Which June 2010 bus cuts should be brought back now?

Shortline Bus

Why Threxx? Does 5th/Madison between 110th and 59 really need '5' bus routes? That why in the late 1990's the "M18" was cut back. It ran during the '80's and '90's between 8th St and Uptown.

IMO 5th/Madison Just needs better headways and SBS service.

If 5th were to get SBS, it'd be the M1, then they'd need to be another local service to supplement. Those routes get a ton of usage.

If 5th were to get SBS, it'd be the M1, then they'd need to be another local service to supplement. Those routes get a ton of usage.

The 5th/Madison lines gets good usage. However it's not M15/BX12/Q44/B46 usage and 5th/Madson does not use artics. Thus no need for M18 to return running down town. If SBS came, the M3 and M4 with increased headways is enough.

Plus Threxx Central Harlem could use a direct line to/from Yankee Stadium and Bronx Gateway Mall. Right now you have only the (2) to (4) transfer at 149th-GC nearby or the (D) way over on St Nicholas. That IMO would increase the "M18" much more than going downtown where there already "4' buses on 5th/Madison coordior.

The 5th/Madison lines gets good usage. However it's not M15/BX12/Q44/B46 usage and 5th/Madson does not use artics. Thus no need for M18 to return running down town. If SBS came, the M3 and M4 with increased headways is enough.

Plus Threxx Central Harlem could use a direct line to/from Yankee Stadium and Bronx Gateway Mall. Right now you have only the (2) to (4) transfer at 149th-GC nearby or the (D) way over on St Nicholas. That IMO would increase the "M18" much more than going downtown where there already "4' buses on 5th/Madison coordior.

If that was to happen, then the 18 should go to Broadway/106th, the M60 to Harlem isn't enough for service to Harlem.

If that was to happen, then the 18 should go to Broadway/106th, the M60 to Harlem isn't enough for service to Harlem.

Correction. You mean Hamilton Heights that the current M60 terminates. And the M18 ending at 106th/Bway. makes more sense than it did pre-Doomsday at 110th St/5th Ave.

Correction. You mean Hamilton Heights that the current M60 terminates. And the M18 ending at 106th/Bway. makes more sense than it did pre-Doomsday at 110th St/5th Ave.

I meant from Hamilton Heights to Harlem on the M60. They need another connection to Harlem from there. I waited too many times for an M60 to get to PathMark...

Most express buses from Staten Island, Brooklyn, and Queens terminate at 57th/3rd, which is less than two miles from the first X90 stop at 92nd/York.

Also, according to the link above, here's a list of buses that have higher operating costs per passenger than the X90 did:

X30

X31

X63

X64

BM2

BM3

BM4

BM5

BxM2

BxM3

BxM11

BxM18

QM3

QM10

QM12

QM16

QM17

QM18

most of these routes have been cut serverely in the last few years except for the qm16/17.

most of these routes have been cut serverely in the last few years except for the qm16/17.

Uh, not true... Where are you getting your information from? I know this isn't true because I ride a lot of these routes and while some have seen some cuts, that haven't been "severely" cut.

What was the X90's run time? Because if headways were cut, it could interlines with itself with using 3-4 buses

This is how it would work (criticism accepted, I'm not too good w/interlining)

2 buses are at either terminus

1 bus from each terminus leaves

When the 1st bus nears the other terminus, the other 2 buses depart

Would this work or not?

How about weekend service on the S54 for coverage reasons?

Indeed... There are plenty of folks that complain about not having it. There is too far of a North - South gap. Basically there is no North - South local bus service from Broadway and Forest all the way until Decker and Forest where you get the S57.

start with midayb service om the bm1-3 from 30mins - 60mins and span cuts also from 650p - 300-330p dependingon routes. in bound sat 320p-400p from 1000p-1030p when the ta took over.

Yeah I know about those cuts, but that's not for the majority of routes and I'm going to be looking to see where some of that service can be restored, especially on the BM lines on Saturdays. They still have service running from the city until 24:00 on the BM1 - BM3 lines on Saturday, so some of those buses could be put back into service instead of having those buses deadhead empty to the city.

The BxM2 and BxM18 in Riverdale for example have not seen severe cuts particularly because ridership on both lines is growing despite the recession.

If I may chime in, I want to the Bx26 & Bx28 to go back to their pre-2010 routes in Co-op City, that's #1 for me.

Also, weekend M8 bus service needs to return, as well as M1 service to South Ferry but it should be 7 days and not just 5 days.

I would think it also had to do with the riders as they wanted their own set of Express Buses in a depot within the borough instead of having buses from another borough run along their route which I can completely understand.

Which is exactly why I said "You don't want to put the x90 at the mercy of some other exp. route"....

Those particular group of riders would complain, and rightfully so....

Were the massive B69 service reductions done during the cuts? The headways on some of those JG routes are insane these days.

What massive B69 reductions are you referring to ?

Does 5th/Madison between 110th and 59 really need '5' bus routes? That why in the late 1990's the "M18" was cut back. It ran during the '80's and '90's between 8th St and Uptown.

That's what happens when comments are made based on incomplete information.....

Anyway, there are plenty other routes that have already been mentioned in this thread where better arguments have been made for their reversion over some M18.....

most of these routes have been cut severely in the last few years except for the qm16/17.

Exaggeration.

What was the X90's run time? Because if headways were cut, it could interlines with itself with using 3-4 buses

This is how it would work (criticism accepted, I'm not too good w/interlining)

2 buses are at either terminus

1 bus from each terminus leaves

When the 1st bus nears the other terminus, the other 2 buses depart

Would this work or not?

The X90 ran peak-direction only, so it wouldn't work.

How about weekend service on the S54 for coverage reasons?

The problem is that ridership was really low. As I've said in the other thread, it would have to be restructured to get enough ridership to bring it back.

That's what happens when comments are made based on incomplete information.....

Anyway, there are plenty other routes that have already been mentioned in this thread where better arguments have been made for their reversion over some M18.....

Exaggeration.

Incomplete Information? Lets see. I rode the M3/18 in the 80's/'90's when i used to busfan the 5th/maidson coordior. Problem is traffic/bus bunching issues and thus why i suggested that coordior between 59 and 110 did not need '5' full time bus lines.

Just answering Threxx suggestion on what to do with the m18.

With that said, sure without a doubt, there several routes that are muh urgent to be restored first than the 'M18."

B35 you should know me by now i dont make comments on incomplete info. :o

Incomplete Information? Lets see. I rode the M3/18 in the 80's/'90's when i used to busfan the 5th/maidson coordior. Problem is traffic/bus bunching issues and thus why i suggested that coordior between 59 and 110 did not need '5' full time bus lines.

Just answering Threxx suggestion on what to do with the m18.

With that said, sure without a doubt, there several routes that are muh urgent to be restored first than the 'M18."

B35 you should know me by now i dont make comments on incomplete info. :o

Dude, wtf, I was AGREEING with you..... My god.

Were you the one that actually suggested bringing back the M18 ?

Double post...

What about Queens? I agree with everything except the M18, if it is to be restored, it could be extended down 5th and Madison to get more ridership. The M1 should not go to South Ferry also, especially not on weekends, it's just too damn long.

I Don't Really Travel In Queens, But Yea U Right about the M18; it does need more ridership

It took me an hour and ten minutes to go from my home to the doctor's office in Kew Gardens Hills. The same commute used to take me half that time when the Q74 existed. Man, there's a big hole in MTA bus service without that route.

I actually have few scenarios for a reactivated Q74 that actually could be useful, but I'll state the one that's the most reasonable.

Q74 Reactivation [Kew Gardens <-> Downtown Flushing].

-The reactivated Q74 will run on it's original route pattern as described on the Mini Map in this PDF document linked in the brackets [ http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/queens/q074cur.pdf ] . However, the Flushing Bound trip will not use 141st St. but Main St. directly.

Flushing Bound:

After the block that houses Queens College, the Flushing Bound Q74 will instead turn left onto Kissena Blvd. and follow the route path taken by the Q17, Q25 and Q34 toward Downtown Flushing.

Kew Gardens Bound:

The Routing will follow the Q17, Q25 and Q34 until Horace Harding Expwy, the bus will then turn right onto Melbourne Ave. and follow the original routing to Kew Gardens.

Verdict:

This will allow an one seat ride from Kew Gardens to Downtown Flushing, the cost of this reactivation is going to be calculated by the ()' /> respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived