Hello fellow transiteers

thirdavel

Transiteers? Did I say that? Hi. I am a transplanted S. Bronxite. I was born one block away from the famous Third Avenue El, near the 156th St. station. Subwaying is in my blood. NYC's subway is awesome indeed, but I crave to ride the tubes in London's system. My wife was born outside of London and we both can't wait to visit and travel around. I've been doing extensive reading on the subject and I just dig all the differences and the sameness of the two systems. I also admire many transit systems from anywhere in the world. I live 100 miles west on Manhattan. I have to drive to Secaucus, NJ. to the Park & Ride, then take the bus to the Port Authority to gain access to all that NYC has to offer. I also admire what was once PATH. They are finally going to put on their new PA5's and that will help return the system to it's glory days. Then, they'll have to put an end to those nasty, bothersome derailments. Anyway, I'm looking forward to participating in this website and learning more about all that is out there.

I have recently recovered from a nasty cancer surgery. Lost a kidney. I have a follow-up exam/tests coming soon to tell me if it's back because the least test showed something on my lungs. But, I have to live my life and get the most out of it every day. I'm not dwelling on it. I only mention it because I have been reading book after book on as many systems as can get my hands on. I've blasted through about 14 books since the beginning of January, a feat for someone who gave up on reading. The fact is, New York City so completely screwed up by tearing down our els without fist completeing the 2nd Avenue project as well as many others which never saw money put in to them. Ever walk up the east side past the 50's? Nothing but aimless buses going where no subway/el exist. Like many other large cities in the U.S., they cannot get enough money of their own, or funds from Uncle Sam to make a dent in their needs. I have little faith in any new administration coming through as long as lobbiest rule the day, and as long as Congress worth less than a fifth of a year. We need a transit revolution! I can dream.(2) (this line runs the closest to my birthplace since the 3rd AvEl was torn down.)

It's good to know there are so many Bronx-born people around. Although, I must say that anyone, anyone at all who love trains of all sorts are good people. In my location, all passenger service ended once and for all in the 80's. At that time, SEPTA had a connection north from Lansdale (R5) to Allentown. Before that, the roads that formed Conrail (for whom I worked 1976-9) ended much of their passenger service in the early 1960's! Norfolk-Southern's main line (to Allentown) runs a stone's throw from here, we hear the horns often. Any chance I get, like days off during the week from my hospital job, I drive to Secaucus and jump on a bus. My last rail trip included my first ride on the Steten Island Ferry and the SIR. That is one rail line that has junk for rolling stock. Too bad. Thank you for your warm welcome. Frank

Born in the S. Bronx (Hegney Pl.) then we moved to Bayside, Queens. To Richmond, Va. for 3 years, then back to Bayside, on to Flushing and finally on Pratt Institute's campus. Love that city.(7)(G)(R)(1)(2)(MTA);)

Archived