MTA Proposes charging surcharge for new MetroCards... Again...

donohue27n-1-web.jpg

"Some people have an abiding respect for the functional beauty of their subway station. Most people don’t.

In the name of Mother Earth — and with visions of cleaner subway stations — the MTA is considering tacking on a $1 “green fee” to the price of a new MetroCard.

Reducing the amount of plastic that gets tossed to the subway floor and then entombed in the ground for eternity is hardly a bad goal.

A MetroCard surcharge on top of yet another fare hike, however, stinks like the bottom of a subway stairwell after a Rangers game.

A Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman couldn’t immediately say how many MetroCards wind up in landfills, but the agency prints about 160 million of the plastic travel passes a year. It’s simply too much for the origami enthusiasts to take care of."

Read more:

http://www.nydailyne...59?comment=true

----

I think this is a good idea because there is simply too much waste and garbage around in the system. What folks don't realize is that the (MTA) has to spend money to print these things and if they can be refilled, folks should be refilling them and not just tossing them on the ground. I mean I prefer to buy new ones here and to replace the old ones simply because I don't want to have problems when I dip on the express bus or on the MetroNorth shuttle bus or whatever, BUT I do recycle mine. Most folks don't. Is it a surcharge? Yes. Folks are up in arms because they're used to getting many things that one would pay for in other countries for free. When you have to pay for things, it is funny how much people can conserve. I DON'T think however one should have to pay the $1.00 surcharge for a defective card, which is something that hasn't been clarified yet in this proposal to my knowledge.

The Daily News words it to make it sound as bad as possible, but this is actually an excellent idea. Making these cards costs money, and the MTA should get some of its investment back.

And yes, I agree that defective cards should be exempt from the charge.

The Daily News words it to make it sound as bad as possible, but this is actually an excellent idea. Making these cards costs money, and the MTA should get some of its investment back.

And yes, I agree that defective cards should be exempt from the charge.

Well they do have a point. I mean some businesses do encourage recycling by giving money back to the customer, which is what the (MTA) could do. For example, Whole Foods gives me back .10 cents every time I don't use one of their bags, but I still agree with the surcharge. Less garbage in all the stations too, and perhaps you would have fewer of those low lives walking around the stations picking up MetroCards trying to see if there is anything on them since theoretically you would have fewer of them on the floor.

On the other hand, IIRC the MTA reported that it received a rather large sum of money from customers who discarded Metrocards with odd amounts left (such as 45 cents or something similar). Have they calculated how much money they will stop earning from that?

On the other hand, IIRC the MTA reported that it received a rather large sum of money from customers who discarded Metrocards with odd amounts left (such as 45 cents or something similar). Have they calculated how much money they will stop earning from that?

Good question. The thing is even if those folks keep refilling the cards with odd amounts (which comes from the dumb bonus amounts given by the (MTA) in the first place), once those cards expire, they'd still get that money back. I mean the vending machines won't let you put in odd amounts to make the amounts left over even so that all monies on the card is used, so that most certainly should be changed if they're going to charge a $1.00 surcharge. In fact that IMO is out and out robbery compared to this, which is why when I do buy pay-per-rides, I get just enough for the express bus so that a bonus won't kick in, this way all monies is used. Now I suppose if you wanted to add odd amounts you could do so by going to a token booth clerk and paying with cash, but you should be able to add odd amounts using a debit, credit or charge card as well, because you don't a receipt if you pay in cash.

I think the MTA rather you carry a larger balance on a card then a few cents on lets say 5 cards. The reason being the collect interest on the money that they have. That is why they push for people to buy monthy cards or pay express cards.

Good question. The thing is even if those folks keep refilling the cards with odd amounts (which comes from the dumb bonus amounts given by the (MTA) in the first place), once those cards expire, they'd still get that money back. I mean the vending machines won't let you put in odd amounts to make the amounts left over even so that all monies on the card is used, so that most certainly should be changed if they're going to charge a $1.00 surcharge. In fact that IMO is out and out robbery compared to this, which is why when I do buy pay-per-rides, I get just enough for the express bus so that a bonus won't kick in, this way all monies is used. Now I suppose if you wanted to add odd amounts you could do so by going to a token booth clerk and paying with cash, but you should be able to add odd amounts using a debit, credit or charge card as well, because you don't a receipt if you pay in cash.

That's why people with even a bit of time sit down with a calculator and figure out how much to add to get an amount divisible by 2.25. It's not very difficult.

For instance, if I have 45 cents on a card, I should add $10.10. With the bonus, that will give me a total of $11.257, which is 5 rides with $0.007 left over.

Well they do have a point. I mean some businesses do encourage recycling by giving money back to the customer, which is what the (MTA) could do. For example, Whole Foods gives me back .10 cents every time I don't use one of their bags, but I still agree with the surcharge. Less garbage in all the stations too, and perhaps you would have fewer of those low lives walking around the stations picking up MetroCards trying to see if there is anything on them since theoretically you would have fewer of them on the floor.

Really now?

No No No No and No..

Fare hikes, surcharges for buying new metrocards.. They really must think I have an ATM at my house huh..

There's a simple solution: Keep your MetroCard and refill it until it expires...

I mean the vending machines won't let you put in odd amounts to make the amounts left over even so that all monies on the card is used, so that most certainly should be changed if they're going to charge a $1.00 surcharge.
What do you mean? The vending machines let you put on whatever amount you want.
In fact that IMO is out and out robbery compared to this, which is why when I do buy pay-per-rides, I get just enough for the express bus so that a bonus won't kick in, this way all monies is used.
What's the purpose of that?

Really now?

Really now what? It's true.

That's why people with even a bit of time sit down with a calculator and figure out how much to add to get an amount divisible by 2.25. It's not very difficult.

For instance, if I have 45 cents on a card, I should add $10.10. With the bonus, that will give me a total of $11.257, which is 5 rides with $0.007 left over.

That's not the point. The point is sometimes the bonus that you're given gives you an odd amount on your card and when you go to add an amount on the card which will ensure that NOTHING is left over from the rides you take, you're not allowed to do so with the vending machine. That was the point I was making. If they're going to give you an odd amount with the bonus, they should allow you to add odd amounts so that nothing is left over and you shouldn't be forced to go to a teller to do that. You should be able to do so at a vending machine.

What do you mean? The vending machines let you put on whatever amount you want.What's the purpose of that?

Uh no they don't. They only allow round amounts. In other words, try putting say $2.11 instead of $2.10 and they won't allow it, even though your card has an odd amount on it.

There's a simple solution: Keep your MetroCard and refill it until it expires...

Do realize that a Metrocard is only a flimsy piece of plastic.. over time it gets worn out as you use it.. especially an Unlimited card with lots and lots of usage; more than once I've had unlimiteds crap out on me with the read errors..

Yeah, I really want to know how does that make someone a low-life by picking up a metro-card off a floor...it's not like they are fare-beating...

The same ones that walk around picking up MetroCards are usually the same ones I see swiping rides, so spare me with they're so innocent message. I know exactly what I'm talking about because there are hoards of them by the entrance there at Union Square by Whole Foods. The (MTA) acknowledged for a while that there was a way to get more rides off of old MetroCards with nothing on them, hence why they go around picking them up.

Uh no they don't. They only allow round amounts. In other words, try putting say $2.11 instead of $2.10 and they won't allow it, even though your card has an odd amount on it.

Actually when you choose refill your metrocard, you can add as low as a nickel

Done it plenty of times

Do realize that a Metrocard is only a flimsy piece of plastic.. over time it gets worn out as you use it.. especially an Unlimited card with lots and lots of usage; more than once I've had unlimiteds crap out on me with the read errors..

That's why you do your best to take care of it.

The same ones that walk around picking up MetroCards are usually the same ones I see swiping rides, so spare me with they're so innocent message. I know exactly what I'm talking about because there are hoards of them by the entrance there at Union Square by Whole Foods. The (MTA) acknowledged for a while that there was a way to get more rides off of old MetroCards with nothing on them, hence why they go around picking them up.

I pick up metro cards in stations myself just to see if there is any money on it..... I don't go swiping rides....

Actually when you choose refill your metrocard, you can add as low as a nickel

Done it plenty of times

Correct, and that's exactly the point. Why give a bonus with an odd amount and not allow anything lower than a nickel? A nickel will still leave me with something left over on the card if the card already has an add amount on the card... I want a ZERO balance otherwise, they'll eventually be getting more money from me over time. It sounds petty but you do that to thousands of people over time and you'll make a nice amount that way since that stuff is all computerized anyway.

I pick up metro cards in stations myself just to see if there is any money on it..... I don't go swiping rides....

Well good for you, but you know what I'm talking about and there are plenty of them that walk around trying to scam the system hence why the (MTA) has made some changes with MetroCards.

Actually have multiple unlimiteds. Bigger profit

Oh, yeah. I forgot that the machines don't allow pennies...

Still, I don't understand why you're willing to LOSE money to avoid having money left over on your card. What's the point of that? When you refill your metrocard (multiple times), you'll benefit from the bonus.

I thought this plan was already coming, as of 2010s plan?

Regardless, this IS a good idea. Why throw out a good, working card if you can just refill it? Its like having a Credit/Debit Card. Besides, it gets annoying seeing MetroCards all over the floor. Reduced Fare/Universal/PD&FD/Students Passes are kept, now do the same thing for regulars!

The people who sell metrocard swipes do not pick up their metrocards from the floor.. they usually have their own Unlimited metrocards, and as said many of them have 2-3 unlimited's so they aren't always constrained by the 18 minute grace period.. I once saw a guy at the M15 Select Bus stop by Madison Street who was able to sell 3 tickets at a time since he had 3 metrocards on him

Archived