MTA Proposes charging surcharge for new MetroCards... Again...

Maybe the leave odd amounts to leave a hint as to refill (and therefore recycling the card) the card until you reach zero...

...but then again, its the MTA we talking about, that's too smart thinking of them

Oh, yeah. I forgot that the machines don't allow pennies...

Still, I don't understand why you're willing to LOSE money to avoid having money left over on your card. What's the point of that? When you refill your metrocard (multiple times), you'll benefit from the bonus.

Well it's a matter or principal for me. You see I want to make money off of other people, not the other way around. I usually buy the Unlimited Express Bus Plus so obviously once it expires that is it since it is a pass and I save more the more that I ride but occasionally I need a pay-per-ride for a day or two so that I start the week off using an Unlimited card on a certain day (preferably Monday), this way if there is a holiday or something, it is less likely that I'll lose days with an Unlimited card, plus I won't forget as easily when it comes time to refill or whatever, so once that pay-per-ride is over that's it. I hate seeing amounts left on it, because it is likely that I won't need a pay-per-ride for a long time, and further more I just hate the idea of giving the (MTA) more of my money, even if it is a small amount.

The people who sell metrocard swipes do not pick up their metrocards from the floor.. they usually have their own Unlimited metrocards, and as said many of them have 2-3 unlimited's so they aren't always constrained by the 18 minute grace period.. I once saw a guy at the M15 Select Bus stop by Madison Street who was able to sell 3 tickets at a time since he had 3 metrocards on him

Yeah, usually but in any event it is ILLEGAL to sell swipes, so it is still a form of farebeating if you will and that's why they're still lowlives IMO because they're stealing from the system purposely. I can see someone giving someone a ride whose MetroCard doesn't work or something, but to stand at a turnstile and try to get people to give them your money so that you can swiple them is clearly trying to rob the (MTA).

Maybe the leave odd amounts to leave a hint as to refill (and therefore recycling the card) the card until you reach zero...

...but then again, its the MTA we talking about, that's too smart thinking of them

You could refill all you want because you would still likely end up with a balance that wasn't zero. With the old bonus they gave you never had odd amounts on it. They should go back to that.

I believe that they should only start charging for metrocards after the system is changed over similar to what PATH has.

Speaking of PATH, it would be nice if they could allow Transfers to/from NYCTA. Allow Unlimited as well. That would be a true regional system. Besides Bee-Line and NICE. Plus it sucks, you gotta buy a new card instead of keeping it, when going between PATH and TA.

Yeah but if you're left with odd amounts that you can't use then it really isn't a bonus now is it... <_<

1. Some people can use the bonus. Yes, it would be better if the machines accepted all amounts, but the bonus is still better than no bonus.

2. You said, "I don't want to give more of my money to the MTA," which makes no sense because it's a free bonus...If you said, "I only pay for the number of rides that I think I'll need," that would make perfect sense. The bonus shouldn't affect how much money you put on your card.

1. Some people can use the bonus. Yes, it would be better if the machines accepted all amounts, but the bonus is still better than no bonus.

2. You said, "I don't want to give more of my money to the MTA," which makes no sense because it's a free bonus...If you said, "I only pay for the number of rides that I think I'll need," that would make perfect sense. The bonus shouldn't affect how much money you put on your card.

Well if I put an amount on the card that will leave a zero balance and elect not to put an amount that will trigger a bonus then that's my decision, which is what I do now. The point is if they really wanted to give us a "bonus" they'd simply go to a bonus that can still allow one to have a zero balance OR allow us to refill the cards to make those balances even so that they can still be zero, otherwise IMO it isn't really a true bonus for many people. My co-worker used to complain about that as well. He hated having those stupid amounts left on it, so I would tell him the exact amount to put on there so that the amount would be zero.

If you keep refilling, the bonus will come up to a ride, so that's something to think about...

lol... Yeah assuming the card doesn't expire by then and you actually use Pay-Per-ride Metrocards a lot, which I don't.

Well if you have a card with a few cents left, you can ask the MC booth clerk to transfer the amount from 1 card to the other.

=

I can understand why some ppl might 'hoard' cards, some might want to keep them like trading cards for the designs on the back like years ago with the centennial stuff.

Really now?

Yeah, i agree, not everyone that does that is trying to scam the system. It's like bums digging for cans and bottles, just in this case the person will dig around for whatever amts a card has to eventually gather up for a whole fare or something. I mean if ppl want to dig around for leftovers, not my problem. Better than to let the cards stick to the floor like trash.

@ Via Garibaldi 8, my point is, if I'm going to put $20.00 into the machine, I'd rather have a $21.40 MetroCard than a $20.00 one. I got the $1.40 for free, so who cares if I don't spend it? And, I might be able to spend it. That's what I'm trying to say, that there's no point in avoiding the free bonus, since it's free.

Well if you have a card with a few cents left, you can ask the MC booth clerk to transfer the amount from 1 card to the other.

=

I can understand why some ppl might 'hoard' cards, some might want to keep them like trading cards for the designs on the back like years ago with the centennial stuff.

Yeah, i agree, not everyone that does that is trying to scam the system. It's like bums digging for cans and bottles, just in this case the person will dig around for whatever amts a card has to eventually gather up for a whole fare or something. I mean if ppl want to dig around for leftovers, not my problem. Better than to let the cards stick to the floor like trash.

I'm one of those guys that picks up the metrocards on the buses and 7 out of 10 times it has value over $2 or an Unlimited. Hell, as long as it saves me money!

@ Via Garibaldi 8, my point is, if I'm going to put $20.00 into the machine, I'd rather have a $21.40 MetroCard than a $20.00 one. I got the $1.40 for free, so who cares if I don't spend it? And, I might be able to spend it. That's what I'm trying to say, that there's no point in avoiding the free bonus, since it's free.

Well I get your point and my point is that if someone "chooses" to take that bonus, they should be able to refill the card accordingly so that it can be used fully used with zero balance. I really don't like keeping Metrocards in my wallet with odd amounts because I usually carry two MetroCards at a time (one Unlimited Express Bus Plus card), plus a back up Unlimited Express Bus Plus card in case the other one malfunctions, so having that third card there could just confuses me, which happened to me the other day. Picked up the wrong card in a hurry and left the one I needed at home...

I'm one of those guys that picks up the metrocards on the buses and 7 out of 10 times it has value over $2 or an Unlimited. Hell, as long as it saves me money!

Yup, I don't see anything wrong with it. I normally check some of the cards next to the MC reader (mainly if it's got a unique back design), but if it has any money on it, then that's a bonus.

Your kidding. You put ads on MetroCards and now this. My MetroCard expires late September. I'm gonna get a few of them before the start this so I can refill them! Just select a custom amount and put only 5-10 bucks on each one before they do this. I hope they don't.

EDIT: I wish you could put two bonuses together and get a ride.

I remember this one time that I had five or six cards in my wallet at once and had to add $1.10 each to make them all add up to something divisible by $2.25. They didn't last very long though. Now I have only one left with like 6 rides on it. I will keep refilling that one until it peters out.

In Re: Bonuses, I wish they were rounded to the nearest 5cent mark. Because when I have $1.18 left on a card, those extra 3 cents go to waste. Small thing, but ridiculously annoying.

I remember this one time that I had five or six cards in my wallet at once and had to add $1.10 each to make them all add up to something divisible by $2.25. They didn't last very long though. Now I have only one left with like 6 rides on it. I will keep refilling that one until it peters out.

In Re: Bonuses, I wish they were rounded to the nearest 5cent mark. Because when I have $1.18 left on a card, those extra 3 cents go to waste. Small thing, but ridiculously annoying.

That's exactly what I've been complaining about... Either round it up to the near 5 cent mark or allow folks to put odd amounts on it so that it can even out accordingly.

Before I retired, I had "Transitcheck" which deducted an amount from my bi-weekly pay check and once a month, I would receive a 30 day unlimited card. Does this mean that people that have "Transitcheck" will have to pay the surcharge as they cannot refill their card as they receive a new one each and every month by mail that they have this deduction?

This brings up another problem with these cards as many times, the card would have a problem and I would have to buy a weekly (or sometimes) another monthly card to so that I could continue riding until I received my new card. Again do I have to pay the surcharge even though it was not my fault?

Are the machines on the buses that take the Metrocards and provide transfers to the cash paying customers going to be cleaned more often or are the users still going to have problems with their cards as the machines frequently cause the cards to become unusable and the person has to buy another card to take advantage of the bus-subway metrocard transfer privilege?

Yes! i do refill my card each and every time I need to place more money on it but I will only do it if there is a station agent working the booth. It is not that I do not trust machines but I prefer it this way even though this method has had its problems as well.

Before I retired, I had "Transitcheck" which deducted an amount from my bi-weekly pay check and once a month, I would receive a 30 day unlimited card. Does this mean that people that have "Transitcheck" will have to pay the surcharge as they cannot refill their card as they receive a new one each and every month by mail that they have this deduction?

This brings up another problem with these cards as many times, the card would have a problem and I would have to buy a weekly (or sometimes) another monthly card to so that I could continue riding until I received my new card. Again do I have to pay the surcharge even though it was not my fault?

Are the machines on the buses that take the Metrocards and provide transfers to the cash paying customers going to be cleaned more often or are the users still going to have problems with their cards as the machines frequently cause the cards to become unusable and the person has to buy another card to take advantage of the bus-subway metrocard transfer privilege?

Yes! i do refill my card each and every time I need to place more money on it but I will only do it if there is a station agent working the booth. It is not that I do not trust machines but I prefer it this way even though this method has had its problems as well.

Well the (MTA) hasn't clarified that part yet, but if they do it would show what thieves they are. While they're at it, they should reconfigure those bloody machines so that if your card is defective you can get a new card on the spot even if it is an unlimited card.

P.S. I did the Transit Check for a while too. Problem with that was my old company didn't carry Unlimited Express Bus Plus cards which at the time were $41.00. The checks given were in amounts of $50.00 and the stores didn't want to give back the difference so I stopped bothering.

That's why people with even a bit of time sit down with a calculator and figure out how much to add to get an amount divisible by 2.25. It's not very difficult.

For instance, if I have 45 cents on a card, I should add $10.10. With the bonus, that will give me a total of $11.257, which is 5 rides with $0.007 left over.

The only problem is if you use the express bus, since that's not a multiple of $2.25.

The old system back ~ 5 years ago was great. $2 for the local bus, $4 for the express bus, and a 20% bonus. B) That's why I think the express bus fare should be twice the local fare off-peak, 2.5 times the fare during rush hour, and with either a 10% or 20% bonus.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that the machines don't allow pennies...

Still, I don't understand why you're willing to LOSE money to avoid having money left over on your card. What's the point of that? When you refill your metrocard (multiple times), you'll benefit from the bonus.

You could always add it at a token booth.

I just keep on combining them. Maybe a few years down the line, the MTA will squeeze a few cents out of me but it's better than constantly getting rid of $0.50 or whatever every time my card runs low.

Yeah, usually but in any event it is ILLEGAL to sell swipes, so it is still a form of farebeating if you will and that's why they're still lowlives IMO because they're stealing from the system purposely. I can see someone giving someone a ride whose MetroCard doesn't work or something, but to stand at a turnstile and try to get people to give them your money so that you can swiple them is clearly trying to rob the (MTA).

Uh, we're talking about 2 completely groups of people. <_<

Yeah but if you're left with odd amounts that you can't use then it really isn't a bonus now is it... <_<

Except that those little bonuses add up to an amount you can use if you're smart and don't throw the cards away.

The MTA will squeeze nothing out of you. It's a free bonus.

I realize they don't have to give a bonus, but let's face it. They're around to encourage folks to use PUBLIC TRANSIT, so spare me with the bonus part, like they're doing such a good deed just because they want to be nice. If they didn't offer one, folks would wonder what their priorities are or better yet they would say why even bother with public transit when I can just use my car.

Besides like I said, I RARELY buy pay-per-rides anyway, so that bonus doesn't really benefit me all that much to go keeping old cars with dumb amounts on them.

The MTA will squeeze nothing out of you. It's a free bonus.

C'mon, you know what I meant. There may be money I don't use that I had the opportunity to use.

I could always dip it in and add the rest in coins, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm still losing out (it's just by a few cents, so I'll let it slide) because I'm not getting a bonus on the coins I'm dropping in.

As far as I'm concerned, the fare is $2.10 because that's what it comes out to with the bonus. If the farebox takes off a nickel (which I basically paid 4 cents for), that basically means the fare was $2.24 and not $2.10.

Archived