Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
error46146

Extra Bus Transfer on Metrocards:

I've been thinking about this, and I think that the MTA should give us an extra bus transfer on our Metrocards. The whole big thing made in the late 90s about Metrocard Gold is the introduction of the subway-bus transfer, eliminating double-fare zones. However, in some cases one transfer is not enough and to get between certain points one still has to pay a double fare, no matter what route they take.

Take these commutes for example:

Hollis to East Elmhurst - $2.25 for the Q110, Transfer for the subway, another $2.25 to hop on the Q47.

Maspeth to Bayside- $2.25 for the Q59, Transfer for the subway, another $2.25 for the Q12.

Glendale to Orchard Beach - $2.25 for the Q53, Transfer for the subway, another $2.25 for the Bx12.

Yes the situations may be few and far-between, but they do exist and I think that by providing an additional transfer it will help eliminate situations like this. Any thoughts?

• Upvote 1

They already give extra transfers in some cases. It's just a question of whether or not the area in question has a lot of people in need of the extra transfer I guess. In some cases there aren't so you have to suck it up and pay again. A simple solution would be to offer the fun pass again for those that need to do a lot of traveling for just one day or a few days or whatever. You get a few of those and that's it.

Yea I'm still really pissed off they got rid of the FunPass, they really need to bring that back too ASAP..

However as said the MTA's goal with MetroCard and the free transfers (along with eliminating the fare on the SI Ferry) was to allow people to get from Point A to Point B on one fare, and there are certain situations where you just simply can't do it due to the way the trains and buses are routed.

• Upvote 1

Umm, the MTA is doing terribly financially and the last thing that they should do is give people an extra transfer which cuts down on the amount of revenue they make.

• Upvote 1

Umm, the MTA is doing terribly financially and the last thing that they should do is give people an extra transfer which cuts down on the amount of revenue they make.

I would agree with that IF their service cuts in some cases didn't force many into having to pay an additional fare that they didn't have to pay before.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

From my rides, if the B6 is the 2nd bus you get on, you will get a 3rd free transfer. (B41, B6, B46). I dunno how many other '3 leg' transfers there are, but I'm sure there are others.

From my rides, if the B6 is the 2nd bus you get on, you will get a 3rd free transfer. (B41, B6, B46). I dunno how many other '3 leg' transfers there are, but I'm sure there are others.

That I know of...

-The B6

-Any SBS

-Any route on SI south of the SIRT, then the train itself, then any Lower Manhattan bus or train station (or some shit like that)

• Upvote 2

-Any route on SI south of the SIRT, then the train itself, then any Lower Manhattan bus or train station (or some shit like that)

That's right.

I heard that if you have an S5x route in the middle, you get a second transfer. I know I've done S46-S53-S48 before, and I think I've done a few transfers with the S59 in the middle.

the bus gives two Xfers on the MetroCard/Coins. well at least NICE does. which is weird because it was the same way when the (MTA) ran LIB

They definitely should bring back the Fun Pass, most other cities' transit systems have 1 day passes.

for the (MTA) s sake, they should ONLY sell it on Weekends and ONLY at MVMs/NYCT Station Booths

Why the restrictions? For a person that rides once in a while, but needs to do a bunch of errands or a tourist visiting for a day, those fun passes were great. They should be brought back. Charge about $10 for it, so a person would need to ride 5 times to get the most out of it.

That I know of...

-The B6

-Any SBS

I guess that explains the one time I did SBS12->Bx12->Bx23 on one fare, I thought the Bx23's farebox was dirty or glitched. I guess that's also why a lot of local Bx12 B/O's dont take SBS receipts anymore...

Bee-Line has one too when you transfer between the 20 and 21.

I guess that explains the one time I did SBS12->Bx12->Bx23 on one fare, I thought the Bx23's farebox was dirty or glitched. I guess that's also why a lot of local Bx12 B/O's dont take SBS receipts anymore...

Bee-Line has one too when you transfer between the 20 and 21.

You automatically get a free transfer from the SBS to its local counterpart and vice versa

So if I go from the train to Bx12 SBS to the Bx12 that's all one fare?! Now that's beautiful. I think I see rainbows coming out of my wallet.

I've gotten numerous three-leg transfers when I used to work out in Nassau County, some days I'd be taking the N72 to the N6 and rarely I'd get the third transfer switching to the Q17

I've been thinking about this, and I think that the MTA should give us an extra bus transfer on our Metrocards.

My own pie-in-the-sky idea is to scrap ALL transfer privileges in favor of a fixed-time pass. After the first dip or swipe, you'd have your run of the entire base system (subways and local/Limited/SBS buses) for some set amount of time, say 3 or 4 hours. It would make the system easier to use and understand, and it should be much easier to program than the vast to-and-from matrix currently in use.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.
  • Upvote 4

I hate the fact that on the (F) at 63rd street in manhattan the announcement is that you have a "free transfer" to the 6 by walking to the 59th stret station, but it isn't actually a free transfer for those of us that had to use the bus to get to the (F) in queens. I really should complain to the MTA about that one.

• Upvote 1

My own pie-in-the-sky idea is to scrap ALL transfer privileges in favor of a fixed-time pass. After the first dip or swipe, you'd have your run of the entire base system (subways and local/Limited/SBS buses) for some set amount of time, say 3 or 4 hours. It would make the system easier to use and understand, and it should be much easier to program than the vast to-and-from matrix currently in use.

That's just too greedy... If they want all of that then buy an unlimited pass...

My travel today...

BxM2 from Riverdale... Got to the city and stopped off for a macchiato and apricot madeline and then walked over to the BM3.

Went to barber, walked to Stop & Shop and then got the BM3 to Midtown... Transferred to M57... Made a stop at Whole Foods and then BxM2 back to Riverdale....

All on a Express Bus Plus Unlimited Metrocard... That's the answer... Asking for free transfers like that on $2.25 is just too much.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I believe they have a similar system down in Washington DC.. That's not too bad of an idea either tbh

It's an excellent idea. Subways are 'free transfers' because you are within the system. Ideally, one can swipe on one bus and hop on bus to bus (especially if they want to ride a more frequent bus, but have to travel further away to get to it, etc.). I'm all for a 3-4 hr unlimited pass idea.

That's just too greedy... If they want all of that then buy an unlimited pass...

The systems that do that charge more than the base fare. They would probably charge like $4.50 or $5 for something like that.

Wow! Gotham a changed man. Actually making an otherwise great suggestion instead of being a critic often to posts lol. :lol:

My travel today...

BxM2 from Riverdale... Got to the city and stopped off for a macchiato and apricot madeline and then walked over to the BM3.

Went to barber, walked to Stop & Shop and then got the BM3 to Midtown... Transferred to M57... Made a stop at Whole Foods and then BxM2 back to Riverdale....

All on a Express Bus Plus Unlimited Metrocard... That's the answer... Asking for free transfers like that on $2.25 is just too much.

VG8 not everyone in this economy could afford about $100 a month for 30-day Unlimited Metrocard.

I think a compromise is that the PPR time limit be expanded to 3 hours and allow '1' more transfer i.e bus-subway-bus or bus-bus-bus. Remember since the '10 Doomsday Cuts many riders now must use as much as 2 transfers.