Extra Bus Transfer on Metrocards:

error46146

VG8 not everyone in this economy could afford about $100 a month for 30-day Unlimited Metrocard.

I think a compromise is that the PPR time limit be expanded to 3 hours and allow '1' more transfer i.e bus-subway-bus or bus-bus-bus. Remember since the '10 Doomsday Cuts many riders now must use as much as 2 transfers.

I don't think you're really going to have a whole lot of trips that require more than the current 2 hour & 18 minute timeframe. But a third transfer would definitely help (there are trips like say, from East Flatbush to Manhattan Beach where you're better off taking the bus to the subway and then taking a bus at the other end instead of taking two buses. Or say from Riverdale to East Midtown where the best route would be to take the Bx7/10 to the (1) to a crosstown bus instead of having to take the Bx10 to the (4) or something if you want to avoid the express bus).

I hate the fact that on the (F) at 63rd street in manhattan the announcement is that you have a "free transfer" to the 6 by walking to the 59th stret station, but it isn't actually a free transfer for those of us that had to use the bus to get to the (F) in queens. I really should complain to the MTA about that one.

Yes, I've wondered about that also....I've never done it, but I thought I read somewhere here that if you transfered to either of those two subway stations, it would be free even if you had come from a bus before that, or could still transfer to a bus after that (not both)....

I think another example was from the E or M to/from the 7 at 23rd street/Court Square stations prior to them building a physical connection. There may be some others like that out there.

I remember when you could get a free transfer paper ticket at the Nassau station in Manhattan if you paid your fare there and took the A train across to Jay Street, and then used the ticket to enter the Bridge/Jay Myrtle Avenue El station. Only good in that direction, IIRC. Talk about convoluted regulations...... :rolleyes:

Yes, I've wondered about that also....I've never done it, but I thought I read somewhere here that if you transfered to either of those two subway stations, it would be free even if you had come from a bus before that, or could still transfer to a bus after that (not both)....

I can tell you from personal experience that is not true. I get charged a second time when i go to the 6 from the F.

One reason I prefer the express bus to the E or F to get the the east side is transferring totone damn 6. If I take the F and have to go out of the station to catch the 6, it costs me 4.50. I might as well spend the steal dollar for a nice, 1-seat ride on the QM1. And of course the E tran transfer at 51st street is a huge pain in the butt with that long staircase up to the lex line.

VG8 not everyone in this economy could afford about $100 a month for 30-day Unlimited Metrocard.

I think a compromise is that the PPR time limit be expanded to 3 hours and allow '1' more transfer i.e bus-subway-bus or bus-bus-bus. Remember since the '10 Doomsday Cuts many riders now must use as much as 2 transfers.

Yeah but if you read my posts earlier I said that those who need to run a bunch of errands should have access to get the Fun Pass and those that now require a third transfer due to cuts should get it, but I still don't like the idea of having access to whatever local buses and subways that are available in X amount of time on a pay-per-ride pass. The standard transfer is sufficient. I would keep the Fun Pass $7.00 and make sure certain swipe restrictions were on it to avoid folks trying to swipe free rides at the subway turnstiles.

I suggest the 1-Day Fun Pass be set at $9.00-$12.00 price point reflecting fare increases.

As for Pay-Per-Ride, I would suggest two transfers when only using local buses and Select Buses, as for subway and express buses, it's one transfer. This way, things would work for the customer as well as the (MTA).

$9.00 is good for the fun pass. Maybe you could refill those cards.

No transfers from express bus to express bus to. Select buses should have 1 transfer to save money.

Express bus - express bus already has 1 transfer. I think you should still keep that transfer. I mean, if it's one city, one fare then taking 2 express buses allows you to get across the city for one fare.

$9.00 is good for the fun pass. Maybe you could refill those cards.

No transfers from express bus to express bus to. Select buses should have 1 transfer to save money.

Are you referring to Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards or the Fun Pass when you refer to the express bus? Many folks have to transfer between express buses, so that would not go over well at all with riders. They already get one transfer with the Pay-Per-Ride and there should be some benefit to using a MetroCard. Fun Passes to my knowledge can not be used on express buses so that isn't an issue.

Are you referring to Pay-Per-Ride Metrocards or the Fun Pass when you refer to the express bus? Many folks have to transfer between express buses, so that would not go over well at all with riders. They already get one transfer with the Pay-Per-Ride and there should be some benefit to using a MetroCard. Fun Passes to my knowledge can not be used on express buses so that isn't an issue.

The fun-pass should be around $10 for express buses. I tried to seperate those two ideas. It didn't work.

The fun-pass should be around $10 for express buses. I tried to seperate those two ideas. It didn't work.

I don't think there should be a fun pass for express buses... It's a premium fare for a reason... You either buy the Unlimited weekly or you use a Pay-Per-Ride. I do however think that a monthly pass should make a comeback. MetroNorth and the LIRR have one, so the express bus should have one also. It is something that I'm considering mentioning at a (MTA) meeting which could help boost ridership on express buses and also be more attractive to who it is for... Upper middle and other middle class professionals.

How about making two variants of the Fun Pass then?

Fun Pass = $9.00 (good for use on local buses and NYC subways)

Fun Pass+ = $12.00 (good for use on express buses, local buses, SIRT and NYC subways)

Well I don't think it would be good for the (MTA). I mean think about it. The express bus is $5.50 each way, so all you need is basically two rides two get within a $1 of $12.00. I think a monthly Express Bus pass should be in place first before an express bus Fun Pass came about. For me, to be honest, I would prefer it because it is rather annoying buying the weekly Express Bus Plus pass. I usually get two weeks worth but if I wanted to buy a month's worth at a time, I would have to use another card in addition to my American Express charge card, which gives me more points amongst other things. They claimed the reason they stopped it was because it was too expensive to replace, but then how do you justify monthly passes for MetroNorth and the LIRR?

Well I don't think it would be good for the (MTA). I mean think about it. The express bus is $5.50 each way, so all you need is basically two rides two get within a $1 of $12.00. I think a monthly Express Bus pass should be in place first before an express bus Fun Pass came about. For me, to be honest, I would prefer it because it is rather annoying buying the weekly Express Bus Plus pass. I usually get two weeks worth but if I wanted to buy a month's worth at a time, I would have to use another card in addition to my American Express charge card, which gives me more points amongst other things. They claimed the reason they stopped it was because it was too expensive to replace, but then how do you justify monthly passes for MetroNorth and the LIRR?

It's all BS lol. Hopefully you employer offers transit check and you can reap the pre-tax savings because I know it's not cheap lol.

It's all BS lol. Hopefully you employer offers transit check and you can reap the pre-tax savings because I know it's not cheap lol.

I used to do Transit Check, but it was too much of a hassle to find places that took them since you can only use them at Check cashing places or stores. I was getting the checks but my boss wasn't deducting them so I basically had free transit for a few months, but the real issue at the time was that the amount for each pass was $41.00 a week while the check amount was $50.00 a piece. In addition to finding a place that took them you had to have the exact amount because they didn't want to give any change so I just stopped bothering. As far as now though, I get some free rides with my American Express card because I just take points that I get for certain transit charges like that and pay for them that way. For example some of my MetroNorth trips cost me nothing. As far as expense goes, it's actually cheaper for me now that I moved from Staten Island to Riverdale. I don't need a car since everything is within walking distance, including the express bus and Hudson Rail link, so $200 - $300 I spend a month between the express bus and MetroNorth is a steal quite frankly and a monthly pass would be an even bigger steal. lol

How about making two variants of the Fun Pass then?

Fun Pass = $9.00 (good for use on local buses and NYC subways)

Fun Pass+ = $12.00 (good for use on express buses, local buses, SIRT and NYC subways)

Okay, let me put my 2 cents into this:

Fun Pass = $9.00 (good for use on Local Buses, SIRTOA and NYC Subway as the previous Fun Pass also does).

Fun Pass + = $15.00 (good for use on all Regular Fun Pass Routes plus Express Buses and Commuter Rail Zone 1).

Note: I am using a MBTA-esque model for the Fun Pass +.

Okay, let me put my 2 cents into this:

Fun Pass = $9.00 (good for use on Local Buses, SIRTOA and NYC Subway as the previous Fun Pass also does).

Fun Pass + = $15.00 (good for use on all Regular Fun Pass Routes plus Express Buses and Commuter Rail Zone 1).

Note: I am using a MBTA-esque model for the Fun Pass +.

Yeah if anything $15.00 would be a better rate for the (MTA) for a Fun Pass for Express Buses, but having it for Commuter Rails too? I don't know about that. It's not a bad idea, but it seems like the (MTA) needs so much money to run MetroNorth and the LIRR which I don't get seeing how full those trains are.

Yeah if anything $15.00 would be a better rate for the (MTA) for a Fun Pass for Express Buses, but having it for Commuter Rails too? I don't know about that. It's not a bad idea, but it seems like the (MTA) needs so much money to run MetroNorth and the LIRR which I don't get seeing how full those trains are.

I can agree. Sometimes trains are just empty in the Bronx on the MetroNorth.

I can agree. Sometimes trains are just empty in the Bronx on the MetroNorth.

True because once my train stops at Spuyten Duyvil and there in Marble Hill, there are very few people that get on at the stops in the neighborhoods in the Bronx. I'm kind of curious about the other stops in the Bronx on say the Harlem Line... Are any of those stations well used?

True because once my train stops at Spuyten Duyvil and there in Marble Hill, there are very few people that get on at the stops in the neighborhoods in the Bronx. I'm kind of curious about the other stops in the Bronx on say the Harlem Line... Are any of those stations well used?

Fordam is well used.

And why is that?

A lot of people who live The Bronx use Metro North to Commute to their Jobs in White Plains, Bee line takes a hour and a half to get from The Bronx to White Plans where's Metro North is much quicker... who wants to ride on a city bus for three hours five days a week? I ridden the Bee line from WP to the BX several, its a long and tedious ride.

Also there's a college near the station and a whole bunch of bus routes upstairs.

It also has decent ridership from the New Haven line for the peeps who work in CT or whatever.

A lot of people who live The Bronx use Metro North to Commute to their Jobs in White Plains, Bee line takes a hour and a half to get from The Bronx to White Plans where's Metro North is much quicker... who wants to ride on a city bus for three hours five days a week? I ridden the Bee line from WP to the BX several, its a long and tedious ride.

Also there's a college near the station and a whole bunch of bus routes upstairs.

It also has decent ridership from the New Haven line for the peeps who work in CT or whatever.

The fact that it is quick is obvious. I was more curious about who and for what purpose because the same can be said for other Bronx neighborhoods yet they don't use it that much. Clearly Fordham isn't deterred by the higher fare and plus with the college students there that would also explain it's usage there. As for the folks in Connecticut that's a no brainer. The regular riders on MetroNorth are serious bread earners so they can afford the fare with no problem. The (MTA) would be wise to advertise the breaks it gives on the weekends for inner city trips on MetroNorth. I never use MetroNorth on the weekends since the Hudson Rail link doesn't run then in Riverdale, but it would certainly be of use for folks that are close by to it.

The fact that it is quick is obvious. I was more curious about who and for what purpose because the same can be said for other Bronx neighborhoods yet they don't use it that much. Clearly Fordham isn't deterred by the higher fare and plus with the college students there that would also explain it's usage there. As for the folks in Connecticut that's a no brainer. The regular riders on MetroNorth are serious bread earners so they can afford the fare with no problem. The (MTA) would be wise to advertise the breaks it gives on the weekends for inner city trips on MetroNorth. I never use MetroNorth on the weekends since the Hudson Rail link doesn't run then in Riverdale, but it would certainly be of use for folks that are close by to it.

There's no higher fare because it's cheaper than Bee-Line. It's something like $59.50 for a Fordham-White Plains ticket. (Aside from that, the surrounding area isn't an "affluent" neighborhood either).

@trainfan... I get the impression that the other Bronx neighborhoods just find the subway easier and the higher fares of MetroNorth (which was what I was referring to when thinking about Fordham) are a deterrent, but when you compare the discount that MetroNorth has on the weekends and compare it to the subway it is pretty competitive price wise.

Reverse commuting (intermediate commuting) is cheaper than peak/off peak commuting to/from Manhattan, this has nothing to do with the subway, Bee Line is the only alternative (which is cheaper if you have an unlimited Metrocard).

W3, W21, W40, W41, W62 are the directly competing routes to/from White Plains, especially for those not living near Metro North.

Archived