Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Bracamonte

How Long Will The M2/4/6's be in service?

I have ridden Metro North very often back in mid-to-late 2010. The last time I rode Metro North was back in January 2011. I might be planning to do a comeback as I rode Metro North to White Plains today. Things have changed since the last time I rode MN as more M8's are put in service(I have yet to ride on one of those). But I'm wondering, how long will the M2, M4, and M6's be around before they become as rare as the M3's?

BTW, here's the list of stations I've been to between August 2010 to January 2011.

Marble Hill

Yonkers

White Plains

Southeast (once)

Poughkeepsie (once)

Stamford

New Haven

Rye (once)

New Rochelle (once)

Harlem 125th Street

Yankees East 153rd Street

Croton Harmon

and especially Grand Central Terminal.

Edited by Bracamonte
  • Upvote 2

I have ridden Metro North very often back in mid-to-late 2010. The last time I rode Metro North was back in January 2011. I might be planning to do a comeback as I rode Metro North to White Plains today. Things have changed since the last time I rode MN as more M8's are put in service(I have yet to ride on one of those). But I'm wondering, how long will the M2, M4, and M6's be around?

BTW, here's the list of stations I've been to between August 2010 to January 2011.

Marble Hill

Yonkers

White Plains

Southeast (once)

Poughkeepsie (once)

Stamford

New Haven

Rye (once)

New Rochelle (once)

Harlem 125th Street

Yankees East 153rd Street

Croton Harmon

and especially Grand Central Terminal.

My guess would be another year or two, starting in 2013 they are going to get scarce. For now there are still plenty of M2s around, the M4's and M6s are less common and oftne they are stuck in the middle of the trainsets.

Heres my list:

Grand Central

125 St

Marble Hill

Yonkers

Croton Harmon

Botanical Garden

Scarsdale

Southeast

Wassaic

New Rochelle

Stamford

New Canaan

South Norwalk

Danbury

Nanuet

I rode MetroNorth this morning from the Spuyten Duyvil station and got one of the newer ones with the automated announcements, but no seat as usual. <_< That's what $7.50 gets you these days. <_< <_<

I rode MetroNorth this morning from the Spuyten Duyvil station and got one of the newer ones with the automated announcements, but no seat as usual. <_< That's what $7.50 gets you these days. <_< <_<

That's the M7. They've been around for quite a while.

Edited by Bracamonte

For your reference, they are going at a rate of 8 cars a month, starting with M2s. This process has already started. If you want a hint at what cars are going out next, head to Stamford Yard (by street of course) and look at the "dead track". You will see cars that have been stripped and prepared for shipping to Ohio for scrap.

Yeah I know and the seats suck... Any new cars coming on the Hudson Line?

The only thing coming to the Hudson and Harlem Lines are the M9's. But that won't be for a long time. @gregorygrice I will go check there to see those cars one of these days.

I rode MetroNorth this morning from the Spuyten Duyvil station and got one of the newer ones with the automated announcements, but no seat as usual. <_< That's what $7.50 gets you these days. <_<<_<

the couple of times I've taken trains from Hicksville in the AM peak and its been standing room only as well, its not a Metro North only thing and peak from Hicksville to Penn is about $16-17. Be lucky you're in the cheap fare zone.

• Upvote 1

Do the M2/4/6'S have propulsion? Cause in the videos I saw about them, I do hear a propulsion system when the train is accelerating.

Edited by Bracamonte

The M2's are actually more reliable than the 4's and 6's.

I've heard the M4s have braking problems, the M6s I dunno, you would think they would run the best out of the lot.

The M2 are very rare now, the M4/M6 are also getting rare

M4/M6 (the triplets), were always uncommon, but not that rare, I see them all the time in GCT when I'm there. Keep in mind they sometimes get stuck in the middle of a consist.

I hate the M7's. I don't want to see the M2's go! :(

The M8's are replacing the M2's, not the M7A's which already are all there and replaced teh M1A's over on the Harlem and Hudson line. The M3A's which are similar to the M2's are still around, and will be for a good 3-4 years, maybe more.

M2s aren't rare yet, there are plent of them. Only less than 40 of them are gone.

• Upvote 1

Do the M2/4/6'S have propulsion? Cause in the videos I saw about them, I do hear a propulsion system when the train is accelerating.

Yes. The M2's both cars of the pair have propulsion. On the M4's and 6's only the end cars have propultion, the D car (middle) does not.

As others have already stated, the M2's are hardly rare at this point. The modified M2's yes, the regular M2's no.

Yes. The M2's both cars of the pair have propulsion. On the M4's and 6's only the end cars have propultion, the D car (middle) does not.

As others have already stated, the M2's are hardly rare at this point. The modified M2's yes, the regular M2's no.

What do you mean by modified M2s. From what Ive read there are overhauled and non overhauled m2s, the overhauled ones have the newer paint scheme that matches the m3as. The non overhauled ones have the original color scheme.

What do you mean by modified M2s. From what Ive read there are overhauled and non overhauled m2s, the overhauled ones have the newer paint scheme that matches the m3as. The non overhauled ones have the original color scheme.

I'm not sure about color schemes, but the Modified M2's have some operational differences than the originals. There are very few of the modifieds floating around.

The M6s are from 1993 why are they going to be replaced?

Because they're garbage. The older M2's are more reliable.

I've noticed that there are more M8's on the New Haven Line on weekends than on weekdays.

That is due to capacity. Soon those disgusting non M8s the M6 & M2/3/4 trash will be gone good riddance I honestly don't want to see em again.