Commercial Driver's License...

'89 Liberty MCI

I'm 16 now and I want to get a CDL when I'm 21. This is a CDL for operating a 40-foot bus like an Orion V/RTS/MCI Classic. I want to wait until then rather than get it at 18 because you need to be 18 for the single-state CDL and 21 for the interstate CDL I think. Now I know that in order to get the interstate CDL at 21 you still need to go through the other stuff in a sequence-exam for learner's permit, the real thing after, exam for driver's license, the real thing, CDL exam, then a real CDL. What I wish to know is if you first need an intrastate CDL before even getting an interstate CDL, and if you need a CDL in order to own a 40-foot transit bus. Also will the DMV come after you if your two-stroke diesel bus like an RTS or Classic spews out the black smoke that it does (though Classics I don't think smoke as badly)? Thanks.

I can answer one of your questions about ownership of a bus: yes, you can purchase a bus without a CDL, but basically can't drive it. Someone I know bought a bus before he got his CDL and had to get someone to pick it up for him.

I'm 16 now and I want to get a CDL when I'm 21. This is a CDL for operating a 40-foot bus like an Orion V/RTS/MCI Classic. I want to wait until then rather than get it at 18 because you need to be 18 for the single-state CDL and 21 for the interstate CDL I think. Now I know that in order to get the interstate CDL at 21 you still need to go through the other stuff in a sequence-exam for learner's permit, the real thing after, exam for driver's license, the real thing, CDL exam, then a real CDL. What I wish to know is if you first need an intrastate CDL before even getting an interstate CDL, and if you need a CDL in order to own a 40-foot transit bus. Also will the DMV come after you if your two-stroke diesel bus like an RTS or Classic spews out the black smoke that it does (though Classics I don't think smoke as badly)? Thanks.

If you get a CDL at 18, you will be intrastate only (only can drive bus in NYS). At 21 they automatically send you a new CDL that has this restriction gone. You can drive once you reach 21 with your Intrastate license until your new one arrives. The police will know how old you are by the DOB on your license. To work for any bus or motorcoach company you have to at least 21. Some require you to be 23, some 25..... This depends on the insurance carrier, and the age they want newly hired drivers to be. ...

As for the bus, it has to pass an emissions inspection. So you could buy one, but be prepared to dish out alot of money to get it to pass. You might need a new engine, tranny, filters, exhaust system, etc.... Bus engines cost alot, and heck tires cost up to $500 per tire........

Well I know guys that own Classics, Fishbowls, Flxibles with 2-stroke engines and they don't run into trouble with the law I think. If I have to change things like filters or exhaust then that's cool but I really don't want to give up the 6V-92TA in what hopefully will be my Classic.

Well I know guys that own Classics, Fishbowls, Flxibles with 2-stroke engines and they don't run into trouble with the law I think. If I have to change things like filters or exhaust then that's cool but I really don't want to give up the 6V-92TA in what hopefully will be my Classic.

Maybe if it's privately owned, then it's O.K., but that soon will change.......

I can answer one of your questions about ownership of a bus: yes, you can purchase a bus without a CDL, but basically can't drive it. Someone I know bought a bus before he got his CDL and had to get someone to pick it up for him.

Actually you can drive it as long as it's not "commercially driven" and you have less than 15 people on board.

Archived