Mayor Bloomberg pushing NYC hospitals to hide baby formula so more new moms

mark1447

148789146100534--300x300.jpg

"Mayor Bloomberg is pushing hospitals to hide their baby formula behind locked doors so more new mothers will breast-feed.

Starting Sept. 3, the city will keep tabs on the number of bottles that participating hospitals stock and use — the most restrictive pro-breast-milk program in the nation.

Under the city Health Department’s voluntary Latch On NYC initiative, 27 of the city’s 40 hospitals have also agreed to give up swag bags sporting formula-company logos, toss out formula-branded tchotchkes like lanyards and mugs, and document a medical reason for every bottle that a newborn receives.

While breast-feeding activists applaud the move, bottle-feeding moms are bristling at the latest lactation lecture.

“If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed,” said Lynn Sidnam, a Staten Island mother of two formula-fed girls, ages 4 months and 9 years. “It’s for me to choose.”

Under Latch On NYC, new mothers who want formula won’t be denied it, but hospitals will keep infant formula in out-of-the-way secure storerooms or in locked boxes like those used to dispense and track medications.

With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get a talking-to. Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead.

“It’s the patient’s choice,” said Allison Walsh, of Beth Israel Medical Center. “But it’s our job to educate them on the best option.”

Read the rest: http://www.nypost.co...H#ixzz2272rYlxC

The nanny state is going after moms.

My understanding is that he's just backing this, but any event it's still up to the mother, but I don't see the harm in them being educated. Most of the things that he's been backing health wise have been to the benefit of New Yorkers whether they realize it or not. For example smoking... Allows folks to live longer (who smoke OR don't smoke) and helps lower the tax burden from high healthcare costs... That's a win win. There is no question that he's playing the role of the Nanny, but it's for the better of New Yorkers because quite frankly the decisions made by others often times do affect all of us one way or another. Folks are so up in arms because unfortunately many can't make the right decisions anymore. If they could we wouldn't have the crazy health problems that we currently do in this country.

What a moron. Not all children latch; my wife and I had to supplement formula because my daughter was having trouble latching at first.

What's wrong with mother's being educated on both? No one is saying that mothers can't use formula. They're just being educated on the benefits of breast feeding. I don't see anything wrong with that. In the end the mother still decides what is best for them and the child right?

I don't agree with this, I couldn't feed, so why try to make people do something they may not be able to do?

They're not making anyone do anything. Mother's are still free to choose formula over breast feeding. They're simply educating them on the benefits of breast feeding.

If they don't want to breastfeed, the fomula shouldn't be lock up next to the morphine.

That's simply to break them out of the habit of running and getting formula. They want them to educate the mothers first on breast feeding, otherwise if the formula is around, the easy/lazy thing to do is to grab the bottle and hand it to the mother.

...and by that logic we should ban grocery stores and have everyone grow thier own fruits and veggies.

"educating" them on the topic is one thing, trying to make them to do something they might not want to do is another, which is what bloomy has the hospitals doing.

If it's supposed to be a woman's choice on having the kid in the first place, which last I check was something the mayor was in favor of, then why all of a sudden is it no longer her choice on how and what to feed the kid?

if she wants the formula, then she should be allowed to have it, no questions asked. I was an all bottle baby, which there-by debunks the idea the breastfeeding leads to higher IQs. I could hold a conversation at 18 months for crying out loud.

...and by that logic we should ban grocery stores and have everyone grow thier own fruits and veggies.

"educating" them on the topic is one thing, trying to make them to do something they might not want to do is another, which is what bloomy has the hospitals doing.

If it's supposed to be a woman's choice on having the kid in the first place, which last I check was something the mayor was in favor of, then why all of a sudden is it no longer her choice on how and what to feed the kid?

if she wants the formula, then she should be allowed to have it, no questions asked. I was an all bottle baby, which there-by debunks the idea the breastfeeding leads to higher IQs. I could hold a conversation at 18 months for crying out loud.

No one is forcing them to do anything and they aren't questioning them either... Educating them is simply that... Educating them... They still have the choice to breastfeed or have the formula, so there is no "forcing" going on. At the end of the day the hospitals can talk all they want. The mothers STILL decide what they want, which is the bottom line.

I'm pretty sure a lot of women already know the benefits to breast feeding and baby formula. It's like they don't research this shit during the 40 weeks of pregnancy

Not when you have little kids having kids they don't.

they're not educating anyone about anything, they're sticking the fomula in a locked room and trying to talk the mothers into breastfeeding. that's not education, that' intrusion.

They're sticking them in a locked room to stop the staff from automatically sticking a bottle in the mother's hand. That's not intrusion. That's breaking OLD habits.

“If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed,” said Lynn Sidnam, a Staten Island mother of two formula-fed girls, ages 4 months and 9 years. “It’s for me to choose.”

I say that for some people, the sheer amount of advertising and the absence of any breast-feeding awareness has made the choice for them; they were never presented a real choice to begin with.

Not when you have little kids having kids they don't.

i hope youre not talking about teenagers.

Is Bloomturd gonna limit the size of the breast to feed from. cause Ive seen a lot that are bigger than a Big Gulp

and btw, how did the human race survive so long without bloomy and his social engineering masterminds telling us whats best for us?

Joe

and btw, how did the human race survive so long without bloomy and his social engineering masterminds telling us whats best for us?

Questioning how the human race has survived for so long is a misleading question; baby milk formula was only around for a century or so. The real marvel is that many babies survive despite being fed an inferior substitute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_formula

i hope youre not talking about teenagers.

Is Bloomturd gonna limit the size of the breast to feed from. cause Ive seen a lot that are bigger than a Big Gulp

And it's a good thing that corporations can pepper us with salespeak telling us how much better their formulas are than something that has worked since before humans even existed?

By your logic, cigarettes and alcohol shouldn't come with any sort of warnings and the government should not create ads warning against smoking and alcohol use.

It's only necessary to put public interests in equal footing with corporate interests. Ads deceive us all the time and that's okay?

Here's an example from 2007 from another country:

http://globalvoiceso...infant-formula/

In a radio interview, Philippine Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye reported that the top three consumer commodities in the country are formula milk, mobile phone cards and beer. Infant formula products are among the most imported goods in the country. A major reason why these goods are popular despite being expensive and vastly inferior to breast milk is the aggressive advertising of milk companies. The public seems mesmerized by milk ads which claim to make children more intelligent, healthy and strong forgetting that infant formula remains a poor substitute to breast milk.

Last year, the Department of Health imposed a ban on the promotion and advertising of breast milk substitutes. This regulation was challenged by milk companies in the Supreme Court arguing that it infringed on freedom of trade and the freedom to inform the public on infant formulas. The Supreme Court sided with the petitioners and granted a temporary restraining order which prevented health authorities to enforce the ban on milk ads. The order is still effective today

A background on the milk wars between milk companies and health authorities is provided by Inside PCIJ. The blog also uploads the letter by US businessmen urging the Philippine government to remove ban on milk ads. Read also the arguments raised by milk companies why the Supreme Court should rule in favor of their petition. Celeste Ann Castillo Llaneta writes an article for UP Forum detailing the legal basis of milk regulation in the country.

Achieving happiness explains her opposition to infant formula ads and issues an appeal to mothers:

“It's all about making money. The infant milk formula companies promote their products by saying the milk will promote intelligence, increase immunity against childhood diseases, and “Your kids will be so bibo they'll end up on TV just like the models on our TV ads!” Yeah, just shell out P600 per 1 kilogram can and wait for your baby to develop digestion problems, the least being gas and stomach cramps. I was also told that drinking cow's milk can cause bone problems. On the other hand, there are no arguments against mothers' milk. None. Moms! If you can breastfeed, do it. There's nothing more important than making sure that during the first three years of your baby's life ALL their nutrition needs are met, and this can be if you breastfeed.”

Anthropologist Michael Tan also critiques milk ads:

“The industry’s “information” is just too skewed toward promoting milk formula, from infant booklets given in hospitals to new mothers, with advertisements for milk formulas and weaning foods, to the packaging itself. I do resent the way the manufacturers still attempt to drum up their ludicrous IQ messages in the packaging. I have a can of Gain in front of me and it has “IQ” written all over the can. Psychologists can tell you this is insidious, almost a way of saying: if you shift, you might be taking away all this IQ-enhancing milk from your child.”

The problem with this nation is that many decades of baby formula use has made breastfeeding somehow "offensive." It has made one of the healthiest ways to feed a growing baby a shameful act. A small but growing portion of the public is now more aware of the inferiority of baby formulas and the corporate greed behind it. It's a damn good thing that this movement is getting a boost from political figures. Synthetic formulas will have their place, but it has wrongly taken priority over natural breast milk.

I'm pretty sure a lot of women already know the benefits to breast feeding and baby formula. It's like they don't research this shit during the 40 weeks of pregnancy

I wish that was true. The rates of fetal alcohol syndrome and babies born with low birth weight due to mother smoking during pregnancy in this city are disturbingly high. For whatever reason, some people just do not give enough attention to their unborn baby or newborn and his/her needs.

Archived