Mayor Bloomberg pushing NYC hospitals to hide baby formula so more new moms

mark1447

Questioning how the human race has survived for so long is a misleading question; baby milk formula was only around for a century or so. The real marvel is that many babies survive despite being fed an inferior substitute.

http://en.wikipedia..../Infant_formula

And it's a good thing that corporations can pepper us with salespeak telling us how much better their formulas are than something that has worked since before humans even existed?

By your logic, cigarettes and alcohol shouldn't come with any sort of warnings and the government should not create ads warning against smoking and alcohol use.

It's only necessary to put public interests in equal footing with corporate interests. Ads deceive us all the time and that's okay?

The problem with this nation is that many decades of baby formula use has made breastfeeding somehow "offensive." It has made one of the healthiest ways to feed a growing baby a shameful act. A small but growing portion of the public is now more aware of the inferiority of baby formulas and the corporate greed behind it. It's a damn good thing that this movement is getting a boost from political figures. Synthetic formulas will have their place, but it has wrongly taken priority over natural breast milk.

To add to what you've stated, the city is again trying to promote a policy that quite frankly is good for the health of New Yorkers, inculding new borns. Studies show that babies that are breastfed are healthier, live longer, etc., so there are huge benefits to being breastfed. It seems to me that the thinking is why would a mother pass up on a healthier more natural alternative? Perhaps if the reason can be remedied, helping the mother along makes more sense than just giving her a bottle. Looking at it from that point of view, it's a really good thing and not trying to control mothers at all. Some mothers could be choosing formula simply because they're going with the "norm" or they feel that they simply can't breastfeed for lack of experience.

While there are the women who frankly don't give two shits about their health or their unborn child's, I don't think they're that common. They're doing it to themselves, I just hope they don't cry when their baby's born retarded or deformed

And.... I was breast-fed while I was an infant but when it came time to using the bottle my mom says I adapted very well.

And on that note... A healthy baby picture of me!

BabyPic.jpg

(Circa 1990)

Archived