"Group of eight women stab Manhattan subway rider after he makes wisecrack"

tvega961

article-rowdy1-0729.jpg

"A 63-year-old Vietnam veteran from Queens was stabbed on a Manhattan subway train Sunday after making a sarcastic comment about a rowdy gang of eight girls and young women, cops said.

Ralph Carnegary of Queens said the raucous riders were being so loud “you couldn’t hear yourself think” as their downtown-bound 6 train neared the 23rd St. station about 6 a.m, officials said.

Carnegary, who lives in a veterans shelter in Long Island City, was on his way to work as a souvenir vendor on Wall St. “I couldn’t identify the girl who stabbed me. All my attention was on the knife coming at me,” Carnegary told the Daily News Sunday night.

He said the girls turned on him after they overheard him talking to his pal, James Santiago, about how noisy they were.

“I just said, ‘Those girls must be retarded because they can’t hear each other talk,’” Carnegary recalled.

Within a second, the furious gals, whose ages range from 15 to 20, went berserk and started pummeling Carnegary with their fists.

He was trying to block the blows when he heard another girl yell, “Go for him” and a third girl say, “Cut him.”

One of his attackers plunged a knife into Carnegary’s left shoulder, leaving a wound that required seven stitches.

“I didn’t think they were actually going to knife me. The oldest one didn’t look no more than 18 or 19. I couldn’t believe they did that,” he said.

Santiago, 46 a former Marine who also lives in the shelter, said he jumped in to defend Carnegary when he saw two of the women charge his friend from behind.

“I feel like I owe my life to this guy right here,” Carnegary said of Santiago.

Carnegary’s wife, Connie, 50, was outraged by the attack. “It’s terrible,” she said. “You can’t even ride the train. You can’t even go to work in the morning.”

The wife lives separately from her husband in East New York, Brooklyn, but said the couple is hoping to find housing together soon.

The wild group was taken into custody at the station, where a knife was recovered. All are charged with gang assault, assault, menacing, rioting, criminal possession of a weapon and disorderly conduct.

Police arrested Shanice Brown, 20; Kimberly Molina, 20; Starmeik Driggins, 19, and Sheyla Figueroa, 18, all of Brooklyn; Martha Bermudez, 17, and Sha-steva Burdos, 17, both of Queens, and Michelle Rodriguez, 19, of the Bronx.

A 15-year-old Queens girl was also arrested, but her name was not released because she is a juvenile."

More here: http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1124361

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how now some elected leaders are now calling for more Stop & Frisk... <_< Before they didn't want it so the cops backed down and now that you've got innocent kids being shot and people being stabbed on the subway, let's step up Stop & Frisk. These folks don't know what they want. <_<

Funny how now some elected leaders are now calling for more Stop & Frisk... <_< Before they didn't want it so the cops backed down and now that you've got innocent kids being shot and people being stabbed on the subway, let's step up Stop & Frisk. These folks don't know what they want. <_<

Any evidence supporting that? Any evidence showing that more people are being shot and stabbed than before?

Any evidence supporting that? Any evidence showing that more people are being shot and stabbed than before?

These types of incidents are up from the past year. It was just on the news this morning. The consensus is that with all of the b*tching and moaning about Stop & Frisk that the cops of sort of backed off a bit. There are more illegal guns coming from out of state as well so Stop & Frisk is a good thing. Yes, I know the attackers had knives, but I'm talking about the overall picture. Several kids have been shot in the last few weeks for example. Oh and another side note... All of the attackers so far have been minorities, so it seems like the right folks are being targeted and maybe the representatives that were crying before about Stop & Frisk finally have the balls to admit the truth.

These types of incidents are up from the past year. It was just on the news this morning. The consensus is that with all of the b*tching and moaning about Stop & Frisk that the cops of sort of backed off a bit. There are more guns coming from out of state as well so Stop & Frisk is a good thing.

Not to start a THIRD stop and frisk good/bad debate, but can you find me an article or video of the news report? I just want to see my interpretation of the story.

I didn't read about it. It was on Fox 5 this morning.

Okay. I just checked their website and I can't seem to find it...
Oh and another side note... All of the attackers so far have been minorities, so it seems like the right folks are being targeted and maybe the representatives that were crying before about Stop & Frisk finally have the balls to admit the truth.
Do you still claim to not support racial profiling?

Do you still claim to not support racial profiling?

As I've said before if the shoe fits then it fits. I walk the streets at all times of the night, dressed professionally coming home from work AND dressed down in jeans as I was last night when there were cops on Johnson Avenue. This was after 01:00 in the morning and I was walking from the express bus. They were doing their usual rounds in Riverdale and I went on about my business walking to my apartment. Like I said, I welcome seeing cops in my neighborhood because it means that the neighborhood will stay safe and I don't fear cops. Unless you've got something to hide then there is nothing wrong with Stop & Frisk.

As I've said before if the shoe fits then it fits. I walk the streets at all times of the night, dressed professionally coming home from work AND dressed down in jeans as I was last night when there were cops on Johnson Avenue. This was after 01:00 in the morning and I was walking from the express bus. They were doing their usual rounds in Riverdale and I went on about my business walking to my apartment. Like I said, I welcome seeing cops in my neighborhood because it means that the neighborhood will stay safe and I don't fear cops. Unless you've got something to hide then there is nothing wrong with Stop & Frisk.

Please answer my question.

Please answer my question.

I thought I already did, but I'll clarify myself. <_< I don't care what color the criminals are. I want them stopped, period, preferably before they commit the act. If they're white, then go after them. If they're a minority, then go after them. Makes no difference to me. I care about my neighborhood being safe. Like I said, all of the individuals involved so far have been minorities, so that's what it is. The police have to go for the biggest bang for the buck and they have to target the high crime areas because that's where most of the crime is happening. It just so happens that the folks involved are mainly minorities. Whose fault is that?

f they're white, then go after them. If they're a minority, then go after them. Makes no difference to me.
Well, let's look at what you said:
All of the attackers so far have been minorities, so it seems like the right folks are being targeted and maybe the representatives that were crying before about Stop & Frisk finally have the balls to admit the truth.

That would lead me to believe that you support targeting people based on race.

A Terry stop is dangerous because you could risk violating someone's rights. When you "stop and frisk" someone, you're basically saying you have reasonable suspicion to believe a crime "has been, is being, or is about to be committed." An officer needs to be able to articulate that. The other thing is, it advocates racial profiling, which the NYPD has come under fire for. I'm pro-law enforcement, but the NYPD has a tough decision to make. I, personally, am all for it.

The girls are animals, but Mr. Carnegary should have kept his trap shut.

Well, let's look at what you said:That would lead me to believe that you support targeting people based on race.

Well the Bronx of late has been rampant with wild shootings and crazy crime (muggings and such) and I've been watching on the news thinking Christ thank God I'm up here in the hills in Riverdale away from all of that riff raff. I want the cops here because I don't want that crappola from the Bronx spreading up here ruining a neighborhood with very low crime.

As for your comment... No I support targeting criminals. Let's look at how these individuals are dressed... Pants hanging down and half clothed for the most part. The young folks dressing like this these days (white and minorities alike) want to portray an image that they're hard and they are portraying an image led by criminals, so as the saying goes, if you lie down with dogs you'll get up with the fleas. No pity from me.

Well the Bronx of late has been rampid with wild shootings and crazy crime (muggings and such) and I've been watching on the news thinking Christ thank God I'm up here in the hills in Riverdale away from all of that riff raff. I want the cops here because I don't want that crappola from the Bronx spreading up here ruining a neighborhood with very low crime.

As for your comment... No I support targeting criminals. Let's look at how these individuals are dressed... Pants hanging down and half clothed for the most part. The young folks dressing like this these days (white and minorities alike) want to portray an image that they're hard and they are portraying an image led by criminals, so as the saying goes, if you lie down with dogs you'll get up with the fleas. No pity from me.

Then why did you make the comment about the police "targeting the right people" as all of these criminals were minorities?

Then why did you make the comment about the police "targeting the right people" as all of these criminals were minorities?

Because they're the ones doing the crime. I know it's just a minor detail in your world but not in mine. I've seen white youth stopped and frisked on Staten Island and guess what... They usually were up to no good, so like I said if the shoe fits... These young women should've been home or up getting ready for work or doing some productive, not out and about at 06:00 in the morning galavanting. They were looking for trouble. I'm just glad they'll be taken off of the streets and hopefully in jail for a while.

JW: I agree. He would have been much better off.

Via, enough with the neighborhood politics and making it seem like Riverdale is hot shit while all the other hoods suck. Please cut it out. And rampid is not a word. The word you meant to use was rampant, and your use of the word would have been incorrect anyway. You meant to say that wild shootings and crazy crime have been rampant in the Bronx as of late. (As if it has been so much worse recently than it usually is. I do not know whether this is actually the case.)

Anybody know why they no longer have beat cops (beat cop = cop that is always assigned to a specific area) walking the streets of their beats, talking to local residents and merchants to get an idea of what is going on in the beat? I know it would not be helpful in cases like this where the perps live far away from where the crime was committed, but it would at least help combat crime to some degree and there would be more amicability between cops and communities. I was thinking about the boy who was shot while playing tennis at Haffen Park in Baychester. This is assuming that the boy was not up to no good when he went there. Based on what I read, he did not seem to be.

Via, enough with the neighborhood politics and making it seem like Riverdale is hot shit while all the other hoods suck. Please cut it out. And rampid is not a word. The word you meant to use was rampant, and your use of the word would have been incorrect anyway. You meant to say that wild shootings and crazy crime have been rampant in the Bronx as of late. (As if it has been so much worse recently than it usually is. I do not know whether this is actually the case.)

Anybody know why they no longer have beat cops (beat cop = cop that is always assigned to a specific area) walking the streets of their beats, talking to local residents and merchants to get an idea of what is going on in the beat? I know it would not be helpful in cases like this where the perps live far away from where the crime was committed, but it would at least help combat crime to some degree and there would be more amicability between cops and communities. I was thinking about the boy who was shot while playing tennis at Haffen Park in Baychester. This is assuming that the boy was not up to no good when he went there. Based on what I read, he did not seem to be.

Relax... I was typing fast and I'm not using a regular English keyboard, so sometimes the words that I want to come out don't... I corrected the typo accordingly...

As for your neighborhood comment, I am simply stating a fact. We have low crime here and just about all of the crime that we do get here comes from the Bronx. Not my problem if you want to admit that or not, but the facts speak for themselves. As for the Bronx and the rampant crime, well I don't know what's the "norm" but as far as I'm concerned, it isn't normal for innocent kids to be shot and killed but maybe that's "normal" to you. I've always lived in areas with low crime so yes to me it is unsettling.

To address your other point, oh please... Listen this tactic that you're proposing has been tried again and again to no avail. It's like the dog that's chasing its own tail. Until these communities admit that there is a problem in their own community and stop blaming the cops for everything they'll never be any changes. That's the biggest change that is needed. Meanwhile the NYPD has tried hiring more minorities and this and that... None of that crap is going to change anything. Until the mentalities in these communities change everything will remain the same.

Because they're the ones doing the crime. I know it's just a minor detail in your world but not in mine. I've seen white youth stopped and frisked on Staten Island and guess what... They usually were up to no good, so like I said if the shoe fits...

Okay, so you are in favor of racial profiling. Glad we've cleared it up...

Still, VG8, I don't think you've addressed the legality issue of stop and frisk. Which court case were you referring to when you said that the Supreme Court ruled it legal?

Archived