Is Dianne Thompson the (F) Train Voice? Maybe Not!

I've been reading some things which have suggested that the (F) train's voice, which we all thought was Dianne Thompson, is actually a different person named Kathleen Campion. If this is true, no wonder that the (F) train announcements sound so different from the (1)(2)(3) announcements...

Here's the subchat thread on this:

http://www.subchat.c...122&p=1#1151523

And, a recording of Kathleen Campion's voice:

http://www.patriceregnier.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/bloombergpart1.mp3

What do you guys think? If anybody has any more information on this, it would be interesting to hear. People have been thinking that Kathleen Campion recorded the new countdown clock announcements at 23 St and 28 St on the Broadway Line (video by bebo2good1):

In any case, I think I figured out who Dianne Thompson is, whether or not she's the (F) train voice:

http://www.facebook....hompsonstanciel

I still say it's Dianne . If you listen to the 34 st bound (2) announcements and compare it to the count down voice , its almost the same tone. Also Dianne sounds very similar to the (2) announcements on the (A)(C) and the (S) announcements and those sound similar to the (F) announcement. My guess is that the (2) announcements were recorded first followed by the (A)(C) and (S) and then followed by the (F) and reroute announcements she recorded. That's why there's a difference in the tone.

They seem very similar... why would the (MTA) lie about something so trivial?

When did they lie? If I'm remembering correctly, they never said who recorded the (A)(C) and (F) announcements; it's just that people assumed it was Dianne.

In the audio recording of Kathleen Campion, I think the way she says the word "computer" sounds COMPLETELY like the (F) train voice.

When did they lie? If I'm remembering correctly, they never said who recorded the (A)(C) and (F) announcements; it's just that people assumed it was Dianne.

In the audio recording of Kathleen Campion, I think the way she says the word "computer" sounds COMPLETELY like the (F) train voice.

Then why would people assume without good information. You know what they say about people who assume...

Then why would people assume without good information. You know what they say about people who assume...

Railfans had never heard of Kathleen Campion before just recently, so they probably just picked out of the three (Dianne, Jessica, Catherine) the person that sounded the most similar to the (F) train voice.

Or maybe it's just the difference between IRT and the rest. I mean, throughout IRT lines you don't hear no pause. Throughout the rest, you do. So maybe she just did the pause to fit the other announcements on non-IRT lines?

I think there's pauses for clarity reasons , so the speech doesn't sound jumbled up. Also , im sure the (2) along with the rest of the A division announcements were recorded before the R142s ran in service (1998-1999) and the (A)(C)(F)(G) and reroute announcements were recorded in 2005 when the 160's were delivered.

Guest Lance

@TheSubwayStation: It may be because the "local train" part of the announcement is spliced into the recording. Listen to any of the destination announcements, like "Coney Island-Stillwell Av-bound", "Kings Hwy-bound" or "Jamaica-179 St-bound". The inflection sounds exactly the same, doesn't it?

As to this Kathleen vs Dianne thing, I doubt we're going to find out who voiced these announcements unless either the MTA or the people in question actually answer that inquiry. I will say that people's voices do change over time and that the 7th Avenue announcement were recorded in 2000 while the F-line was recorded in '07. Look at (or listen to) the announcements that Catherine did starting in 2006-07. We start off with a very hyper Catherine on the N, Q and W, then she gets a little muted on the R, a bit more on the B and D and so on and so forth until we get to the G and V where she sounds half-dead.

That's the issue I keep on grappling with. Why would the (MTA) lie over something so trivial?

Again, who said they lied? Maybe who ever is giving out the info to the press was just given the wrong information. No one aside from buffs really care.

Archived