Is Dianne Thompson the (F) Train Voice? Maybe Not!

They do sound different but I'm not exactly sure if it's two different voices or just the same in a more mature state... So, no real answers on my end.

From what i read on subchat , someone emailed Dianne and she said she only recorded the 7 ave line.

So here's the list of voices: [wont allow me to use the proper bullets for some reason so bare with me]

Dianne Thompson: 1 2 3 9 lines

Jessica Ettinger : 4 5 6 lines

Melissa Kleiner: old 5 Announcements

Annie Bergan: 7 and 42 st Shuttle

Kathleen Campion: (A)(C)(F)(S) and various reroutes along with updated station announcements. She's also been placed on updated (G) announcements. She also now voices the countdown clocks on the BMT Broadway line.

Catherine Cowdery: (B)(D)(E)(G)(J)(L) , Brown M, (M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(V)(Z) along with reroute and updated transfer announcements. Also voices some reroute announcements on the (5) and (6) lines and the <6> to Pelham bay park announcements during rush hour.

Charlie pellet : updated (N) and (Q) line announcements along with IRT transfer announcements and service announcements.

All of you were finally able to sort out the various voices we hear every day! So they aren't mechanical after all!!!

Seriously, though, the voices sometimes do sound mechanical.

The voices have to be loud and clear, so that's why it sounds mechanical, also sometimes two of the Bloomberg Female annoucers are in one annoucement followed by the one and only Bloomberg Male announcer [Charlie Pellet], so it makes it a bit mechanical, even though all voices are from real people.

I kind of miss the good old conductor announcements, it's one of things that makes New York's form of transit and the experience stand out. Understood that sometimes the conductor may not be clear on the announcements but otherwise at least for me as an avid New Yorker I've been feeling out of place with these automated announcements. Yes it would help tourists of course but it is irritaing to some New Yorkers who don't want to hear transit rules enforced by the NYPD every 5 seconds it seems sometimes. "Courtesy is contagious" I can visibly see the expressions of annoyance from straphangers upon hearing the announcements. Like that stops passengers from being rude as hell majorly lacking subway ettiquete

I know that conductors are constantly encouraged by supervisors to utilize this feature so it's not exactly their faults but generally speaking it can gett annoying sometimes. Is this a new federal mandatate to have these automated announcements installed?

I kind of miss the good old conductor announcements, it's one of things that makes New York's form of transit and the experience stand out. Understood that sometimes the conductor may not be clear on the announcements but otherwise at least for me as an avid New Yorker I've been feeling out of place with these automated announcements. Yes it would help tourists of course but it is irritaing to some New Yorkers who don't want to hear transit rules enforced by the NYPD every 5 seconds it seems sometimes. "Courtesy is contagious" I can visibly see the expressions of annoyance from straphangers upon hearing the announcements. Like that stops passengers from being rude as hell majorly lacking subway ettiquete

I know that conductors are constantly encouraged by supervisors to utilize this feature so it's not exactly their faults but generally speaking it can gett annoying sometimes. Is this a new federal mandatate to have these automated announcements installed?

Yes , new trains have to be ADA compatible with automated announcements and Visual information for people who are deaf. The older trains don't have to abide by this , but all new trains have to have these features installed. Plus , RCC always tells conductors to report any suspicious activity and to play the 'if you see something say something" message.

I kind of miss the good old conductor announcements, it's one of things that makes New York's form of transit and the experience stand out.

Standing out by having announcements sounding like 'rweiu rhwefih erifuheiwuf 2 train teuiorhfe efue eioufh estand clear' isn's something to be proud of.

The automated announcements are much more clear and consistently informative, which is why I (and many others, including tourists) prefer them.

The automated announcements are much more clear and consistently informative, which is why I (and many others, including tourists) prefer them.

Yeah. I think it's a common misconception among buffs that tourists are the only ones who need clear information. I guess it's because we buffs know so much ourselves about the system that we assume that other New Yorkers do. But I'll bet you that if you had a regular (4) train rider for example get on the (J) one day, he/she would be almost as confused as a tourist...Most New Yorkers learn the system out of habit, so they're likely to only know the lines that they usually take.

Standing out by having announcements sounding like 'rweiu rhwefih erifuheiwuf 2 train teuiorhfe efue eioufh estand clear' isn's something to be proud of.

Yeah but there are alot of conductors that can give announcements loud and clear providing that the PA announcements are clear. I'd rather hear announcements from a real person who is trained in calling the shots on a train in service rather then a robotic announcement that does'nt know its right from it's left. The FIND should stay as it is though.

Well I heard worse with the announcements. The automated announcements on the Chicago El sounds terrible. So cheesy...

Yeah but there are alot of conductors that can give announcements loud and clear providing that the PA announcements are clear. I'd rather hear announcements from a real person who is trained in calling the shots on a train in service rather then a robotic announcement that does'nt know its right from it's left. The FIND should stay as it is though.

Well I heard worse with the announcements. The automated announcements on the Chicago El sounds terrible. So cheesy...

Even the human announcements are wrong - I often heard transfers to the M announced at Atlantic on the D for quite some time after the cuts. The automated announcements are most likely all updated.

Well I'm going on the fact that I feel like I'm really in New York with conductors with thick Noo Yawker accents making announcements rather then something automated and generic. Even though you are correct on the accuracy of the automated announcements.

Just me I guess.

Even the human announcements are wrong - I often heard transfers to the M announced at Atlantic on the D for quite some time after the cuts. The automated announcements are most likely all updated.

I've had worse; e.g. a conductor who thought the (D) ran local in Brooklyn, or one who didn't know the next (A) express stop after Canal...The T/O had to step in and correct her...

You guys experience the same issues with human announcements than we do in Chicago. This was the problem in the last 2 decades (the automated announcements came in the CTA back in 2001). Given half of the train's speakers (and part of the fleet is > 40 years old), probably a good idea to just hear a computer and roll the dice...

...then again if you have a clear enough voice: do both.

Poor announcements aren't solely the C/R's fault. There are sets (particularly the Corona R62A's) which have crap equipment where either the volume is too low, it's garbled, or there are crossed wires. If this is caught early enough, the train will be taken OOS, but once the trip starts, it needs to make it to the other end first.

• 1 month later...

Yes , new trains have to be ADA compatible with automated announcements and Visual information for people who are deaf. The older trains don't have to abide by this , but all new trains have to have these features installed. Plus , RCC always tells conductors to report any suspicious activity and to play the 'if you see something say something" message.

They should have done what Toronto did; audible, clear announcements that generally work (but there are some horrid curves on the Yonge line which prevent them from being so...)

All of the stock that we had at the time (1974+) was equipped with the system.

If you rode my last trip on the 7 last night, you would have heard "transfer is available to the F and the Brooklyn-bound D" and then at Times Square "Transfer is available to the 1, 2, uptown 3, A, E, N, Q and the Bronx-bound D on the A's platform". You can't do that with the R188s.

If you rode my last trip on the 7 last night, you would have heard "transfer is available to the F and the Brooklyn-bound D" and then at Times Square "Transfer is available to the 1, 2, uptown 3, A, E, N, Q and the Bronx-bound D on the A's platform". You can't do that with the R188s.

Why not, they have a PA don't they?

Archived