Is Dianne Thompson the (F) Train Voice? Maybe Not!

Just curious: how difficult would it be to equip the NTTs with wireless receivers, so that every time the train passes one of any number of points it recalibrates its transfer info with that weekend's changes (programmed beforehand on a central computer somewhere)? Of course, this would be a slight expense, but IMHO it will need to be done sooner or later, as the system goes toward compete NTT-ification.

Why don't they just ditch the automated announcements all together and replace them with computer generated voices? This way you can type a message into a special computer and the train will announce it. Websites like Xtranormal already let you do this.

Why don't they just ditch the automated announcements all together and replace them with computer generated voices? This way you can type a message into a special computer and the train will announce it. Websites like Xtranormal already let you do this.

Don't those have their own problems, such as wrong pronunciation/emphasis and lack of human-ness?

@Donald: It's a nice idea in theory, but really, how many train ops or conductors are going to type the correct info into the system? It's a challenge for some of these folks to change the AAS to the correct route during some of these emergency reroutes.

• 5 months later...

I think Bernie Wagenblast does the commuter railroads.

Sorry for the very late reply on this, but I just saw this post.

I'm the voice of the "next train" announcements in the 1 through 6 line stations, as well as the Times Square Shuttle stations.  I did a guest announcement for the PATH stations a few years ago that ran for a month or two.  I also voice the announcements on the AirTrain at JFK and Newark airports.  For the commuter railroads the only voice recordings I've made are for the NJ Transit "text against terror" radio and TV commercials.

Hey, so there are new announcements for 34th Street - Herald Square on the (F)(M)(N) and (Q) trains to include M34 SBS. I'm wondering who does these announcements. It seems as if there are two or three different voices being used. Does anybody know?

Guest Lance

Hey, so there are new announcements for 34th Street - Herald Square on the (F)(M)(N) and (Q) trains to include M34 SBS. I'm wondering who does these announcements. It seems as if there are two or three different voices being used. Does anybody know?

The line transfers are a hodgepodge of different recordings slapped together with absolutely no regard for how they'd sound.

The "M34 SBS" recording was done by Kathleen while the PATH connection announcement was redone by Catherine.

Archived