Lack of communication

azspeedbullet

When they are service charges, why does the MTA or someelese repeat the same messages. I was recently involed in the rush hour mess with no L train service about an hour ago. Union Square was packed, people were on standing on the stairwells with no where to move. Yet, there was always a message that the next L train will arrive in 2,4,8 mintues. No mention of a delay or that L train was not running between 8th ave and Bedford. Can the MTA not afford someone to make an announcement or someone to yell into a megaphone telling people that there is no L train and they should use alternative services. I seen people helping other people trying to find alternative routes.

Guest Lance

It's pretty much a matter of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Not an excuse in any sense of the word; it's just my observations.

You'd think that with all those countdown clocks they have plastered across the system, especially on the L-line, there would be a way to inform the riding public of any service disruptions instead of announcing ad-naseum about that "important" message from the New York City Police Dept.

so we know there is a problem, anyone have an idea on how to solve it, with little or no cost?

since the countdown clocks can be programed to display NYPD messages, why not just send a message that says Service Suspend or no trains between stations x and z. That will be helpful then trying to understand poor announcements that gets made

since the countdown clocks can be programed to display NYPD messages, why not just send a message that says Service Suspend or no trains between stations x and z. That will be helpful then trying to understand poor announcements that gets made

They do display messages, at least in my experience. Just yesterday, the countdown clock sign told me that (4) trains were delayed because of a stalled train at Utica Av.

Guest Lance

How aren't they the same? Both the Canarsie clocks and the IRT clocks are capable of receiving information about various service disruptions from a central location. It's just a matter of sending that info out.

How aren't they the same? Both the Canarsie clocks and the IRT clocks are capable of receiving information about various service disruptions from a central location. It's just a matter of sending that info out.

And, there are plenty of B-division stations (that don't have countdown clocks) which have PA systems. They do in fact use them to communicate service change information.

This is a problem with the actual logistics of moving millions of people. Field supervisors are scrambling to get ANY service running asap, sometimes with some luck, othertimes not. Calling in to the appropriate tower where the dedicated announcers actually are IS not a priority, getting trains moving is.. The communications betweens train persoanell, towers & control center gets hairy sometimes, any 'misinterpretation' of orders, andsomething goes 'south' or bad, the train operator IS first one holding the bag of responsibility until the pending invevestigation is completed. Knowing this, we absolutely make sure that everyone is on the same page before moving a train to protect out jobs..

Archived