Straphangers: Q line the best (surprise!), the C is the worst (again)

IntExp

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the pissed (C) riders are from the upper-west side. I think the R32's are the best cars in the winter during cold days. It's the best feeling in the world to step into a heated R32 or R42 in the winter.

I was going to like this but I've reached my positive votes for the day. :(

I don't know about the Upper West Side, but I know I hate riding those trains. They're depressing, dark, outdated with a creepy 70s feel and just need to go.

To you that is...You have to deal with it until the R179s come in. I love the R32s. Outdated or updated not, it's public transportation to get riders from point A to point B.

To you that is...You have to deal with it until the R179s come in. I love the R32s.

Yeah and I'm sure the ordinary passenger feels this way too, hence why the (C) keeps getting low marks. Older cars usually mean less reliability, poor AC and so on so it isn't hard to see why it keeps getting low marks. Even if the breakdowns aren't that bad, the perception of seeing those old cars makes one think that.

Guest Lance

@RollOverMyHead, jimmy7train: It's not that the riders hate the 32s. It's just that the cars are old and at times quite unreliable. The fact that they can't even run on their designated line during the summer months because of aging air compressors or whatever should say something against their continued usefulness. Then there's the fact that the cars continue to have one of the lowest, if not the lowest MDBF in the entire subway system. Sure, the SMS should extend the life of these cars slightly, but it cannot and will not prevent the inevitable fact that these cars need to be replaced.

@RollOverMyHead, jimmy7train: It's not that the riders hate the 32s. It's just that the cars are old and at times quite unreliable. The fact that they can't even run on their designated line during the summer months because of aging air compressors or whatever should say something about their continued usefulness. Sure, the SMS should extend the life of these cars slightly, but it cannot and will not prevent the inevitable fact that these cars need to be replaced.

I'll go along with that and like this. :)

@RollOverMyHead, jimmy7train: It's not that the riders hate the 32s. It's just that the cars are old and at times quite unreliable. The fact that they can't even run on their designated line during the summer months because of aging air compressors or whatever should say something about their continued usefulness. Sure, the SMS should extend the life of these cars slightly, but it cannot and will not prevent the inevitable fact that these cars need to be replaced.

That's another thing... I find getting a (C) train to be far and few in between. It's hard to tell if it is the frequencies or just that trains break down or what.

Guest Lance

It could be a combination of both, but obviously I'm not privy to that kind of info so don't quote me on it. ;)

I think I mentioned it somewhere else today that the C runs every ten minutes throughout the day. And that's according to the schedule, so any kind of delay will obviously make that ten minute wait even longer.

I don't recall off hand but usually it should be more frequent, but I've found myself waiting a good 20 minutes for an (A) and in that time period, two (C) s will come.

Might be a delay

The TPH of the (A) is 18-19, and the (C) is 6-7.

That is a little to many trains on the (A). A few trains should be taken off the (A) and put on the (C). I've seen some packed (C) trains. And I've seen empty (A) trains at the same time.

That is a little to many trains on the (A). A few trains should be taken off the (A) and put on the (C). I've seen some packed (C) trains. And I've seen empty (A) trains at the same time.

How is that too many? Each branch of the (A) needs at least 9 TPH. The Rockaways have 10, Lefferts Blvd has 9. In Manhattan, the combined frequency of the (C) and (E) is 18-21 TPH. The (A) needs to be at least 18 TPH to match that.

Personally, I like the R32's. I'm actually hoping we don't get the 179's because I would love to have CPW be the only non-NTT line in the system. While i'm sure SOME of the reason it got so low is the R32's, but the majority of it most likely comes from 6TPH, and pretty packed trains. (Have you ever seen a (C) during rush hour?)

How is that too many? Each branch of the (A) needs at least 9 TPH. The Rockaways have 10, Lefferts Blvd has 9. In Manhattan, the combined frequency of the (C) and (E) is 18-21 TPH. The (A) needs to be at least 18 TPH to match that.

Why does the (A) have to match that? I've never been out to the Rockaways, but why do they need so much. Is it really that important. To match up it is highly unlikely possible for the the (C) to go to Lefferts.

Why does the (A) have to match that? I've never been out to the Rockaways, but why do they need so much. Is it really that important. To match up it is highly unlikely possible for the the (C) to go to Lefferts.

Because the express needs to be faster than the local, or they'd be no point in having the express in the first place. And yes, 10 TPH to the Rockaways is that important. It's they're only local connection to Midtown, or you have to take the Q52/53 to Elmhurst for the Queens Blvd Lines. If you've never been out there, don't make assumptions. And don't even bring UP the (C) to Lefferts unless you want this thread locked.

Archived