Straphangers: Q line the best (surprise!), the C is the worst (again)

IntExp

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

straphangers always like to pick on lines that have the oldest subway equipment, the R32's are here to stay until the new car order comes in, once that new car order come in, most of them will be replaced, the replaced units will mainly be in work service while the rest go to scrap, the R42's aren't getting SMS'ed at all its unknown what the TA wants to do with them, we will find out when the R32 SMS is complete, and on topic the ()' /> corrected Straphangers, Straphangers just want to stir up more Crap (politics) to get the people to complain, I give credit to the ()' /> for trying their best to improove the system, but People Need to STFU and be thankful that their train comes in, Back then trains ran like complete shit compare to now, and the reason for more Breakdowns is because of the Cuts made in 2010, Blame Jay Walder for that, most of those RCI and Car maintaners were cut (layed off) from their jobs, 207th st (houses the R32's) was one of the yards that got hit the hardest when it came to these cuts, so you can't blame the equipment, Blame the ()' /> for cutting staff

I don't know about the Upper West Side, but I know I hate riding those trains. They're depressing, dark, outdated with a creepy 70s feel and just need to go.

The R32s actually had brighter interiors in the 70s than they do now, as long as the lights were working and the train didn't get "bombed" (covered in grafitti). That "creepy 70s feel" you described didn't come about until 1989-90 when the cars were GOH'ed. And it got worse when the put in those dark floors during a later SMS.

The creepy 70's feel pre-GOH would have been from the R32a's, with the indirect lighting (like what the 38's had, and got again in GOH). The lower 32's had the R16-36 all glass cover direct lighting and were brighter, except when lights were out and not replaced. Things were never that bad (for long anyway) after GOH.

I think it's funny that folks are commenting on the creepy 70's interior... I thought I was the only one that felt that way, but I guess not. I just depresses me because I feel like I'm in a time warp when I step on those trains, especially since I didn't exist until the 80s.

While I agree with some of what you guys are saying, I still want to say this:

First of all, Straphangers.org never said that the subway system is bad. They only compared lines to each other. They weren't complaining nearly as much as some members of this forum!

R32 3838, I know you like your R32s so much, but the fact remains that older cars don't perform as well as newer cars. It doesn't mean that Straphangers.org is trying to stir up political pressure (and make people mad about the R32s); it's just a fact: when you do a reliability survey, you'll generally find that older cars rank worse.

Look, every subway line is good enough. That's my opinion; the system has flaws, but every line will get you where you need to go. We should all understand that even if a train ranks worst, it'll still get you to your destination.

Regardless of how useful or useless their MetroCard ratings are, there's nothing wrong with comparing subway lines in my opinion. Rather than viewing it as purely a complaint, I see it as an interesting way to figure out information about each line and its strengths and weaknesses.

Watching Fox 5 this morning, according to the MTA, they say that in all fairness, the (C) has to share tracks with other trains which could delay it. In sum until the new trains come in to replace what are the oldest cars in the system and more signal upgrades are made, I don't see much changing with the (C), so I would expect it to be the worst line again next year. Apparently subway platforms were also considered as well with the grade and some folks that use the (C) say the trains are dirty and the platforms aren't great either.

Watching Fox 5 this morning, according to the ()' />, they say that in all fairness, the (C) has to share tracks with other trains which could delay it.

That's true, but the (C) actually was rated very well in on-time performance. On the other hand, think about a line like the (5): it starts out at Dyre Av, merges with the (2) at East 180 St, goes express, merges with the (2) again at 3 Av-149 St, then it merges with the (4) after 149 St-Grand Concourse, merges with the (2)and (3) after Franklin Av, and then finally ends at Flatbush Av. That's a lot of merging and track-sharing. Delays, though, were not an issue for the (C), but they were for the (5).

That's true, but the (C) actually was rated very well in on-time performance. On the other hand, think about a line like the (5): it starts out at Dyre Av, merges with the (2) at East 180 St, goes express, merges with the (2) again at 3 Av-149 St, then it merges with the (4) after 149 St-Grand Concourse, merges with the (2)and (3) after Franklin Av, and then finally ends at Flatbush Av. That's a lot of merging and track-sharing. Delays, though, were not an issue for the (C), but they were for the (5).

Track merging is not an issue for the (C) because the only merging they do is when they run on the same track as the (A). This would therefore make sense.

Track merging is not an issue for the (C) because the only merging they do is when they run on the same track as the (A). This would therefore make sense.

Well, the (C) also merges with the (B) and (E). One of the reasons IMO why the (C) doesn't have delay issues is that it isn't very frequent, so it's less likely to get close to a train ahead of it.

Yeah, the (5) has a ten minute interval throughout the weekdays due to track merging issues, especially the Grand Concourse loop and space limitations between Franklin and Nostrand Avenues via Rogers Avenue Junction. That's why some (2)(5) begin/terminate at Utica or New Lots Avenues.

Well, the (C) also merges with the (B) and (E). One of the reasons IMO why the (C) doesn't have delay issues is that it isn't very frequent, so it's less likely to get close to a train ahead of it.

Agreed.

Yeah, the (5) has a ten minute interval throughout the weekdays due to track merging issues, especially the Grand Concourse loop and space limitations between Franklin and Nostrand Avenues via Rogers Avenue Junction. That's why some (2)(5) begin/terminate at Utica or New Lots Avenues.

No, it doesn't, actually.

The reason why (5) trains terminate at Utica/New Lots is because of capacity at Flatbush terminal, not Rogers Av Junction. The Rogers Av Junction sure causes delays, though.

The reason why (5) trains terminate at Utica/New Lots is because of capacity at Flatbush terminal, not Rogers Av Junction. The Rogers Av Junction sure causes delays, though.

You sure? Because the (5) has to swtich to/from the local track on the Eastern Parkway Line to acess the Nostrand Avenue Line/EP express track. Remember whenever the (3) or (5) arrives at and leaves Franklin Av, either of which get held to let the other go first (this is occasional). With the (2) and (4), its not a problem. That's why when a (3) arrives, the (5) pulls out or a (5) arrives then the (3) pulls out most times. The Rogers Junction is problematic for both lines. I know because I live almost near the (3)(4). I even read up Wikipedia that its because of the junction (All MTA articles on there are reliable as they follow the site itself).

If this is the case then the (5) should end with the (4) at Utica Av while the (2) and (3) handled their southernmost lines themselves, resulting in all (2)(3)(4)(5) having a 6-10 minute interval IMO.

You sure? Because the (5) has to swtich to/from the local track on the Eastern Parkway Line to acess the Nostrand Avenue Line/EP express track. Remember whenever the (3) or (5) arrives at and leaves Franklin Av, either of which get held to let the other go first. With the (2) and (4), its not a problem. That's why when a (3) arrives, the (5) pulls out or a (5) arrives then the (3) pulls out. The Rogers Junction is problematic for both lines. I know because I live almost near the (3)(4). I even read up Wikipedia that its because of the junction (All MTA articles on there are reliable as they follow the site itself).

If this is the case then the (5) should end with the (4) at Utica Av while the (2) and (3) handled their southernmost lines themselves, resulting in all (2)(3)(4)(5) having a 6-10 minute interval IMO.

The reason each branch has a line from the east and west side is so riders have the option for where they want to go, rather than having to transfer at Franklin Avenue. Not all (5) trains can turn on one track at Flatbush Avenue, so that's why some go to Utica and New Lots. Same for the (2).

I think it's funny that folks are commenting on the creepy 70's interior... I thought I was the only one that felt that way, but I guess not. I just depresses me because I feel like I'm in a time warp when I step on those trains, especially since I didn't exist until the 80s.

Watching Fox 5 this morning, according to the MTA, they say that in all fairness, the (C) has to share tracks with other trains which could delay it. In sum until the new trains come in to replace what are the oldest cars in the system and more signal upgrades are made, I don't see much changing with the (C), so I would expect it to be the worst line again next year. Apparently subway platforms were also considered as well with the grade and some folks that use the (C) say the trains are dirty and the platforms aren't great either.

The (C) itself isn't that dirty, I think it's just a matter of the R32's having chipped paint, scratched seats and whatnot.

I usually don't go down Fulton, so I don't know if the platforms are bad down there, but I think the CPW platforms are fine.

The (C) itself isn't that dirty, I think it's just a matter of the R32's having chipped paint, scratched seats and whatnot.

I usually don't go down Fulton, so I don't know if the platforms are bad down there, but I think the CPW platforms are fine.

The Fulton platforms aren't really bad, but they could use some work nonetheless...

You sure?

Yes.

http://straphangers.com/statesub12/5profile.pdf

The Rogers Junction is problematic for both lines.

I know that it's problematic, but I've heard that the Flatbush Av terminal is why (5) trains terminate at Utica/New Lots

I know because I live almost near the (3)(4). I even read up Wikipedia that its because of the junction (All MTA articles on there are reliable as they follow the site itself).

Wikipedia isn't necessarily a reliable source for MTA information, as any railfan can edit it. Which article talks about the Rogers Av Junction? Can you find it?

Terminating the (4) or (5) at New Lots (and having it stop at Nostrand and Kinston) won't help, because it'll have to merge with the (2)(3) to reach the local track (at the Rogers Av Junction). Look at the track map and I think you'll understand. By the way, the (2)(3)(4)(5) all DO have a 6-10 minute interval or less.

I said that both (4)(5) ends together at Utica via express while the (2)(3) run to Flatbush/New Lots respectively themselves. Re-read my previous post and yes I know about the NYCS track map already.

Due to space limitations along the Nostrand Avenue segment south of Franklin Avenue, both (2) and (5) some rush hour trains end at Utica/New Lots. Check both (2)(5) articles. Wikipedia NYCS articles ARE reliable and follow the MTA sites. Check the page history. Any vandalism can be reverted back to normal.

And how is the (2) supposed to handle Nostrand Av ridership by itself??

I said it's just IMO! Re-read my post again. Geez, I said if the Rogers Junction was the case then the (2) can handed Nostrand Av ridership IMO! I didn't say it as if its fact, damn!

Why is it every time Strappies come out with these results, somehow it turns into an argument about the R32s

Simply put, you can only rebuild but so much before the cost of rebuilding becomes too high and replacing it is more efficient

...dunno why people taking this thing seriously anyway, its not an official MTA poll

You're absolutely right. Just like how some (E) trains terminate at 179 St. The terminal layout just can't handle every single train that goes in and out of there

Exactly, The R38's were reliable as well, some of them wold have still be in service if it wasnt for an idiot TA superviosr, they were gonna bring back the remaining R38's that were stored in concourse yard but someone fount out and said scrap em, the R42's days are numbered, they won't be getting SMS'ed anything can happen to them, as for the R32's they were reliable, but now that the barns pay attention to the newer cars, they don't give a crap about the R32's hence their issues and on top of that the MTA layed off alot of people who worked on the subway cars syatem wide, thats why alot of subway cars are not doing good now

I really hope whoever made the decision not to save any R38s (other than a pair for the Transit Museum) is not still working for Transit. That person's short-sightedness is coming back to haunt the MTA, who now barely has enough B-Division cars for service. It really would have been helpful to still have the 38s around given what happened with the R44s. Now that the 38s are gone, I hope Transit doesn't send the 42s off to scrap until the 179s get here. Not waiting for them could spell trouble down the road.

Archived