Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
TromNek

Subway Radio scanning for a youngster

Hello all.

My wife's best friend's 5 year old son is a complete NYC Subway junkie.

I thought he might enjoy listening to the subway chatter on my radio.

However, most of the traffic seems to be transit police related.

Do you folks have any tips or frequencies with heavy traffic that might be interesting for him?

I was thinking of taking him to the Coney Island Yard, maybe the F-train/Avenue X station and see if we can hear the towers directing trains and spot them moving with binoculars. Do you think that might work?

many thanks,

ken

From what I know, NYC Subway radio has more Police Chatter than rail operations chatter, the ()' /> Long Island Railroad and Metro-North Railroad has more chatter on rail operations, however I don't know the number frequency, someone else might be able to help.

I have the frequency for them in my scanner at home. I'd be weary about using binoculars to look into the yard. Might arouse suspicion from people.

I'll have to think about the binoculars some more.

I think I have all the frequencies, but it would hurt to double check them.

The map of the Coney Island Yard here in the forum is not very legible. Does anyone have a better copy so I can see track numbers?

I have a Scanner. Yes you will hear more NYPD Transit District compared to the NYC Subway. For Railroad, a lot more of that compared to MTA PD as Keystone noted. There is no way to block off Police related activity from transit.

For frequencies, Radio reference has a huge database of it, including non-NYCTA:

Heres for NYC (including transit) for those interested

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1855

(Just be careful on keeping Radios/Scanners out, since law enforcement officers will get on your back, if they see you around with these. Best to keep it hidden)

Edited by mark1447
  • Upvote 1