Is PATH OPTO?

CDTA

No, there is a conductor on the train. He has no cab, he stands next to the buttons with the passengers.

You know, I love how PATH is the most paranoid TA (in terms of terrorist attacks), and yet they put the controls right where anybody could touch them...

PATH has a train engineer (I think that's the correct term) and a conductor. The conductor has no cabin, so he or she must use a panel at the end of the car. Occasionally, some one is the way, and the conductor has to ask them to move.

I rode PATH a few weeks ago. I noticed that the conductor was in the car next to the engineer. Maybe it was just for a moment, but is that allowed? Does PATH have the same rules as the MTA regarding what car the conductor has to be in?

The conductor is always in one of the first two cars of the train for PATH. If the platform is on the right hand side, with respect to running direction, then the conductor is on the second car. If the platform is on the left hand side, he/she must move back to the first car. That is just the way the door controls are positioned on path trains.

You need a key, without one you can mash the buttons all you want but nothing will happen, even the PA.

LOL! But, why would anyone mash the buttons. Do they want to make it hard.

Still, it is pretty insecure considering anyone could pretty much inspect the keyhole and obtain a similar or matching key, it's still funny and ironic how the most paranoid T/A system in the metro area expose their controls to the public when the ()' /> close and lock em' up usually.

It makes sense actually; if the conductor is out there with the riding public he is able to observe better.. Also I guess it makes the passengers feel better that there is an employee riding with them instead of being enclosed and hidden away in the cab. In addition this allows the train to hold more people, since when the train gets crowded the vacant conductor's areas can be used as standing space by passengers.

I also don't get why they have em in the first and second car though, but that's for another discussion I guess.

They have a similar system in Toronto with their older T1 cars; but instead they have collapsible cabs.. Operator uses a half cab in the front of the train; conductor opens up the door and the half cab turns into a full cab in the last car. Honestly I think the collapsible cab idea is a really good idea.. seeing how big the R160 cabs are, it can really help on a crowded rush hour train.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived