Here we go again: Wal-Mart looking to open shop in Queens

IntExp

I think that will heavily depend on what consumers have to say. Consumers can have an influence and companies don't like bad publicity.

Well, overall Walmart customers who live in NYC have a very positive view on the company and want one in NYC, however only these liberal activists are against Walmart simply because of what they did before, it's like denying Toyota presence in NYC because of their brake defects, or BP because of their inconsideration on the environment before, or even McDonalds and Coca Cola for having somewhat of a food & beverage problem here in China in February. I've even heard of independent people who want a job in Walmart simply because they can get it to make ends kinda meet.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, overall Walmart customers who live in NYC have a very positive view on the company and want one in NYC, however only these liberal activists are against Walmart simply because of what they did before, it's like denying Toyota presence in NYC because of their brake defects, or BP because of their inconsideration on the environment before, or even McDonalds and Coca Cola for having somewhat of a food & beverage problem here in China in February. I've even heard of independent people who want a job in Walmart simply because they can get it to make ends kinda meet.

Well I do agree with you that if folks are going to be so against Walmart, then what about box stores with similar practices? There is a double standard occurring, probably because Walmart has been so successful, so they've been under the microscope more.

I think what's really interesting is how much will folks sacrifice for low prices? That remains to be seen. There's been some outcry here and there about outsourcing because so many American jobs have been lost but I think we're in for an interesting few years ahead in terms of what will happen with the economy. If we keep losing the jobs, including high paying ones and not replacing them or even better, replacing them with low paying service jobs, you'll have an endless cycle where folks can barely make ends meet and will need to depend on places like Walmart. Now on the surface it is certainly competition, but looking at the big picture, the only real winner are stores like Walmart.

FFS this needs to stop already. Walmart can (and should) open up a store in this city. There's people who need to save as much money as they can in these hard times, and Walmart would sure help them do just that. Sure, local businesses would take a hit, but that also happens when Target or any other "big box" discount chain opens up here.

People need to chill out. Walmart's already done their "damage" to the rest of the country.

FFS this needs to stop already. Walmart can (and should) open up a store in this city. There's people who need to save as much money as they can in these hard times, and Walmart would sure help them do just that. Sure, local businesses would take a hit, but that also happens when Target or any other "big box" discount chain opens up here.

People need to chill out. Walmart's already done their "damage" to the rest of the country.

What you and others don't realize is that it isn't the Walmart's and Targets that create most of the jobs in this country, but the local small businesses that as you say would take a hit. With those businesses not around, that's few jobs for folks to get access to.

What you and others don't realize is that it isn't the Walmart's and Targets that create most of the jobs in this country, but the local small businesses that as you say would take a hit. With those businesses not around, that's few jobs for folks to get access to.

Still VG8 in relation to NYC and other low income neighborhoods across america many local smaller business also take advnatage by overpricing on products. You go even now to a gentifiried neighborhood like Bushwick Brooklyn and because of lack of box stores, the bodgeas charge $4 or more for gallon of milk. reactions?

Still VG8 in relation to NYC and other low income neighborhoods across america many local smaller business also take advnatage by overpricing on products. You go even now to a gentifiried neighborhood like Bushwick Brooklyn and because of lack of box stores, the bodgeas charge $4 or more for gallon of milk. reactions?

lol... So the bodegas overcharge the customers and the box stores like Walmart don't pay their workers for hours worked and use other cut throat practices to get you those so low prices... It's not so much the bodegas overcharging, but rather they can't buy in bulk the way the Walmart's can which allows them to negotiate better with the vendors. In addition to that, the Walmart's can threaten the vendors to pull out if they don't slash their prices due to the buying power that Walmart has. Everyone keeps talking about low prices, but no one talks about how these box stores are able to offer low prices and apparently they don't seem to care how either, which quite frankly they should.

I even recall Sam's Club which I believe Walmart owns was getting counterfeit products in until they were busted and even the beloved Walmart itself was selling counterfeit goods...

See Walmart admits selling counterfeit goods: http://makingchangea...rfeit-products/

But yeah gotta have those low prices regardless of how folks get them...

Who cares if they are opening a store? At least people will have more options to shop and will be able to save money with the deals Wal-Mart has. Some of you guys are making too much of a big deal out of this.

Who cares if they are opening a store? At least people will have more options to shop and will be able to save money with the deals Wal-Mart has. Some of you guys are making too much of a big deal out of this.

That's because some folks only think about low prices and savings and don't care how places like Walmart gets those low prices. The way Walmart has historically knocked down competition for those who don't want to shop there, one could argue that there would be fewer options in terms of where to shop and save money not more.

I know of several co workers at last couple of teaching and other jobs since i moved here to Hudson Valley who "refuse" to ever step foot in a Wal Mart. Including a former Asst. Principal/Supervisor who came from a family of union workers.

Even if it means paying say couple of dollars more at a rival store. Wal Mart is a polarzing company in America and now dozens of countries overseas.

I'm not going to say SHIT about walmart.... it's one topic I'm sick of talkin about, on or offline.....

IMO, those auto shops along the eastern side of citifield should go elsewhere though.... it's an eyesore to say the least.... smell is sickening over there too.... way too many of em, it's the whole dam block !

I can only imagine the amount of traffic in the area (on the northern blvd side or the roosevelt av side, don't matter) that would be increased/exacerbated if some big box store were to open up next to citifield though..... much like traffic will be when the nets start playin here in brooklyn......

Speaking of big box stores: the Costcos in Bay Ridge (~36th st-3rd av) could use additional parking spaces (more like a multi story parking lot). Anytime I pass by the lot is packed with people circling the block looking for space. It's a big contrast to some locations in Jersey where the lots seem to go on as far as the eye can see.

Speaking of big box stores: the Costcos in Bay Ridge (~36th st-3rd av) could use additional parking spaces (more like a multi story parking lot). Anytime I pass by the lot is packed with people circling the block looking for space. It's a big contrast to some locations in Jersey where the lots seem to go on as far as the eye can see.

That costco's over there on 39th st, yeah that parking lot is too small... although I agree w/ multilevel parking for it, the way the establishment is laid out kills any chance for that to happen, as the current parking lot is on the 3rd av side..... The physical bldg. would've had to have been closer to 3rd av so that all the cars can enter the (multilevel) parking lot on 2nd av....

Archived