Here we go again: Wal-Mart looking to open shop in Queens

IntExp

via is too dam worried about workers issues when there is a bigger problem a hand....

If they build that mall, where the hell am I gonna park for the ball game?

Well yes that is another issue... Did they expand the parking spaces at all with the new Citi Field? Parking was a joke/rip off at the old Shea Stadium.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, maybe put them at the Manhattan mall? The place just keeps shrinking every few years anyway... only a matter of time till only the JCPenny's remains the last store there.

Speaking of formerly abandoned places, I'm glad they finally made use of the former Caldor's building in Flushing. All those years empty, smh. They could've converted it into a multi story parking lot and it would've been a better use.

IMO, those auto shops along the eastern side of citifield should go elsewhere though.... it's an eyesore to say the least.... smell is sickening over there too.... way too many of em, it's the whole dam block !

Just because it en eyesore doesn't mean you should moved them out there business and they have been there long since citifield was build and judging how the city works they don't move business they close it down and take the land via eminent domain turning it into public housing, I rather have a that eyesore over public housing.

Just because it en eyesore doesn't mean you should moved them out there business and they have been there long since citifield was build and judging how the city works they don't move business they close it down and take the land via eminent domain turning it into public housing, I rather have a that eyesore over pubic housing.

Public Housing is an eyesore.

IMO, those auto shops along the eastern side of citifield should go elsewhere though.... it's an eyesore to say the least.... smell is sickening over there too.... way too many of em, it's the whole dam block !

Nah bro, as bad as it may look, they're really good car people. Last time I was down there with my old man getting a flat tire patched up. It was pretty quick, and only cost us 10 bucks!

Just because it en eyesore doesn't mean you should moved them out there business and they have been there long since citifield was build and judging how the city works they don't move business they close it down and take the land via eminent domain turning it into public housing, I rather have a that eyesore over pubic housing.

....and just because you would rather have the auto shops over public housing doesn't mean the auto shops should stay.... I can make that same type of argument if I was dead set on wanting a walmart (or any other big box store for the matter) over there....

Why you're mentioning eminent domain (and public housing) here is beyond me.... Yeah the city doesn't move businesses, but they don't close businesses down either.....

Still, they shouldn't all be gathered in that one area. Break them up and spread them out. It is a joke to see the 'industrial revolution' next to a stadium and park land.

I'm sayin though.....

.... and lol @ industrial revolution.

Nah bro, as bad as it may look, they're really good car people. Last time I was down there with my old man getting a flat tire patched up. It was pretty quick, and only cost us 10 bucks

Oh I'm not knocking the auto shops as a business.... I'm knocking the locale.....

Well that, and the fact that there's simply too many of em in that specific area (block).....

I suppose you mean public housing... Well I'd rather have neither...

Why you're mentioning eminent domain (and public housing) here is beyond me.... Yeah the city doesn't move businesses, but they don't close businesses down either.....

How do you think the public housing projects were built? those areas were originally slums, they were slums but they were good neighborhoods and had some small business then the city decided to remove the slums in favor this public housing which would be come heaven for crime and lack of maintenance.

I just picked up on what you're alluding to..... lol.....

How do you think Lincoln center was built?

I don't care how lincoln center was built..... It has nothing to do with anything here, just like public housing doesn't......

Businesses aren't closed down under eminent domain.... the property the businesses encompass is taken away w/o the owner(s) approval..... the businesses can always move to another area & operate......

And here I thought you were on the side of small business Lol. even if they garages are dirty and an eyesore.

Businesses aren't closed down under eminent domain.... the property the businesses encompass is taken away w/o the owner(s) approval..... the businesses can always move to another area & operate......

Sure they do ;)

Sure they do what ?

....and on both sides of the block at that.

I went to a Mets' game with my buddy Diego a while ago and he parked his Mustang over there and I was thinking Geez what a dump. I was surprised nothing was stolen when we came back. The place is so deserted at night and so run down. Pretty creepy actually. It's good that they're trying to develop the place, but a Walmart would just be too much there.

How do you think the public housing projects were built? those areas were originally slums, they were slums but they were good neighborhoods and had some small business then the city decided to remove the slums in favor this public housing which would be come heaven for crime and lack of maintenance.

You edited that post asking me about lincoln center to tell me this.....

What are you telling me this for..... why are you going off on this tangent about public housing & slums.....

Businesses do not CLOSE once a property a business is propped on has had eminent domain declared on it, and that's the last time I'm going to say that..... What you are arguing is the main effect OF eminent domain.... Yeah it can LEAD to a business closing down, but it does not CLOSE the business.... I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.....

I went to a Mets' game with my buddy Diego a while ago and he parked his Mustang over there and I was thinking Geez what a dump. I was surprised nothing was stolen when we came back. The place is so deserted at night and so run down. Pretty creepy actually. It's good that they're trying to develop the place, but a Walmart would just be too much there.

Agreed, you don't need no walmart over there... and speaking of parking, why did your friend bother to park in that area by the auto shops.... He didn't wanna pay for parking or something.... I mean, before I saw it w/ my own eyes, I have heard of people parking their cars (and tailgating out) as far as northern blvd under the whitestone expwy. over there..... Started noticing that when I would ride the Q66 to/from Flushing....

Agreed, you don't need no walmart over there... and speaking of parking, why did your friend bother to park in that area by the auto shops.... He didn't wanna pay for parking or something.... I mean, before I saw it w/ my own eyes, I have heard of people parking their cars (and tailgating out) as far as northern blvd under the whitestone expwy. over there..... Started noticing that when I would ride the Q66 to/from Flushing....

Good question... Yeah I think he didn't feel like paying for parking and quite frankly I don't blame him. The parking lot in the old Shea Stadium was a dump, so why pay for parking when you can park for free on a side street. He got free tickets a few times from a friend of his that couldn't use them and took me and every time he parked on the street, which is what a lot of people do apparently. Quite frankly I would've too. The money was better used for drinks and such afterwards. For Yankees games at the new stadium though, he parks in one of those garages, which IMO is a wise choice.

IMO i always felt a better place to place a Wal Mart in Queens was in the Long Island City area by or near 21st Street not far from the bridge and queensbridge. It mostly an industry zone. By opening a Wal Mart there it could develop LIC same as how Ikea did to Red Hook, Brooklyn.

With the Willets Point area by the junkyards, the only thing developed should be a few sportsbars, diners and hotels related for the Mets. The traffic in Citifield area can be busy even during non-game days and concerts. Just my views.

With the Willets Point area by the junkyards, the only thing developed should be a few sportsbars, diners and hotels related for the Mets.

This I can agree with..... There's really nothin to eat (or do, really) over by citifield before/after the game....

This I can agree with..... There's really nothin to eat (or do, really) over by citifield before/after the game....

Not to go off topic bro. However my hotels/sportsbars idea is also ditto for the Giants Stadium aka Met Life Stadium area in Meadowlands. I know there mini diners and resturants but they overpriced. I thought the Xandu super mall was supposed to open by now. Like Shea/Citifield there nothing to hang out at in meadowlands sports complex area. Unless you like hanging out on game days with nearly drunk Jets/Giants fans for tailgating lol. :o

Archived