Training and Schoolcar...

DOB2RTO

Wowzerz....!! OK everyone, chill....I go away for 3 days and there's all this talk about emergency cords and circuit breakers...If I can borrow a line from Rodney King...Can't we all just get along?!?! :)

No, but you can get a beatdown like Rodney King :(:P:P:p.........

lol...not me,I'm chilling!!C/R's talking some emergency cord and battery B.S.:(

Overtime for me.........

Wow NASCAR what the C/R said went over your head but its ok your in school car. Better treate the C/R's nice they can make or Break any T/O.

And vise-versa........

Wait till you see the grumpy motormen, there was this guy the other day at Bedford Park who was Vacation Relief bitching and crying about being behind a slow (D) train. Then he started getting racial about how the uniforms were made by a white man and how he likes to weak his uniform all baggy. I just kept quiet I felt like telling him how his uniform stripes signifies that hes a engineer but he's just a T/O not an Engineer because I know his small and pea sized brain didn't know that.

It was a disgusting moment for me I have heard Motormen whine but nothing like this. He's definitely someone I would love to yank and hang off the cord on he was just a waste of space.

He must of been young, and from the hood. Some do need to be hanged, and are just a waste of space........I'm Negro-American and am saying this.......

The "White man" comment was definitely stupid, however the "yanking" and "hanging" off the cord coment you made can offend some people also.Now...I'm not saying yur a "racist" or whatever but you could have worded that a little better imo.

I disagree. I liked the way he worded it. Brunt, and with brute(icus) force......

Oh yeh..Cover yo A$$,I'm a firm believer in this!!

CYA also means "consider yourself accountable".........

We run electric and diesel trains also.The diesel trains are called "work trains" and they use them to bring supplies and materials to workers that are repairing tracks.You have to be qualified for these trains to operate them.We as Train Operators also learn to operate trains in different divisions.WE have the "A " and "B" divisions.Each division have different signs and signals that you MUST know to safely operate.Each division has different track systems that you have to know.Each division have different equipment that you have to learn.You have the Smee equipment and the newer trains that only have brake pipe air!We also operate the older trains like the R44's, R46's.I have been training for almost 3 mos. and I have operated the R44's, R46's,R40A's,R40slants,R42's,R32's,R38's,R60's,R60A's,R160's and more to come!That's just one division which is the "B" division!I have to operate all these trains if I wan't to keep my job..lol I think that's a pretty good resume right there.:P Now,I'm not knocking the L.I.R.R. because it's definitely the DREAM job but I think TA train operators do alot also and should be paid MORE atleast parity with you guys.Is it gonna happen?? Don't think so, but it's something the union needs to address. Btw,you guys run mostly in a straight line..lol We DIVERGE..:P

C Div, work trains....... LIRR doesn't have the retirement we have though. It's 30 years, and the age I forget......

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We run electric and diesel trains also.The diesel trains are called "work trains" and they use them to bring supplies and materials to workers that are repairing tracks.You have to be qualified for these trains to operate them.We as Train Operators also learn to operate trains in different divisions.WE have the "A " and "B" divisions.Each division have different signs and signals that you MUST know to safely operate.Each division has different track systems that you have to know.Each division have different equipment that you have to learn.You have the Smee equipment and the newer trains that only have brake pipe air!We also operate the older trains like the R44's, R46's.I have been training for almost 3 mos. and I have operated the R44's, R46's,R40A's,R40slants,R42's,R32's,R38's,R60's,R60A's,R160's and more to come!That's just one division which is the "B" division!I have to operate all these trains if I wan't to keep my job..lol I think that's a pretty good resume right there.:( Now,I'm not knocking the L.I.R.R. because it's definitely the DREAM job but I think TA train operators do alot also and should be paid MORE atleast parity with you guys.Is it gonna happen?? Don't think so, but it's something the union needs to address. Btw,you guys run mostly in a straight line..lol We DIVERGE..:(

If I am mistaken the reason that T/O are not consider Engineers is cause this is a subway system (I don't believe this is light rail). Although I have been made fun of by a friend of mine who works for Canadian Pacific who called me a light rail conductor.

Secondly yea the signals in the different division of NYCT may be a little different but in the real railroad I am sure that LIRR has to communicate with Amtraks towers and let them know or get permission to use a certain terminal track at penn station. Also you CANNOT take a B division train into A division territory due to the wideness of the trains. Heh make sure when you work CCY you dont get the lineup to the 4 Lines tracks to Bedford Park station on the 4 line I heard a story about some motorman doing that before lol.

So the trains can not travel freely around the subways system unlike the railroad but hey the union I don't know man some of them are a little shady to me but hey I pay my dues so I can make that comment lol. I have to call them about an issue I am having so I will see how good they are. I am hoping they get us a nice contract coming up would be nice to get a lil more money, however in this economies current situation I can see givebacks coming.

If I am mistaken the reason that T/O are not consider Engineers is cause this is a subway system (I don't believe this is light rail). Although I have been made fun of by a friend of mine who works for Canadian Pacific who called me a light rail conductor.

Secondly yea the signals in the different division of NYCT may be a little different but in the real railroad I am sure that LIRR has to communicate with Amtraks towers and let them know or get permission to use a certain terminal track at penn station. Also you CANNOT take a B division train into A division territory due to the wideness of the trains. Heh make sure when you work CCY you dont get the lineup to the 4 Lines tracks to Bedford Park station on the 4 line I heard a story about some motorman doing that before lol.

So the trains can not travel freely around the subways system unlike the railroad but hey the union I don't know man some of them are a little shady to me but hey I pay my dues so I can make that comment lol. I have to call them about an issue I am having so I will see how good they are. I am hoping they get us a nice contract coming up would be nice to get a lil more money, however in this economies current situation I can see givebacks coming.

I'm not sure where yur going with this??DON'T you think I know that a B division train CANNOT go into A division territory??You have got to be kidding me right?I'm not debating what L.I.R.R. does,I don't work for them,I work for NYC transit.When you make moves in the yard,you MUST check yur rails and switches for the route before you make moves and question anything that you don't think looks right so that's basic stuff.So yur saying that because L.I.R.R has to contact Amtrack towers coming into Penn station and they cannot move freely they deserve to get paid more??If you are, that's rediculous.I'm SURE yur peers would disagree with you!Even at the learning center the first day of schoolcar,a TSS stated that we are REALLY engineers and we deserve that title and need to be paid more.I really wan't to say more but I might get banned from here so I'll leave it at that.:rolleyes:I always look at the BIGGER picture.

A railroad is under federal rules and regulations, where as NYCT DOS is not. Those railcars must meet federal gov't standards, ours do not have to. Now they say they call them L/E (Locomotive Engineers) over there, due to the fact that when steam was around, they had more work to do with them to get them moving. But then wasn't the subway once steam powered engines???? They have diesel, so do we. They have electric, so do we. We move more people in a year than, Amtrak, LIRR, MNRR, and NJT combined. If my numbers are correct we nearly carry 4 to 5 times more people than all four combined. Do to this we should get paid more. As for us being called L/E, well I don't think that will happen. Most L/E get railroad retirement monies along with their SS, 457/401K, and regular pension......

Their Federal gov't people, we aren't (to a point)........

Hee hee...Gotta be the best Forum right now...like watching a sopa opera..good stuff, can't make this Sh#T up!!!:(
All I do is come on here and give a play by play of my experience in schoolcar.It's getting outta hand now..lol I'm thinking of giving it a rest or hanging out in another forum.Ok,that's what I'll do!I won't post anymore until I graduate or I'll inform you guys if I fail out the course.NASCAR has left the building...peace!

All I do is come on here and give a play by play of my experience in schoolcar.It's getting outta hand now..lol I'm thinking of giving it a rest or hanging out in another forum.Ok,that's what I'll do!I won't post anymore until I graduate or I'll inform you guys if I fail out the course.NASCAR has left the building...peace!

U ain't gone no ware.........

I'm not sure where yur going with this??DON'T you think I know that a B division train CANNOT go into A division territory??You have got to be kidding me right?I'm not debating what L.I.R.R. does,I don't work for them,I work for NYC transit.When you make moves in the yard,you MUST check yur rails and switches for the route before you make moves and question anything that you don't think looks right so that's basic stuff.So yur saying that because L.I.R.R has to contact Amtrack towers coming into Penn station and they cannot move freely they deserve to get paid more??If you are, that's rediculous.I'm SURE yur peers would disagree with you!Even at the learning center the first day of schoolcar,a TSS stated that we are REALLY engineers and we deserve that title and need to be paid more.I really wan't to say more but I might get banned from here so I'll leave it at that.:rolleyes:I always look at the BIGGER picture.

Dude dont take it all to the head as I said I am not sure why T/O are not consider Eng's. If I offended you in any way I do apologize. Secondly I do know your job very well as a T/O just as well as your suppose to know my job. I am sorry if I did offend you I can be very sarcastic at times and if I did get you upset I am sorry.

Nascar why did u stop posting. It was cool reading about your training experiences day by day.

Today was the big signal test, that is a mole hill, made into a mountain, by everyone. It was easy, but they did throw in signals that are not seen everyday, (Train Order, Slow speed ahead, Slow speed order, etc.....). There were 5 essay (write-in) questions, and those were easy also. Everyone in my group did it again, and all passed. Next week we start road operations, and we become p.m. Mon and Tuesday 1500-2300hrs, and Wed - the next Friday (except weekends), we go from 1800-0200hrs......

One is missing from the group, as he is out with a stomach tumor, that is possibly malignant. His immediate MTA family (TA-06), and his extended MTA family (TB-whatever, as their is alot) sends their hopes and prayers that he does recover soon, and good news comes to follow.......

Today I met Taylor's Law at Broad street while I was doing my Xtra J job today it was a pleasure meeting you. I have to say it was pretty funny how you asked me if you seen me before and I remembered you from when I was at 168th.

Too bad I didn't get a chance to ride a relay train with ya when I got back to Broad you had already left. As I said before don't be nervous this job is a cake walk as long as you go by the book. Hopefully when you post the lines you will have me as the C/R and we will be flying lol.

It was a nice day I finally ran into the C/R who broke me in on the (M) line out of all the teachers I had posting he was the only teacher I didn't see on the road till today.

Today I met Taylor's Law at Broad street while I was doing my Xtra J job today it was a pleasure meeting you. I have to say it was pretty funny how you asked me if you seen me before and I remembered you from when I was at 168th.

Too bad I didn't get a chance to ride a relay train with ya when I got back to Broad you had already left. As I said before don't be nervous this job is a cake walk as long as you go by the book. Hopefully when you post the lines you will have me as the C/R and we will be flying lol.

You forgot to add, right out of the station...:):D:D..........

Yeah I was kicking and screaming being forced to B Div but after hearing about the ATS in A Div and T/O's being taken out of service left and right now I think it was a Blessing they sent me to B Div. Some of the C/R I know that got promoted with me that got thier A Div are C/R's again.

Print this and take it with you when you pick next month so that I don't have to hear the ol' "I'm heading to the A Division" speech.:P

Yea, nice to have met u too...Maybe someday we'll meet on the N line and go for some speed records between Lexington and Queensboro plaza...wrap it around!!!

Archived