Training and Schoolcar...

DOB2RTO

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't see the "N" line on my Posting papers...

Maybe it's because it runs for most part with other lines, just like the 5 in the A Div. They didn't have to give us the 5 line. Remeber if they can't give you all the lines during your road posting, they will tell you to ride the line(s) on your own time, to learn it. We done the same crap when I was in buses, except we got paid to do it there........

So you have to ride the (N)ipple to learn it.......

• 2 weeks later...

We are done, we passed our road practical, and we have been released to the crew office starting next week Tuesday. We actually did our road practical in an R142 from the (2) line, that was going to be stored in Livonia Yard. Our School car Superintendent doesn't like waiting for a specific piece of equipment, and we got whatever we could get first, and the (3) line needed their Junkasakis. I got to do the express during the practical from 42st, to 110st (we went up via the 3 line). That enhancement keeps changing, as before you would go for 1 week on each line, working with a T/O but doing their whole job (it's not road posting), or a line TSS would take X amount and go over the line and go up and down the road empty with X amount of us. This time what they did, was give us additional days on each line, so we get it. We should be completely on our own next week, as well their is only 7 of us, from our group of 80 (70 went to the B NASCAR, Taylors Law, etc). For the road practical, no creeping into the station, unless necessary, and no creeping to the 10 car marker. Operate that train. Taylors Law and NASCAR, bring us home............

As for my favorite equipment and line. The (1) and the R62A Bombs, are the greatest. I love the sound of those traction motors (very similar to the R68 on the D line), and I love the sound of those dynamic brakes. I leave the window slightly open just to hear it. I bee movin and the 1. Heck on my second day of posting we got to the Ferry +2 (that's two minutes ahead), but had to wait as our leader was in front, which we got pushed back 5 minutes. The equipment I hate. Those R142As. I am now hating listening to those traction motors all day, and they buck too much. The Canadians beat the Japs this time (maybe not with the distance failure stuff, but with how they operate) . I got to operate on the 4 line with the 142A Sakis (we didn't get a 142 Bomb ), in the rain. That was ohhhhh so funnnn. Wheels spun so much, that the automated announcements were off. We get into one stop, it was calling it the stop up ahead (the way the train calculates where it should be by the distance between the stations, is by how many times the wheels spin, which would give the CPU the distance between the stations. That means the wheels should spin X amount of times for a station 2000ft apart, if it over-spins enough times, it calculates it is 1 or more stations ahead over several stations on wet rails).

As for road posting, there were some T/Os who I would have like to told to just shut up, and if they are going to be so scared to not let the student actually operate, then don't take students, no matter how qualified you are. 3 who I was with, kept with having me take a brake at the beginning of the station, then wondered why the train was jerking. No dynamic brakes jackass, since I am creeping up to the marker, since you want me to take a brake way back there. Then they would get in the seat to show me, and of course they would be well into the station before braking, so they had their dynamics working. Only on the 1, 4, and 5, did I have cool T/O's who let me get a feel for the train, and I did great then. Only once on the 2, 6, and 7 did I get this. Don't get me wrong I can understand one being scared since they pay for what happens, but if you are not going to see me operate the train, and teach me to operate the train (creeping into the station isn't teaching), then do not take students. I just bit my tongue with these, and let them do most of the work. No need for me to operate, if I can't actually operate, but keep having to creep in and out of stations all day..........

As for road posting, there were some T/Os who I would have like to told to just shut up, and if they are going to be so scared to not let the student actually operate, then don't take students, no matter how qualified you are. 3 who I was with, kept with having me take a brake at the beginning of the station, then wondered why the train was jerking. No dynamic brakes jackass, since I am creeping up to the marker, since you want me to take a brake way back there. Then they would get in the seat to show me, and of course they would be well into the station before braking, so they had their dynamics working. Only on the 1, 4, and 5, did I have cool T/O's who let me get a feel for the train, and I did great then. Only once on the 2, 6, and 7 did I get this. Don't get me wrong I can understand one being scared since they pay for what happens, but if you are not going to see me operate the train, and teach me to operate the train (creeping into the station isn't teaching), then do not take students. I just bit my tongue with these, and let them do most of the work. No need for me to operate, if I can't actually operate, but keep having to creep in and out of stations all day..........

Yup..had a few T/O's who were SUPER careful, one being 11 months from retirement (kinda understandable)...but dammit...let me loose for a bit and let me show U what I got...yea, kinda frustrating but like U I bit my tongue and went on....anyways, Good Luck!!

I had some great Trainers in the B Div for Road Posting The worst equipment in B Div land is the R68A's on the(N)(Q)(W)(:( Lines. My favorite is the R32/38/40 Slaints and the R160'S love how they handle but its boring because not much skill involed.

Gotta agree with you Dave...throw those 68's in the water!!!....40 slants forever...

How do you guys find R-68s (non-A) in comparison to the other SMEEs?

I like to call them "NEW versions of the OLD classics"...with that being said though, the braking system on them leave alot to be desired. What happened was that the city at the time needed new trains right away so they kinda cut corners on their order to get them as fast as they could...no digital signs etc..but unfortunately unlike the R32's, r40's etc, does not include air-assisted braking and when you ask for brakes to apply it takes a bit longer for the cam to turn from power to braking, especially if you had a brake and let it go and then asked for a brake again...it's just a matter of adapting to their style. The 68A's are even worse when it comes to this...it may be due to the fact that the line that supplies the air to the brakes is narrower than most other models.

I like to call them "NEW versions of the OLD classics"...with that being said though, the braking system on them leave alot to be desired. What happened was that the city at the time needed new trains right away so they kinda cut corners on their order to get them as fast as they could...no digital signs etc..but unfortunately unlike the R32's, r40's etc, does not include air-assisted braking and when you ask for brakes to apply it takes a bit longer for the cam to turn from power to braking, especially if you had a brake and let it go and then asked for a brake again...it's just a matter of adapting to their style. The 68A's are even worse when it comes to this...it may be due to the fact that the line that supplies the air to the brakes is narrower than most other models.

So the T/O needs to ask for the brake before he normally would? I would imagine that would be a pain to do on lines you normally don't work on.

So the T/O needs to ask for the brake before he normally would? I would imagine that would be a pain to do on lines you normally don't work on.

Not initially really...As you approach the "10 car marker" though you have to be careful not to give up all the brakes because you may miss the mark...if U do give up the brake at the end, you have to grab the brake right away.

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!! Gotta knock some dust off this thread..:rolleyes: As I promised,I'm back to tell you I passed the course and I'm an OH- FISH-SHAL T/O..:D Yessssirrrrr!! We did it!!! I would like to show love to all my classmates.Be careful out there BUMS!!:D I would like to thank both my TSS's especially the"#1 MAN".God bless you my brother!You're one of the nicest people I've ever met in my LIFE.(seriously)Yur an amazing person and it was an honor to be one of yur students.I'm still trynna find out how you retain so much info!Yur like an RTO Wizard..There's NO TSS or T/O that can hold yur brake handle!I solute you sir....NASCAR July14,2008-December31,2008

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!! Gotta knock some dust off this thread..:rolleyes: As I promised,I'm back to tell you I passed the course and I'm an OH- FISH-SHAL T/O..:D Yessssirrrrr!! We did it!!! I would like to show love to all my classmates.Be careful out there BUMS!!:D I would like to thank both my TSS's especially the"#1 MAN".God bless you my brother!You're one of the nicest people I've ever met in my LIFE.(seriously)Yur an amazing person and it was an honor to be one of yur students.I'm still trynna find out how you retain so much info!Yur like an RTO Wizard..There's NO TSS or T/O that can hold yur brake handle!I solute you sir....NASCAR July14,2008-December31,2008

Congats on passing schoolcar!!

Congrats on passing the course. Hopefully, one day, I'll be there with ya!

Well done...enjoy the view :)

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!! Gotta knock some dust off this thread..:rolleyes: As I promised,I'm back to tell you I passed the course and I'm an OH- FISH-SHAL T/O..:D Yessssirrrrr!! We did it!!! I would like to show love to all my classmates.

You mean all of us, or just those in your group????? I wonder if we all graduate together, and when will it be.......

You mean all of us, or just those in your group????? I wonder if we all graduate together, and when will it be.......
All of us!!You,my immediate classmates...All 80 of us or what's left!:rolleyes: I think Graduation will be long off because Transit squeezes every title into one ceremony.T/O,C/R,CLEANERS,STATION SUPV.,STATION AGENTS etc.graduate at one time.I think we all should be there..

Welcome to the real world now!! The fun you had in school car is now over you are hereby thrown to the wolves. Let the games begin!!!
Don't remind me..lol I miss schoolcar already!Wed,Thur RDO's in football season is NOT a good look!:rolleyes: Dave,I didn't sign up for this!!!:eek:

Don't remind me..lol I miss schoolcar already!Wed,Thur RDO's in football season is NOT a good look!:D Dave,I didn't sign up for this!!!:eek:

Yes you did! Just to tell you how rough its going to get I will have 4 Years in title and the best RDO's I can get is Thur/Fri PM's QNS only and it was the last slot. However I took M/T its the second pick I could take it. I been Mostly Tues/Wed.

Archived