Training and Schoolcar...

DOB2RTO

I've been on an R68 that hit 63mph...:tup: The train was empty tho.I've hit about 50mph on an R160 with a FULL HOUSE.I prolly could get it up faster but I don't trust those timers in the tube.When you start to build up speed,the upgrade slows you down as you enter 59st..:( You can also get busy in the tube between Ely ave. and Lexington on the (E)(V) line. Oh I forgot, Northbound Express (A) leaving 59st. to 125St.:) That's a roller-coaster ride!!!! I had a slant 40 on that run and it was awesome...:tup:

Oh man, empty...cmon, you're killin' me, it wuz the ride of my life...:) It may have been empty but it wuz carrying very special people onboard B)

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since going through the tubes is no more than 35mph (legally), that's all I do. For some strange reason though, the speedometers which I believe are set wrong, say highest 46pmh through the Jouralomen St. tubes (or however it is spelled).

I've hit 48mph on the Bway express with an R142 on the (2), from 72 to 42sts, and hit nearly 50mph on the Lex Express from 86 to 59st. Usually 44-45 is all you get on that Lex stretch, but I had a train that was just fast for no reason at all. All I heard was Wooooooo (wind a blowin"), as I was haulin" ass. I'll never do that again, as the dynamics sucked on this fast train (Hmmm maybe that is why it was so fast), and I took a full service brake at the beginning of 59st, and that bad boy wasn't trying to slow down (or so it seemed). All I though was 5 cars were going out. That bad boy stopped on that marker perfect. Then I remembered I had that same set once before, and it did the same thing. Now, at those speeds I break well outside with that set, or any train that runs that fast, on those raggedy tracks going into 59st S/B.........

What happens if the wipers don't work? This would appy mainly to the IRT lines. Are you allowed to use Rain-X on the T/O window?

Call it in, they will have an RCI meet you enroute. First thing to do though, is check the circuit breaker (low voltage), and make sure it ain't tripped. You got Rain-X, use it, as they will be happy cause the train is still doing its job. I ain't Rain-Xing nothing. It's broke they can fix it, unless it is something I was trained to overcome. I wasn't trained in Rain-Xing the windshield.........

Just the way you have to be with, "what is your pass number, then what is your name"..........

What happens if the wipers don't work? This would appy mainly to the IRT lines. Are you allowed to use Rain-X on the T/O window?

Wipers that don't work on a train that goes outside is one of the FEW things that immediatley take the train out of service.

Oh man, empty...cmon, you're killin' me, it wuz the ride of my life...:) It may have been empty but it wuz carrying very special people onboard :)
LOL!!!!!!! I was waiting for U... It was AWESOME!!!!:rock:That Emergency cord was making sweet music...(Tink,Tink,Tink)I gotta show some respect!Some people get all the luck...;)

Since going through the tubes is no more than 35mph (legally), that's all I do. For some strange reason though, the speedometers which I believe are set wrong, say highest 46pmh through the Jouralomen St. tubes (or however it is spelled).

I've hit 48mph on the Bway express with an R142 on the (2), from 72 to 42sts, and hit nearly 50mph on the Lex Express from 86 to 59st. Usually 44-45 is all you get on that Lex stretch, but I had a train that was just fast for no reason at all. All I heard was Wooooooo (wind a blowin"), as I was haulin" ass. I'll never do that again, as the dynamics sucked on this fast train (Hmmm maybe that is why it was so fast), and I took a full service brake at the beginning of 59st, and that bad boy wasn't trying to slow down (or so it seemed). All I though was 5 cars were going out. That bad boy stopped on that marker perfect. Then I remembered I had that same set once before, and it did the same thing. Now, at those speeds I break well outside with that set, or any train that runs that fast, on those raggedy tracks going into 59st S/B.........

48 in the Cranberry tubes......always tryin' to break previous speed...seems to usually always top out around that speed reguardless of the equipment...but I'll keep tryin, B)

From a T/O standpoint, is one division more desirable than the other. I have always liked the routes in Brooklyn as they are outdoors, and end up near the beaches. B Div school is in Bklyn? Are there advantages of A vs B?

People who CHOOSE to go into the A usually live uptown. The A division used to be more desirable because it was much more loose and easy going than the B. But those days are over, now the A is much more strict and tighter than the B.

Alot of who picks what is dictated to where people live.

Thanks Jah.

So if I lived across the river in NJ, and was taking the PATH to NY......would the B division be a reasonable option for me to pick? My class starts on 3/16. I think I would rather be in Bklyn for the school than the Bronx.

Thanks Jah.

So if I lived across the river in NJ, and was taking the PATH to NY......would the B division be a reasonable option for me to pick? My class starts on 3/16. I think I would rather be in Bklyn for the school than the Bronx.

It's all preference. Most of the jersey guys seem to work uptown though.

You only get a choice which division you work in depending on seniority within your class.

Thanks Jah.

At the moment, the T/O class scheduled to start on 3/16 will all (that's 16 of you) be going to the B Div, so you needn't worry about picking. School car takes place all over the system and on all three tours (AM, PM, Midnight). You'll have days in all four boroughs.

I have no idea what the vacation benefit is. How much vacation time do we start out with once we get out of school car?

What ever vacation time you get will be spent during January and February for the first 2years at least then you will be able to get a little march and november.

^ Yeah those 42's I've been operating are GARBAGE too!They should atleast keep them up if they're on the road.On the 160's the radio is annoying because no matter how low you turn it down,the static is LOUD as H*ll..:confused: I usually turn the radio to Yard and use my own...we're not gonna get into that darn PEI..:tdown:

PEI? Oh you mean the drive-thru order kiosk for 'precious' school kids and unattended children?:)"Keep an eye on your kid, will ya...!?"

• 2 weeks later...
During training do you shadow a TO?

First you shadow books. Then you shadow your TSSs. Then you will shadow a yard T/O, then a road T/O. You will also learn C/R duties also (announcements and opening/closing doors, etc......).

I have no idea what the vacation benefit is. How much vacation time do we start out with once we get out of school car?

Like the others said, you will get 1 day per full month worked (partial months do not count); however, you will not be able to use your newly accrued vacation time until 2010. With an April start, you'll be able to pick one week and four days vacation in 2010. The one week will consist of a solid week from Sunday to Saturday (in January or February) and four individual days which you can choose to use in any month.

In 2013 you'll get four weeks vacation, and five weeks in 2025.:tup:

^ Yeah those 42's I've been operating are GARBAGE too!They should atleast keep them up if they're on the road.On the 160's the radio is annoying because no matter how low you turn it down,the static is LOUD as H*ll..:confused: I usually turn the radio to Yard and use my own...we're not gonna get into that darn PEI..:tdown:

Do what I do, buy a roll of duct tape and put a piece of tape over the radio speaker. It'll lower the volume by 50% and won't blast out your ears.

And don't worry about the PEI, that's the Conductor's job. The only time you should touch the PEI is in OPTO service.

Archived