Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Quill Depot

MTA Re-Opens AC Station Mezzanine Connection to Southbound JZ Platform at F

7455950026_4e4bed0708.jpg

The transfer was closed temporarily on March 5, 2012 to allow for renovations of the station.

Improvements to the connection include two new sets of stairs added from the AC platform to the AC mezzanine, bringing the total to 10 sets of stairs. In addition, a number of stairs were widened from their previous configuration. New lighting, floor and wall tiles have also been installed.

The full contract for the mezzanine, led by Skanska Civil USA Northeast Inc., is scheduled to be completed by December 2012. Remaining work includes the installation of two new escalators and five new elevators. All stair reconfigurations are now completed. The re-opening of the transfer also allows for the last section of the reconstructed AC mezzanine to be opened, which is now completely open to customers.

Other components of Fulton Center have already been completed and opened for customer use, including the rehabilitated 23 Fulton Street Station, new 45 Fulton Street Station southern entrances at Maiden Lane, a new entrance at 135 William Street, as well as both platforms and a underpass at the R Cortlandt Street Station.

This customer benefit is part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s larger $1.4 billion Fulton Center project. Scheduled to be completed in June 2014, Fulton Center will link 11 subway lines, PATH service and the World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan.

http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=769

• Upvote 1

Guest MTA Bus

Actually the mezzanine connects the (J)/(Z) with the (4)/(5). This station is starting to get less complicated.

• Upvote 2

Will you still have to go down onto the (A)(C) platform to transfer from the (2)(3) to the (4)(5)?

The (2)(3) will still require you to go via the (A)(C) Platform. I think the reason why there is a connection between teh (4)(5)(J)(Z) now is due to the Fulton Center above it.

The (2)(3) will still require you to go via the (A)(C) Platform. I think the reason why there is a connection between teh (4)(5)(J)(Z) now is due to the Fulton Center above it.

wait, i actually got off a Broad street bound (J) today and walked on the new mezzanine to the (2) without having to go down to the (A)(C) platforms.

He meant you can't get from the (2)(3) to (4)(5) without having to use the (A)(C) platform. The way the (J)(Z) platforms and tracks are stacked on top of each other prevents a direct pathway b/w the 7th av and Lex lines. The new transit 'house' will allow people to go over the (J)(Z) and be an alternative to using the (A) platform.

He meant you can't get from the (2)(3) to (4)(5) without having to use the (A)(C) platform. The way the (J)(Z) platforms and tracks are stacked on top of each other prevents a direct pathway b/w the 7th av and Lex lines. The new transit 'house' will allow people to go over the (J)(Z) and be an alternative to using the (A) platform.

So, you're saying that the transfer will be more convenient when the Transit Center is finished, right?

Well, it's meant to relieve the (A) platform from being the only way to transfer b/w the IRT lines. I personally would still use the (A) platform out of habit and because it doesn't require additional stairs.

• Upvote 1

I like the modern look to it. I hope the reconstruction is as sturdy as it looks in the pic. If a year later we don't see falling tiles or water seepage occuring in the corridor we would have a winner here.

Guest Lance

To those wondering if you'll still have to use the A/C platform for transferring between the 2/3 and 4/5, yes you will. Nothing short of a full rebuild of the entire Fulton St complex would've gotten rid of that. Remember, the bi-level Nassau Street platforms get in the way of any Lex-7th direct transfer passageway, Broad St-bound above, Williamsburg-bound below. Above both Nassau Street tracks is the street and below those tracks is the 8th Avenue tracks.

• Upvote 3

7455950026_4e4bed0708.jpg

That photo is of the wrong mezzanine - that's the west mezzanine, which has been open for months.

No it won't - the new transit 'house' won't straddle Nassau Street.

No it won't - the new transit 'house' won't straddle Nassau Street.

It dosen't have to, a new passageway can be built to connect the 4/5 and 2/3 near surface level....

It dosen't have to, a new passageway can be built to connect the 4/5 and 2/3 near surface level....

There's no room between the J/Z and the street - remember, the J/Z is on two levels.

There's no room between the J/Z and the street - remember, the J/Z is on two levels.

The building is on the block between Nassau and Broadway. It's possible...

The building is on the block between Nassau and Broadway. It's possible...

And the J/Z is directly under Nassau. How does the building help? The J/Z is directly below the street and directly above the A/C.

And the J/Z is directly under Nassau. How does the building help? The J/Z is directly below the street and directly above the A/C.

Skybridge? :P

OK, it's not possible, but the station will now be less of a maze...

I guess the only way to get around the A/C platform is if there's another passageway parallel to it somewhere. (John St. or anywhere in the block between John and Fulton. Is there a plan for such another passageway? Maybe something dropped from the original plans, which I think were supposed to make it easier to get past the J/Z?) Then, it could be under the J/Z.

I guess the only way to get around the A/C platform is if there's another passageway parallel to it somewhere. (John St. or anywhere in the block between John and Fulton. Is there a plan for such another passageway? Maybe something dropped from the original plans, which I think were supposed to make it easier to get past the J/Z?) Then, it could be under the J/Z.

No, there was never a parallel passageway in the plans. It would have been nice but pricey.

Guest Lance

The Dey Street passageway is only going to connect the Lexington Avenue platforms at Fulton St and Cortlandt St on Broadway.

The Dey Street passageway is only going to connect the Lexington Avenue platforms at Fulton St and Cortlandt St on Broadway.

Is the Dey St passageway going to be outside of fare control? I thought I heard so...If that's the case, then what is the point of it?