2012 NFL and NCAA Football Thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

We are less than 24 hours from the start of the NFL Preseason so it's time to open up the discussion for the 2012 football season. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? I am. We have a few weeks before the college season starts but that discussion should be in this thread so there aren't 2 different football threads going around.

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JW will soon be creating a NFL season thread on 4th of July lol. JW lives, sleeps and eats NFL 365 which alot of people in America also are doing these days.

Little off topic but related. Why did ESPN have send their sportscenter crews for the Jets and Broncos for opening of their traiining camps? And yet they have seemed to forget the rest of the NFL. And even the usual number of holdouts by star players during trainning camps seem much less due to new CBA.

However the head injury issue and the accused lack of properly paying former players could become the next major crisis for the league owners as hundreds of lawsuits are pending. We shall see.

To be honest I wasn't following the NFL Offseason outside of the big free agent moves and bountygate. I will say that there is hype surrounding the Jets and Broncos with the Tebow trade and Manning signing hence the Sportscenter coverage of training camp. I like other sports so I don't take in NFL news 24/7 but when the season comes I enjoy it a lot and will say it's my favorite sport.

While the 'gladitor' type culture and *cough*(gambling)*cough* :o:D are the primary reasons since the 1960's it been the most popular sport in US over baseball now in recent years another new reason even for only casual fans. The expolsion in popularity so has so called "Fanasty Leagues' as well. Proof of impact on fanasty leagues is how say a meaningless Browns-Bengals Monday Night game (it's huge in Ohio)shown on ESPN can now get more viewers than most NBA and MLB playoff games that a few years back would get crappy ratings in prime time.

Talking Micheal Phelps domanice.

Already it's starting? That means baseball is going to end soon.

No the summer pre season games. Personally due to the violent sport that is the NFL the pre season should only be 2-3 games. Plus a 17-game regular season as well. It adds '1' more extra game for the NFL Owners and their TV station partners without going to 18 games. The 17th game would games against regional rivals in other conference i.e Jets vs. Giants, Redskins vs. Ravens, Cowboys vs. Texans, Eagles vs Pats, Colts vs. Bears, Chiefs vs Cardinals(if they stay in St Louis lol) Lions vs Browns, etc.

The Summer Traiining camps is too long. They could come in around the 1st or 2nd week of August and not miss a beat. Also keep in mind the players stay in shape now year round. That in comprasion to as late as 25-30 years ago when many Veteran NFL players had part time jobs in the off season.

FYI. The Cardinals(Arizona) and Saints are playing in the HOF game as of this writing.

Boomer created some uproar when he said that Tebow should be cut. Is Esiason's evaluation of Tebow accurate?

Since Tebow is already here let him be the Backup QB. Sanchez should be the starter period and allowed at least 1/2 of the season to start. barring injuries and or having a crappy season just like in 2011 after say 8-10 games only. I agree with Boomer, that Tebow should never be on the Jets but he here already so might as well keep him.

just for the record, since this thread also talks about NCAA football, I will shift my focus from Penn State to Temple and Rutgers

Oct 13th: Syracuse at Rutgers

Oct 20th: Rutgers at Temple

those games i am looking foward to...

The opening preseason games for many teams have come to an end today. The Packers vs Chargers matchup aired on ESPN and ended with a 21-13 score, although score doesn't matter in the preseason.

Other than the NFL Network and the local regional cable sports channels, why are so called Pre season (they really should be called warm up games)even shown on tv at all? Meaning ESPN, Fox and CBS?

Also why are close to full regular season prices even being charged. At least in MLB spring trainning games are charged close to the prices of AAA minor league games. Ditto for many Broadway plays in NYC when stars are not performed. (reduced prices) The same should apply NFL warm up games as well. Personally of the warm up season, I only watch a bit of the 3rd game(assuming team plays (4))since most of the regulars play at least 3 quarters in the game.

And back to topic. Micheal Vick got hurt in Thursday Night Eagles pratice game. This is why the so called pre season should be cut to 2-3 games instead of the current '4' games. And why Vegas even allow fans to bet on these games when many of the players on field will soon be back at their jobs as teachers/coaches, grocers, actors, etc.?

The opening preseason games for many teams have come to an end today. The Packers vs Chargers matchup aired on ESPN and ended with a 21-13 score, although score doesn't matter in the preseason.

I remember how in Indanapolis under Tony Dungy they almost never had a winning record in the preseason. We all knew how that worked out.

One year (2008, I think) the Lions went undefeated in the preseason and went 0-16 in the regular season.

I remember how in Indanapolis under Tony Dungy they almost never had a winning record in the preseason. We all knew how that worked out.

One year (2008, I think) the Lions went undefeated in the preseason and went 0-16 in the regular season.

Further proof NFL fans are suckers for even betting on these warm up games. Or paying full price at stadiums and watching on tv. These games should not be on Network TV espn, fox, and cbs. They on tv, because amazingly so called pre season NFL get better tv ratings now than most regular season MLB or NBA games.

The Prince is gettin beat

Up date: Amukumara with the fumble, Tuck with the recovery and Tynes had a Janikowski like kickoff.. all the way to the back of the endzone

Cool for you my friend, Wake me up on 9/5/12 on opening night and the raising of the super bowl championship banner for Big Blue. Until then my sports focus will be on MLB and last few days of the olympics.

17-6 loss is not looking good...

VWM why worry? Most important thing in these warm up games is for your team's best players not to get hurt. Too many times a star QB or say linebacker/defensive end getting a season ending injury and a playoff contender ends up winning only 3-4 games.

So the NCAA Football preseason rankings are in (USA Today and AP).... LSU is #1 in the USA Today poll and USC claims the #1 spot in the AP. Why on earth is a program that was banned from 2 postseasons #1 right after? I see way too much USC favortism with these rankings. Call me in Week 7 when the first BCS Standings are released.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

DJ Ware has absolutely no yards and also allowed a block punt... inching closer and closer to unemployment, son.

Wayne Hunter is still a revolving door. Don't know what the Jets are thinking keeping this idiot around. You might as well put a house of cards there instead...

Archived