Old Westchester Bus Map (From 1987?)

I have a Bee Line bus map that looks like it's from 1987. On the back when it talks about the Passport and Golden Passport, it shows a pass saying "Jan 87", so I assume the map is from that year. The fare back then was $0.90, with transfers costing $0.10, and Passports costing $32 (Golden Passports cost $120 and let you ride the BxM4C & BxM4D routes)

In any case, I'd like to point out some interesting service patterns. (I can't open PDF files, so I can't tell if some of these patterns are still around today).

* There was an "L" loop around Larchmont

* There was a #24 bus that started at 238th Street & WPR, then went across McClean Avenue, had a stint on the NYS Thruway, made its way over to Yonkers Avenue, and continued to the Yonkers RR station

* There was a #33 bus that started at the Cross-County Shopping Center, took Kimball to Pondfield, went up White Plains Post Road, and then went up Mill Road/California Road and ended at White Plains Post Road.

* There was a #37 that started at Hartsdale, passed through White Plains, and then ended up by Garretson Road.

* There was a #69 loop that went from White Plains to Ridgeway.

* The #15 continued from White Plains to Cross Westchester Corporate Park (it went across Bryant Avenue)

* The #5 had an extension to Playland

* The #9 went up Morsemere Avenue and ended by Bolmer Avenue

* There was a "G" shuttle from Hartsdale to Elmsford

* There was an "A" loop which was basically a #39 extension over the #66 route to Dobbs Ferry

* The #66 terminated at Irvington

* The TOR #59 went to White Plains instead of the TZX

* The 1T went across Route 117 to Pleasantville

* The #11 went east along Route 119, up I-684, and then went across Route 172, 133 (though Mount

Kisco), 118, and 202 to Peekskill

* The #12 went up to Jefferson Valley Mall

* The #19 had a summer extension to Caramoor Galleries & Festival, passing John Jay Homestead

* There was a "V" express bus route operated by Vanguard Division of Mountainview that started in North Salem, went down Route 121, 124, and 22, and then got on I-684 in Armonk, and then took I-287 to I-87.

* There was an "M" express bus route that looks kind of weird. It looks like it has a branch that tarted in Mahopac, went down Route 6 to Old Yorktown Road, and then continued down Saw Mill River Road, Somerstown Turnpike, and back to Saw Mill River Road. There was a second branch that went to Croton Falls via Somerstown Turnpike, Somers Road, and Tomahawk Street (It looks like it had a branch that went past the JVM, and another one that went straight to Saw Mill River Road)

* The BxM4D started at Reid Place in North Tarrytown, went down Broadway, across Ashford Avenue, down Saw Mill River Road, across Tuckahoe Road, and then joined the BxM4C.

* There was a #84 that started at White Plains, went across Route 119, went up I-684, and then took Route 138 to Route 100, passing by Croton Falls. It says it continued to Brewster & Mahopac, and then on the western side of the map, it shows it terminating by the Baldwin Place Shopping Center (so it probably took Route 6 between Brewster & Mahopac).

I wish I had a working scanner so I could show it to you guys. :(

Thats a pretty interesting routing list. TOR 59 from Suffern(if thats where it use to also go) to White Plains? Now that has to be much longer, time wise. Routing, ehh..... the W14 and W15 is longer then that.

For the 66 to Irvington, it would be nice to see that head there, at least to give those folks along US Route 9 another option to service. Since the 1T (Tarrytown) doesn't run on Weekends. But then again, depends on ridership, which seems light for the 1T passing as I've been thru.

For the map to be scanned, if you REALLY want to show it off, you could head to like a Staples Copy & Print Center around the city, it should be a few cents for just a single print or something. If not, then you can always wait till you get your own scanner and/or camera.

I wouldn't advice cell phone at times, since quality may not be at its best. (Depending on phone model).

Mark it true the #59 weekdays only did run between Suffern and White Plains before the TZX line and even the Palasides Center Mall did. I don't think the #59 stopped at the Tarrytown MNRR station during that era.

The TZX line (I dont call it an 'express") was mainly created since the #59 would get delayed on the bridge i.e bus bunching issues and also serve Westchester riders going to the Palasides.

Also keep in mind. 1)The Corlandt Town Center was not yet bulit thus the Big mall in Peekskill area at time the #14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 all terminated/served the Beach Shopping Center(current "Stop and Shop") on Route 6 about 3/4 to 1 mile away. 2)The #84 actually ran to the Putnam/Ducthess County border on I-84.

Well up to 2010 the 12 went to Jefferson Valley Mall, sp that isn't new to me,

The BxM4D sounds pretty wierd to me. I would like to see pics.

The BXM4D was basically just a 'subbranch' of the BXM4c White Plains-Yonkers-Midtown via Central Ave (current BL 20/21) routing. I dont remember the "4d' exact routing as it's westchester terminal was in the Westchester Medical Center area. However i know it used the NY Thruway aka I-87 in the Yonkers area. I think it ran rush hours only and was gone by the mid 1990's due to low ridership.

Anyone think the BxM4C should get renumbeted to BxM5. Because I dont like the number

I agree. Even wrote a letter to Bee Line management about 2 years ago. Also suggested changing the name of the 1 branches (at least the so called '1c) to the "99" since it travels mostly via US Route 9/9a to the Westchester Medical Center area.

They declined saying it would "confuse" long time riders.

* There was a "G" shuttle from Hartsdale to Elmsford

I'd just like to add that it looks like it somehow continued from Elmsford to North White Plains. Also, the 1C went to Pleasantville.

Also, there was no #77 route.

The BXM4D was basically just a 'subbranch' of the BXM4c White Plains-Yonkers-Midtown via Central Ave (current BL 20/21) routing. I dont remember the "4d' exact routing as it's westchester terminal was in the Westchester Medical Center area. However i know it used the NY Thruway aka I-87 in the Yonkers area. I think it ran rush hours only and was gone by the mid 1990's due to low ridership.

See below:

* The BxM4D started at Reid Place in North Tarrytown, went down Broadway, across Ashford Avenue, down Saw Mill River Road, across Tuckahoe Road, and then joined the BxM4C.

I agree. Even wrote a letter to Bee Line management about 2 years ago. Also suggested changing the name of the 1 branches (at least the so called '1c) to the "99" since it travels mostly via US Route 9/9a to the Westchester Medical Center area.

They declined saying it would "confuse" long time riders.

I could see the logic there. I mean, basically all the #1 buses use Broadway going north of Yonkers. It just happens to be a really long branch of the route (the part where it deviates from the main #1 line).

For the map to be scanned, if you REALLY want to show it off, you could head to like a Staples Copy & Print Center around the city, it should be a few cents for just a single print or something. If not, then you can always wait till you get your own scanner and/or camera.

I wouldn't advice cell phone at times, since quality may not be at its best. (Depending on phone model).

I'll think about it. I have a scanner, but I don't know if it's working. I'll have to see if something's not plugged in or something like that (I mean, it's connected to the computer and it's plugged into the outlet, so I don't see the problem). Maybe I can borrow one from a friend or something.

For the scanners at Staples, how do you send the images to your home computer? :wacko:

Checkmate it funny you showed us the 1987 Westchester (beeline)old system map. It was around 1987 that summer i would for first time as 14 year old kid(I turned 15 that Sept. lol)i was allowed to bus/rail fan by myself that far for 1st time. I would usually go to Downtown White Plains or Cross County Mall by taking the (4) to Woodlawn and then the #20 towards White Plains.

After that couple of times a year in high school i would travelfan between white plains/yonkers and Brooklyn (used to live there)on that combo or also using the #60 to the subway usually the (D) or (4) to/from 'home' then in Brooklyn. So i remember the mostly RTS fleet the Bee line had back then.

Checkmate it funny you showed us the 1987 Westchester (beeline)old system map. It was around 1987 that summer i would for first time as 14 year old kid(I turned 15 that Sept. lol)i was allowed to bus/rail fan by myself that far for 1st time. I would usually go to Downtown White Plains or Cross County Mall by taking the (4) to Woodlawn and then the #20 towards White Plains.

After that couple of times a year in high school i would travelfan between white plains/yonkers and Brooklyn (used to live there)on that combo or also using the #60 to the subway usually the (D) or (4) to/from 'home' then in Brooklyn. So i remember the mostly RTS fleet the Bee line had back then.

Did you take any photos? :)

Did you take any photos? :)

Actually did even though i am only a casual photographer lol. However sadly since i moved alot in last 8 years or so, they got lost. Matter of fact everything from old 1970's/80's old ()' /> and NYC area transit pixs to old sports cards(it would be worth thousands if my cat did not piee on them lol)so sorry goji.

Actually did even though i am only a casual photographer lol. However sadly since i moved alot in last 8 years or so, they got lost. Matter of fact everything from old 1970's/80's old ()' /> and NYC area transit pixs to old sports cards(it would be worth thousands if my cat did not piee on them lol)so sorry goji.

That's unfortunate.

Now that I notice dadbo46 lurks on this forum, maybe he can speak of some of those changes..... he would post quite a bit about bee line topics on RD in the past.... anyway:

- I still say the #12 should run up to Jefferson Valley Mall.... that change was recent.... dam cuttin it back to some armonk.....

- loop around larchmont.... don't know about an 'L' loop around it, but there is currently a route that am/pm loop running to/from the RR station over there..... can you describe the loop on that map a little more?

- I can see why the 24 didn't last....

- The 5 went to playland? damn.....

Speaking of playland, do you see the 92 on that map ? (running from white plains to playland)

- Where did the 66 end in Irvington, at the RR sta?

- TOR 59 running to white plains was overkill..... to make an analogy, that would be like sending the B46 or the B44 to union square.....

far better idea to have the TzX run nonstop to White Plains from Rockland county (of the trips that don't run to tarrytown, or both tarrytown & white plains, that is).....

Now that I notice dadbo46 lurks on this forum, maybe he can speak of some of those changes..... he would post quite a bit about bee line topics on RD in the past.... anyway:

- I still say the #12 should run up to Jefferson Valley Mall.... that change was recent.... dam cuttin it back to some armonk.....

- loop around larchmont.... don't know about an 'L' loop around it, but there is currently a route that am/pm loop running to/from the RR station over there..... can you describe the loop on that map a little more?

- I can see why the 24 didn't last....

Speaking of playland, do you see the 92 on that map ? (running from white plains to playland)

- TOR 59 running to white plains was overkill..... to make an analogy, that would be like sending the B46 or the B44 to union square.....

far better idea to have the TzX run nonstop to White Plains from Rockland county (of the trips that don't run to tarrytown, or both tarrytown & white plains, that is).....

I agree with the 12 going back to Jefferson valley mall. Armonk is almost in the middle of nowhere. They should at least run it up there for coverage reasons. The 77 doesn't really help because most people going the Mall up there were from places from Armonk up. The 19 doesn't really help for service to Jefferson Valley Mall. Or a viable solution is to extend it there but I would go with The 12 back to the JVM.

Also checkmate was the 93 there, the Co-Op to Playland bus.

59 to White Plains. Now did it go via the expressway or did it make local stops in Westchester

Funny thing about the B44 to Union Square thing is that the B44 used to go to Manhattan

It looks like it might've been 2 routes (one north of the station, one south of it). The north one started at the station, went up Chatsworth and eventually made it up to Rockland Avenue, then came down across Palmer back to the station. The south loop went down Larchmont Avenue to Magnolia, back up Beach to Boston Post Road, and then back up Larchmont to the station. I don't know if it was like the #76 used to be in the Port Chester area (where it came up from the south, served the station, and then crossed over to the other side of the tracks and served a little bit of Port Chester. So in other words, one route serving both sides of Larchmont). Or if it was like the N62 where it's two seperate routes with the same designation.

The north loop was a one-way loop. It looks like the south one was two-way (It says it went eastbound on Magnolia, but westbound on Cedar), unless it operated in the opposite direction during both peaks (like the N57 does).

The highest route was the #84, so the #91, #92, and #93 to Playland didn't exist. The #5 just went to Playland Parkway and took it to the end.

The #66 ended at the RR station.

I agree with the 12 going back to Jefferson valley mall. Armonk is almost in the middle of nowhere. They should at least run it up there for coverage reasons. The 77 doesn't really help because most people going the Mall up there were from places from Armonk up. The 19 doesn't really help for service to Jefferson Valley Mall. Or a viable solution is to extend it there but I would go with The 12 back to the JVM.

Also checkmate was the 93 there, the Co-Op to Playland bus.

59 to White Plains. Now did it go via the expressway or did it make local stops in Westchester

Funny thing about the B44 to Union Square thing is that the B44 used to go to Manhattan

Well, at the very least, they could extend the #12 back to Mount Kisco. At least there, it provides connections to MNRR and a larger town center (though at least Armonk has some semblance of a downtown. I was expecting to look like somewhere in the Brookvilles on LI when I checked it on Google Maps), though obviously it isn't enough to sustain any real ridership base.

The #59 went nonstop on the Cross-Westchester Expressway to White Plains (no Tarrytown)

It looks like it might've been 2 routes (one north of the station, one south of it). The north one started at the station, went up Chatsworth and eventually made it up to Rockland Avenue, then came down across Palmer back to the station. The south loop went down Larchmont Avenue to Magnolia, back up Beach to Boston Post Road, and then back up Larchmont to the station. I don't know if it was like the #76 used to be in the Port Chester area (where it came up from the south, served the station, and then crossed over to the other side of the tracks and served a little bit of Port Chester. So in other words, one route serving both sides of Larchmont). Or if it was like the N62 where it's two seperate routes with the same designation.

The north loop was a one-way loop. It looks like the south one was two-way (It says it went eastbound on Magnolia, but westbound on Cedar), unless it operated in the opposite direction during both peaks (like the N57 does).

The highest route was the #84, so the #91, #92, and #93 to Playland didn't exist. The #5 just went to Playland Parkway and took it to the end.

The #66 ended at the RR station.

- Now that you described the loop, I just remembered there are (meaning, currently) two loop routes that serve larchmont.... there's a north loop & a south loop.... the south (shorter) loop is the one I been on once, the 71.... I think the other one is the 70, which takes on that routing you describe for the north half.....

So basically, they later broke it up into 2 routes.... never would have thought that was all one route back in the day....

- the playland expresses, I figured as such (they didn't exist), since you said the 5 went all the way down there.... just wanted to make sure though.....

- usually see a lot of elderly folks taking the 66.... it gets usage from the mercy college kids as well....

my cousin had classes out there, and I would ask her what buses run over there.... lol @ "you mean the buses with the bee on them", because the school has its own shuttle buses (which I didn't know)..... Anyway, I can see why they cut it back from irvington RR, since the school got the shuttles that run up to White Plains..... the 1t/1w usage gets weak b/w dobbs ferry & white plains rd (rt 119)....

Anyone think the BxM4C should get renumbeted to BxM5. Because I dont like the number

OR I would use WM4 or something with the WM#X (Westchester-Manhattan # eXpress). BxM doesn't even make sense, it doesn't make any stops in the Bronx, regardless of passing thru it. Unless there was a time the 4C did...

TZx so far is like a split. One from Suffern to/from White Plains and the other from Spring Valley to/from White Plains. Some trips via Tarrytown RR.

For the W5 to Playland. It is possible, especially since it would follow likely the W61 route and then via Playland Parkway.

I'll think about it. I have a scanner, but I don't know if it's working. I'll have to see if something's not plugged in or something like that (I mean, it's connected to the computer and it's plugged into the outlet, so I don't see the problem). Maybe I can borrow one from a friend or something.

For the scanners at Staples, how do you send the images to your home computer? :wacko:

There should be an option to ether email it to you or put it on a removalable drive.

TZx so far is like a split. One from Suffern to/from White Plains and the other from Spring Valley to/from White Plains. Some trips via Tarrytown RR.

ugh, to be honest, I don't care much for the TzX trips to/via Tarrytown.... the main road it takes is in Tarrytown is almost always congested, and buses (the BL-13 included) have a time making turns in the area....

I don't think I ever rode the full route from Suffern to White Plains.... I usually take the TzX b/w Palisades & White Plains (like most ppl)....

ugh, to be honest, I don't care much for the TzX trips to/via Tarrytown.... the main road it takes is in Tarrytown is almost always congested, and buses (the BL-13 included) have a time making turns in the area....

I don't think I ever rode the full route from Suffern to White Plains.... I usually take the TzX b/w Palisades & White Plains (like most ppl)....

I agree with you on Tarrytown. Main Street and US Route 9 always deals with some traffic. Main Street isn't even that big to fit much traffic, except like 2 lanes open for it; rest is parking.

I've done the White Plains to Suffern lots of times. Its a pretty sweet ride. Sometimes you would get a Coach USA Bus instead. For heading back to White Plains, surely I start out of Palisades after leaving Suffern/Spring Valley. The only crap is the time you go to/from West and East of Hudson. I287 is always packed in Westchester.

Sundays there is no TZx service. But the 59 and some other TOR routes will run. I'm curious if they should allow Sunday service on the TZx OR push the 59 bus to at least end at Tarrytown for the day for connecting W13 service. Otherwise these people would need a car to drive/get on, while some would need to wait till when ever they add a Ped bridge to the New Tappen Zee.

BxM4C (W28) did stop at 138 St at one time.

Pick up only north/south drop off or? And when was this discontinued?

610-2.jpg

Good times man... good times

(Note- NOT My Picture !!!!)

I agree with you on Tarrytown. Main Street and US Route 9 always deals with some traffic. Main Street isn't even that big to fit much traffic, except like 2 lanes open for it; rest is parking.

I've done the White Plains to Suffern lots of times. Its a pretty sweet ride. Sometimes you would get a Coach USA Bus instead. For heading back to White Plains, surely I start out of Palisades after leaving Suffern/Spring Valley. The only crap is the time you go to/from West and East of Hudson. I287 is always packed in Westchester.

Sundays there is no TZx service. But the 59 and some other TOR routes will run. I'm curious if they should allow Sunday service on the TZx OR push the 59 bus to at least end at Tarrytown for the day for connecting W13 service. Otherwise these people would need a car to drive/get on, while some would need to wait till when ever they add a Ped bridge to the New Tappen Zee.

So THAT's what those Coach USA buses are..... Thanks a grip !

When I would wait in lane E for the BL-14 or 15, sometimes I would see a coach USA bus pull in..... I never could quite figure out what they were.... When I first noticed them stopping inside the transcenter, I thought they were the long distance buses heading upstate..... but those buses stop across the street from the transcenter as you're walking towards the RR station.....

When I ride from palisades to white plains, we breeze through 287... then again, I would mainly take the TzX on saturdays, so the traffic isn't near as bad as on the weekday.... the worst part of the ride would always be the looping to serve Tarrytown RR..... with there being no service on sundays, that's why I refrain from heading up to Rockland county..... service out of spring valley RR aint all that great either, and I aint tryna get stuck up there.....

I wonder how many people would actually walk along the tappan zee bridge if they ever did that.....

610-2.jpg

Good times man... good times

(Note- NOT My Picture !!!!)

So THAT's what those Coach USA buses are..... Thanks a grip !

When I would wait in lane E for the BL-14 or 15, sometimes I would see a coach USA bus pull in..... I never could quite figure out what they were.... When I first noticed them stopping inside the transcenter, I thought they were the long distance buses heading upstate..... but those buses stop across the street from the transcenter as you're walking towards the RR station.....

When I ride from palisades to white plains, we breeze through 287... then again, I would mainly take the TzX on saturdays, so the traffic isn't near as bad as on the weekday.... the worst part of the ride would always be the looping to serve Tarrytown RR..... with there being no service on sundays, that's why I refrain from heading up to Rockland county..... service out of spring valley RR aint all that great either, and I aint tryna get stuck up there.....

I wonder how many people would actually walk along the tappan zee bridge if they ever did that.....

NP man! Yep CoachUSA has a contract with TOR for TZx service. I was wondering before too, until i notice the timetable saying CoachUSA. Only got a single ride non-stop White Plains to Suffern (via Nyak). Only Weekdays you will get CoachUSA.

http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/PublicTrans/schedules/TZX_Complete.pdf

If you wanna avoid the via Tarrytown RR route, may as well get a route that will skip it.

All the other Coach Buses over there would be the ones heading to Poughkeepsie, Orange County and CT. (Still gotta ride em someday, except CT iBus, which I've done).

For walking the Tappen Zee. I think I MIGHT just do that and/or bike it (when opens) l0lz. I've walked long bridges. So far the GWB is the longest I've done. Could of sworn when i walked Bayonne it was long, but nah, Williamsburg is slightly longer then that.

Archived