Old Westchester Bus Map (From 1987?)

I always thought the TZX weekdays should separte the White Plains and Tarrytown buses. If it were up to me this is what i do.

TZX1 Tarrytown and Spring Valley/Palasides via Nyack. Local Hourly and every 20 minutes rush hours.

TZX2 White Plains and Suffern via Palasides weekdays appx. 530am-8pm. Every 90 minutes Middays and every 30 Minutes peak Direction(To Westchester AM and To Rockland PM)and every 60 minutes off peak direction.

Existing TZX service between Spring Valley/Palsides Center and White Plains via Tarrytown.

Weekday Evenings and all day Saturdays. IMO it should bypass Downtown Nyack.

I always thought the TZX weekdays should separte the White Plains and Tarrytown buses. If it were up to me this is what i do.

TZX1 Tarrytown and Spring Valley/Palasides via Nyack. Local Hourly and every 20 minutes rush hours.

TZX2 White Plains and Suffern via Palasides weekdays appx. 530am-8pm. Every 90 minutes Middays and every 30 Minutes peak Direction(To Westchester AM and To Rockland PM)and every 60 minutes off peak direction.

Existing TZX service between Spring Valley/Palsides Center and White Plains via Tarrytown.

Also don't forget to run TZX on Sundays as well!

610-2.jpg

Good times man... good times

(Note- NOT My Picture !!!!)

So THAT's what those Coach USA buses are..... Thanks a grip !

When I would wait in lane E for the BL-14 or 15, sometimes I would see a coach USA bus pull in..... I never could quite figure out what they were.... When I first noticed them stopping inside the transcenter, I thought they were the long distance buses heading upstate..... but those buses stop across the street from the transcenter as you're walking towards the RR station.....

When I ride from palisades to white plains, we breeze through 287... then again, I would mainly take the TzX on saturdays, so the traffic isn't near as bad as on the weekday.... the worst part of the ride would always be the looping to serve Tarrytown RR..... with there being no service on sundays, that's why I refrain from heading up to Rockland county..... service out of spring valley RR aint all that great either, and I aint tryna get stuck up there.....

I wonder how many people would actually walk along the tappan zee bridge if they ever did that.....

Well Armonk is a ridicolous place for a bus to terminate. It's bascially houses, a church, and several business, like 8 or 9. Jefferson Valley was a huge ridership generator back in those days. I do miss the 12 signage to Jefferson Valley

I would've loved to see that on an O7 they have over there

I wouldn't Bypass Nyack. Maybe select trips, since there are people who get on/off the bus at times.

And Yes Sunday service too. Or Have the 59 extend to Tarrytown and connect with the W13.

I wouldn't Bypass Nyack. Maybe select trips, since there are people who get on/off the bus at times.

And Yes Sunday service too. Or Have the 59 extend to Tarrytown and connect with the W13.

Actually on some trips rush hours and last 2 trips weekday evenings to Westchester the TZX already bypasses Nyack.

In my plan the local Spring Valley-Tarrytown bus still serves Nyack weekday. Ditto for weekend TZX on existing services. Only change is the all Suffern buses bypasses Nyack weekdays.

I don't know enough about the actual ridership habits of the TzX overall, so I can't comment on if the route should be split or not.....

All the other Coach Buses over there would be the ones heading to Poughkeepsie, Orange County and CT.

(Still gotta ride em someday, except CT iBus, which I've done).

For walking the Tappen Zee. I think I MIGHT just do that and/or bike it (when opens) l0lz. I've walked long bridges. So far the GWB is the longest I've done. Could of sworn when i walked Bayonne it was long, but nah, Williamsburg is slightly longer then that.

I used to like riding I-bus, but not near as much as I used to, since I discovered the "coastal link" bus route that runs b/w norwalk & ct post (mall).... nice 2 hr long ride; terminal inside the mall kinda sucks though.... Anyway, I remember having an exchange in the shoutbox w/ Shortline & BZGuy a couple weeks ago; I'd like to ride those upstate routes too.... But as I said then, I still don't know where I would go exactly.....

I can't see myself walking the Tappan Zee... not because of the length, but b/c of the two endpoints.... There'd be no reason I'd want to get off a BL-1t/1w or a BL-13 to get to that side of the bridge, and no reason I'd want to walk w/i Nyack (no way am I walking from nyack to palisades mall... aint tryna get hit)..... The Williamsburg, I just walked this past saturday - it is deceptively long..... walked over the manhattan bridge today coming home..... the Bayonne I never walked (yet).....

Well Armonk is a ridicolous place for a bus to terminate. It's bascially houses, a church, and several business, like 8 or 9. Jefferson Valley was a huge ridership generator back in those days. I do miss the 12 signage to Jefferson Valley

I would've loved to see that on an O7 they have over there

heh, you don't have to preach to me.... I took the shortened 12 from end to end (just to see what getting off in Armonk is like) & doubled back to WP - and never again..... When fanning, it irks me to have to double back on the (same) route......

When I posted that pic, oh I wasn't alluding to the signage itself.... lol

DAMN is armonk that empty? Shortline you have good ideas but I don't like the TZX1 it is easier to split 91 & let eastern line become a new line and extend to tarrytown. Then eliminate tarrytown from most TZX trips except trips that originate there.

Sorry but does suffern even warrant a service boost? suffern well is a bit err dead ya know even at some rush hr times. Or extend 59 outside rush hr to tarrytown. Just sayin

Actually have a old 80s beeline map and since I'm spending the week at my mom's, I just tried looking for it to snap a few pics. Haven't found it yet but I found a whole lot of other goodies! Old maps, brochures and transfers! Yes I took pics and yes, I'm about to post them in a new thread. Some date back to the 80s

Hi guys. After 37 years with the Westchester DOT, I am now retired.

Here's my comments re> the 1987 system map:

I have a Bee Line bus map that looks like it's from 1987. On the back when it talks about the Passport and Golden Passport, it shows a pass saying "Jan 87", so I assume the map is from that year. The fare back then was $0.90, with transfers costing $0.10, and Passports costing $32 (Golden Passports cost $120 and let you ride the BxM4C & BxM4D routes)

In any case, I'd like to point out some interesting service patterns. (I can't open PDF files, so I can't tell if some of these patterns are still around today).

* There was an "L" loop around Larchmont There was an L1 abd L2. There are now the 70 and 71. They were part of what was then called Personalized Local Transportation or PLT.

* There was a #24 bus that started at 238th Street & WPR, then went across McClean Avenue, had a stint on the NYS Thruway, made its way

over to Yonkers Avenue, and continued to the Yonkers RR station. That was the Loring Ave. bus. Only ran a couple of trips in the AM and a couple in the PM. Never ran on the Thruway. Operated on CPA.

* There was a #33 bus that started at the Cross-County Shopping Center, took Kimball to Pondfield, went up White Plains Post Road, and then went up Mill Road/California Road and ended at White Plains Post Road. Operated by Bronxville Bus Lines. Poor ridership.

* There was a #37 that started at Hartsdale, passed through White Plains, and then ended up by Garretson Road. The bus to nowhere operated by Victoria Bus Lines.

* There was a #69 loop that went from White Plains to Ridgeway. Weekday rush hour service operated by White Plains Bus.

* The #15 continued from White Plains to Cross Westchester Corporate Park (it went across Bryant Avenue) Pre-shuttle network.

* The #5 had an extension to Playland. Pre route 92 summers only.

* The #9 went up Morsemere Avenue and ended by Bolmer Avenue The current 9 is a modification of this routing.

* There was a "G" shuttle from Hartsdale to Elmsford. Not Elmsford but Greenburgh. There were several branches of the G. Was previously known as The Greenburgh Buddy bus.

* There was an "A" loop which was basically a #39 extension over the #66 route to Dobbs Ferry. Correct

* The #66 terminated at Irvington. At the RR Station.

* The TOR #59 went to White Plains instead of the TZX

* The 1T went across Route 117 to Pleasantville. Served Phelps Hospital.

* The #11 went east along Route 119, up I-684, and then went across Route 172, 133 (though Mount

Kisco), 118, and 202 to Peekskill There have been several variations of the 11 over the years.

* The #12 went up to Jefferson Valley Mall. Yep

* The #19 had a summer extension to Caramoor Galleries & Festival, passing John Jay Homestead Certain evenings for the concerts during the summer only.

* There was a "V" express bus route operated by Vanguard Division of Mountainview that started in North Salem, went down Route 121, 124, and 22, and then got on I-684 in Armonk, and then took I-287 to I-87. Not associated with the Bee-Line.

* There was an "M" express bus route that looks kind of weird. It looks like it has a branch that tarted in Mahopac, went down Route 6 to Old Yorktown Road, and then continued down Saw Mill River Road, Somerstown Turnpike, and back to Saw Mill River Road. There was a second branch that went to Croton Falls via Somerstown Turnpike, Somers Road, and Tomahawk Street (It looks like it had a branch that went past the JVM, and another one that went straight to Saw Mill River Road) Isn't it a "W" for Walters. This route was started as a replacement to the Putnam Railroad which ran in Westchester and Putnam counties.

* The BxM4D started at Reid Place in North Tarrytown, went down Broadway, across Ashford Avenue, down Saw Mill River Road, across Tuckahoe Road, and then joined the BxM4C. A branch of the 4C. It originated on Broadway (US Route 9) at Gordon Ave. in Sleepy Hollow.

* There was a #84 that started at White Plains, went across Route 119, went up I-684, and then took Route 138 to Route 100, passing by Croton Falls. It says it continued to Brewster & Mahopac, and then on the western side of the map, it shows it terminating by the Baldwin Place Shopping Center (so it probably took Route 6 between Brewster & Mahopac). Several variations to this route including originating at I-84 and exit 17.

I wish I had a working scanner so I could show it to you guys. :(

I'd like to add that there was a branch of the #12 that went across Route 6, served the Baldwin Place Shopping Center (which was also the terminal for the #84), and then went down Tomahawk Street to Lincolndale Road.

Correct. That was when the #12 buses (Mt. Kisco Bus Lines) were garaged about half way down Mahopac Ave. BTW - Tomahawk St. aka New York State route 118 and Lincolndale Rd, is NYS route 202.

Archived