The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

Ok Champ! You the reporter for us Amtrak7, please post asap lol as you as you can *confirm them.* :D

Now replies in red.

No, I don't have the list, Shortline. I'll get it Thursday evening or Friday afternoon. :P

In my opinion...

1) Service cuts that definitely should be restored

• B64 Coney Island-Agree 100%.
  • B4 Sheepshead Bay-No brainer.
  • B24 weekend-Agree. I would only run it between the Greenpoint Ave (G) station and Queens Blvd/46th St though on weekends. With that said, the B24 needs a total make-up but that for another chat.
  • Q79 rush hours-It should be all day weekdays or not at all. With that said either a restored Q79 or extend either the Q30 or Q12.
  • M21 weekend (or M8, p)-No doubt the M8 since it serves the heart of NYU.
  • M6-Agree. However I dont think the M6 is returning at least in it's pre-2010 we all knowick one.
  • X90, X29-"NO" to X29. B35 in another post mentioned most former X29 riders went to either the BM3/4 or the (B)(Q) and (F) subways. And X90 if returns should be IMO a Limited along York and then express via FDR to/from Lower Manhattan.

2) Service cuts that definitely should NOT be restored

• M1 weekends April-November-Disagree. Just run the "M1" between Penn Sta. and 148th/Lenox with 15-20 minutes headways most of the day. 30 Minutes late evenings.
  • X25, X51, X20-The X25 was the lowest NYCT used bus line express or local. So what the MTA is going to do here lol? On the X51 it only returns as a merged route with one of the QM lines.
  • B77/B75 (add buses to the B61/B57, don't split) Instead new idea. I would run the B77 along it's old route between 4th Ave/9th St and then via the Battery Tunnel to South Ferry. With the B57 it should be cut back to Columbia/Atlantic "B61" terminal. I would instead extend the B65 to 4th Ave/9th St via current B57 extension via Court/Smith Sts. B65 is much shorter.

replies in red.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys it wont be revelaed until next week at the next monthly (MTA) meeting will the list come out with specific list. I am sure "Mr insider" amtrak7 already has that list. It expected to be approved in August for a late year/early 2013 start ie. restored services, etc.

Actually, don't they usually do these types of things at the quarterly meetings (September, December, March, June)?

Via, as for your thing about people moving to an area and not using cheap transit, I told you before that not everybody has a choice to live there. Children who grow up in the area did not telepath to their parents that they wanted to live in these neighborhoods when they were egg cells/embryos/fetuses. Additionally, cheap transit takes you to a lot more places of interest than luxury transit and not everybody can afford luxury transit just because they live in affluent areas. Cheap transit is also infinitely more economical and provides more flexibility than luxury transit (especially EXP buses) thanks to the unlimited metrocard.

Aside from that, it's not like every single person in the area is "affluent". I mean, he said you see a lot of apartments going for $1,400 a month, which while it's a lot, it's not like you have to be super-rich to afford that. People usually suggest 40 times your monthly income (ah, how I love stats), which means you could live there on a $56,000 salary. The median income in NYC is something like $51,000, so it's not like everybody there is loaded with dough. Aside from that, you could have kids living with their parents and just starting out and trying to save up some money.

But just one thing: They do have unlimited express passes, and those are valid on the subway & local bus.

As for the Bx20, the (A) and (1) serve two different areas even if you want to say that they parallel each other and that's what you're overlooking. They're also separated geographically at certain points in Upper Manhattan. Once they go their ways north of 168th street, they're certainly serving two distinct sections of Manhattan and the (A) is a bit faster once you get to 125th street, going express until 59th street.

I am not overlooking isht. I actually lived there for 20 years and closely observed transit there, so I know what is going on.

Geographic separation indeed. Getting off the IRT at 181/St. Nich and walking across 181 to Bennett/Ft. Wash/whatever is much faster than waiting for some damn gamble bus running like crap, damn near every half hour even before the cuts (Bx20) to go to the IND and save four measly minutes of walking. 190/191 constitute the ONLY PAIR of IND/IRT stops (respectively) that are really geographically separated in that area. And there is also the option of transferring to the Bx7.

Express service a bit faster? Man, you should be stand-up comedian with this stuff. This is like telling me that I should use the BMT instead of the IRT to get from Atlantic to Union Square because the BMT makes fewer stops even though the BMT trains travel quite slowly over the Manny-B while IRT trains fly through the tunnels. (At worst, the difference is only like 5 minutes anyway and this is canceled out by the fact that the IRT is more frequent anyway.) With the IRT/IND at the other end of the city, you can just transfer from the (1) to the (2)(3) at 96 if you want express service, and the IRT basically gives you just as quick an EXP run as the IND despite a couple more stops, because the (A) has to deal with an ishload of timers on CPW and there can be merging delays since it has to merge with the (D)! So before you can even mention the bit about the (A) making zero stops between 125 and 59 while the (2)(3) make two between 96 and 42, remember that the number of stops only means so much while timers, merging delays, route geometry, and many other objects also make a difference.

Actually, don't they usually do these types of things at the quarterly meetings (September, December, March, June)?

Quarterly meetings? What are you talking about? Operating committees meet every month, except for August.

Well I'm sorry, but if they want cheap transit then they shouldn't have moved to upstairs Riverdale and that's not to be snobby. Upstairs Riverdale was not meant to be reached quickly with cheap transit and that's just the way it is. If folks want cheap transit in Riverdale, then you move along the Broadway corridor and not only do you get cheap transit, but cheaper rents and mortgages too, since that area of Riverdale is not nearly as desirable as upstairs Riverdale, nor nearly as affluent. Does it take away from upstairs Riverdale? To a degree yes, but for those who want more green, more space and an escape from Manhattan, along with the escape from the high Manhattan prices, Riverdale is a great alternative. Our luxury transportation continues to grow (express buses and MetroNorth usage) so we're not exactly in dire need of folks moving to the area looking for "cheap transit". We're doing just fine with our luxury transportation.

The one problem with your beefing up of the Bx7 and Bx10 is that neither serve the (A) train station via the Henry Hudson Parkway, so it would require an additional transfer which is one main thing folks complained about when the Bx20 was proposed to be cut.

Alright. Y'all can keep your luxury transit and smoke it in your Royal Danish cigars while not doing anything about cheap transit then. Not me. :)

Oh, and you say all this about "not looking for cheap transit" after YOU protested when I said the Bx20, which is cheap transit and in a sense is actually cheaper than cheap since with that line you are paying for a bus that takes two years to show up, should be cut?

Again people fail to see the big picture when complaining about cutting a certain service when the service runs like crap and has anemic headways, and again you ain't missin' jack isht by not having a connection to the IND when as I said before they parallel each other all over the city. Rectifying the problems of the Bx10 (and 7 a bit) is more important than keeping an essentially useless IND connector that has erratic and anemic service.

I am done.

Express service a bit faster? Man, you should be stand-up comedian with this stuff. This is like telling me that I should use the BMT instead of the IRT to get from Atlantic to Union Square because the BMT makes fewer stops even though the BMT trains travel quite slowly over the Manny-B while IRT trains fly through the tunnels. (At worst, the difference is only like 5 minutes anyway and this is canceled out by the fact that the IRT is more frequent anyway.) With the IRT/IND at the other end of the city, you can just transfer from the (1) to the (2)(3) at 96 if you want express service, and the IRT basically gives you just as quick an EXP run as the IND despite a couple more stops, because the (A) has to deal with an ishload of timers on CPW and there can be merging delays since it has to merge with the (D)! So before you can even mention the bit about the (A) making zero stops between 125 and 59 while the (2)(3) make two between 96 and 42, remember that the number of stops only means so much while timers, merging delays, route geometry, and many other objects also make a difference.

(A) 168 St - 42 St: 18 minutes

(1) 168 St - 42 St: 22 minutes

(1) 168 St - 96 St, transfer to (2)(3) to 42 St: 19 minutes (and that's assuming a 0 minute wait for the (2)(3))

Oh, and by the way, the (Q) is two minutes faster than the (4)(5) from Atlantic Av to Union Sq.

I don't mean to turn this into a subway thread; I'm just wanting to respond to your claims.

I am not overlooking isht. I actually lived there for 20 years and closely observed transit there, so I know what is going on.

Geographic separation indeed. Getting off the IRT at 181/St. Nich and walking across 181 to Bennett/Ft. Wash/whatever is much faster than waiting for some damn gamble bus running like crap, damn near every half hour even before the cuts (Bx20) to go to the IND and save four measly minutes of walking. 190/191 constitute the ONLY PAIR of IND/IRT stops (respectively) that are really geographically separated in that area. And there is also the option of transferring to the Bx7.

Alright. Y'all can keep your luxury transit and smoke it in your Royal Danish cigars while not doing anything about cheap transit then. Not me. :)

Oh, and you say all this about "not looking for cheap transit" after YOU protested when I said the Bx20, which is cheap transit and in a sense is actually cheaper than cheap since with that line you are paying for a bus that takes two years to show up, should be cut?

Again people fail to see the big picture when complaining about cutting a certain service when the service runs like crap and has anemic headways, and again you ain't missin' jack isht by not having a connection to the IND when as I said before they parallel each other all over the city. Rectifying the problems of the Bx10 (and 7 a bit) is more important than keeping an essentially useless IND connector that has erratic and anemic service.

I am done.

LOL... I can't believe you're going on and on like this, as if I really care about the route being cut. I could care less. I don't use the local buses in Riverdale and have no need to because I simply walk anywhere I need to go in Riverdale or I'd just call car service if I didn't feel like walking. All I was trying to understand was how you would deal with providing coverage with the loss of the Bx20 and basically you think that folks who want the (A) and aren't near Riverdale Avenue should just transfer to the Bx7. Okay fine. Either way I really don't care that much to be defending the route. I just simply pointed out what other Riverdale residents argued when the route was up to be cut. The way I see it, if they can't afford MetroNorth or the express bus, well then that's their problem. I think it's ridiculous to make that many transfers anyway because let's say the Bx20 was eliminated and nothing was put in its place. That would require the Bx10 to the Bx7 to the (A) if one really wants the (A) and then any other transfers if needed. Even if they use the Bx10 and take the (1) and then transfer again at 96th street, that is still 3 transfers. In my case, working near Grand Central, I would have the option of the Bx7 or Bx10 to the subway (1) or (A) and a third transfer minimum depending on how close I wanted to get to my office. Simply not happening.

Oh and about the (A) train, I just said it was a tad faster, not like it was 20 minutes faster or anything, so you should really calm down. And yes 190th/191st was what I was really thinking of, not to mention the steep hills. Guess you forgot about those.

I said "I am done" but I sorta changed my mind.

Alright. I will cool off. My apologies Via. I did go off the deep end a bit.

Cross-platform transfers (no others, like those that you have to make when getting from Riverdale to GCT using cheap transit) are easy and add little time, especially in IRT land where trains are all on top of each other. I was only keeping it restricted to the IND and West Side IRT. East Side is different since it is obviously not easy to get to from Riverdale using cheap transit. I understand that.

190/191 is just one pair of parallel stops on both lines in all of Wash Hts, and yes, there, you have a point. I did not forget about them; I am just pointing out that that is the only pair of parallel train stations where you have this problem.

SubwayStation, I think the Lex is actually 5 minutes slower than the Broadway line in the most extreme non-emergency scenarios, but in any case you see my point.

As far as fixing local buses in Riverdale, alright if it is their problem if they need to use cheap transit. I still am not quite seeing eye-to-eye with you there simply because I believe in economizing as much as possible. No, if you want to get from Riverdale to GCT I do not disagree with you for using MNRR or the BxM1. Especially MNRR.

However, the fact that it is "their problem" does not mean the local buses in Riverdale should not be better. My opinion is that the situation would be better if they either cut the 20 and added service to the 10 (and 7 a bit) or kept the 20 and made it a super-limited outside of Riverdale. Right now it simply constitutes a useless IND connector (not to mention a bloody, lousy gamble bus) in my book and I say this as somebody who lived there for a long time and tried to use it to see if I would save time by taking it to the IND rather than just going to the IRT at 231 or 225 to go wherever.

You wanted to know how I would deal with coverage loss. My thing is that the coverage loss is negligible if Riverdale people do not have access to the (A) because the services that take you to the (A), in conjunction with that subway line, save little time compared to just taking any of those IND connectors (Bx7, 20) to 231/225 for the IRT or the Bx10 to the IRT. Essentially I look at the 20 and say, "coverage? What coverage?" So if the 20 is cut, I say "coverage loss? What coverage loss?"

If the 20 were a super-limited outside of Riverdale then I would have a problem with it being cut because THEN it would be effective and MTA would be cutting an effective IND connector and causing significant problems.

Dear Joe,

Can I get that B39 and M8 running again? Thanks.

Love,

MHV9218

LOL... if you really want to show your love to Joe, you can wait for him outside of the (MTA) building. :lol: I see him sometimes when I wait for the BxM18 at night. Very stern looking guy. He saw me waiting there and looked out of curiosity. Another guy that waits with me at the stop and works with Joe told him about the problems we were having at the stop and I wonder if he was thinking about that when he saw me.

When I was at the board meeting last month there was a city councilman in the seat in front of me. Joe came right up to him...a bit of a shocker since I've never seen him in person before that moment.

When I was at the board meeting last month there was a city councilman in the seat in front of me. Joe came right up to him...a bit of a shocker since I've never seen him in person before that moment.

Yeah I was shocked at how tall he is. He's like around my height. Stern but he looks like a straight forward type of guy. I remember walking on Madison to my office around the corner and seeing Lee Sander. I did a double take and said is that really him? He was walking with another guy back to the direction of the (MTA) building down the block. For all of the crap I talk about them, most of them seem like ordinary folks. I was in the elevator with one of them who is the board and he was chatting it up with one of the Transit advocates when I was there to speak last year. I should go more often seeing that I'm around the corner, but just too lazy I guess.

Speaking of which, I was looking for evidence of weekend M5 service and I instead found that the M7 had LTD service until 1993. That, IMO should be restored, as it would make both corridors it runs on much more reliable.

M7 should stick to local. With all the traffic on 6th/7th Avenue and Columbus Avenue, speed in service won't improve.

I don't see it getting that much use in Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil. Extending the M100 there would be extremely generous outside of rush hours, seeing how lightly used the Bx20s are and quite frankly, I don't see folks shopping at Target or any of those places down there in Kingsbridge. The overwhelming majority of Riverdalians either take the express bus to the city to shop or drive to up to Westchester. There is also no connection with Riverdale and Harlem or any other spots you mentioned. Folks generally want the Upper East Side or Upper West Side, hence the BxM1 and BxM2. If we really were clamoring for Harlem, we'd have stops in Harlem. Even for the hospital and doctor's appointments, folks use the express bus for NewYork-Presbyterian or other prestigious places on the Upper East Side. Co-op City for example does have a connection to Harlem with its strong black and Latino presence, so there's a BxM7 stop there accordingly.

How do you know people on the M100 wouldn't ride it to 225th Street? Frankly, the Bx7 gets the load heading southbound with transfers to ether the M5/M100 over at GWB. I even see people getting off at Isham Street / Broadway for M100 <> Bx7 transfer.

Besides, even if the M100 wouldn't pick up as many passengers in Riverdale/SD, it could be a replacement of the Bx20. If people still want access to the (A), (even tho the IRT is at 225th/231st, you can use the M100. Frankly, even other routes if they want.

Dear Joe,

Can I get that B39 and M8 running again? Thanks.

Love,

MHV9218

Maybe combine them into one?

Probably. ;)

The Q76 got back Saturday, and the Q31 weekend service was a waste of fuel, IMO...

The Q76 got back Saturday service when because I did not see any Q76 buses in the last couple of weeks in College Point or Jamaica. And I just got one of the Q76 schedules and it still had weekday only service.

The Q76 got back Saturday service when because I did not see any Q76 buses in the last couple of weeks in College Point or Jamaica. And I just got one of the Q76 schedules and it still had weekday only service.

I've seen Q76 buses on Saturdays in Jamaica in the past few weeks.

But you don't live here in Queens unlike me. I go to Jamaica to catch either the Q8 or Q112 to my friends house on Saturdays and I don't ever see a Q76. Maybe it was just a fool playing around with the sign. Ok so if I has weekend service why does it say on the MTA website from the July 1 schedule weekday only service.

I'm probably the only one who wants to see the M1 go back to South Ferry. I also think that the M8 needs to come back on the weekends. 8th St is crowded on the weekends and it needs the bus service. Also, the M104 is definately needed across 42nd St. It's a regular thing to see the M42 packed like a sardine can during the weekdays AND the weekends its definately needed. And it would be cool to see the M6 return too.

For the Bronx, the Bx34 needs to return on the weekends. That was one of the silliest cuts the (MTA) did. And as I said earlier, the Bx 26 and the Bx28 needs to return to their pre-2010 routes. I don't know how they would work with the Bx38 cause I could see that sticking around, but Co-op City needs to have service where it was before the cuts.

I'm probably the only one who wants to see the M1 go back to South Ferry. I also think that the M8 needs to come back on the weekends. 8th St is crowded on the weekends and it needs the bus service. Also, the M104 is definately needed across 42nd St. It's a regular thing to see the M42 packed like a sardine can during the weekdays AND the weekends its definately needed. And it would be cool to see the M6 return too.

For the Bronx, the Bx34 needs to return on the weekends. That was one of the silliest cuts the (MTA) did. And as I said earlier, the Bx 26 and the Bx28 needs to return to their pre-2010 routes. I don't know how they would work with the Bx38 cause I could see that sticking around, but Co-op City needs to have service where it was before the cuts.

Riders in Section 5 of Co-op City get their commutes increased by 15-20 minutes when the bus has to go through all sections. I like the situation the way it is now in Co-op City. Some routes serve all 5 Sections (Bx23, Bx30,Bx38, Q50) while the others serve sections 4 and 5 only (Bx26,Bx28).

Archived