The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

1. Taking the Bx20 to the IND rather than the Bx10/Bx20 to the IRT to go wherever saves little to no time (and actually takes longer in many cases) because the IRT and IND parallel each other from one end of Manhattan to the other.

If, on the other hand, they had the Bx20 run local in Riverdale but nonstop via 230 (not freaking 231 for crying out loud) and then Broadway and it only stopped at 225, Isham, and 207, then there would be a reason for it to continue existing as it would be worth riding to the IND and would still allow people to get to the Bx12, although unfortunately there does not seem to be enough of a demand for the connection to the latter to be improved by increasing Bx20 service frequency. If they do not do this nonstop operation, straight to Hell with this line.

2. The Bx12 is the only bus anybody in Riverdale really needs to reach or wants to reach but cannot be reached using the Bx10 and can be reached using the Bx20.

3. Other than the Bx12, there are no buses anybody from Riverdale needs to reach using the Bx20.

4. Because of all this, nobody would be paying an extra fare to get where they need to go if the Bx20 were completely discontinued, unless they wanted the Bx12 or the IND. But the IND is 99% useless for Riverdale people because it is faster to just take the IRT and the IND looks even more useless here since the Bx20 transfers to the IRT BEFORE IT EVEN TRANSFERS TO THE IND.

5. Yes, If they killed the Bx20 and extended the M100 that would be good too. Only problem is that it might KO the M100's adherence to schedule (whatever is left of it anyway).

By the way just because I said the IND looks even more useless does not mean that my comments are based on perception in any way whatsoever. I actually timed this stuff and could easily time or calculate it again.

In any case the only way the Bx20 should stay is if they do the nonstop operation I described and they run no fewer than 5 to 6 BPH rush hours and 4 BPH off-hours, except from about 20:00 to 06:00 or so. If not, I call MTA fail, Bronx fail, bus fail, Riverdale fail, Bx7 fail, Bx10 fail, Bx20 fail, and whatever other fails you want to throw in there.

Well for all of your points, there are some that need access to the (A) train, and that's really what it comes down to. The M100 was cut back because of it being unreliable so restoring that would just create another headache. For as infrequent as the Bx20 comes, I do see some folks using it along the Henry Hudson Parkway.

M104: Return to U.N. As I've said many times already but tnere has to be something to assist the M42 heading towards the U.N. With the increased buching & infrequency (mainly speaking for Rush Hours).

Not only that but that bus is needed to give folks access from the Upper West Side/Columbus Circle area to the East Side. It is so annoying to have to get off and transfer to the M42 at Times Square because the M42 seems to be back to its old ways again of coming whenever. I've heard others complaining about not having the M104 go across 42nd street for the same reasons I've mentioned. The transfer isn't at all timed and the walk to get to the East Side is not fun either should you give up the on the M42 and decide to do that. All and all, a real PITA to be frank.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for all of your points, there are some that need access to the (A) train, and that's really what it comes down to. The M100 was cut back because of it being unreliable so restoring that would just create another headache. For as infrequent as the Bx20 comes, I do see some folks using it along the Henry Hudson Parkway.

Not only that but that bus is needed to give folks access from the Upper West Side/Columbus Circle area to the East Side. It is so annoying to have to get off and transfer to the M42 at Times Square because the M42 seems to be back to its old ways again of coming whenever. I've heard others complaining about not having the M104 go across 42nd street for the same reasons I've mentioned. The transfer isn't at all timed and the walk to get to the East Side is not fun either should you give up the on the M42 and decide to do that. All and all, a real PITA to be frank.

Why would the M100 cause a headache? The cut back was years ago. Today is 2012. I think extending it to replace the Bx20 would be a lot better. Maybe even make it an LTD if its too long.

Off-topic : Fixed the title, it was looking funny on the bus section page.

In between Manhattan & Queens the routes I wanna see restored when they to it are:

M1: Please bring back to South Ferry. Last time I was on the M1 myself & the other passengers were confused as hell as the bus terminated at East Village & not South Ferry as the bus stops advertised. Plus I don't even see much riders utilizing the M5 to the area like they did with the M1.

M104: Return to U.N. As I've said many times already but there has to be something to assist the M42 heading towards the U.N. With the increased buching & infrequency (mainly speaking for Rush Hours).

The M1...I'm a little iffy about. The M6 definitely carried more than the M1 heading down and leaving South Ferry. Most of the folks that used both lines got off at either Union Square, Astor Place or Chinatown. I'd say leave the M1 as it is and bring back the M6.

The M104 I agree with.

OK. No Problem Cait. Title looks better. :lol:

In reply to Brooklyn IRT and others. I was only guessing the return of all day BX20 service weekdays since it serves the most affluent area of the Bronx Riverdale. No doubt fair or not, politics will play a role in what few bus routes are returned. I could look like a fool lol and be wrong.

My thread was only a guess based on the (MTA) history in these cases. SO please read it again guys.

I could be wrong but here a guess on what services might be restored. Since i lived in Brooklyn (until 2006)for majority of my life most of my comments will focus on that. In no order.

1)"B64" service to/from Stillwell Terminal restored. However i don't think it returning to 86th Street/4th Ave. Thus it's running between Shore Rd/71st Street and CI via Bay Ridge Ave, 13th Ave and Bath Ave running daily 6am-Midnight 7 days a week.

2)"B4" returning to/from Knapp Street 7 days a week w/ late evning service i.e 11pm-130am start/end at Sheapshead Bay station.

3)"BX20" returning all day service weekdays running between 246th/Henry Hudson and Inwood-207th. "BX7" suffers from terrible bunching.

4)BX34 weekend service IMO will be restored. However i don't think overnight service is returning.

5)"B67" getting more service but i don't think overnight service is returning.

6)"M8" returns weekend service but no overnight service.

7)Wild card. The "B24" weekend service returns for growing Greenpoint Ave coordior. I could see it run weekends only running only between Manhattan Ave. & Greenpoint (G) station and Queens Blvd/48th St in Sunnyside as new lower costs hotels i.e econo lodge and lofts/apartments open in area.

8)I don't think the Q79 will return but i can see the (MTA) extending the Q30 or even the Q12 up and down Little Neck Pwy weekdays only to terminate at the Little Neck LIRR station(q30) or Hoarace Harding/Little Neck Pwy (Q12).

The B39 Williamsburg Bridge (should be returned as weekday only line) and B51 Manhattan Bridge I don't think is ever returning. Despite fact the Essex (J)(M) station is not ADA accesible.

Or the BX 55 returning weekend service but i can a BX15 Limited being created as a compromise.

Just some quick thoughts. :D

1. Taking the Bx20 to the IND rather than the Bx10/Bx20 to the IRT to go wherever saves little to no time (and actually takes longer in many cases) because the IRT and IND parallel each other from one end of Manhattan to the other.

If, on the other hand, they had the Bx20 run local in Riverdale but nonstop via 230 (not freaking 231 for crying out loud) and then Broadway and it only stopped at 225, Isham, and 207, then there would be a reason for it to continue existing as it would be worth riding to the IND and would still allow people to get to the Bx12, although unfortunately there does not seem to be enough of a demand for the connection to the latter to be improved by increasing Bx20 service frequency. If they do not do this nonstop operation, straight to Hell with this line.

2. The Bx12 is the only bus anybody in Riverdale really needs to reach or wants to reach but cannot be reached using the Bx10 and can be reached using the Bx20.

3. Other than the Bx12, there are no buses anybody from Riverdale needs to reach using the Bx20.

4. Because of all this, nobody would be paying an extra fare to get where they need to go if the Bx20 were completely discontinued, unless they wanted the Bx12 or the IND. But the IND is 99% useless for Riverdale people because it is faster to just take the IRT and the IND looks even more useless here since the Bx20 transfers to the IRT BEFORE IT EVEN TRANSFERS TO THE IND.

5. Yes, If they killed the Bx20 and extended the M100 that would be good too. Only problem is that it might KO the M100's adherence to schedule (whatever is left of it anyway).

By the way just because I said the IND looks even more useless does not mean that my comments are based on perception in any way whatsoever. I actually timed this stuff and could easily time or calculate it again.

In any case the only way the Bx20 should stay is if they do the nonstop operation I described and they run no fewer than 5 to 6 BPH rush hours and 4 BPH off-hours, except from about 20:00 to 06:00 or so. If not, I call MTA fail, Bronx fail, bus fail, Riverdale fail, Bx7 fail, Bx10 fail, Bx20 fail, and whatever other fails you want to throw in there.

Why would the M100 cause a headache? The cut back was years ago. Today is 2012. I think extending it to replace the Bx20 would be a lot better. Maybe even make it an LTD if its too long.

Mark as i said before the only extension of the M100 should be to 231st/Broadway (1) station area. M100 is already subject to bus bunching problems(not as bad as the BX7). if anything the BX7 should become a Limited at least rush hours between 231/Bway. and the GW Bridge Terminal/178th St. While I would rename the BX20 as B35 suggested earlier and make it the BX7a running between 246/Henry Hudson Pwy and 168th.

With that said, could be focus please on the possible cuts guys and not on service ideas. That why we have the Bronx '12 Bus Proposal Thread. Thanks

I'm just saying that I would see folks in Riverdale throwing a fit citing reliability and such. If it were me personally, I would just want more frequent Bx20 service. Even though I live there I can see the benefits of the Bx20 as it currently is.

I'm just saying that I would see folks in Riverdale throwing a fit citing reliability and such. If it were me personally, I would just want more frequent Bx20 service. Even though I live there I can see the benefits of the Bx20 as it currently is.

The M100, would benefit more, then the Bx20. M100 would give Spuyten Customers a one seat ride to GWB for connecting bus service, 168th Street for the Hospital (maybe even further down access to Harlem), M100 in Manhattan would give customers direct access to 225th Street where Target and a few other retailers are located.

While the Bx20 would just give customers access to the (A) and (1) lines, for a short route duplicating the Bx7 and Bx10, I wouldn't even bother.

IMO, things that should be restored:

1. B4 full-time service to Sheepshead Bay & B64 restored to Coney Island.

2. B39 restored weekdays only, Bx34 weekend service restored.

3. Bx20 combined with M100 to save money.

4. Increased B67 service.

5. B23 restored weekdays only.

6. Q79 restored weekdays only and/or Q12/Q30 extended to service Little Neck Parkway.

7. Restore the goddamn Bx14 to shut up Country Club residents. (By extending the Bx24 to Parkchester) The Bx4A will be unchanged.

IMO, things that should be restored:

1. B4 full-time service to Sheepshead Bay & B64 restored to Coney Island.

2. B39 restored weekdays only, Bx34 weekend service restored.

3. Bx20 combined with M100 to save money.

4. Increased B67 service.

5. B23 restored weekdays only.

6. Q79 restored weekdays only and/or Q12/Q30 extended to service Little Neck Parkway.

7. Restore the goddamn Bx14 to shut up Country Club residents. (By extending the Bx24 to Parkchester) The Bx4A will be unchanged.

I agree with almost all of them threxx. My only questions is?

1)The B51? 2)Maybe weekend M8 service? 3)Restore the B69 to it's pre June 2010 routing?

Well for all of your points, there are some that need access to the (A) train, and that's really what it comes down to......For as infrequent as the Bx20 comes, I do see some folks using it along the Henry Hudson Parkway.

Ok..why do they need the IND if the IRT and IND serve the same destinations from one end of Manhattan to the other? And how do you know how many of those Bx20 riders need the IND? How do you know they did not just take the Bx20 [to the IND] because it came before the Bx10 [to take 'em to the IRT]? How do you know they were not just looking for the bus that came first? How do you know they did not transfer from the Bx20 to the IRT at 231 or 225? During AM rush, how many people do you notice standing at the bus stops after the Bx10 has just left and then boarding the Bx20 once it shows up?

If you ask me, what I'd love to be restored are the following:

1. The M1 to East Village full-time. I'm against having it extended part-time to South Ferry due to its extreme length.

2. Extend the M104 back to the U.N. The MTA made a gigantic mistake cutting it back to Times Square only. Currently, the M42 is absolutely unreliable with it coming whenever it can, and the restoration of the M104 to the U.N. can really help the route out.

3. Restore weekend limited-stop service on the M5 and cut it back to Greenwich Village.

4. Restore B39 and B51 service. Echoing what B35 said in other threads in the past, I would love for the B51 to be extended to BMCC to give it an extra purpose.

5. Better B67 and B69 service. The June 2010 rearrangement of these two routes made them MUCH worse!

6. Extend the B4 full-time to Knapp Street. However, instead of having the B4 crawl on Neptune Avenue, keep it on Avenue Z until Sheepshead Bay Road/E. 14th Street and turn to Emmons Av. Neptune Avenue is completely dense with traffic, especially in rush hour, and the B4 merely crawls to and fro Shore Boulevard.

7. Extend the B64 full-time to the Stillwell Avenue train terminal.

8. Restore the Bx26 route back to what it was prior to the full-time Bx25 arrangement it is now.

9. Restore rush-hour M30 service to alleviate the crowding and bunching on the M31 and M57.

10. Restore the M6 to Central Park South with the possibility of having it extended to Columbus Circle.

4. Restore B39 and B51 service. Echoing what B35 said in other threads in the past, I would love for the B51 to be extended to BMCC to give it an extra purpose.

To add onto that, I would say to extend its Brooklyn run to Atlantic Terminal. If they want ridership, Atlantic Terminal & BMCC are two good places to start.

Bx20 combined with M100 to save money.

Realistically, how much money would you save over the current pattern?

As for the article, The Bronx actually wasn't hit too hard. If anything, I'd say Queens was hit harder, since there are more corridors with literally no transit (Little Neck Parkway, Francis Lewis Blvd, etc).

Realistically, how much money would you save over the current pattern?

As for the article, The Bronx actually wasn't hit too hard. If anything, I'd say Queens was hit harder, since there are more corridors with literally no transit (Little Neck Parkway, Francis Lewis Blvd, etc).

Sending some M100 trips to Riverdale rush hours would definitely save money...

Just saying, Francis Lewis has anything but no transit...

I said I would restore the Q79 to Little Neck anyway...

Sending some M100 trips to Riverdale rush hours would definitely save money...

Just saying, Francis Lewis has anything but no transit...

I said I would restore the Q79 to Little Neck anyway...

The only distance where they overlap is between 215th Street & 207th Street.

You're saying the Q76 runs Saturdays now?

And I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the article saying "Brooklyn & The Bronx were hit hardest".

1. The M1 to East Village full-time. I'm against having it extended part-time to South Ferry due to its extreme length.

Agreed.

2. Extend the M104 back to the U.N. The MTA made a gigantic mistake cutting it back to Times Square only. Currently, the M42 is absolutely unreliable with it coming whenever it can, and the restoration of the M104 to the U.N. can really help the route out.

And you don't think the M104 won't get caught in that mess on 42nd Street? I think they should just add trips to the M42, keep as many buses as posible out of that mess...

3. Restore weekend limited-stop service on the M5 and cut it back to Greenwich Village.

The M5 hasn't had weekend LTD stop service for years, that probably isn't coming back....

The B39, yes, weekdays only. I don't agree with bringing back the B51; there are many subway alternatives, and there are accesible stations in Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan...

5. Better B67 and B69 service. The June 2010 rearrangement of these two routes made them MUCH worse!

The B69 is fine, I think the ratio of B67 buses to B69 buses needs to be about 1.75:1...

6. Extend the B4 full-time to Knapp Street. However, instead of having the B4 crawl on Neptune Avenue, keep it on Avenue Z until Sheepshead Bay Road/E. 14th Street and turn to Emmons Av. Neptune Avenue is completely dense with traffic, especially in rush hour, and the B4 merely crawls to and fro Shore Boulevard.

Sheepshead Bay Road is too crowded as well, keep the current routing, otherwise agreed.

Agreed.

8. Restore the Bx26 route back to what it was prior to the full-time Bx25 arrangement it is now.

No comment....

9. Restore rush-hour M30 service to alleviate the crowding and bunching on the M31 and M57.

Agreed, though I would send some trips through Central Park for faster service.

10. Restore the M6 to Central Park South with the possibility of having it extended to Columbus Circle.

Not enough, IMO, I would have the M6 go to 72nd Street, or at least 66th Street...

Replies in red.

The M100, would benefit more, then the Bx20. M100 would give Spuyten Customers a one seat ride to GWB for connecting bus service, 168th Street for the Hospital (maybe even further down access to Harlem), M100 in Manhattan would give customers direct access to 225th Street where Target and a few other retailers are located.

I don't see it getting that much use in Riverdale or Spuyten Duyvil. Extending the M100 there would be extremely generous outside of rush hours, seeing how lightly used the Bx20s are and quite frankly, I don't see folks shopping at Target or any of those places down there in Kingsbridge. The overwhelming majority of Riverdalians either take the express bus to the city to shop or drive to up to Westchester. There is also no connection with Riverdale and Harlem or any other spots you mentioned. Folks generally want the Upper East Side or Upper West Side, hence the BxM1 and BxM2. If we really were clamoring for Harlem, we'd have stops in Harlem. Even for the hospital and doctor's appointments, folks use the express bus for NewYork-Presbyterian or other prestigious places on the Upper East Side. Co-op City for example does have a connection to Harlem with its strong black and Latino presence, so there's a BxM7 stop there accordingly.

Ok..why do they need the IND if the IRT and IND serve the same destinations from one end of Manhattan to the other? And how do you know how many of those Bx20 riders need the IND? How do you know they did not just take the Bx20 [to the IND] because it came before the Bx10 [to take 'em to the IRT]? How do you know they were not just looking for the bus that came first? How do you know they did not transfer from the Bx20 to the IRT at 231 or 225? During AM rush, how many people do you notice standing at the bus stops after the Bx10 has just left and then boarding the Bx20 once it shows up?

You'd have to ask the folks that use it, but there's only a handful of folks that I see using them in the morning or in the evening when I'm either on the express bus, getting off of one or waiting for one. Apparently some folks felt like they needed it and made a stink when it was on the chopping block so it was kept. Me personally, I don't see why in the world anyone would move to an affluent area and schlepp on the local bus to the subway like that when there are the express buses and MetroNorth, but more power to them. I guess these few folks can't afford it.

1. Agree on the M1. During the week it seems to be more reliable than any other Madison Avenue bus these days.

2. Agreed. I was walking back from getting lunch and taking a stroll in Bryant Park and saw a packed M42 bus. The M104 is certainly needed to take some of the strain off. When the new schedule rolled out for the M42, they were doing okay, but now they're running like crap again.

3. Agree. There is enough ridership from my personal observations to bring back the M6 and have the M5 run limited on weekends.

4. Agree.

5. Agree... These two routes have generally always run like crap though, but yes service could be better.

6. Agree with the extension... Disagree with it staying on Avenue Z. Many Sheepshead Bay residents want it back the same way it used to run because it allows them access to the commercial areas along Neptune and Avenue Z. Furthermore, I lived not too far from Neptune and I've never seen the amount of traffic that you've described when on the B4 in that area.

7. Agree.

9. Agree.

10. Agree! And boy do I like that idea of extending it to Columbus Circle! I used to hate taking the M6 to Central Park South and having to walk over to Whole Foods, especially in weather like this. The extra few blocks wouldn't hurt at all for the route.

1. The only distance where they overlap is between 215th Street & 207th Street.

2. You're saying the Q76 runs Saturdays now?

3. And I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the article saying "Brooklyn & The Bronx were hit hardest".

1. It's better than having those buses waste diesel when they could be on the Bx10 or Bx7.

2. Yes, I saw Q76 buses recently on Saturdays.

3. Ok...

10. Agree! And boy do I like that idea of extending it to Columbus Circle! I used to hate taking the M6 to Central Park South and having to walk over to Whole Foods, especially in weather like this. The extra few blocks wouldn't hurt at all for the route.

As I said before, that's not enough. I agree, walking to CC is a pain, but that isn't enough of a ridership generator. It should go up to 72nd Street, or at the minimum to the current M20 terminal. Then, the M6 & M20 could interline with each other at their terminals.

2. Agreed. I was walking back from getting lunch and taking a stroll in Bryant Park and saw a packed M42 bus. The M104 is certainly needed to take some of the strain off. When the new schedule rolled out for the M42, they were doing okay, but now they're running like crap again.

I don't want to see M104 buses also being screwed up by going into that mess that is 42nd Street. Just add service to the M42...

As I said before, that's not enough. I agree, walking to CC is a pain, but that isn't enough of a ridership generator. It should go up to 72nd Street, or at the minimum to the current M20 terminal. Then, the M6 & M20 could interline with each other at their terminals.

Well I don't know but I think Columbus Circle is a start. I don't see it getting much usage up to Lincoln Center and even if it got some usage the delays wouldn't be worth it, but I don't know if it is the worst idea proposed, so if it were extended up there I wouldn't oppose it, so long as the buses were reliable.

I don't want to see M104 buses also being screwed up by going into that mess that is 42nd Street. Just add service to the M42...

Nope... The thing is past Times Square, 42nd street isn't that bad depending on the time of day, so the M104 often times would show up well before any M42s would and that's why I want it back. Furthermore, the East-West access that the M104 provides makes the stupid transfer to or from the M42 no longer needed. I get irritated just thinking about it.

Well I don't know but I think Columbus Circle is a start. I don't see it getting much usage up to Lincoln Center and even if it got some usage the delays wouldn't be worth it, but I don't know if it is the worst idea proposed, so if it were extended up there I wouldn't oppose it, so long as the buses were reliable.

The main point of doing that is the interlining, as a restored M6 would share route and terminals with the M20 if it were restored that way. Interlining buses would benefit both routes. I also do expect that ridership will come from there, as the M5 and M7 get a decent amount of riders from that 7 block strip.

Me personally, I don't see why in the world anyone would move to an affluent area and schlepp on the local bus to the subway like that when there are the express buses and MetroNorth, but more power to them. I guess these few folks can't afford it.

The routes to Riverdale get 25,000 riders per weekday, and that doesn't even include the Bx9. Even if you exclude riders in Washington Heights/Inwood, and those areas east of the Major Deegan on the Bx10, that's still a few thousand riders. Hardly a few......

1. It's better than having those buses waste diesel when they could be on the Bx10 or Bx7.

2. Yes, I saw Q76 buses recently on Saturdays.

1) But the problem is that the M100 would become more unreliable. And then you end up with bunching, which results in wasted fuel anyway.

2) Wasn't it eliminated on Saturdays? :wacko:

The main point of doing that is the interlining, as a restored M6 would share route and terminals with the M20 if it were restored that way. Interlining buses would benefit both routes. I also do expect that ridership will come from there, as the M5 and M7 get a decent amount of riders from that 7 block strip.

Yeah it's possible and if anything it would take some of the stress off of the M5 and M7. The M5 is just serving wayyy too many duties these days and the reliability is just crap. I feel lucky when I get one and if there is one nearby I actually run for it fearing that my wait for the next one may be well over 20 minutes since they usually come in 2s these days.

Yeah it's possible and if anything it would take some of the stress off of the M5 and M7. The M5 is just serving wayyy too many duties these days and the reliability is just crap. I feel lucky when I get one and if there is one nearby I actually run for it fearing that my wait for the next one may be well over 20 minutes since they usually come in 2s these days.

Obviously, the M5 would be cut back to Greenwich Village. As much as I like the M5 weekend LTD idea, there hasn't been weekend LTD service for years, I don't see it coming back now.

Archived