The MTA heading your way with good news!

Shortline Bus

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I notice that article says more bus service for Bay Ridge, so perhaps we were successful in getting our X27 and X28 restored... If so I'd like to thank Marty Golden for this continue fight to get express bus service restored.

Speaking of service restorations, has anyone heard anything about the link below?

http://laborpress.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1487:assembly-joining-call-for-mta-service-restorations&catid=34:municipal-labour&Itemid=77

I notice that article says more bus service for Bay Ridge, so perhaps we were successful in getting our X27 and X28 restored... If so I'd like to thank Marty Golden for this continue fight to get express bus service restored.

Speaking of service restorations, has anyone heard anything about the link below?

http://laborpress.or...abour&Itemid=77

I dont see anything about more service for Bay Ridge in link. :o I still think only the B64 and B4 service will be restored as of now.

I totally forgot. The Q79 is definitely restored with a possible extension to Floral Park LIRR. Everything else can be gone and stay gone

Don't be that Heartless for Queens. The Q79 should be restored and the Q26 should be cut and then the Q74 can rush during rush hour when buses did get half full mor than the Q26. Or they can return the Q74 but have it go up to Main Street (7) Station. The Q20B i can care less of what they do to it because serves a less popular part of Whitestone College Point.

Brooklyn:

Like I said before, it's a waste of time to restore the B51, there are ADA stations on both ends of the route...

Not all of the stations are, especially for those who have to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn via other methods. While the City Hall station for the (4)(5)(6) is ADA-compliant, its connecting station (Chambers Street for the (J)(Z)) isn't, and the same can be said for many of the Nassau Street stations like its Canal Street connection. The B51 is needed so Chambers Street and Canal Street riders can access travel to Chinatown, City Hall, Wall Street, and Downtown Brooklyn.

As for the M9's restoration, I'm completely for it! Although the M9 worked fine under the current line to City Hall, its connection to South Ferry and Battery Park City was a lifeline. That said, I'm unsure what's going to happen with it being extended back to Downtown Manhattan. Will the M9 loop in Park Row before heading uptown/downtown? Is the M9 branch to City Hall discontinued? Will the M15's branch to City Hall replace it (if it's restored)? Many questions that need answers.

Now if only they'll someday execute the M13 proposal so Lower East Side residents can have one-ride accessibility to the Yorkville hospitals…

Not all of the stations are, especially for those who have to get to Manhattan or Brooklyn via other methods. While the City Hall station for the (4)(5)(6) is ADA-compliant, its connecting station (Chambers Street for the (J)(Z)) isn't, and the same can be said for many of the Nassau Street stations like its Canal Street connection. The B51 is needed so Chambers Street and Canal Street riders can access travel to Chinatown, City Hall, Wall Street, and Downtown Brooklyn.

That's understandable, but the money is better spent on sending a restored B71 or 77 to the Downtown Loop. I think restoring the B51 is a plain waste of money. With many stations going ADA compliant soon, it's not worth it.

That's understandable, but the money is better spent on sending a restored B71 or 77 to the Downtown Loop. I think restoring the B51 is a plain waste of money. With many stations going ADA compliant soon, it's not worth it.

I think some route could be extended to provide service for the B51, BUT we should not be forcing folks to use the subway just because it is ADA accessible. We should encourage bus usage because the subway in many cases is already overcrowded and having difficulty meeting demand so spreading some folks on buses where possible should be considered. It won't be a huge difference but every bit counts.

Even with restoration of services, I think the bigger question is will those who left the system be convinced to come back and use it? According to the link below at least 22,000 people just stopped using public transit and I personally think that number is much higher.

http://articles.nyda...ce-service-cuts

I think some route could be extended to provide service for the B51, BUT we should not be forcing folks to use the subway just because it is ADA accessible. We should encourage bus usage because the subway in many cases is already overcrowded and having difficulty meeting demand so spreading some folks on buses where possible should be considered. It won't be a huge difference but every bit counts.

Even with restoration of services, I think the bigger question is will those who left the system be convinced to come back and use it? According to the link below at least 22,000 people just stopped using public transit.

http://articles.nyda...ce-service-cuts

That question can't be answered yet, sadly.

Anyway, that's why I propose to restore the B71 or B77 (preferably the B71) and extend it to the Downtown Loop.

The B51 was just like the B39 Just running to waste time gas an money and had sooo many alternatives it wasn't funny. I would rather have the B54 during rush hours to go to city hall since ppl think that a restoration has to happen for the B51 and because the B54 doesn't take that long it would be in my opinion a great choice. Now for the B39 people just stop being lazy a actually walk up the stairs for the (J)(M)(Z) trains i can understand for the disable and elderly but for young people they can take the subway.

That question can't be answered yet, sadly.

Anyway, that's why I propose to restore the B71 or B77 (preferably the B71) and extend it to the Downtown Loop.

I can speak from personal experience... I stopped frequenting certain places due to the service cuts or used public transit less and I'm pro-transit. Less transit is a loss for everyone and many businesses have felt it. Less businesses mean less tax revenues for the (MTA)... They should consider that next time they think about making cuts like this.

The B51 was just like the B39 Just running to waste time gas an money and had sooo many alternatives it wasn't funny. I would rather have the B54 during rush hours to go to city hall since ppl think that a restoration has to happen for the B51 and because the B54 doesn't take that long it would be in my opinion a great choice. Now for the B39 people just stop being lazy a actually walk up the stairs for the (J)(M)(Z) trains i can understand for the disable and elderly but for young people they can take the subway.

I disagree... You should speak for yourself. Some people simply don't like using the subway and the B39 was very useful for those who prefer the bus or have difficulty with the subway.

The B39 was useful because Essex Street wasn't ADA accessible. You don't have the same problems with the B51's routing. The B51 is dead and gone.

Breaking News. The NY Daily News in tonight (7/17/12)online edition by transit reporter Pete Donhanue has announced the 1st confirmed service increases/restored service. It's the "M9" back to it's pre June 2010 routing.

It's also helps that most of Lower Manhattan is respresented by Sheldon Silver, the 2nd most powerful Democratic in the state after of course the Gov.

image.jpg

"The MTA’s improved budgetary outlook has allowed it to restore bus service to Lower Manhattan that was slashed in a round of sweeping budget cuts in 2010.

The M9 is coming back in force in January and will again link Battery Park City to parts in the lower southeastern portion of Manhattan, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) announced Tuesday.

“I am pleased that the MTA has heard our concerns and that the M9 line will provide even greater benefit to our community,” Silver, whose district is serviced by the route, said in a statement.

A large section of the route was eliminated during the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s budget crisis two years ago, when it was forced to bring pain to many in the straphanging public in order to close a gap of nearly $900 million.

Silver said the M9 route restoration will connect Battery Park City with the Lower East Side, Chinatown and City Hall. It also will extend northward to provide direct service to Bellevue Hospital Center and the NYU Medical Center."

Read more: http://www.nydailyne...2#ixzz20v44561V

Holy crap, and to think I posted this idea on the forums a long time ago. YES!!!!!!

I can speak from personal experience... I stopped frequenting certain places due to the service cuts or used public transit less and I'm pro-transit. Less transit is a loss for everyone and many businesses have felt it. Less businesses mean less tax revenues for the (MTA)... They should consider that next time they think about making cuts like this.

Via makes a great point here. When service is chopped off so badly, people will focus on other means to get around, either by car or taxi.

Sections like Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay were devastated by the service cuts. There was a TV report (I don't know when, but it was around a year ago, I think) that describes a person's trip to (what I believe are) the Sheepshead theaters in Knapp Street. Previously, you only needed the B4 to get there. But because the B4 doesn't run full-time to Knapp Street nowadays, the kids needed three buses to get there: the B4 to Coney Island Avenue, the B36 to Nostrand, and the B44 to Knapp Street. All of this adds a significant amount of travel time. When that happens, residents would rather either not go or get to and fro through car or cab. When this happens, there's a chance the MTA loses money.

While this newspaper data is almost a year old, I wouldn't be shocked if the statistics remain the same or have fluctuated a little bit. While some cuts like the X37/38, the Bx5/Bx8 to their original routes, and the return of the Bx14 in some capacity as the Bx24 have been restored, it's still a nasty mess. The M5's performance, for example, has worsened since being extended to South Ferry.

Also, regarding one of the replies back to me, not every station will be ADA-compliant quite soon. Elevators cost a lot of money to construct, and they can take anywhere from one to three years to complete due to researching, street planning, funding, and up-to-date equipment needed to complete them. Some of these projects get delayed because the MTA is notorious for pushing so many projects simultaneously. New York City residents are impatient, and they have reason to be. Many of us rely on public transportation to go to work, school, or both. They need the service now or very so they can get to somewhere on time. Lack of public transportation can create big problems that can take a long time to fix.

Via makes a great point here. When service is chopped off so badly, people will focus on other means to get around, either by car or taxi.

Sections like Bay Ridge and Sheepshead Bay were devastated by the service cuts. There was a TV report (I don't know when, but it was around a year ago, I think) that describes a person's trip to (what I believe are) the Sheepshead theaters in Knapp Street. Previously, you only needed the B4 to get there. But because the B4 doesn't run full-time to Knapp Street nowadays, the kids needed three buses to get there: the B4 to Coney Island Avenue, the B36 to Nostrand, and the B44 to Knapp Street. All of this adds a significant amount of travel time. When that happens, residents would rather either not go or get to and fro through car or cab. When this happens, there's a chance the MTA loses money.

While this newspaper data is almost a year old, I wouldn't be shocked if the statistics remain the same or have fluctuated a little bit. While some cuts like the X37/38, the Bx5/Bx8 to their original routes, and the return of the Bx14 in some capacity as the B14 have been restored, it's still a nasty mess. The M5's performance, for example, has worsened since being extended to South Ferry.

Also, regarding one of the replies back to me, not every station will be ADA-compliant quite soon. Elevators cost a lot of money to construct, and they can take anywhere from one to three years to complete due to researching, street planning, funding, and up-to-date equipment needed to complete them. Some of these projects get delayed because the MTA is notorious for pushing so many projects simultaneously. New York City residents are impatient, and they have reason to be. Many of us rely on public transportation to go to work, school, or both. They need the service now or very so they can get to somewhere on time. Lack of public transportation can create big problems that can take a long time to fix.

Not only that but you know how frequently escalators and elevators break down and how long they take to be repaired and we should alienate or senior and disabled population. Many have become prisoners of their homes by these service cuts. As for your B4 comment, many folks at the Town Hall meeting in Sheepshead Bay mentioned the loss of having access to the movie theatre.

Don't be that Heartless for Queens. The Q79 should be restored and the Q26 should be cut and then the Q74 can rush during rush hour when buses did get half full mor than the Q26. Or they can return the Q74 but have it go up to Main Street (7) Station. The Q20B i can care less of what they do to it because serves a less popular part of Whitestone College Point.

I wasn't heartless for Queens. Didn't you read the rest of my proposals for Queens?

Riders in Section 5 of Co-op City get their commutes increased by 15-20 minutes when the bus has to go through all sections. I like the situation the way it is now in Co-op City. Some routes serve all 5 Sections (Bx23, Bx30,Bx38, Q50) while the others serve sections 4 and 5 only (Bx26,Bx28).

First off, the Bx38 does NOT serve all 5 sections and that route sucks. The Bx38 is the only bus route that doesn't go to Section 5 so those people can survive riding on the bus an extra 15-20 mins. They did well before June 27th, 2010.

For Co Op City bring back the Bx25 (rush hours only) but have it run the Bx26 original route running all throughout Co Op City for a compromise. The Bx25/Bx26 would just have their routes reversed from the pre 2010 service, MTA still gets their savings off peak since the Bx26 would stay the way it is now.

That sounded good at first but NOTHING serves Section 1-4 for Allerton Ave at all, why should that just be a rush hour thing? The few times I ride the Bx26 now, that bus is more empty than it was pre-2010. I said it then and I say it now, no one should have to take 2 buses when they were able to take 1 in the past.

I've never understood why it was so "heinous" and "evil" that Section 5 riders finally got a direct route to/from Gun Hill Road. Why is it so absolutely essential to force them on a 10-minute detour through the rest of Co-op City? Don't the folks in Sections 1-4 like empty seats?

What makes Section 5 so special to begin with? I don't think it's "heinous" and "evil" and it's the biggest part of Co-op I admit, but that doesn't mean it should have special priority. As it is, it gets the Bx29 along with the other routes, minus the Bx38 but it doesn't need it since it has the Bx28 all the time. Empty seats are cool if you don't have to wait 15-20 minutes for those empty seats, which is what me and other people here in Co-op City have to go through with the Bx38 and that's bullshit. If the headways were something close to what the Bx28 to Norwood was pre-2010, then I wouldn't have anything to say about this but that's not what happened. That route is a joke and it needs to either be retooled or be done away with completely. Period, end of discussion.

The M1 shouldn't go back to South Ferry, that was a long-a$$ route second only to the current M5.

That route was not the second longest route to the M5 and it was quite reliable before June 2010. It's shit now and the M1 on the weekends is disgraceful. Like I said before, that bus needs to go back to its original route.

That route was not the second longest route to the M5 and it was quite reliable before June 2010. It's shit now and the M1 on the weekends is disgraceful. Like I said before, that bus needs to go back to its original route.

IIRC, the M3 was the longest route in Manhattan before this M5 extension. Now it would be the 2nd longest. I was going to say the M101 but since that one is a LTD, it gets to Ft. George faster than the M3.

The longest routes overall are the S78 and the S74, just thought I'd mention that.

IIRC, the M3 was the longest route in Manhattan before this M5 extension. Now it would be the 2nd longest. I was going to say the M101 but since that one is a LTD, it gets to Ft. George faster than the M3.

I didn't even think about the M3 but you are so right. That is a long route right there but that M5? Good God that's almost the entire borough! LOL

I didn't even think about the M3 but you are so right. That is a long route right there but that M5? Good God that's almost the entire borough! LOL

Actually, I gotta double check that. I think the M3 is still the longest....it's fairly close to the M5 and vice-versa. I haven't rode the full M5 yet but riding it from South Ferry to 72nd Street was TORTURE!

Just a bit of food for thought, prior to 1997 (or 96, I forgot when), the M101 and M102 WERE the longest routes in Manhattan as they both formally ran to City Hall (The M1 had a LIMITED counterpart whereas the M102 was local). The mileage compared with the old M101 and the M3 kinda shows it.

The M103 then replaced the M101 or M102 in 96 or 97 to increase reliability along both Lex & 3rd Avenues. But damn, I miss those days but those buses were getting a beatdown of a lifetime, used to see RTSs and such in Chinatown all broke down and such....

- I don't see where the (old) M1 was that long (to whoever it was that said it was).....

- I rode the full M5 a couple times..... SB buses tend to take longer than NB buses....

full M3 & M4 to me are more torturous than the full M5.....

- M101 overall is quicker than the M3 & M5; traffic moves far better on amsterdam than it does on broadway & st. nich' in upper manhattan.....

Actually, I gotta double check that. I think the M3 is still the longest....it's fairly close to the M5 and vice-versa. I haven't rode the full M5 yet but riding it from South Ferry to 72nd Street was TORTURE!

Just a bit of food for thought, prior to 1997 (or 96, I forgot when), the M101 and M102 WERE the longest routes in Manhattan as they both formally ran to City Hall (The M1 had a LIMITED counterpart whereas the M102 was local). The mileage compared with the old M101 and the M3 kinda shows it.

The M103 then replaced the M101 or M102 in 96 or 97 to increase reliability along both Lex & 3rd Avenues. But damn, I miss those days but those buses were getting a beatdown of a lifetime, used to see RTSs and such in Chinatown all broke down and such....

The M3 Was longer than the pre M5

Archived