24/7 express bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

The recent move by the MTA to announce running the X1 24/7 was a shock especially for me, who last year spoke at an MTA board meeting about the need to expand express bus service later at night for Staten Island residents, something that they clearly realized was a need as well. With that said, this IMO sets a new precedence for the role of express buses in communities across the 5 boroughs. I wonder if any other express bus lines could be candidates for 24/7 service in the future and if so which ones and why?

The recent move by the MTA to announce running the X1 24/7 was a shock especially for me, who last year spoke at an MTA board meeting about the need to expand express bus service later at night for Staten Island residents, something that they clearly realized was a need as well. With that said, this IMO sets a new precedence for the role of express buses in communities across the 5 boroughs. I wonder if any other express bus lines could be candidates for 24/7 service in the future and if so which ones and why?

That an easy one. It's the BX7 COOP City line. And even on last trips leaving Manhattan towards Coops the BX7 has always at least 1/2-2/3 seats full.

That the only Manhattan express routes right now that needs it. Others such as the X10, BXM1 and maybe the BXM10 all for now, just needs to run a hour later i.e 130am (last bus leaving Manhattan)7 days a week.

That an easy one. It's the BX7 COOP City line. And even on last trips leaving Manhattan towards Coops the BX7 has always at least 1/2-2/3 seats full.

That the only Manhattan express routes right now that needs it. Others such as the X10, BXM1 and maybe the BXM10 all for now, just needs to run a hour later i.e 130am (last bus leaving Manhattan)7 days a week.

All those lines would be great candidates but the BxM7 would be perfect for the next choice in 24/7 express bus service.

Believe it or not the BxM1 isn't as heavily used late at night as the BxM2 is, hence why the BxM2 runs later and gets better usage. There are more attractions that are open later near the BxM2 (i.e. Lincoln Center, MoMA, Times Square, shopping etc.). I would be happy with a few more later runs and 24/7 service would be great, but I'm quite happy with the current set up, as service here is fabulous. I usually find myself taking the BxM1 into the city and the BxM2 home, though today I'll be using the BxM2 to and from the city. I could agree with the BxM7 perhaps getting 24/7 service. I think quite frankly the X10 and X17 should be the next candidates. For Queens I'm sure there are a few candidates... Maybe the QM2 or like Q23 said, the QM5 or QM6.

I think it would be much more beneficial to use money to run rush hour only buses that were cut that would positively affect hundreds of people rather than for late night express buses that would only affect a handful of people.

I don't even think express buses should have 24/7 service at all, except in places where there is no subway access, but carry on...

Well, to be fair, how many of the routes mentioned really spend a significant amount of time near the subway? I mean, we're not talking about routes like the QM10 getting 24/7 service.

I think it would be much more beneficial to use money to run rush hour only buses that were cut that would positively affect hundreds of people rather than for late night express buses that would only affect a handful of people.

The thing is that some of these routes would have decent ridership even at 3AM. I mean, I remember taking the second-to-last X10 on a weekday, and there were only a couple of seats left when we left Manhattan. Even on a Saturday night, there weren't a whole lot of seats left. Considering that there isn't much deadheading going on, those routes wouldn't be too expensive to operate.

I'm not following you... If you're referring to your beloved X90, if you want it restored, you folks have to get up off of your ***** and do something about it instead of whining. I have spoke out for later express bus service on Staten Island to the MTA in person and I am glad to see the X1 service being implemented, because quite frankly, contrary to your belief, the service will be well used and not just by a handful of people. I used some of the last X1s of the night and many of them were SRO, so the service is not going to waste and will be well used.

I'm sorry to break the news to you, but your X90 will not be coming back unless you guys start making some noise which doesn't seem to be happening. The neighborhoods that are most vocal about service will see restorations and perhaps expansions in service first. Bay Ridge residents and other former South Brooklyn residents such as myself were extremely vocal about getting our X27 weekend service back and it comes as no surprise to me that we've got it back.

As an express bus rider, I support all efforts to improve express bus service across the system, and folks like Bounad certainly have my support for the QM20 extension and any additional service for the line.

----

I think if the BxM7 had more times in which it needed fewer buses for service (as in longer frequencies) that they would have service later.

I'm surprised at how long this took!!

I think the x1 is an excellent start and that the x10 would be another good candidate, though I would consider modifying the route to maximize access (travel via Victory Blvd.) call it the x10N..

Hopefully there will be expanded corresponding AM reverse (Manhattan to SI) service. When I was working the night shift, I had to strategize my connections to the x1 from PABT, often missing it by minutes near Battery Park.

While expanding the x17 would be most beneficial for me, I think the Sunday Service + additional off-peak service is a good start. The one-mile walk to Eltingville Transit Center isn't too bad for my s74 to x10 combination.

I think the x1 is an excellent start and that the x10 would be another good candidate, though I would consider modifying the route to maximize access (travel via Forest Ave) call it the x10N..

Hopefully there will be expanded corresponding AM reverse (Manhattan to SI) service. When I was working the night shift, I had to strategize my connections to the x1 from PABT, often missing it by minutes near Battery Park.

While expanding the x17 would be most beneficial for me, I think the Sunday Service + additional off-peak service is a good start. The one-mile walk to Eltingville Transit Center isn't too bad for my s74 to x10 combination.

When you say down Forest Av, where exactly? The current X10 does run down Forest Av, but only for a short while. I too think something should serve Forest Avenue longer and it was one reason I left West Brighton. I mean having the last express bus at 18:30 to Staten island via Forest Avenue is a joke.

I think the x1 is an excellent start and that the x10 would be another good candidate, though I would consider modifying the route to maximize access (travel via Forest Ave) call it the x10N..

What would you do with the X10N? Have it continue to Forest & Broadway instead of going up to Port Richmond? I think you're better off leaving it the way it is, since it's more direct.

Cait Sith said they probably won't be doing the X17 Sunday service because of union issues regarding the stop in Brooklyn (Bummer, right?)

When you say down Forest Av, where exactly? The current X10 does run down Forest Av, but only for a short while. I too think something should serve Forest Avenue longer and it was one reason I left West Brighton. I mean having the last express bus at 18:30 to Staten island via Forest Avenue is a joke.

I meant Victory Blvd. , instead of using the service roads... sorry!

I wouldn't agree with that... Too many traffic lights and all of that along Victory. If anything have the X12 serve Victory Blvd longer.

He's talking about overnight service. No way in hell is the X12 getting overnight service.

I meant Victory Blvd. , instead of using the service roads... sorry!

Sounds alright. Would it go up Clove or Slosson to reach Victory?

I am glad that the MTA is starting to make the X1 24/7. Currently, at late night there is not so many travel options from Manhattan to Stalen Island.There are only 2 ways to get to Stalen Island by using both bus and subways. 1, M15 or (1)(4)(N) > Stalen Island Ferry > Stalen Island buses that will take riders to their final destation if they don't live near the ferry 2, (D)(N) > (R) > s53 > other Stalen Island buses that will take riders to their destations if they don't live near the s53. The X1 would benefit riders traveling between Stalen Island and Manhattan since it will: 1, Reduce travel time 2, Provide a one direct route form Manhattan to Stalen Island rather than transfering 3, Create better transporation options.

That the only Manhattan express routes right now that needs it.....

pretty much this.....

none of the brooklyn expresses needs 24-7 service...... as for queens, you could maybe have one of the union tpke expresses run 24-7 to/from midtown, but that's about it....

I am glad that the MTA is starting to make the X1 24/7. Currently, at late night there is not so many travel options from Manhattan to Stalen Island.There are only 2 ways to get to Stalen Island by using both bus and subways. 1, M15 or (1)(4)(N) > Stalen Island Ferry > Stalen Island buses that will take riders to their final destation if they don't live near the ferry 2, (D)(N) > (R) > s53 > other Stalen Island buses that will take riders to their destations if they don't live near the s53. The X1 would benefit riders traveling between Stalen Island and Manhattan since it will: 1, Reduce travel time 2, Provide a one direct route form Manhattan to Stalen Island rather than transfering 3, Create better transporation options.

I thought you just had a few typos, but it's Staten Island, not Stalen Island...

He's talking about overnight service. No way in hell is the X12 getting overnight service.

Sounds alright. Would it go up Clove or Slosson to reach Victory?

Yep. This would be for my hypothetical x10N service and I might consider making it for trips between 10:00pm - 5:00am.

I was thinking Clove Road to reach the s74 at Targee/Richmond Road.

Major bummer if the x17 Sunday service doesn't get implemented. Was this x17 stop in Bay Ridge going to be a full time stop or Sundays only? I haven't been able to see many details on this.

I was actually considering giving the route the x10, but the Sunday mornings the x10 is packed, many times with standees (x1 too)... Sundays on the x17 would be acceptable to me, however going back to Staten Island the stop should be Bay Ridge - By Request Only, Passengers must inform the B/O during time of boarding, which is similar to the policy that some NJT buses have when going through Union City (like the 190 and formerly the 161).

Yep. This would be for my hypothetical x10N service and I might consider making it for trips between 10:00pm - 5:00am.

Major bummer if the x17 Sunday service doesn't get implemented. Was this x17 stop in Bay Ridge going to be a full time stop or Sundays only? I haven't been able to see many details on this.

I was actually considering giving the route the x10, but the Sunday mornings the x10 is packed, many times with standees (x1 too)... Sundays on the x17 would be acceptable to me, however going back to Staten Island the stop should be Bay Ridge - By Request Only, Passengers must inform the B/O during time of boarding, which is similar to the policy that some NJT buses have when going through Union City (like the 190 and formerly the 161).

The X17 Sunday service IS happening. It just may not be making the Brooklyn stop to serve X28 riders. As far as I'm concerned that is still happening as well as nothing has been officially stated yet saying otherwise.

Here's the post where he mentioned it. Looking at it again, it looks like he was just referring to the Brooklyn stop, not the Sunday service, though we don't know if the Sunday service is contingent on having the Brooklyn stop. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36360-the-mta-heading-your-way-with-good-news/page__st__560?do=findComment&comment=565781

For Clove Road, it already gets off the SIE and serves the S74 stops. I was thinking maybe for the people living in those apartments in Silver Lake (it gets them to the S62 quicker), as well as those living along Clove Road itself (plus, the transfer at Clove & Howard for those seeking the S53 is a better transfer than Narrows Road North & Richmond Road, since it's better-lit).

The X17 stop was supposed to serve weekend X28 riders, so it would be Saturdays and Sundays, obviously with the Sunday service being new.

For Bay Ridge, I think it could help out people traveling between SI & Brooklyn. For instance, from my area (by the last stop on the X17 before it gets on the SIE), it probably takes close to an hour between making my way down to the S62, and then transferring to the S53, whereas this would take around 20 minutes to reach Bay Ridge (in any case, with the X28 passengers, I think it would be a major enough stop that most buses would stop there anyway).

I think the QM5 and 6 would be good choices, too. Right now, there are really only a few hours in the middle of the night with no express buses down union tpke. However, I know a number of night shift workers that would prefer a safe express bus ride over having to ale the E or F. If they could somehow get 1B/O to do a few rush hour trips to queens, then take a break and do these extra 1 or 2 runs, it probably hold not cost that much in the long term.

Can someone PLEASE clarify how the QM buses work in the city? I really don't understand how they come up 6th Avenue (which works as the first stop Queens bound at 6th & 36th), but then they have pick up and drop off from that point. Basically it seems like there is no real lay over for B/Os that do the Midtown runs... Does this set up only apply during off hours where there isn't as much demand or what is the deal??

Can someone PLEASE clarify how the QM buses work in the city? I really don't understand how they come up 6th Avenue (which works as the first stop Queens bound at 6th & 36th), but then they have pick up and drop off from that point. Basically it seems like there is no real lay over for B/Os that do the Midtown runs... Does this set up only apply during off hours where there isn't as much demand or what is the deal??

I don't know, but just a theory that could make sense would be that they use two separate buses. Possibly a bus from Queens would make all drop offs to 57th Street, then layover somewhere for a later run while a separate bus is making pick up stops and then going to Queens. It doesn't make sense to have pick up and drop offs at the same time on an express bus because then if there's traffic or something that delays a bus into Manhattan, it doesn't only delay that run but also the next run and inconveniences people who need to get to Queens.

Archived