24/7 express bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

The X17 Sunday service IS happening. It just may not be making the Brooklyn stop to serve X28 riders. As far as I'm concerned that is still happening as well as nothing has been officially stated yet saying otherwise.

I was told by many of the bus ops down at Charleston that it's not happening.....high opposition from the ATU. But we'll see.

The QM6 or the QM5, maybe even the QM2

does QM5/6 have high off peak use? I mostly see em at night with few ppl on.

Can someone PLEASE clarify how the QM buses work in the city? I really don't understand how they come up 6th Avenue (which works as the first stop Queens bound at 6th & 36th), but then they have pick up and drop off from that point. Basically it seems like there is no real lay over for B/Os that do the Midtown runs... Does this set up only apply during off hours where there isn't as much demand or what is the deal??

QM buses do not layover several runs pickup and dropoff before going back to queens. for example QM 15 drops off ppl then on 6th ave continues to do so while picking ppl up as well. some interline NJT Philly style come as one rte then leave manhattan as another QM line.

does QM5/6 have high off peak use? I mostly see em at night with few ppl on.

QM buses do not layover several runs pickup and dropoff before going back to queens. for example QM 15 drops off ppl then on 6th ave continues to do so while picking ppl up as well. some interline NJT Philly style come as one rte then leave manhattan as another QM line.

That was my understanding based on times that I've used the QM1 a few years ago, but why is that? I needed to get off at 57th and the bus went up 6th and was picking up and dropping off. It was quite weird and some folks acted like they weren't used to seeing folks get off.

I was told by many of the bus ops down at Charleston that it's not happening.....high opposition from the ATU. But we'll see.

Well I would be interested in knowing what their opposition is which could deny service to an entire neighborhood. Some of the service restorations are being paid for with monies that is basically being given to the MTA which they would normally have to give up so I'm really baffled. They should be understanding of the situation and know that this was done to try to make monies stretch as far as possible to restore service to as much areas as possible. Would they rather not have the runs on Sunday because this is creating runs that would otherwise not be there for them to pick from.

Can someone PLEASE clarify how the QM buses work in the city? I really don't understand how they come up 6th Avenue (which works as the first stop Queens bound at 6th & 36th), but then they have pick up and drop off from that point. Basically it seems like there is no real lay over for B/Os that do the Midtown runs... Does this set up only apply during off hours where there isn't as much demand or what is the deal??

Depends on the run. There are quite a few runs (during the rush) that layover once they get to 36th Street.

That's a half truth....

Of the buses that complete their inbound trips, some of these buses go OOS once they dropoff in Manhattan as well.... It's why you'll see some expresses with the good ole code 6 (Not In Service) displayed......

What you are describing are the inbound trips that "combine" with the outbound trips (if you wanna look at it that way)... this is done due to the fact that there is no layover (although some b/o's do take a short break b/w stops along 6th av in the w. 30's w/ pax still on)....

But for sure, the QM15 does not interline with any other express route.... the other 2 FRK exp routes (16 & 17) are peak hr. routes that start their outbound trips on 3rd/34th & end their inbound trips on 3rd/57th.....

That's a half truth....

Of the buses that complete their inbound trips, some of these buses go OOS once they dropoff in Manhattan as well.... It's why you'll see some expresses with the good ole code 6 (Not In Service) displayed......

What you are describing are the inbound trips that "combine" with the outbound trips (if you wanna look at it that way)... this is done due to the fact that there is no layover (although some b/o's do take a short break b/w stops along 6th av in the w. 30's w/ pax still on)....

But for sure, the QM15 does not interline with any other express route.... the other 2 FRK exp routes (16 & 17) are peak hr. routes that start their outbound trips on 3rd/34th & end their inbound trips on 3rd/57th.....

That's what I figured... I took a QM1 before the whole QM1A thing was done away with (at that I was using it to attend this gig I was considering doing out in Queens when I had free time) that took a short layover there by 6th & 36th I believe. This was on a Saturday and I needed to get off at 57th. There weren't many folks left on the bus still getting off and then once he took his short break, he started picking up and dropping off. I'm just wondering if the pick up/drop off situation has to do with how some of the QM buses come into the city? That seems to be the case and it's a unique one since I don't know of any other express buses that do this officially.

QJ the QM5 and QM6 have okay midday but a good amount of ridership weekends. Of anything make late night service on the QM6 as from the other CP routes its the most utilized aside from the QM2

I don't know I think QM5/6 ridership past 7 PM would have to increase before any night service is added at all. QM4 has almost no offpeak ridership at all are you sure about weekends I saw back to back QM4&6 Both on queens blvd queensbound with very few riders at all 6 ppl or less I dont know if it even warrants 24/7 serviceso I have no clear opinion.

That's what I figured... I took a QM1 before the whole QM1A thing was done away with (at that I was using it to attend this gig I was considering doing out in Queens when I had free time) that took a short layover there by 6th & 36th I believe. This was on a Saturday and I needed to get off at 57th. There weren't many folks left on the bus still getting off and then once he took his short break, he started picking up and dropping off. I'm just wondering if the pick up/drop off situation has to do with how some of the QM buses come into the city? That seems to be the case and it's a unique one since I don't know of any other express buses that do this officially.

B35 is right some buses layover but not many. does anybody know if some QM5/6 runs come from eastchester?

All i have to say is BxM7 would be perfect for 24/7 service, why because when i first started i use to do the last trip a couple of times when i was the last bus out the city. I must say every time i did the last trip it was always maybe no more then 10 seats left, i think the only reason why it was that much seats left is because ppl happen to catch earlier buses so they wont have the problem of finding a seat. I did it on a sat and sunday same result. That line alone makes MTA so much money, i also think the Bxm9 it not run 24/7 at least run a lil late as well as the BxM10 same result, im talking experience from doing these lines late at night or even the last trips.

All i have to say is BxM7 would be perfect for 24/7 service, why because when i first started i use to do the last trip a couple of times when i was the last bus out the city. I must say every time i did the last trip it was always maybe no more then 10 seats left, i think the only reason why it was that much seats left is because ppl happen to catch earlier buses so they wont have the problem of finding a seat. I did it on a sat and sunday same result. That line alone makes MTA so much money, i also think the Bxm9 it not run 24/7 at least run a lil late as well as the BxM10 same result, im talking experience from doing these lines late at night or even the last trips.

true you are right BXM7 needs 24/7 service way more than QM5/6 UNLIKE many brooklyn and queens lines it will have the ridership to back up 24/7 service.

Quick question. I have been on local buses at all times of night and morning and usually late night/early morning, you get those passengers that have every excuse in the world as to why they can't pay the fare. Do express buses get those late night "I forgot my metro card can i please ride for free?" customers?

Quick question. I have been on local buses at all times of night and morning and usually late night/early morning, you get those passengers that have every excuse in the world as to why they can't pay the fare. Do express buses get those late night "I forgot my metro card can i please ride for free?" customers?

hmm....

Of the times I've ridden an express bus after 'round 10pm, I've never been on a bus where that has happened..... So I would stop to say, it's rather rare to see the sob story types on the express.....

To answer your question... No... When the MTA says they're losing money from farebeaters, they are referring to the local buses. I take the last Riverdale express buses of the night often and everyone gets on and pays, as there are the regulars even at that time. Same deal when I lived on Staten Island. In my six years + of using the express bus, the one time I witnessed it on the X10, the driver held the bus there and embarrassed the individual who hadn't paid and yelled out "I'm waiting for you to pay your fare". That person got up and paid because you do not want to get a bunch of express bus riders pissed off for holding them up. Everyone started looking around and started getting irritated as if to say, who is the @hole holding us up!?

For the most part folks know what the fare is and they come with their MetroCard or change prepared and the ones that aren't regulars that get on know that the sob story won't work. Not only would the B/O not allow it, but the passengers like myself would not stand for it either. We're not going to pay damn there three times the regular fare to watch some deadbeat get on for free and if I get any inkling of a B/O letting folks on for free I will and have filed a complaint, as it is an insult to those who are paying and furthermore, we are not going to have an environment where all sorts of riff raff are getting on because often times the folks that farebeat on those local buses cause the most problems. The reason folks can get away with it on the local buses is weak enforcement. The MTA is finally making noise about it on the local buses, BUT they should've been doing that a long time ago because they've helped to foster an environment that makes folks think that it is okay to steal rides.

I ride MetroNorth also and I don't see folks beating the fares there either and it isn't a coincidence either.

good that is all you needed to say thanks for actually answering and not being an ass it is appreciated.

True but they dont check often however the environment kills farebeating its about damn time. But local B/Os don't give a crap when I scolded an asshat for not having the fare and holding up the bus went through 4 empty metrocards before getting to one that worked B/O had the nerve to defend the fool. I was ready to smack the bastard with 4 metrocards I kicked a farebeater out of anger ppl laughed.

This story of yours seems far fetched...

Some people do farebeat on Metro North, there was one woman who may have found a ticket in another seat (they leave tickets attached to the seat for the return trip) and showed that to the conductor.

I don't know why people do that stupid shit.... leave their tickets in the slot for the seat checks & then doze off, or start reading a newspaper, going on their laptop, etc.... While I can't say if ppl. do that more on the MNRR over the LIRR & NJT RR, it's a dumb practice & easy to get your ticket stolen that way - Which I've seen happen on more than a few occasions.....

True but they dont check often however the environment kills farebeating its about damn time. But local B/Os don't give a crap when I scolded an asshat for not having the fare and holding up the bus went through 4 empty metrocards before getting to one that worked B/O had the nerve to defend the fool. I was ready to smack the bastard with 4 metrocards

I kicked a farebeater out of anger ppl laughed.

You must take us for fools.....

With as passive as you are on these forums when verbal conflict arises, you know damn well you aint conjure up enough aggression (and balls) to kick someone for the lone act of beating the fare....

I don't know why people do that stupid shit.... leave their tickets in the slot for the seat checks & then doze off, or start reading a newspaper, going on their laptop, etc.... While I can't say if ppl. do that more on the MNRR over the LIRR & NJT RR, it's a dumb practice & easy to get your ticket stolen that way - Which I've seen happen on more than a few occasions.....

This case was a stub ticket that was already on the empty seat from the previous trip. If the conductor has already checked tickets before someone gets on and stub tickets are lying around, one could sit there or take the ticket to another seat and use that to get a free ride.

After a sentence like that.....you need to take your own advice about English 101!

lol, looks like I touched a raw nerve...

As if everyone else wasn't thinking that story was full of holes. It sounded more like a bad attempt at attention grabbing. Really, kick a person out and the person didn't retaliate? I'd be careful if that same guy ends up on that bus... just saying.

=

As for the LIRR thing, I've seen it happen once where a couple tried to take one of those tabs with them to use on the next train, but the c/r told them to leave it in the seat.

As for the LIRR thing, I've seen it happen once where a couple tried to take one of those tabs with them to use on the next train, but the c/r told them to leave it in the seat.

lol..... fail !

Can you tell if they were tourists & were unsure of the policy... Or did it resemble more like two ppl. that knew what they were trying to do ?

Not really sure. I was on the Manhattan bound train and we were transferring at the Huntington station. They could've been students from Stonybrook or (shoppers around Smithtown) and taking the train for the first time. I couldn't tell if they were intentionally trying to take it to use for the future or they just thought it was theirs to keep. The c/r basically said 'please leave the tab alone'. Nothing too threatening.

Archived