Seven dead, including gunman, at Sikh Temple of Wisconsin, hostages taken

Shortline Bus

sikh6n-3-web.jpg

"At least seven people were killed in a shooting at a Sikh Temple outside of Milwaukee, with the presumed gunman among the dead, according to police.

The first officer on the scene exchanged fire with the gunman and killed him, Greenfield Police Chief Bradley Wentland said.

The officer was shot multiple times but is expected to survive.

At least three people were injured in the attack, including the president of the temple, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The police spokesman said authorities believe there was only one gunman involved in the attack that began around 11 a.m., contradicting initial reports of a possible hostage situation.

Wentland asked the media not to broadcast live images of the tactical teams still sweeping the temple.

In New York City, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly dispatched extra officers to Sikh temples around the city in response to the attack."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/report-shooting-sikh-temple-wisconsin-oak-creek-wounded-gunman-loose-article-1.1129430#ixzz22iJEniaA

I read about this earlier this morning, and my condolences go out to the victims and families...

It breaks my heart seeing all these killings and violent acts going on in the world, I always think "Why can't we all get along? Live in peace and be happy?". Unfortunately there are bad people out there and crazy people that are not in the right state of mind and will always hurt, it is because of these people that tragedies like this occur..

I also read that this was a hate crime and the shooter was white in an updated article... Even worse... I learned this year in Global History, that all religions are rather peaceful (there are bad apples, like in any group/demographic) which makes me even sadder... I mean we are all different people, with different views and values, but there is no sense in harming or even taking away the life of someone who has different views from you or are a different religion/race.. This is coming from a peaceful Catholic teen who has respect/love for people of all different cultures/backgrounds..

It appeared like the suspect thought that these Sikhs were Muslim due to the Turban, because the suspect was wearing a 9/11 tatoo. I'm so sick of the perception that Sikhs are Muslim, and I'm disgusted with the stereotype that all terrorists are Muslim. Many politicians and celebrities have in fact cultivated the stereotype that "all terrorists are Muslim" when they talk about "wiping out Muslim extremism." For goodness sakes, there are terrorists from all religions and secular terrorists as well. What was the whole Kony 2012 about? It was about a Christian terrorist.

I'm speaking here as someone who saw what happened to Sikhs and Muslims in my neighborhood after 9/11. I hoped that I'd never see such targeting of religions ever again, but I guess that's too much to ask. :(:(:(

Q10 you may have been too young to remember but what about "white supremacist" i.e Tim Mcveigh with the 1995 OKC Bombing and the 1993 Waco fiscaso?

Back to yesterday tragic mass shooting. The shooter this morning is named Wade Michael Page. Page was rumored to be a "skinhead" or white supremacist who was dishonorable discharged in the late 1990's. Not to mention after being killed by police he was found to have a "Sept. 11" tattoo all over his body. This is awful is generally most people of the Hindu faith are peace loving. Got say when will the bloodshed stop?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/report-shooting-sikh-temple-wisconsin-oak-creek-wounded-gunman-loose-article-1.1129430

Q10 you may have been too young to remember but what about "white supremacist" i.e Tim Mcveigh with the 1995 OKC Bombing and the 1993 Waco fiscaso?

Back to yesterday tragic mass shooting. The shooter this morning is named Wade Michael Page. Page was rumored to be a "skinhead" or white supremacist who was dishonorable discharged in the late 1990's. Not to mention after being killed by police he was found to have a "Sept. 11" tattoo all over his body. This is awful is generally most people of the Hindu faith are peace loving. Got say when will the bloodshed stop?

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1129430

I was one year old when the OKC bombing happened, but I did know that it was caused by a "white supremacist." I'm not too familiar with the Waco siege, but I now know what happened.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1129430

Sikhs are not Hindu. Sikhism and Hinduism are different religions. Sikhism is monotheistic, while Hinduism is polytheistic.

Sikhs are not Hindu. Sikhism and Hinduism are different religions. Sikhism is monotheistic, while Hinduism is polytheistic.

Hey i admit my mistake lol. I still got some learning to do and I have a bachelor's college degree.

Still what this gunmen is horrible and hope he rots in hell. :angry:

Reading into the reports on the incident reveals more about the background of the killer.

Page had been under surveillance by the Southern Poverty Law Center because of his ties to the white supremacist movement as well as his role as the leader of a white-supremacist music band called End Apathy. (The Southern Poverty Law Center is a nonprofit civil rights organization whose mission is towards eradicating hate and bigotry and defending the rights of those who are vunerable in American society.) On top of that he experienced a breakup with a woman he was in a relationship with a couple of months prior to the serial killings he committed. She left him for another person in the band.

He also had a celtic cross tattoo with the number 14 on it - a symbol which represents a certian slogan cited by many white supremacist groups: 'We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.' Click on the link, there's many pics in it that tells a story.

The state of Wisconsin abolished the death penalty a long time ago. So we can't expect the killer to be sentenced to death for the serial killings as much as it is certaintly warranted.

One way or another people will find a way to get guns. Rather than to make it virtually impossible in some states from getting guns and other states being too loose with guns, this should be a federal issue where all states should follow one law.

Basically:

-limit the amount of ammos and guns (say 5 guns/1 of each type: handgun, machine pistol, shotgun, *assault riffle, *sniper rifle)

-every person should undergo some sort of psychological examination to obtain a permit

-a national registration to keep track of each gun + owner based on the gun's serial number

*ideally for those with some police/military backgrounds or more intense testing.

I don't understand why it always has to be the extreme cases vs compromise.

But if only America had MORE GUNS!!! Cause what we really need are MORE GUNS!!!

F**k the NRA.

The butthurt that ensues when the issue of people packing heat is great. When will people learn that criminals always get around gun laws? Where does this irrational thought that everyone with a gun wants to kill people? How come I don't hear any of this stuff occurring in states with lenient gun laws? Why should a person of sound mind suffer because some dick went and shot a public place up?

More law abiding citizens will be armed ready to defend themselves. That in itself will serve as a deterrant from criminals who would otherwise try to victimize those who otherwise try to live a decent and productive life, achieving their goals and dreams. And not interfere with the welfare of their neighbors in the process. Should innocent law abiding citizens walk around helpless to defend themselves? Why do you think the second amendment was put in place to begin with?

Remember Bernard Goetz? I'm sure you remember him. That's where I'm coming from.

More law abiding citizens will be armed ready to defend themselves. That in itself will serve as a deterrant from criminals who would otherwise try to victimize those w try ho otherwiseto live a decent and productive life, achieving their goals and dreams. And not interfere with the welfare of their neighbors in the process. Should innocent law abiding citizens walk around helpless to defend themselves? Why do you think the second amendment was put in place to begin with?

Remember Bernard Goetz? I'm sure you remember him. That's where I'm coming from.

Actually Realizm some(not all!) of the members may not remember or know him (Goetz). Some of the guys in here are teens between 15-21.

I was actually in 6th grade in Dec. 1984 when that infamous Goetz shooting occured.

Back to topic. I am in agreement with Concourse. Guns will never go away but Concourse proposals is a great compromise for the NRA/Pro Gun folks and those for Gun control. It's true sad that no gun laws will ever prevent bad guys from getting them.

However common sense gun laws i.e background check, etc. and limiting it such as no explosive weapons sold to the public makes sense in lowering chances of these masscares.

Archived