[8-4-12] - B35 North & Central Jersey fantrip, plus......

B35 via Church

These are gonna be some long posts (plural), so plz. bear with me.... I'll try to condense this report as much as I can, while still being descriptive.... If you choose to respond to any of em, go right on ahead - You don't have to wait til I'm up to the final part..... I'm not gonna finish this trip report in one day anyway..... It's one of my longest trips in terms of duration in years.....

August 4th, 2012.

The day starts off with a walk along church av (I should've stayed on snyder like I normally do).... of course, at this time a morning on a saturday, I was subjected to the sights of (ugly) women making their way to the party over on 43rd/church - ughk, enough to make you wanna shudder, as well as the wanna be nzzzz's standin on that corner like they're major players.... smh lol .... anyway, I made my way to church av IRT subway, looked up at the arrival board, and saw that I had 17 mins until the train arrived.... early mornin hrs, I'll put up with it..... While I was waiting, I saw some yellow train that was numbered "VT100-103" that passed the station on the manhattan bound platform - Wonder what type of work train that was.... I saw the lights from a distance, I was thinking it was the money train, looking at the odd pattern of headlights & what not..... In any event :

* from 3:36am - 4:02am [26 mins.], I boarded the (2) & took it to Park place

The one thing that kinda bothered me about the ride, was the druggie on the other side of the car that was sitting w/ her feet on the seat..... there was one other passenger on the car I rode in (2nd to last car)..... What was funny was, there was this guy that got on @ Sterling st, and by the time we got to nevins, for w/e reason, he decided to walk on over to the last car of the train..... the druggie got up from her position & followed him to the last car (which meant she crossed my path).... I just smh at the whole thing.... after like 2 mins or so, she made her way back into the car I was in, and then walked over to the next car down...... At around Jay st, this homeless guy switched over from the last car & made his way into the car I was in..... so I went from having a druggie female to a homeless guy, along w/ 2 other pax that boarded at jay....... at wall st, another broad boarded the train..... Outside of that, nothin too interesting about the ride; I spent basically the whole ride doing word find (puzzles).......

As I exited the subway, I made my way to the PATH station.... before I left the crib, I had to make sure PATH ran this early b/c I wasn't sure if it did.... it (the path) propelled me to do somethin I always wanted to do, which I ended up doing/accomplishing.... Anyway, I saw more construction workers & PATH security on street level more than anything.... Made my way to platform level & realized it was far more packed than I expected it to be...... I eventually found a spot to stand & read the printout of a PM I wanted to respond to on here.... but before I found a spot, I saw these two mediterranean broads, and I gotta say, the one that was wearin this tight hot-pink (the color) dress caught my eye like a mf-er..... she was better lookin in the face too (the both of them were rather skinny for my taste though)..... So they were sittin on one stairwell, and I passed that area they were waitin in..... Like 5 mins later, they came in the area I was standing at, and sat on another set of stairs, facing me (some coincidence right)..... about 2-3 mins after that, these 2 white chicks walked down those same stairs those 2 mediterranean chicks were sittin on.... they stood about 7-8 feet away from me - one of em was just as tall as I was, but I had my eye on the shorter one; far better lookin & actually had curves on her....

So yeah, the theme of this part of the trip is party girls... and there were PLENTY of them, on the ride between:

* 4:35 am - 4:55am [20 mins.] on the PATH from WTC to NWK-Penn sta.

I managed to snag that seat on the train where only one person can sit down in, towards the middle of the train, by the end of the particular car (you're enclosed on both sides of the seat).... can't really describe it, but to me, it's easily the best seat in any one traincar - you PATH riders out there might know what I'm referring to...... but continuing on, between the ~10 min layover or w/e, there were these group of black girls that boarded the car I was on.... This one inparticular really showed her ass, in a figurative sense (by that I mean acting a fool).... I think there were about 4 or 5 of them.... Anyway, this is where I put my mp3 player on full blast & started figuring out what would be the best way to split the #62 route, since I posted in a thread earlier on in the week regarding that.... But this chick in question, right away I can tell she was one of these black girls that are heavily into white guys..... EVERY white guy that entered the train she danced in front of and started flirting with - I was hoping she didn't come my way & thank god she didn't..... From the looks of it, on the other end of the train, this chick started dancing in front of 3 other chicks as we were approaching JSQ (1 white, 1 hispanic, 1 filipino-looking), as if to wanna start some sort of dance off..... whole thing reminded me of that corny ass movie "Bring it on"..... Of course, her friends were all boisterous as hell, laughin & shit throughout most of the ride...... but after JSQ, things weren't too bad , as the train started having standees on it..... Never been around Newark around 5am, so that was a first for me.....

So I got off the PATH train & made my way to a TVM; bought tickets for 3 separate bus routes since I was gonna be riding from nwk-penn on two other routes..... I combined two trips into one; thanks to orion vii 4 life's pics of the nabi's in monmouth county, I decided to include another trip to red bank as part of yesterday's trip, just to ride those things, knowing that prior, all they ran on the 830's were those old RTS'..... With that said, with minutes to spare, I finally boarded an NJT#62 that would be going to Perth Amboy... or so I thought....

* Bus #1- NJT #62 (# 5603) from Nwk-penn to EWR courtyard A parking lot 5:10am- 5:30am [20 mins.]

* Bus #2- NJT #62 (# 5656) from EWR courtyard A parking lot to Market/Davidson in Perth Amboy 5:34am- 7:06am [1 hour, 32 mins.]

Okay, the first 62 I took, we got SRO pretty quickly.... most the pax were airport employees.... the b/o was adamant about giving me a receipt, even though I paid by way of a ticket..... I shrugged my shoulders as if to say, you aint goin collect the receipt anyway.... after I retrieved the receipt, I was like, just great, the first bus of the day & I get one of these anal types..... b/w nwk penn itself & the 1st stop on broad st, everyone was sitting.... few ppl got on at other stops afterwards & they were standing.... I'm like usage is like that on these early mornin 62's.....

So we get to EWR (don't know what it is, but I like riding around airports when it's still dark out... guess it's all the lights & the surrounding atmosphere & what not).... during the ride, I notice that we start making a right onto the courtyard parking lot before we hit terminal A.... didn't think much of it at the time, except for the fact that another NABI pulled up alongside us like 2 mins later... Then the b/o makes an announcement basically saying we have to get off the bus & take that next bus; didn't hear exactly what she said, and I still don't know the reason why we had to get off..... I had gotten all comfortable too, lol..... luckily though, even though I was the last person off the 1st bus, I still got a seat towards the back of the bus on the 2nd bus (albeit in the center-most seat, til around the Dowd st stop)....

I forgot to mention that approx 1/2 the pax. from the first #62 got off for the airport shuttle bus that was already waiting there, which left well before we (on the 2nd #62) did.... So we make our way around the airport; not too many pax disembarking, or embarking for the matter.... As we approach ikea, the b/o evaded the speed bumps by driving on the left side of the roadway that leads to the ikea - In other words, he cut through the parking lot... lol... only one person got off (some obese black chick that had the mustard yellow ikea employee shirt on) & one person got on..... Eventually we make our way to elizabeth, and this is where I noticed something quite odd.... It seemed like the b/o knew the route, but didn't know where the stops were - there was this one guy that wanted to get off a block before route 1/9..... instead, the b/o dropped him off all the way on jersey/spring st - and that dude was cursing the whole time - funny stuff...... Also, the b/o was chattin it up w/ this lady that eventually got off in downtown elizabeth; from the time we switched buses to the time she got off, the both of them were yakkin it up......

There wasn't much that happened from that point on.... somewhere in Rahway, some lady had a cab stop right in front the bus, to board the bus.... didn't quite get that, but w/e (to tell the truth, I'm surprised the driver let her on)..... but yeah, managed to see a few 115's & 116's to NY along the ride.... more passengers ringing the bell & the b/o not stopping at the desired stop w/o a "YO" or "right here, right here" to before the fact..... I was kinda worried about this, since I was gettin off in perth amboy before the last stop.... but I was the only person on the bus from Amboy av/440 onward.... I got off at market/davidson (instead of riding it to the last stop), since I started to get a bit thirsty..... I'm so used to hearing drivers saying "I didn't even know you were back there".... As I got off, he was like, don't work ya'self too hard.. take care buddy..... Guess he assumed I worked out there.....

I saw the next bus I wanted to take, but I didn't feel like running back for it, so I waited a little under an hour for the next one..... ventured a bit around NJT Perth Amboy, then walked along smith st & eventually made my way to subway.... got 2 footlong pastrami sammiches (lol) & a large sprite & ate inside the establishment (something I usually don't do) since I had TTK (time to kill)..... as I was eating, I notice there was this chick across the street at this staffing agency staring inside the store & what not..... What was disturbing was, there was a roach on its back lying by the garbage can as I got up to throw the wax paper from the 1st sandwich in the trash.... At that point, I got up & walked out.... crossed the street & made my way to the madison stop, and about 10 mins afterwards I board the next bus......

Which I'll continue to tell y'all about in part 2.... stay tuned !

(comment on this part if you like in the meantime... s'all good)

Wow bro, That's some trip.... LOL at the ugly women part in the beginning... Yeah like you said, Loads of folks party on Saturdays....

LOL at these chicks acting like fools on the PATH.... Why would they be doing that so early on the train.... * Nods head in disbelief *

I know you said you guys had to get off the first 62.... You have any idea why they made you guys switch buses?

Anyways, Can't wait to read part 2! :)

Wow bro, That's some trip.... LOL at the ugly women part in the beginning... Yeah like you said, Loads of folks party on Saturdays....

LOL at these chicks acting like fools on the PATH.... Why would they be doing that so early on the train.... * Nods head in disbelief *

I know you said you guys had to get off the first 62.... You have any idea why they made you guys switch buses?

Anyways, Can't wait to read part 2! :)

Rather interesting and funny! Can't wait for part 2! :lol:

Lol... thanks fellas.... I have been holding out on these reports as of late (checkmate, I know I still gotta post the other red bank trip you asked about... bear with me bro).... I just don't like posting times & bus routes & bus numbers - that's BORING....

NYCtrainfan, nah, I still don't know why we had to get off... it's the strangest thing.... at least the b/o apologized though.

When the bus pulled up in lane 3a in newark (its usual spot), the bus was signed as going to perth amboy, so it defintely wasn't a short turn.....

Well at least the first set of women (the white ones) were good to look at and tolerable. I go nuts in Path ride if those crazy wannabe shaken girls went at it if rode the train all i want to hear is the annocement esecally "The Next stop is Harrison" for some reason i love to hear it especally hearing harrison. Can wait for part 2. I think all of this forum should give B35 a beer for this story you probably need one after that ride

By the way, I still got the receipt from the 1st 62 I boarded.... I'll scan it & post it on the last part of the report.

Well at least the first set of women (the white ones) were good to look at and tolerable. I go nuts in Path ride if those crazy wannabe shaken girls went at it if rode the train all i want to hear is the annocement esecally "The Next stop is Harrison" for some reason i love to hear it especally hearing harrison. Can wait for part 2. I think all of this forum should give B35 a beer for this story you probably need one after that ride

The only announcement I heard is when the train entered JSQ, and I didn't even hear all of it, since that black chick was busy actin a fool.... everything b/w WTC & JSQ, I aint hear anything... b/w those party chicks & me drowning out most of the noise w/ my mp3 player.....

Haha... I'm not a drinker, but after the full report, I'll probably need a 12pack !

I like it . Very descriptive. I had to LOL on the 62 cutting through the parking lot part, because what if you don't see a car and you hit it. Can't wait for part two

Oh, those 62's cut through the parking lot a lot.... it's usually on the right side though (opposite the ikea & the toys r us)....

Really can't say I blame those drivers - there's like 4-5 speed bumps w/i a couple yards of each other before it reaches the 1st stop after it u-turns.....

all the buses used to travel the length of ikea rd & u-turn @ the end.... but only the academy (ikea) shuttle buses do that now.... that whole stretch of road has like 6-7 speed bumps.... it's ridiculous....

The part about the woman with the cab reminds me of the time when a neighbor drove me over to the bus stop, and she literally blocks the bus in and shouts "Wait! I have a passenger." Of course, I had to keep my mouth shut if I ever expected a lift again, but I was just SMH. Like, really? You couldn't have just drove me a couple of stops further down (since she was headed in that general direction anyway)? Makes me glad I found this icon: ahhhhhhh.gif But maybe this would suffice: facepalm.gif

The part about the woman with the cab reminds me of the time when a neighbor drove me over to the bus stop, and she literally blocks the bus in and shouts "Wait! I have a passenger." Of course, I had to keep my mouth shut if I ever expected a lift again, but I was just SMH. Like, really? You couldn't have just drove me a couple of stops further down (since she was headed in that general direction anyway)? Makes me glad I found this icon: ahhhhhhh.gif But maybe this would suffice: facepalm.gif

I was thinking the exact same thing (while I was on the bus)....

Why couldn't she just ask the cab driver to drive a few stops down; it was still w/i the confines of Rahway....

With this cab, the bus was at a red light, and the cab pulled up out of nowhere.....

She got off screaming "hey hey", waving both hands up in the air.... It wasn't a designated bus stop.....

*** (continued from part 1) ***

At that point, I got up & walked out.... crossed the street & made my way to the madison stop ("shooing" away gnats in the process by that bench), and about 10 mins afterwards I (and two other hispanic women) board the next bus......

* NJT #817 (# 1186) from Smith / Madison (Perth Amboy) to "Campbell's Junction"....

8:04am- 9:18am [1 hour, 14 mins.]

Main reason I like fanning this route is, for one, the ride over the bridge b/w perth amboy & south amboy - that is a nice view of the surrounding area..... As well as the way it serves that pocket of central jersey w/o making many stops.... Anyway, I can tell you right now that there were never more than 10 people at any one point on this ride..... Most the ppl. that boarded in perth amboy, either rode within perth amboy or got off at route 35/route 9 (4 females, 1 of which that boarded w/ me got off at this stop) - the 1st stop after it crosses the bridge....

I was gonna eat my 2nd pastrami sandwich, but never did b/c I figured the pastrami done got cold.... still had my soda though, which held me over until I got to Red Bank.... But yeh, I'd say between laurence hbr & union beach, we went nonstop... picked up a few ppl. in union beach (by the beach, it looks like the locals were setting up some type of event), and then we went nonstop again from union beach to keansburg.... riding the 817, you kinda do feel like you're going around in circles, but it's the only local route in the area, so I suppose that's what best serves the riders...... In any event, you started seeing more activity once we hit keansburg (meaning more ppl. walking about & ppl embarking/disembarking the bus).... By time we hit campbell's junction, there were only 4 ppl. that got off the bus (myself included)....

As I was waiting for the #834 to Red Bank, within minutes, I saw a NABI pull up (said to myself, yup, there they are).... it was a bus going the other direction though.... one guy walked across the road (it's the same bus stop for the 834 in both directions) to catch that bus..... the NABI's looked awkward, being that I was so used to seeing the RTS' on the route.... anyway, the bus stalled there for about 5 mins or so, til the bus I boarded (the reason I even inserted/included a trip to this part of central jersey) showed up:

* NJT #834 (# 6134) from "Campbell's Junction" to Red Bank RR.... 9:28am- 9:49am [21 mins.]

{btw, the 834 to atlantic highlands usually comes before the 834 to red bank, so I was used to that}....

For more info on this portion of the trip, read this post I made in another thread... No need for me to repeat it:

http://www.nyctransi...es/#entry566199

Only thing I'll add is, when I got on the 834, there were about 10-15 ppl that were already on the bus.... Also, there was more ppl getting on/off the bus along the ride.... the ride felt longer than 21 mins due to the amt. of stops we were making - but luckily, traffic along rt 35 wasn't too too bad, and all the restaurant-goers haven't made their way to red bank yet (which is another reason I didn't wanna spend too long in red bank, knowing that all the ppl. driving around the downtown area gets crazy..... I decided to ride the bus along the (narrow) monmouth st (which is where a lot of the shopping & dining is done) the RR station, instead getting off along riverside av & walking (like two of the locals did... lol).....

One small thing I'll guess I'll mention also is, I like the fact that the buses out of the veolia garage come equipped with a garbage bag tied somewhere on the bus - came in handy when I was lightening the load off my bookbag... too many old ass newspapers, napkins, and (duplicates of) route timetables I had in there..... Some of Suffolk county's buses have garbage bins or bags in em as well..... One thing we aint seeing too much of, if at all, on no NYC bus... you might see a garbage bin on our expresses, but that is rare.....

So I'm at the RR station & see another NABI parked at the bus stop a few feet ahead... seems to me like there's no rhyme or reason to which bus picks up @ either of the 2 stops at the RR station..... But yeah, there was a NABI powered off at the stop ahead of where the 834 I got off, parked.... the driver of the 834 I had & the driver of the bus that was powered off (which was the bus I eventually boarded btw) started walking towards the store themselves.... A few minutes passes, and the drivers make their way to their respective buses..... an 835 (yep, a nabi) to sea bright pulls into the terminal during this time as well.... Driver powers on the bus, I was waiting to see if it was the bus I needed... sure enough, it was the:

* NJT #831 (# 6127) from Red Bank RR to Long Branch RR (FULL ROUTE)....

10:00am- 10:42am [42 mins.]

I thought about taking the #837 again, but I REALLY didn't feel like being bothered w/ Asbury park (well that, and I knew I wanted to venture elsewhere, later on)..... The ride this time on the 831 seemed a little quicker than most the other times I fanned this route.... it usually slows b/w red bank & monmouth park mall; basically what I'm alluding to is, the upper 1/2 of the route is where it sees more riders.... At the mall itself, we met up w/ an 831 towards red bank.... I'd say out of 15 ppl that were waiting for a bus, 1/2 of them got on the red bank bus, 1 person got on our bus, and the rest waited for the 832....

Maybe it's b/c it was a little early, but there was hardly anyone that got off or on rt 36....... the one thing I like about fanning out to long branch, is that ya get to see those fancy apartments along ocean blvd - funny seeing the DOT signage reading "heavy pedestrian traffic" - you do see mad cars parked on the property; more fancier/out-of-the-ordinary cars too..... When the bus got to ocean blvd, there was 1 other passenger aboard that got off @ long branch RR w/ me.....

Getting off this bus meant the end of my time busfanning in central jersey for the day.....So you know what that means.... Railfan time! I started gettin thirsty again at this point, but I really didn't wanna stop off in the rite aid close by.... After purchasing a ticket (and getting a wad of dollar coins, since the ticket was 11 bucks & I only had $20's & singles [which I was saving for bus fare]), I just sat on the benches at the front of the RR station & watched the train to Bay head pull off.... about 10 mins later, a bi-level came in to the station - so many ppl. w/ luggages & big backpacks and what not....

There's a shuttle bus that stops at the station (I see these at asbury park when I head out there too), but I'm not sure where these buses go exactly; Shore EZ ride are the name of the things IIRC.... The buses are white, and the secondary colors are blue & some funny lookin green.... Outside of folks waitin for someone to pick them up in cars, there were plenty ppl. waiting for the shuttle also...... few mins after the bi-level train left the station, a train coming in from Bay head entered the station - which filled up the platform (which made me get up outta my seat, so I can position myself for the best chance at a good [meaning, forward facing upper level] seat before the train pulls in).....

Eventually I board the:

* NJCL from Long Branch to Newark-Penn Station.... 11:08am- 12:23am [1 hour, 15 mins.]

....and I'll commence in telling y'all about this ride (and the last leg of my stint in New Jersey) in part 3

(As always, post ya comments in the meantime...)

0002.gif Givin y'all a heads up..... I'm not sure if I'm gonna post part 4, onward here in the NJT section

(nor do I know how many parts I'm gonna end up having... LOL :lol: )......

I've been on the 62 twice when the driver will turn left into the parking lot to go to Ikea and turn around it saves time haha i love that.

I know right....

Considering what the #62 has to go through, any time saving measures (that are safe, of course) I have no problems w/ a b/o partaking in...

I've read your link to the other report about he NABI's.... You rode 17 different buses? Someone's had a long day lol... Do you think the folks in NJ like the new NABI's? I can't wait for part three!

- Yes sirrr.... The [2] NJT #62's & 15 other bus routes..... Like I mentioned earlier, I combined 2 trips I wanted to do into one long one.... Had I not read the news & seen those pics regarding nabi's in monmouth county, I'd have spent more time fanning in N. Jersey (which I might do this coming saturday if I'm up for it)...... What I did after the last leg of my stint in New Jersey was 100% freelance/unplanned, because I didn't feel like coming home.... See, I have this thing about ending fantrips in early afternoon hours - to give an analogy, it's like flying all the way out to some country in Asia, only to vacay' for a day there.... lol......

- Well it's hard to tell with one day/one trip.... but what I can say is, I don't get the sense that they aren't in favor of the new buses out there.... As was said by another poster, with new equipment does tend to come newfound ridership (how long it lasts though, is something else... lol).... The whole "something new" craze (as I like to call it) intrigues people in general.....

Good for those folks in Monmouth county.

*** (continued from part 2) ***

Eventually I board the:

* NJCL from Long Branch to Newark-Penn Station.... 11:08am- 12:23pm [1 hour, 15 mins.]

So I manage to find a seat in the 2nd (passenger) car.... I was kinda surprised at how filthy this car was; soda bottles, wax papers w/ condiment stains on em, and other misc. papers scattered about..... the seat behind the one I sat in had a ginger ale can on it.... Anyway, as I started doing my word find puzzles, the one thing I found annoying were the lovebirds that were sitting about 4 rows ahead of me on the opposite side (where those paired seats face each other).... bw/wm - and of course, the black chick kept periodically looking back at me (she was decent lookin in the face, but w/e); you'd think ppl. get the msg after a couple dirty looks..... What was funny was, there was a dude that was getting off at monmouth park (first couple cars only).... this guy should have been in the olympics with how fast he was running down the aisle - what broke his stride was a good ole ketchup or hot sauce (it was something red that spewed out afterwards) packet on the floor.... he tripped, I just smh... Apparently he wasn't hurt, since he got right back up & started darting off....

We reach Red Bank, and oddly enough, I saw 2 of the same people wandering about the station as I did when I was in the area an hour or so prior (a chick pushing a stroller & some other random guy.... not sure if they were waiting for rides, b/c I doubt they were waiting for a bus.... Hazlet, no one was waiting at the station.... But when we got to Aberdeen-Matawan, I was like holy shit - from the middle of the platform to the front, that bad boy was PACKED..... I don't know what was goin on, but it looked like a fair or a swap meet was goin on in the parking lot.... This was when I stopped hearing smooching noises from the couple ahead of me, as the car started getting more ppl (conversing) on it......

I stopped doing my puzzles around this time too b/c I started feeling groggy (hate to say this, but that's gonna be the theme of this last leg of the NJ portion of the trip).... Remember, I left around 3am.... lol.... after we approached S. Amboy, I don't know what happened, as I dozed off.... But I will say I woke up as the train was passing N. Elizabeth, while wondering where the hell my seat check went..... I look under my bag & check on the floor & there it was..... as we approached EWR (about 2 mins later after I found the seat check), the c/r took it.... I chuckled to myself, as I was getting myself situated in getting off the train...... So we reach Nwk-Penn, but of course, this bummy looking group of ppl. blocked up the door with luggage that was about 3 feet high (I'm still tryna figure out what the hell was in that thing)..... I'm like come on, move this stuff out the way (knowing I had a bus to catch).....

I make my way to lane 2B.... but realizing I have about a handfulla mins, I grab a sprite real quick & make my way back.... A bus powers on, and within seconds I hop aboard:

* NJT #70 (# 9537) from Nwk-penn to Livingston Mall (FULL weekend ROUTE).... 12:32pm- 1:59pm [1 hour, 27 mins.]

The weekend 70's don't loop around florham park.... Anyway, this is a route I always wanted to ride full, but never got around to doing so....

The ride b/w Newark & springfield blvd was nothin special, and there's wasn't too many ppl. gettin off along this part... but by the time we hit springfield was when the riders started piling on.... bit of traffic along the way, but nothin severe or anything.... eventually we pass irvington bus terminal (bleh); just glad we didn't go in it - hate that immediate area.... We spent most the time running in front of/in back of a #25 - there were a few folks I noticed that got off the 25 & boarded the 70.... What got to me was the drastic change in scenery/atmosphere once we turned off springfield (I said to myself "wellp, welcome to suburbia)..... I started dozing off along couple min. intervals on this bus also, but immediately kept awake after the bus slammed on the brakes somewhere around summit...... Then we come up on a mall I dread, which is Short Hills..... I didn't see any old couples wearing minks this time around, nor did I see the valets.... lol.... Quite a bit of ppl got off here though, including this filipino family of like 7 (I swear one of those kids looked like gonzo from the muppet babies)......

The sweetest part of the ride was the nonstop portion b/w Short Hills mall & Livingston mall.... longer than expected, but man did we fly along this mahfu***..... I can't describe it in text, but there's a certain sound a bus makes when a b/o is leadfooting it - and to myself, I was like "now that's how you drive.... from now on, that's how you drive" (bonus points if anyone can tell me what movie that line is from & who said it).... lol.... So we halfway make the turn into the terminal area, and the b/o opens the doors to let everyone off.... I've never been to Livingston mall, and it got to me how much land area it takes up..... thought it was smaller.... I didn't have enough time to go inside (guess I'll do that some other time if I'm interested enough).....

I managed to see a coach bus & another NJT bus..... The 70 that I got off, basically dropped us off, then picked up & left (no layover).... I didn't know what bus stop to stand in, but out of nowhere, it felt like it got 10 degrees hotter once I made my way to the shelter (where most the ppl. were at).... I didn't know there was a bus that went from NYC to this mall; community coach bus 77 IIRC.... I have to say, the terminal area sucks balls - smh at where it puts you off at..... In any event, the raggedy ole coach bus (rts) powers on, and I (and a couple rowdy/noisy teens) board:

* Coach Bus route #31 (# 31093) from Livingston Mall to Nwk-penn (FULL ROUTE).... 2:03pm- 3:01pm [58 mins.]

There was a good little nonstop on this route also b/w the mall & a hospital we looped in & out of....1 person got off there, and then we flew from that point straight to S. Orange.... Never been on this route before either; nice little compact route b/w newark & south orange, then basically nonstop to livingston..... Now I'm not gonna lie, when we got to S. Orange, I felt like I was back home on the B35 ! Loud, boisterous people, this one dude in particular arguing w/ his baby momma about rent (lmao), this one (fat) chick eatin jerk chicken & throwin shit out the window, and a group of teens blastin this one particular song @ the back of the bus (I don't listen to this new age stuff anymore, but it sounded like one of these chris brown type singers).....

The ridership on this route started growing, the closer we got to broad st actually got to a point where there were several ppl. standing on the bus at one point - until we hit broad of course, where about 80% of the bus got off.... funny really, one chick was like "hurry up nzzzz damn".... Anyway, we reach newark-penn, and I make my way to the next lane I have to board at.... look at the schedule & I'm like aw damn, I got 40 some'n mins to kill.... So what I end up doing it walking along the rail platforms (ended up seeing some homeless guy wandering about.... he gave me a look as if to say 'what you doin on my territory, don't no one wait over here fo the train'; I believe it was the platform of track 3 I walked the length of.... saw a couple bi-levels, an amtrak train, but I didn't see the PATH..... Eventually I made my way back to the main level were all the little stores are at & what not.... (I) Almost got hit by one of those vehicles that carry ppl's luggages; who's dropping their luggages off inside nwk-penn anyway; is that for amtrak passengers or something? it was an orange vehicle, like they have at the airport......

Killed enough time where I felt like I had to make my way back to the bus lane... I noticed that there was this transit cop that was goin in & out of buses & having the drivers sign some type of paper.... Sure enough he went inside of the bus I was about to embark on - the bus pulled up into lane 3a was the:

* NJT #76 (# 5756) from Nwk-penn to Hackensack bus terminal (FULL ROUTE).... 3:45pm- 4:45pm [1 hour]

Since I was the first person in line (well to be honest, I never got on line.... I simply stood in front of the door), I shifted to the side so the officer could get off.... he waves me on, I give the ticket to the driver - turns out the sumbitch was checking to see who had fake passes.... This one hispanic guy who got on the back w/ me, we were lookin at each other just shrugging our shoulders at this guy (the officer); as if to say 'is this really necessary'.....

Eventually we pull off, and since I've taken this route before, I know how long & drawn out it is.... After we hit the newark-broad st station, this bus was PACKED.... We made a turn onto I-280 to cross over the creek, ane ran up passaic av to the regular route; basically a diversion due to construction..... and after that, I fell asleep - a brotha was tired at this point, so I can't tell y'all what happened along most of this route.... I ended up waking up around the Essex st RR station w/ about 10-15 ppl on the bus or so....

We get to the bus terminal, and I head on over to the arabic lady behind the register to purchase a ticket for the next bus I was about to take..... I then headed outside & sat on one of the benches to enjoy what little breeze there was (with my head down, sitting next to some lady)..... Then out of nowhere, a bus pulls up along river st - I darted out of my seat, luckily there was one passenger waiting to board the bus, or else I'd have been waitin for like another 1/2 hour.... This was:

* NJT #178 (# 5236) from Hackensack bus terminal to GWB bus terminal (FULL ROUTE).... 4:50pm- 5:33pm [43 mins.]

Good thing I bought a ticket for the 178, b/c I was kinda worried that the 182 would show first - That's another reason why I was waiting inside the terminal instead of outside the terminal (along river st)... the 178 picks up outside the terminal, the 182 picks up inside.... Nothing much to talk about on this ride; we didn't make all that many stops (which is a good thing), but when we hit downtown Englewood, god damn at the amount of people - you'd have thought it was 34th st in manhattan...... I'm like, aw damn, this bus goin get packed too..... I'd say the bus went from having 5 ppl on it to 25 ppl. on it - and there were still about 20 ppl. or so still waiting for the coach bus back to PABT (I'm assuming)..... a group of 40 somethings (females) were cackling amongst each other & almost got hit - incredible at the stupidity, with the amt of vehicles in the immediate area.... just goes to show it aint just the teenagers texting that aren't aware of their surroundings...... I tell you, you get a bunch a women together, especially when they're shopping, and they become oblivious to everything that's around them..... I'm like y'all old asses aint good lookin to the point where traffic is goin stop just for you - I can see the wrinkles on ya flesh through the bus window, imagine how bad it is if I see it up close & personal !!!

I was hoping for the 178 over the 182 b/c it has that stretch along rt. 4, enroute to bridge plz (the 182 doesn't do this... it makes local stops w/i Ft. Lee).... We get to bridge plz, and no jitneys around or anything (I'm used to seeing them in that area).... few ppl. get off, no one gets on...... The b/o must've had to take a mean piss or something, b/c after we passed the toll booth, homeboy was OUT.... we were passing vehicles left & right...... myself & this other guy ended up waking up some dude that was sitting in-between us in the back row, he thanked the other guy, but said nothin to me... I'm like w/e to that.....

Well, I did what I set out to do ladies & gents....

* Rode the new NABI's out in monmouth county

* Rode the #70 & #31 combination b/w nwk-penn & livingston mall......

Hope you guys enjoyed the New Jersey leg of my trip..... The "plus" part of my trip, is that I continue fanning in NY after all this.. lol.....

....btw, here's a scan of the #62 receipt:

113m.gif

0002.gif The rest of the trip report will continue in the MTA New york city Bus section of the forum.

Hope y'all enjoyed the read thus far, and will continue to do so w/ the rest of the trip report...

I'll update with links in both threads for cross-referencing purposes

th_thumbs-up.gif

Anyway, we reach newark-penn, and I make my way to the next lane I have to board at.... look at the schedule & I'm like aw damn, I got 40 some'n mins to kill....

Damn. If the route was that crowded, you'd think they'd run it more often than every hour.

I'm like, aw damn, this bus goin get packed too..... I'd say the bus went from having 5 ppl on it to 25 ppl. on it.

Was it a minibus or what? (Or were you just expecting more people to get on than actually did, considering the crowds outside)

Damn. If the route was that crowded, you'd think they'd run it more often than every hour.

Was it a minibus or what? (Or were you just expecting more people to get on than actually did, considering the crowds outside)

- The #31... yeh, I wonder how much usage it gets on the weekday (and how often it runs)..... From the looks of things, it looks to be a popular route.....

- The #178, nah, no minibuses - 'twas a 2009 NABI suburban (its counterpart [if you wanna call it that] the #182, sometimes runs MCI's)....

At that stop in Englewood, I was hoping that everyone (or at the least, the vast majority) that were crammed there didn't get on.....

Very intresting time you had in NJ.... Part three had me laughing alot with all the funny stuff you were saying... Like the old chicks and the B/O needing to take a mean piss or something lol... I'll be on the look out for part 4 in the NYC bus forums! :)

Glad you enjoyed the read, bro ;)

- The #31... yeh, I wonder how much usage it gets on the weekday (and how often it runs)..... From the looks of things, it looks to be a popular route.....

- The #178, nah, no minibuses - 'twas a 2009 NABI suburban (its counterpart [if you wanna call it that] the #182, sometimes runs MCI's)....

At that stop in Englewood, I was hoping that everyone (or at the least, the vast majority) that were crammed there didn't get on.....

I was talking about the #76, since you said you had about 40 minutes to kill at Newark Penn (I'm guessing it's an hourly route).

And yeah, the thing with the #178 reminds me of a time when I passed by Ralph's Ices on the S44 and was like "Crap. How crowded is this bus going to get?". And then nobody gets on (I was used to the crowds, but just not at that time of the day).

I was talking about the #76, since you said you had about 40 minutes to kill at Newark Penn (I'm guessing it's an hourly route).

The headways on that route (#76) on saturdays is irregular (that much I knew).... But looking up at the posted schedule @ the bus lanes, I had just missed the 3:00 trip....

Not sure how well the #30 & the #40 does w/i Kearny & E. Newark, but I always thought the #76 should run every 1/2 hour, middays, on saturdays.... plenty of ppl are riding from newark to areas past that (awkward) terminal in N. Arlington - which reminds me of where the S89 & S54 ends; the terminal is on a corner structured like that.....

Archived