Fixing the M60 Route from Delays?

aemoreira81

How about extending the Q50 to LGA making LTD stops from Flushing? It would give the East Bronx a one fare connection to LGA and CitiField. It would also save the MTA in operating costs if they can eventually reduce service on the Q48 and help relive the M60 (since many M60 riders come from the Bronx).

The Q50 as I see it would become too long. My plan would have the Q48 take on the Q103 and the Q19 (the Q69 would also take part of the Q19 as well). My Q48 plan would keep the route to 75 minutes maximum, and make an underutilized route useful. The only major expense is that where the Q103 is, that route would now get 7-day-a-week service.

It would run every 17 minutes, requiring 9 buses. As for extending the Q48 down the Q103, Costco (at Vernon and Broadway), currently served only by the Q104 outside of weekdays, would be a major ridership generator with traffic to and from it from Astoria and Long Island City.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about extending the Q50 to LGA making LTD stops from Flushing? It would give the East Bronx a one fare connection to LGA and CitiField. It would also save the MTA in operating costs if they can eventually reduce service on the Q48 and help relive the M60 (since many M60 riders come from the Bronx).

I don't see it takin riders off M60's in any significant numbers.... But in bringing this up, would you truncate Q50's back to Pelham bay park? b/c as was inferred, an all out LGA to co-op route might be too long to justify the extension being worth it.... even if it means reducing service on the 48 !

The Q50 as I see it would become too long. My plan would have the Q48 take on the Q103 and the Q19 (the Q69 would also take part of the Q19 as well). My Q48 plan would keep the route to 75 minutes maximum, and make an underutilized route useful. The only major expense is that where the Q103 is, that route would now get 7-day-a-week service.

It would run every 17 minutes, requiring 9 buses. As for extending the Q48 down the Q103, Costco (at Vernon and Broadway), currently served only by the Q104 outside of weekdays, would be a major ridership generator with traffic to and from it from Astoria and Long Island City.

NYCT routes have a minimum 30 minute headway guideline (with very few exceptions, but no route will exist at 75 during the day or during the evening 35-40 is pushing it)

NYCT routes have a minimum 30 minute headway guideline (with very few exceptions, but no route will exist at 75 during the day or during the evening 35-40 is pushing it)

The route duration would be 75 minutes. I did mention 17 minute headways, but it's do-able at 20 minute headways because it can always be interlined with another route at the Flushing end.

The M61 in my plan would also be every 20 minutes to maintain 10-minute headways on local between Marine Air Terminal and 31 Street.

As for the Q48, after 31 Street, it would turn left at 27 Street and return to Astoria Boulevard there to proceed to Long Island City. Service down Vernon Boulevard would end after 10:40 PM, however, and the last few trips would terminate at the end of Astoria Boulevard at 8 Street (that is, the last trip leaving for Long Island City would depart Flushing at 9:25 PM, and leave LIC at 10:50 PM.

I don't see it takin riders off M60's in any significant numbers.... But in bringing this up, would you truncate Q50's back to Pelham bay park? b/c as was inferred, an all out LGA to co-op route might be too long to justify the extension being worth it.... even if it means reducing service on the 48 !

The Q50 would need to be split into two routes since the Q50 is needed in Co Op City. The Q51 could run from Pelham Bay Park to LGA at 30 minute headways. The Q50 would remain the same. It would have to be Q50/Q51 to keep this MTA Bus.

Some special trips (Q50 or Q51) could do the full route (Co Op City - LGA) like Bx38 to Fordham Center 192 St and Bx2 to Riverdale 231 St.

The Q50 would need to be split into two routes since the Q50 is needed in Co Op City. The Q51 could run from Pelham Bay Park to LGA at 30 minute headways. The Q50 would remain the same. It would have to be Q50/Q51 to keep this MTA Bus.

Some special trips (Q50 or Q51) could do the full route (Co Op City - LGA) like Bx38 to Fordham Center 192 St and Bx2 to Riverdale 231 St.

As long as you realize that....

• 1 month later...

I also disagree.

Q50 and Q48 will not help relieve crowd on M60.

Most folks including tourists take M60 or Q33 most.

Only people or English speakers who knows will take Q33, Q72 or Q48 whatever it comes first to nearby train station.

If there was METS Game or US Open, Q50 might get more bunch up along Roosevelt Av plus Flushing nightmare.

I was thinking of Q23 follows Q48 pattern of Central Terminal area and while Crescent Apartment-bound bus will use Ditmars Blvd from 94th St to 102nd St.

With permission from PANY&NJ, Q23 could layover with airport shuttle buses.

When I was at JFK Airport`s Shuttle Bus Depot, I saw MTA Bus laying over with them.

I was also thinking of Q69 extending to Marine Air Terminal only.

Q69 LGA-bound could follow Q47 route.

Q69 LIC-bound could follow Q47 to Astoria Blvd, regular Q69 route.

Have anyone notice Transit Signal Priority at Astoria Blvd/30th St?

Maybe all TSP should be install along 125th St and maybe it could speed up bus more.

I know it not going to happened. Maybe PANY&NJ should consider providing free shuttle bus to Astoria Blvd (N)(Q) station non stop because most tourists coming off their flight to board M60 only goes to nearest subway station most which is Astoria Blvd station.

Maybe, this might relieve crowds on M60.

What's sad is that he bumped the other thread as a way to prevent others from replying here...

I know right? You dont see any other staff doing that.. SMH!

TBH I think a new thread was a good idea. Anything older then a month should just be sh9t canned.

Thoughts?

It already "acts" as a LTD in Queens, and there's virtually nothin you could do to speed up the M60 in Manhattan....

....that, and just about every intersection is a major xfer point along 125th east of Amsterdam.... that general reason is why you don't have limiteds on the crosstown manhattan routes.

The traffic on 125 would probably render it useless. But a variant that made only LGA, (N) and (4) would probably work.

What do you mean by that, fam ?

First add Bus lanes on 125th Street (St. Nicholas to 1st Avenue), then we talk about Limited or other improvements. And even if its Limited, im pretty sure it ill make all stops on 125th Street due to major transfer points.

This. I don't know how much good it'll do, but I think 125th St really needs a bus lane, between Amsterdam and 2nd Av. If Weekday/Rush Hour parking has to be sacrificed to make a curbside lane, than so be it.

[i do think there should also be some way to speed up boarding for the 125th St routes, but that's another story]

What's sad is that he bumped the other thread as a way to prevent others from replying here...
TBH I think a new thread was a good idea. Anything older then a month should just be sh9t canned.

I only bumped the older thread because I figured it could still be relevant and it'd avoid rehashing of the same points, but I guess a new thread is better.

What do you mean by that, fam ?

Exactly that - a sort of super express from LGA, to Astoria Blvd (N)(Q), to 125th St (4)(5)(6). It's a crazy idea. Crazy, in a good way:)

I know it not going to happened, maybe Port Authority of New York and New Jersey consider poviding free shuttle bus non-stop to Astoria Blvd Station, where most folks at LGA Airport uses (M60) or (Q33) most to closest stations.

Only people who sees transportation map at LGA City Bus pickup used other bus from (Q48), (Q72), or (Q47) to subway station.

Also PANY&NJ needs to updated Q47 sign that says JACKSON HEIGHTS-ROOSEVELT AV and put to GLENDALE and add 69th St (7) Station, as well.

Archived