Straphangers Find Etiquette Takes A Pounding On Station Stairs

mark1447

Must have been sleepwalking...

Back on topic. I can't stand doorway hogs either if that's what you mean. They insist on standing by the doorway. On an empty train. How about idiots who like to hog stairways? They think the whole world must wait on them. Pacing ever so slowly up or down the middle of the stairs like this is a Sunday afternoon stroll. They don't care about those who need to get to places at a certain time. That's very annoying.

You should see Broadway Junction during rush hours...

Everyone going down those escalators usually stay to the right when going down to let the people walk down on the left. But there's always that one person (or group of people) who stands on the left and blocks up the entire escalator.

...and for that reason, I usually take the stairs going down...or an escalator that isn't moving

Hey Fresh Pond I agree with you on the escalator etiquette. When i dont want to stand there and wait the whole time, i like to move up the moving stairs. When i see people block the left for no reason, I usually shout at them politely saying" stay to the right if you are not moving". After that these people move to the right because they should know better earlier it alway work for me. Sometime i usually give a grunting "excuse me" to get out of my way when there room to stay on right.

I have to agree with someone who posted this is not one way. i hated that when it like that in tunnel between the 42 street shuttle and 8 avenue station with the PABT. I hated that crowd of tunnel. No matter which way you go you have to fight yourself thru the crowd.

Can I ask what in the bleeding hell Microsoft vs. Apple has to do with this?

I'd be glad to shove a person holding the doors out. Or something. Then him and his buddies can all get on the next train together instead of snarling everyone's commute.

And then after you shove him and he's able to get a hold of the doors again before they close he and his buddies will come and beat the living shit out of you.

I got into a shoving match with some lady a couple of weeks ago at 42nd & 6th. A train had just emptied out and it was only people coming up the stairs while I had to get down. It isn't one way so people need to get with the program and move. I'm not going to be late for work because some a**holes won't move out of the way.

The tunnel between 5th & 6th Avenue can be ridiculous also. If there's a huge crowd coming down in one the direction they almost try to rail the opposite direction into the wall. Move the F over. Once again it isn't one way.

I have a trick for that maneuver and it's called stopping dead in my tracks and not moving until they start moving out of my way since they're coming up the part of the stairs that is supposed to be for folks coming down onto the platform. At 6'4" 210 pounds, I'm not exactly easy to move as some folks have found out the hard way. As for folks coming up the stairs, I just let them go because I am not going to be banged into which I most certainly don't take kindly to so I let everyone go and then I go up the stairs. Best way to avoid any altercations. Then you have the @holes that think they're cute and purposely step in front of you so that you have to keep trying to move around them to get by and then they cock block. I have shoved a few @holes like that when I get really pissed off because they know very well what they're doing. I still chuckle about the guy that walked dead smack into my shoulder. Got him square in the nose too.

You should see Broadway Junction during rush hours...

Everyone going down those escalators usually stay to the right when going down to let the people walk down on the left. But there's always that one person (or group of people) who stands on the left and blocks up the entire escalator.

...and for that reason, I usually take the stairs going down...or an escalator that isn't moving

I hate when that happens as well. Usually when I ask the person to 'move over' most of the time they will move out. What really sucks are those narrow escalators like at HS where you are pretty much stuck unless the person in front moves up.

For going down the stairs, most people will eventually move to the side to let me pass. But if it does come down to it, I will shove if people don't get out of my way. Leave one friggin side open!

>But the temptation of saving a few seconds can be too great. Someone dashes to the left and the crowds often follow.

Often the problem is not someone dashing, but even worse, moving slowly at the same speed as those on the right. The crowds, then fan out to cover the whole stairway. If you're going to move at the same speed, then you might as well stay behind those on the right, but I guess no one wants to wait in basically a "line".

Then, you have people who are together, who have to be next to each other to talk, or whatever, and occasionally, someone who goes down or hovers in a way where it's hard to pass on either side.

When I'm walking in a hurry, I often wish I could just cut through the 4th dimension to get around them without breaking my stride.

>But the temptation of saving a few seconds can be too great. Someone dashes to the left and the crowds often follow.

Often the problem is not someone dashing, but even worse, moving slowly at the same speed as those on the right. The crowds, then fan out to cover the whole stairway. If you're going to move at the same speed, then you might as well stay behind those on the right, but I guess no one wants to wait in basically a "line".

Then, you have people who are together, who have to be next to each other to talk, or whatever, and occasionally, someone who goes down or hovers in a way where it's hard to pass on either side.

When I'm walking in a hurry, I often wish I could just cut through the 4th dimension to get around them without breaking my stride.

Yes, I walk fast. I ride my small razor and whizz around people on the sidewalk (that is timeless). I walk around, pull out of crowds. A moving walkway would be awesome from PABT to TSQ!

Archived