Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
pelhamlocal

Some Redbird's with dropsash windows?

Anyone know why some redbirds specially r36ml, and some r33ml, and r26's, retained their original, as-delievered dropsash-windows? thanks

sjxo.pngoaspxjsopaj.png

dejoqdioweji.pngCredit goes to David Pirmann and TransferPoint.Bravepages!

Edited by pelhamlocal

Well, I don't think these were capable of having the same windows like the R32 / R33/36WF. I think that would require an opening of the side. But I might be wrong.

Well, I don't think these were capable of having the same windows like the R32 / R33/36WF. I think that would require an opening of the side. But I might be wrong.

You are wrong, the windows can be swapped out. The redbirds at IRM outside of Chicago will be getting a shipment of drop sash windows in the next few weeks.

You are wrong, the windows can be swapped out. The redbirds at IRM outside of Chicago will be getting a shipment of drop sash windows in the next few weeks.

I wonder why they don't do that with our own TOMC, then. Those new windows completely ruin the look (in addition to the GOH work inside).

I wonder why they don't do that with our own TOMC, then. Those new windows completely ruin the look (in addition to the GOH work inside).

I don't think we have enough windows to do all the cars. Plus those cars were repainted cars that were going to be reefed and they needed cars to run on the MOD trip. Remember at that time the MOD trips ran several times a month and you needed semi reliable cars for it.

• Upvote 1

too bad they are still here just sitting, hopefuly they will run again, 7925 is the only saved R28 with the drop slash windows its other car doesn't have the drop slash, it has the Post GOH windows

All Main Line R33s and R36s received the new style hinged windows in the early 1990s, just after GOH. Most R26/28/29s did as well at a later point. It was stated the the hinged sash more serviceable that the old drop sash type.

Wouldn't it be not too hard to make new sashes?

Find the money and it could be done. Remember that the museum trains are not funded the same way the museum buses were.

Find the money and it could be done. Remember that the museum trains are not funded the same way the museum buses were.

How much money would those cost?

All Main Line R33s and R36s received the new style hinged windows in the early 1990s, just after GOH. Most R26/28/29s did as well at a later point. It was stated the the hinged sash more serviceable that the old drop sash type.

I thought they were just trying to make them look like all the other windows (R32/36 and up). I also thought the drop sashes were abandoned for being less safe, because you could hang out of them.