Southern Brooklyn Service Investments

BrooklynBus

I suppose those in Marine Park and the other areas that the B2 serve don't count is that it?

Of course they count. That's why I want to extend it westward so there can be more connections for Marine Park residents. The B3 and B9 only serve Marine Park on the perimeter. The B2 cuts through the heart of Marine Park and has few riders because it primarily serves the subway. The B44 SBS won't even transfer to it.

Here my replies to Allan's proposals.

I like the "B31" extension but there should be another terminal besides 13th Avenue/Bay Ridge Avenue area which is middle of "nowwhere." Might as extend a few blocks and terminate it at the 62nd St (D)(N) subway station.

Don't see the point of going to 62 St. That would be shortening it not extending it. Don't expect many subway transfers. Going to 59th Street makes more sense because that would pass Sunset Park's Chinatown and a transfer to the B9 but woud mean added costs.

This is what I would do.

"B82" between Rockaway Parkway Station and Stilwell Terminal. Via Flatlands, Ralph, Avenue H, Kings Highway (replacing "B7" service *south of Utica/Ave H)then existing route to/from Coney Island.

"B81" aka "B50" between Coney Island Ave/Kings Highway and Gateway Mall (overnights only to Starret City/Spring Creek Towers)via Kings Highway, Flatbush, Flatlands, Rockaway Pwy station loop, Flatlands East, Penn, then via B83 routing to/from Gateway.

And the "Q51" routing. A better idea is to run it as say called the "B5" between Stillwell terminal and Mill Basin area such as serving Floyd Bennet Field. However other than summer weekends the "Q35" does not need an additional route just better headways.

And lastly with the "B4" I would extend it westbound to either 1)86th/4th station or 2)Lutheran Medical center area ("B11" Sunset Park Terminal) IMO The Knapp Street terminal is fine.

B81 making limited stops was what I proposed instead of the B82 limited on my website. Your B5 is also a good idea but I do believe there is more demand from the Rockaways to Brooklyn. For many it takes 2 buses to connect to the Q35 and a double fare.

As far as your last proposal, I would cut back to B4 to 4th Avenue and run the B9 on Shore Rd instead.

Of course they count. That's why I want to extend it westward so there can be more connections for Marine Park residents. The B3 and B9 only serve Marine Park on the perimeter. The B2 cuts through the heart of Marine Park and has few riders because it primarily serves the subway. The B44 SBS won't even transfer to it.

lol... Well how is it supposed to attract more riders just by extending it? I'm sorry but I think demographics have to do with it as well. I mean the B9 doesn't get a lot of B44 riders either. I'm not sure if extending it does anything more than gives folks the option of using the B2 versus the B9 and mind you the B9 has seen cut backs. What exactly is supposed to make the B2 more attractive to folks in the Western portion of Southern Brooklyn?

I'm not sure about returning the B37 and B70 to originality, but here's how I would do it. First the B37 makes local stops south of 59 street, with 59 street being the last stop before an express portion. I would make the B37 go express between 60 street and Downtown Manhattan would two intermediate stops at 39 street and at 9 street. The express portion would be on 3rd Avenue

I'm not sure about returning the B37 and B70 to originality, but here's how I would do it. First the B37 makes local stops south of 59 street, with 59 street being the last stop before an express portion. I would make the B37 go express between 60 street and Downtown Manhattan would two intermediate stops at 39 street and at 9 street. The express portion would be on 3rd Avenue

I like the idea to be honest and I would also consider returning the B70 back to its old route at least in some form.

But there's no demand for service along 3rd Avenue, or for a B37 to Downtown Manhattan.

But there's no demand for service along 3rd Avenue, or for a B37 to Downtown Manhattan.

I meant Downtown Brooklyn Sorry.

The B37 would return but with an express portion north of 59 street . It would run non-stop with an intermidiate stop at 39 street and 9 street. The B70 I would revert in someway, but not along its original route

The B37 would return but with an express portion north of 59 street . It would run non-stop with an intermidiate stop at 39 street and 9 street. The B70 I would revert in someway, but not along its original route

Yeah I'm not sure what I'd do with the B70 either but I wouldn't re-route to its old route.

Here's How I would reroute the B70

Current route until Ft. Hamilton Pkwy and 92 street, then right on Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, left on Bay Ridge Avenue, and right on 8 Avenue and regular

Another way is as follows

Current route until 5th Avenue and 92 street, then right on 5th Avenue , right on Bay Ridge Avenue and regular route

It already made very few stops along 3rd Avenue. The whole reason why the route was eliminated was because of the long portion with no turnover.

The B2 cuts through the heart of Marine Park and has few riders because it primarily serves the subway.

Right, but you want to have a merged route serve mill basin on one end & CI on the other via Marine park - I'm questioning the mill basin part of it all... I'm still not liking the suggestion/logic of a [weekday via fillmore av routing] & a [weekend via flatbush & av U routing] because for one, you don't think it's sensible to run buses on both Quentin & Av R in Marine Park.....

You can still have the B2 extended to CI & keeping it at kings plz. while leaving the 100 alone, if you are stating that you:

.....want to extend it westward so there can be more connections for Marine Park residents.

....as well as attract more riders to the route (the B2), while still serving Marine Park the way it currently does.... This way, Mill Basin keeps their quick/efficient connection to kings hwy sta. 7 days a week & the way the current B2 serves Marine park is unaffected (having this extended down to CI, the MTA couldn't leave the B2 as a weekday only route, if you're splitting the 82 or w/e [unless you have your B2 overlapping the B82 w/ that kept intact] - something would have to serve kings hwy west of the brighton on the weekend).....

^^ Instead of conveying to us that since kings plz. is more sought after on weekends, let's dedicate service directly to it on those 2 days.... and since service to kings hwy is more important on weekdays, let's keep the weekday routing along fillmore intact....

Maybe it's just me, I dunno....

There is no point to reverting those two routes.... people forget that the B70's usage was suff-er-ing before the alterations to the route the way it is currently.... As was stated, there is no real demand for 3rd av north of the portion the B70 now serves, and even if you run it LTD (which is all it is) along 3rd av towards downtown, the only xfer point that really had riders xferring b/w buses was @ 39th st..... Good luck thinking you would have pax xferring off a reverted B37 in "express" form, for the B61 along 9th av.....

With your plan/idea, you would have to somehow make the B37 LTD conducive/competitive enough to take ppl off B63's for it to be worth it, and I don't see that happening - even with the headache that is 5th av, even w/ the 63 running local along it.....

....as well as attract more riders to the route (the B2), while still serving Marine Park the way it currently does.... This way, Mill Basin keeps their quick/efficient connection to kings hwy sta. 7 days a week & the way the current B2 serves Marine park is unaffected (having this extended down to CI, the MTA couldn't leave the B2 as a weekday only route, if you're splitting the 82 or w/e [unless you have your B2 overlapping the B82 w/ that kept intact] - something would have to serve kings hwy west of the brighton on the weekend).....

^^ Instead of conveying to us that since kings plz. is more sought after on weekends, let's dedicate service directly to it on those 2 days.... and since service to kings hwy is more important on weekdays, let's keep the weekday routing along fillmore intact....

The MTA would have to add back weekend service. He has the B2 covering Mill Basin, and the B100 eliminated: http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sb_rosen_map_3.png

I'm still torn as to what would be the best way to go about restructuring the B2 & B100. I mean, they should definitely be streamlined in Marine Park to run on one street, but I'm not sure as to the routing east of Flatbush Avenue, since you'd have a small gap by Fillmore if it were routed down to Avenue U. I don't like the idea of seperate weekday & weekend routings, for simplicity's sake. I've heard the idea of a seperate branch being thrown around, which doesn't seem too bad. (In other words, the branch to Kings Plaza could still be designated the B2), and then both the B2 & B100 could be extended westward.

The MTA would have to add back weekend service.

He has the B2 covering Mill Basin, and the B100 eliminated: http://www.sheepshea...rosen_map_3.png

I'm still torn as to what would be the best way to go about restructuring the B2 & B100. I mean, they should definitely be streamlined in Marine Park to run on one street, but I'm not sure as to the routing east of Flatbush Avenue, since you'd have a small gap by Fillmore if it were routed down to Avenue U. I don't like the idea of seperate weekday & weekend routings, for simplicity's sake. I've heard the idea of a seperate branch being thrown around, which doesn't seem too bad. (In other words, the branch to Kings Plaza could still be designated the B2), and then both the B2 & B100 could be extended westward.

- yep, very first statement is the very point I'm making....

- Second statement, got all that....

What you're replying to of mine, was prefaced by his quote (and my comment above that quote)....

- Rest of your reply, yeah, neither does BrooklynBus.... and everyone else that proposed combining those two routes that didn't involve some type of branching.... The problem (w/ a combined route) is not so much how it should run in Marine Park, it's (serving) kings plaza vs. Mill Basin.....

Who was it that came up with a "B100/B101" branch idea again ?

Q23 ever been on the old "B37?" There was a reason even during rush hours prior to June 2010, the B37 had 12-15 minutes headways. You aware the (R) train and B63 are nearby right? Only time the "B37" got descent(not great) ridership was weekdays. Thus why if it came back(there other service restorations more important such as the B8 back to Bay Ridge, etc.)it should be a weekday only route.

If anything the much busier B63 needs limited stop at least during rush hours. If you proposing the B37 become a "M98" type weekday route, it wont work for reasons mentioned above!

Right, but you want to have a merged route serve mill basin on one end & CI on the other via Marine park - I'm questioning the mill basin part of it all... I'm still not liking the suggestion/logic of a [weekday via fillmore av routing] & a [weekend via flatbush & av U routing] because for one, you don't think it's sensible to run buses on both Quentin & Av R in Marine Park.....

You can still have the B2 extended to CI & keeping it at kings plz. while leaving the 100 alone, if you are stating that you:

I quite frankly am confused with both you and Brooklyn Bus... On the one hand, both of you say that bringing the B2 back on the weekends was a good thing and clearly with me fighting for it and contacting Senator Golden on multiple occasions I agree with that notion. However, what I can't understand is this obsession if you will with extending the B2 westward for this "burst" of ridership. If the B9 was cut back, what exactly is going to have folks running suddenly for an expanded B2? I just don't see the ridership there, so perhaps the two of you can explain where the ridership would come from and why?

There is no point to reverting those two routes.... people forget that the B70's usage was suff-er-ing before the alterations to the route the way it is currently.... As was stated, there is no real demand for 3rd av north of the portion the B70 now serves, and even if you run it LTD (which is all it is) along 3rd av towards downtown, the only xfer point that really had riders xferring b/w buses was @ 39th st..... Good luck thinking you would have pax xferring off a reverted B37 in "express" form, for the B61 along 9th av.....

With your plan/idea, you would have to somehow make the B37 LTD conducive/competitive enough to take ppl off B63's for it to be worth it, and I don't see that happening - even with the headache that is 5th av, even w/ the 63 running local along it.....

Q23 ever been on the old "B37?" There was a reason even during rush hours prior to June 2010, the B37 had 12-15 minutes headways. You aware the (R) train and B63 are nearby right? Only time the "B37" got descent(not great) ridership was weekdays. Thus why if it came back(there other service restorations more important such as the B8 back to Bay Ridge, etc.)it should be a weekday only route.

If anything the much busier B63 needs limited stop at least during rush hours. If you proposing the B37 become a "M98" type weekday route, it wont work for reasons mentioned above!

I don't know but I'd have to disagree with you and B35. I mean I've used the B37 and it does get some usage in the Northern section, during both weekdays and weekends. In fact I remember using it during the weekend and being surprised that anyone was using it. I think the solution would be to bring it back and either re-route it or have it do some sort of limited stop service after it leaves Bay Ridge to make it more appealing to other riders like the B63 folks because quite frankly you can't sit here and tell me that the B63 is just fine the way it is and how would Limited Stop service help the B63 if traffic is such a mess on 5th Avenue? It would just sit there in traffic. Furthermore, folks are being priced out of Bay Ridge and Sunset Park is the next up and coming neighborhood if you will. As for the B70, I do agree that it was suffering which is why I don't think the old routing would work.

I don't know but I'd have to disagree with you and B35. I mean I've used the B37 and it does get some usage in the Northern section, during both weekdays and weekends. In fact I remember using it during the weekend and being surprised that anyone was using it. I think the solution would be to bring it back and either re-route it or have it do some sort of limited stop service after it leaves Bay Ridge to make it more appealing to other riders like the B63 folks because quite frankly you can't sit here and tell me that the B63 is just fine the way it is and how would Limited Stop service help the B63 if traffic is such a mess on 5th Avenue? It would just sit there in traffic. Furthermore, folks are being priced out of Bay Ridge and Sunset Park is the next up and coming neighborhood if you will. As for the B70, I do agree that it was suffering which is why I don't think the old routing would work.

What time you used the B37 on weekends VG8? I remember riding the B37 that spring of 2010(right before it got canned)on a Saturday Night on a bus/rail fan trip and not wanting to use the subway from Coney Island-Downtown Brooklyn the whole way. Actually missed the last Manhattan Bound X28 to 42nd/Grand Central for connection home on Metro North.

Visiting old friends/neighbors that day.

It was around 10pm on a Saturday Night and when i boarded the B37 Downtown bound, at 86th St & 3rd it was about 15 riders. By time our trip got to Atlantic and 3rd Ave, it was 3 riders on entire trip. Most was gone by 39th and 3rd? I thought you compromised VG8 on idea late evenings to send the B37 on late evenings between 39th/3rd and Shore Road/4th Ave? Next you suggest the B37 run again 24/7? You realy want if you could every line to run 7 days 24 hours a day? The MTA cut way too much but the B37 had too much service. At very least overnight service had to go on the B37.

My Point is if weekend B37 service returned, it should run every 15-20 minutes most of the day and every 30 minutes late evenings. The B63 is much busier and needs more buses than the B37.

What you propose VG8? And no dont say 24/7 service again? And B35 feel free to jump in lol.

What time you used the B37 on weekends VG8? I remember riding the B37 that spring of 2010(right before it got canned)on a Saturday Night on a bus/rail fan trip and not wanting to use the subway from Coney Island-Downtown Brooklyn the whole way. Actually missed the last Manhattan Bound X28 to 42nd/Grand Central for connection home on Metro North.

Visiting old friends/neighbors that day.

It was around 10pm on a Saturday Night and when i boarded the B37 Downtown bound, at 86th St & 3rd it was about 15 riders. By time our trip got to Atlantic and 3rd Ave, it was 3 riders on entire trip. Most was gone by 39th and 3rd? I thought you compromised VG8 on idea late evenings to send the B37 on late evenings between 39th/3rd and Shore Road/4th Ave? Next you suggest the B37 run again 24/7? You realy want if you could every line to run 7 days 24 hours a day? The MTA cut way too much but the B37 had too much service. At very least overnight service had to go on the B37.

What you propose VG8? And no dont say 24/7 service again? And B35 feel free to jump in lol.

Where did I say anything about 24/7 service at for the B37???? I thought I was clear the last time in saying that the B37 could be truncated to serve just Bay Ridge after a certain time, but to cut off all Northern service is ridiculous when there are some folks that need it. I still feel that the current changes in Sunset Park and the fact that the B37 could be an attractive alternative to the B63 are reasons that it should come back, but NOT 24/7. The times that I used the B37 during the week and on weekends was in the afternoon or early evening.

I quite frankly am confused with both you and Brooklyn Bus... On the one hand, both of you say that bringing the B2 back on the weekends was a good thing and clearly with me fighting for it and contacting Senator Golden on multiple occasions I agree with that notion. However, what I can't understand is this obsession if you will with extending the B2 westward for this "burst" of ridership. If the B9 was cut back, what exactly is going to have folks running suddenly for an expanded B2? I just don't see the ridership there, so perhaps the two of you can explain where the ridership would come from and why?

For one, there is no obsession....

Two, I didn't say jack about cutting back the B9.... Don't confuse me with BrooklynBus.

Three, I don't see what you're so confused about with that - What is the problem w/ someone wanting to bring back the B2 on weekends & making more use of the route (weekdays as well as weekends)? You present your argument here as if one can't exist without the other happening... Or better yet, wanting to extend the route somehow negates the wanting of the B2 back on weekends......

I don't know but I'd have to disagree with you and B35. I mean I've used the B37 and it does get some usage in the Northern section, during both weekdays and weekends. In fact I remember using it during the weekend and being surprised that anyone was using it.

I think the solution would be to bring it back and either re-route it or have it do some sort of limited stop service after it leaves Bay Ridge to make it more appealing to other riders like the B63 folks because quite frankly you can't sit here and tell me that the B63 is just fine the way it is and how would Limited Stop service help the B63 if traffic is such a mess on 5th Avenue? It would just sit there in traffic. Furthermore, folks are being priced out of Bay Ridge and Sunset Park is the next up and coming neighborhood if you will. As for the B70, I do agree that it was suffering which is why I don't think the old routing would work.

Sure it got some usage; the question is how much....

The fact that you just said you were surprised anyone was using it during the weekend, leads credence to how ill used it was..... during the weekday, usage wasn't too great either.... If you ask me, usage on the B37 was worse than the B70 that traveled down Ft. Hamilton (the pre 3rd av routing)

No, the B63 isn't fine the way it is, but that doesn't mean riders all of a sudden are gonna flock over to 3rd av for a reverted B37 either..... and to have it run LTD on top of it? I'd like to know how often you'd run the 37.....

Two, I didn't say jack about cutting back the B9.... Don't confuse me with BrooklynBus.

I know you didn't... What I said was that the B9 has been cut back, so where is this ridership for an expanded B2 supposed to be coming from seeing that the line would run in areas that the B9 serves? That's what no one has answered yet. All I keep hearing is that the ridership is there and that folks feel that there is demand there but no real specifics... Maybe there is a need for it. I'm just trying to understand where the ridership would come from. I think that's a fair question.

Three, I don't see what you're so confused about with that - What is the problem w/ someone wanting to bring back the B2 on weekends & making more use of the route (weekdays as well as weekends)? You present your argument here as if one can't exist without the other happening... Or better yet, wanting to extend the route somehow negates the wanting of the B2 back on weekends......

Nothing at all... I just haven't seen any evidence really to support the extension... I mean you gave me the impression that folks were using the B9 because there was no B2 to the point to where the B2 was really needed on weekends and perhaps even fine the way that it is, but apparently you're saying that it isn't.

The fact that you just said you were surprised anyone was using it during the weekend, leads credence to how ill used it was..... during the weekday, usage wasn't too great either.... If you ask me, usage on the B37 was worse than the B70 that traveled down Ft. Hamilton (the pre 3rd av routing)

No, the B63 isn't fine the way it is, but that doesn't mean riders all of a sudden are gonna flock over to 3rd av for a reverted B37 either..... and to have it run LTD on top of it? I'd like to know how often you'd run the 37.....

Enough to warrant some level of service.... Even if it's just rush hours to the Northern portion. It's better than nothing. IMO the real key is that the B37 should be restored with a focus on how it can better generate more ridership and also take some of the stress load off of the B63 because I've used the B63 as well and it is PAINFULLY slow down 5th Av. There is no way that the B63 should be running by itself at all times.

I know you didn't... What I said was that the B9 has been cut back, so where is this ridership for an expanded B2 supposed to be coming from seeing that the line would run in areas that the B9 serves? That's what no one has answered yet. All I keep hearing is that the ridership is there and that folks feel that there is demand there but no real specifics... Maybe there is a need for it. I'm just trying to understand where the ridership would come from. I think that's a fair question.

Well, with the way BrooklynBus would extend the B2, the B2 would absorb the same riders the current B82 gets b/w coney island & kings hwy subway.... The B9 wouldn't factor into a westward extension of the B2.....

Nothing at all... I just have seen any evidence really to support the extension... I mean you gave me the impression that folks were using the B9 because there was no B2 to the point to where the B2 was really needed on weekends and perhaps even fine the way that it is, but apparently you're saying that it isn't.

Folks are using the B9 on the weekends b/c there's no B2... same way they're using the B3 on weekends b/c there's no B2......

All I'm implicating is that having the B2 reverted on weekends can take some riders off the B3 & B9, as well as serve Marine Park the way it currently does on the weekdays, on the weekend......

Enough to warrant some level of service.... Even if it's just rush hours to the Northern portion. It's better than nothing. IMO the real key is that the B37 should be restored with a focus on how it can better generate more ridership and also take some of the stress load off of the B63 because I've used the B63 as well and it is PAINFULLY slow down 5th Av. There is no way that the B63 should be running by itself at all times.

aye, anything is better than nothing, but that alone's not gonna change my opinion.... This is simply gonna have to be a disagreement.... Just as you don't see any evidence to support a B2 extension, I don't see any evidence that the B37 should be brought back.... I don't believe B37 ridership shifted to the 63 when it got discontinued, if I'm mistaken, so be it.....

I agree with the part in bold regarding the B37, in theory.... In actuality (meaning, a restoration of the B37), I don't see people making their way from 5th av to 3rd av - even with as slow as that route (63) is.... What you are saying about the B63 itself, I'm not disputing..... You don't have to emphasize how slow & problematic that route is to me....

Maybe you have an idea as to how the MTA would go about siphoning ridership off the B63 to the B37, because I don't......

Actually it would be an express north of Bay Ridge with two stops on 39 street and 9 street for connections

I mean this B37 would be slightly faster than the B61 from Downtown Brooklyn to 3rd Avenue- 9 street, I mean anyone riding the B61 from

downtown Brooklyn to 3 av/ 9 and vice versa can take a B37 instead of a B61

39 street would be a transfer point to the B35 and B70

I would run this B37 weekdays every 20 minutes rush hours and outside every 30-60 minutes

Actually it would be an express north of Bay Ridge with two stops on 39 street and 9 street for connections

I mean this B37 would be slightly faster than the B61 from Downtown Brooklyn to 3rd Avenue- 9 street, I mean anyone riding the B61 from

downtown Brooklyn to 3 av/ 9 and vice versa can take a B37 instead of a B61

39 street would be a transfer point to the B35 and B70

I would run this B37 weekdays every 20 minutes rush hours and outside every 30-60 minutes

Yeah, I understood your proposal.....

The reason I brought up the B61 wasn't to compare the duration to a reverted B37 b/w [downtown brooklyn] & [3rd/9th]..... What I was alluding to is, since both of those routes already travel to/from downtown, there wouldn't be much of a reason for a rider coming off either bus @ 3rd/9th, to xfer over to the connecting bus.... Back when the 37 & the 75 ran, I do not remember much if any xferring b/w those two routes....

Archived