Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Cerunil said:

Hey everybody, that friend is me. I just received the same letter to go take the same drug test that I did those weeks ago. I called (and sat on hold for three hours) but I just got that Robinson email saying not to come in and that I should expect a proper invite back in a few weeks.

Welcome to the Forums!! Let me know if you need any assistance...

1 hour ago, Queensqueens111 said:

Wonder if those of us in the 2000s that got denied our chance to take drug tests will get called back soon and are hopefully still on the list after this debacle 

I think we're still on the list...as a result of this "debacle" (or whatever you call it, just like how "tomato" is pronounced two different ways) they're sending out pre-employment letters to everyone from the 1600's to #3226, since that is the last list number certified according to the DCAS automated system. Therefore, when we get the letter, we get the letter. If I had to take an educated guess as far as a time frame: Maybe within the next month, definitely by the end of the year. (My list number is in the 2800's.)

I’m also here finishing up my medical and final processing. I’ve been here since 7:30. Just to give people a heads up, anyone who received a preemployment letter and already did the drug test don’t come down here. They will send you home and tell you wait to get emailed. Also anyone who received a preemployment letter for cleaners were also sent home as there’s a job freeze. Let’s hope they don’t do the same for track workers. Good luck everyone, I’ll give you and update after I’m done. 

I popped into 180 Livingston today today to ask if they can re-issue or re-print a copy of the medical slip I received on sept. 22.  I had misplaced mine and unfortunately haven't found it yet.  I rarely misplace/lose anything so important.  The young snobby lady tells me that they do not re-print/re-issue those slips and then she questioned me about my past medical before she phones Mrs. Robinson on the spot to verify my list# and status.  I have a feeling that I was not on their list yet even though my name was restored.  She then told me that Mrs. Robinson will send me an email to come in again. 

Has anyone lost/misplaced their white medical slip and been given any problems preceding forward?

More importantly, can someone give me the email address for Mrs. Robinson?

5 minutes ago, Aahhhwoooooo said:

I popped into 180 Livingston today today to ask if they can re-issue or re-print a copy of the medical slip I received on sept. 22.  I had misplaced mine and unfortunately haven't found it yet.  I rarely misplace/lose anything so important.  The young snobby lady tells me that they do not re-print/re-issue those slips and then she questioned me about my past medical before she phones Mrs. Robinson on the spot to verify my list# and status.  I have a feeling that I was not on their list yet even though my name was restored.  She then told me that Mrs. Robinson will send me an email to come in again. 

Has anyone lost/misplaced their white medical slip and been given any problems preceding forward?

what is this white medical slip you're talking about? did you take second medical part of the processing?

Yes. I took the 2nd part of the processing. When you finish it, they give you a white slip which you would then bring to counter 3 to complete the whole process. At least thats what I had experienced. I would assume that those who passed medical have also received that slip

5 hours ago, ebenz1 said:

here at 180 Livingston finishing up my medical and final processing. been here since 7am lol. thanks for all the info fellas ! 

You're welcome! Any word on any upcoming class dates?

59 minutes ago, Aahhhwoooooo said:

If I was you, I would be patient. They go by list number, and when you get called for medical, they will just cross-reference everything to your last examination, give you another printout, and then you'll be good to go.

So just finished the medical and final processing took me about 12 hrs. It was packed with people. When I spoke to one of the nurses she informed me that MTA is doing a mass hiring of people. My first day of class is nov 6th. I didn’t need to retake s drug test even though it was past 30 days since I took it. One of the ladies  said they will be emailing out more people in the next 2 weeks who came in for preemployment  so I assume there must be another class soon. 

4 minutes ago, Rad0326 said:

So just finished the medical and final processing took me about 12 hrs. It was packed with people. When I spoke to one of the nurses she informed me that MTA is doing a mass hiring of people. My first day of class is nov 6th. I didn’t need to retake s drug test even though it was past 30 days since I took it. One of the ladies  said they will be emailing out more people in the next 2 weeks who came in for preemployment  so I assume there must be another class soon. 

Yea the next class is Nov 22nd I think ... Whats your list #?

Hey guys. I received an email today stating that I’d be receiving an email in 2-3 weeks for day 2 of processing. What does that entail? Also where is the training facility/facilities for track worker ? I live in NJ so I’m trying to decide between track worker or NJ transits bus operator 

17 minutes ago, J2wresnwood said:

Hey guys. I received an email today stating that I’d be receiving an email in 2-3 weeks for day 2 of processing. What does that entail? Also where is the training facility/facilities for track worker ? I live in NJ so I’m trying to decide between track worker or NJ transits bus operator 

As far as the medical, read this lengthy post. Once you're done with the medical, providing you are not put on medical hold, you will meet with an interviewer who will go over all of your paperwork, you will get your picture taken for your Metrocard Photo ID Pass, get fingerprints taken, and receive paperwork for your upcoming class.

The initial training facility is PS 248, located at 2125 West 13th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11223. From there, they will probably send you to a yard to get some more "hands-on" training. As far as where the yards are located, click here. Some of the addresses are vague, however that site is the best I can find. I'm assuming you'll get more information in the class.

15 hours ago, J2wresnwood said:

Good morning and thx. This info is much appreciated. Based on this info, I may decline this position due to my commute based on locations. That commute would end up being 2 hrs each way. What are some of the pros and cons of becoming a track worker ?

A lot of transit ppl live in Jersey and commute to work daily. 

Heck there are some that commute 4 hours each way or you might consider moving a bit closer. 

It's a steady lifetime career, comes with medical, dental, pension and 401k etc.

Your raises are guaranteed each year and your pay can only go up not down. 

You become a civil servant and that comes with job security after your first year in. 

Only con is if you don't like to work then might not be for you because there will be days where you have to work and days where it's a easy day. (Mostly easy days though lol)

23 hours ago, +Young+ said:

As far as the medical, read this lengthy post. Once you're done with the medical, providing you are not put on medical hold, you will meet with an interviewer who will go over all of your paperwork, you will get your picture taken for your Metrocard Photo ID Pass, get fingerprints taken, and receive paperwork for your upcoming class.

The initial training facility is PS 248, located at 2125 West 13th Street, Brooklyn, NY 11223. From there, they will probably send you to a yard to get some more "hands-on" training. As far as where the yards are located, click here. Some of the addresses are vague, however that site is the best I can find. I'm assuming you'll get more information in the class.

Your hands on report location will likely either E180 in the Bronx or a location in BK. You report there each morning and from there you are assigned your job for the day. 

Normally the class gets split in half, however you don't have a choice in where they put you. They decide this on the backend 

12 minutes ago, Marcel876 said:

Your hands on report location will likely either E180 in the Bronx or a location in BK. You report there each morning and from there you are assigned your job for the day.

Just to make it easier on your end, @J2wresnwood, the addresses for most of the yards are in the Wikipedia Link. If you don't find it, or if you have trouble, let us know and we'll help you locate a particular location. I'm familiar with most of the train yards, I'm just "rusty" with the Bus Depots.

27 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

Just to make it easier on your end, @J2wresnwood, the addresses for most of the yards are in the Wikipedia Link. If you don't find it, or if you have trouble, let us know and we'll help you locate a particular location. I'm familiar with most of the train yards, I'm just "rusty" with the Bus Depots.

You can only choose between East NY or E. 180 yard for training. Depending on class seniority, you might not even have a choice. 

Edited by rskbreaker

Thanks to all for your replies. I’m still on the fence with my decision. On one hand I’m sure I’d love the idea of working on various different projects. On the other hand, I commuted for 13 years to and from Newark to Woodside Queens and hated it. Commuting to East New York isn’t that bad, but the BX..... On 10/23 I start training at Nj Transit as a Bus operator. Which ever I pick will be the company of which I will retire from god willing