Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/16/2018 at 11:18 PM, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

Instructor said today in class that the September class will be the last class for this year. Everyone in the September class already received there letters 

he wouldn’t elaborate if that meant it’s gonna be a freeze for a couple months like this summer that just passed or what

level 2s who have all the administraton pull never really politic with reg track workers. Unless you buying breakfast you not getting the drop. He wouldn’t speak in details about the topic 

Wow, I haven’t been here for awhile. Hope everyone is doing well, and congrats to those who made it in. I was hired last year 9/25. 

Its been pretty good so far. I actually like this job. Lots to learn, lots of good dudes (for the most part), and you can make some decent money here. 

As far as the freeze on classes, a memo went out about 2 weeks ago freezing lots of OT projects. Seems until next spring, transit will try to do as much as possible on straight time, so that may have a bearing on hiring as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am still waiting to hear back from the MTA about this. I went down to Livingston Street and I was told that they "didn't get to your number yet" after waiting the "three to ninety days" grace period to hear back from them after taking the drug test. I waited three years to hear something/ take the drug test, but because I didn't have my Social Security card, I had to take it a week later, so I don't know if that held me up. Currently doing part-time work at my old job until I hear something from them.

So, if anything, I have to wait a little longer then, right?

3 hours ago, franklynsays said:

I am still waiting to hear back from the MTA about this. I went down to Livingston Street and I was told that they "didn't get to your number yet" after waiting the "three to ninety days" grace period to hear back from them after taking the drug test. I waited three years to hear something/ take the drug test, but because I didn't have my Social Security card, I had to take it a week later, so I don't know if that held me up. Currently doing part-time work at my old job until I hear something from them.

So, if anything, I have to wait a little longer then, right?

I would call Ms. Rivera and see what she says. This list is set to expire in about a month, so I honestly don't know what's going on. Plus, I'm hesitant to say the wrong thing as well, primarily to avoid breaking other people's feelings, whether they are members or guests of this website.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dman1455 said:

The civil database where all lists are published. Young posted a link somewhere in this thread.

Here's the link.

Now here's my Million Dollar Question: The 1-in-3 letter I got for this exam, appeal? If so, to whom? Andy Byford? Governor Cuomo?

(To make a long story short, as a result of failing the 10-day Bus Operator Training Program back in February of 2014, I got a 1-in-3 letter in the mail, disqualifying me for the position, in which this post immediately came to my mind. However, some of you on this site encouraged me to appeal, therefore...)

My list number for this particular exam is in the 2800's.

Edited by +Young+

@young, good luck with your appeal.

I could very well face a similar situation myself.

Transit seems to have a lot of discretion with hiring, much more than with termination after tenure has been obtained - in this they're very similar to other government employers.  I'd start the process with Mr Byford.

58 minutes ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

Transit seems to have a lot of discretion with hiring, much more than with termination after tenure has been obtained - in this they're very similar to other government employers.  I'd start the process with Mr Byford.

Thank you for your input, however I was personally thinking of Governor Cuomo...thoughts?

@Young,

personally I'd start with the head of Transit - people in government are sensitive to hierarchy and expect the chain of command to be followed.  Even starting with Byford there's probably two or three people below him that you "should" ask for reconsideration - the broader issue is that Transit just doesn't owe much due process to anyone who doesn't actually have tenure on a job with Transit.

9 hours ago, MTAhopefullMatt said:

@Young,

personally I'd start with the head of Transit - people in government are sensitive to hierarchy and expect the chain of command to be followed.  Even starting with Byford there's probably two or three people below him that you "should" ask for reconsideration - the broader issue is that Transit just doesn't owe much due process to anyone who doesn't actually have tenure on a job with Transit.

Thank you for the feedback - I just feel Cuomo is more powerful, but that's my opinion...

Been on the job 6 months. Making a lot of money and not killing myself. Tons of overtime, bids come out every month so you have an opportunity to move around to other departments. Cleaning, maintenance, capital or rails. I’m in capital construction. We’re woeking 7 days a week 14-16 hour days. An occasional overnight once or twice a week OT. By the end of this year I’ll make 50k within 6 months at base pay

I advise everyone on the 3600 exam to get annoying and call and show up to Livingston as much as possible. I’m telling you this job will change your life. If you knew how sweet this gig was, benefits are amazing, 2 other retirement options on top of your city pension.  In 6 months I’ve bought a car, saving for a house, and am fully taking care of my family. I was borderline depressed before this job because of financial struggles

And track guys are the coolest. It’s a locker room environment. We treat women with the most respect and give them the easier jobs. But the boys, we joke on each other all day and go out frequently for drinks. Feels good to finally fit in. Don’t let anything discourage you from getting your job man!! I had to jump through all types of hoops to get it. Worth every tribulation! 

W

1 hour ago, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

Been on the job 6 months. Making a lot of money and not killing myself. Tons of overtime, bids come out every month so you have an opportunity to move around to other departments. Cleaning, maintenance, capital or rails. I’m in capital construction. We’re woeking 7 days a week 14-16 hour days. An occasional overnight once or twice a week OT. By the end of this year I’ll make 50k within 6 months at base pay

I advise everyone on the 3600 exam to get annoying and call and show up to Livingston as much as possible. I’m telling you this job will change your life. If you knew how sweet this gig was, benefits are amazing, 2 other retirement options on top of your city pension.  In 6 months I’ve bought a car, saving for a house, and am fully taking care of my family. I was borderline depressed before this job because of financial struggles

And track guys are the coolest. It’s a locker room environment. We treat women with the most respect and give them the easier jobs. But the boys, we joke on each other all day and go out frequently for drinks. Feels good to finally fit in. Don’t let anything discourage you from getting your job man!! I had to jump through all types of hoops to get it. Worth every tribulation! 

What is the salary for this position 

3 hours ago, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

Around 50k a year. But there’s a million ways to make OT. Snow duty, crane is watch, change of tour OT, bid to a dual rate, get your CDL permit etc. and like 10 more ways I can’t think of off hand

Yeah and I heard top pay is even higher congrats to you and your family. I took the 8600 exam waiting to get called. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

Are you capital days or nights? Really women get the easier jobs lol. Last time i checked I was doing the same jobs you get assigned. I'm capital nights by the way

Edited by SNYC

I’m capital days. I herd nights ran like a plantation lol.. I’m waiting 6 months and ima go for d/r track inspector 

The worse gang in my opinion is cleaning. Cleaning guys don’t know shit. Guys in cleaning will try to sell you on the fact they only pushing a broom, but you don’t learn nothing. Unless your on the vac, vac gets to the bag  

and 50k in 6 months. Only been here 6 months guys 

and yeah most women don’t do shit. You got some that are phenomenal workers, but the other 90% make it bad for the rest. You’ll see. If she’s cute she graduates to an office secretary the moment she hits the field. Lot of women bid to quarters with no female locker room and now get paid to travel to the next one everyday to accommodate them

2 hours ago, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

I’m capital days. I herd nights ran like a plantation lol.. I’m waiting 6 months and ima go for d/r track inspector 

The worse gang in my opinion is cleaning. Cleaning guys don’t know shit. Guys in cleaning will try to sell you on the fact they only pushing a broom, but you don’t learn nothing. Unless your on the vac, vac gets to the bag  

and 50k in 6 months. Only been here 6 months guys 

and yeah most women don’t do shit. You got some that are phenomenal workers, but the other 90% make it bad for the rest. You’ll see. If she’s cute she graduates to an office secretary the moment she hits the field. Lot of women bid to quarters with no female locker room and now get paid to travel to the next one everyday to accommodate them

Is there a lot of overtime in the cleaning division? 

On 1/2/2019 at 8:28 AM, Mtahopeful121986 said:

Is there a lot of overtime in the cleaning division? 

There’s literally overtime in every division. Everyone in track is making money, cause even if your in a quarters that ain’t got OT if your buddy is in another one he can possibly throw you on his quarters OT 

Cleaning specifically can make a ton of money, especially if your in the right area. Problem with cleaning is you won’t learn shit. It all depends on what type of career you want. If you wanna stay down here and make 80k a year then go to cleaning. If you wanna learn something to possibly further your career and make the same money you’ll go to maintenance

Guys down here don’t really respect cleaning gangs. We view them as fairy’s or sissys lol. They don’t know shit. They can’t work maintenance or capital OT because the only thing they excel at is sweeping and dusting

5 hours ago, Mohamed said:

I took the 8600 exam 

Just want to know what's the list  number they are up too on this exam

How far are they up.on the 3600 list number ?? 

Thanks

First, in the event you are unaware, the thread for the 8600 exam can be found here.

Second, to my knowledge, they are up to list number 3226.

Hopefully this answers your question.