Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was thinking about taking the test prep class on 3/23. did anybody take any of the previous classes? if so how were they and did you feel they were nesscary?

Well first of all, the guys who teach the class are Bus Operators, not track workers. Second, I took not only the previous class for Track Worker, but I also took a similar class for Bus Operator and took the Bus Operator exam 2 weeks later. In my opinion, if not all, most of the questions are common sense. I honestly do not feel that the class was necessary. Again, they are Bus Operators, not track workers.

I have a question regarding the calculator. Do they really exam the calculator, mine is a simple calculator that I bout at Home Depot but its meant for contractors. Do you think they will give me a problem? I am just use to it.

I have a question regarding the calculator. Do they really exam the calculator, mine is a simple calculator that I bout at Home Depot but its meant for contractors. Do you think they will give me a problem? I am just use to it.

When I took the Bus Operator exam back in January they did! Like someone said to me, just buy a very simple calculator at the 99 cents store. One that can just add, subtract, multiply and divide. Nothing else.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

• 2 weeks later...

anyone else take the test today 3/23/13   i was surprised it was only 40 questions  and there were   alot of people taking the test today               any other thoughts   on your experience  ?   

The reason why it was only 40 questions compared to 80 (like the bus operator) is because of the huge # of applicants taking the test (thanks to the economy), they had to do two sessions, 40 questions each. In my opinion, if NYC Transit did not have as many applicants, then they could have the normal three sessions that would have lasted 3 hours with the normal 80 questions...

I will be very curious when this list comes out during the summer how many people total are taking this exam between yesterday, April 6th and April 20th...

The reason why it was only 40 questions compared to 80 (like the bus operator) is because of the huge # of applicants taking the test (thanks to the economy), they had to do two sessions, 40 questions each. In my opinion, if NYC Transit did not have as many applicants, then they could have the normal three sessions that would have lasted 3 hours with the normal 80 questions...

I will be very curious when this list comes out during the summer how many people total are taking this exam between yesterday, April 6th and April 20th...

what did you think about the test ?    @ JMADISON HS  the lines were wrapped around the corner   

what did you think about the test ? @ JMADISON HS the lines were wrapped around the corner

to me the test was all about paying attention to what you read. basically reading comprehension. went to James Madison also but I was able to skip the line because I had a yellow paper. does anyone know the difference in the color paper and what that's all about? Edited by Allday

I was @ Midwood HS on 3/23 with a blue paper...some people were on line and belonged at Madison and didn't realize it till near the front...test was 40 common sense questions, no "real" math and the practice books are useless I have a Passbook for Trackman (Track Worker) and almost 95% of the stuff I read and semi-studied was NOT on the actual exam.

realistically you get two and a half points per question. Its 40 questions and not to mention that you do have people who have veterans preference. So the most you can probably get wrong would be about 3, and that would give you a 92.5. My opinion is anything lower than that won't cut it, considering how easy the rest was.

allday,

how did you do.

I thought I did very well. I'd like to think I got them all right. Had trouble with one question. For the most part I use the " 50/50" method. Out of the 4 answers I know 2 never make sense, so of remaining two, I look for the best answer relating to the passage.

I asked because  one of my family members will be taking the exam soon. And when I took the track worker back  years ago it was 80 questions there was math,tools,reading, It was all base on track repair and safety.  So I told my family member to pick up the passbook but now I'm hearing that whatever is in the book is not on the exam. I don't want to give the wrong info.

I asked because  one of my family members will be taking the exam soon. And when I took the track worker back  years ago it was 80 questions there was math,tools,reading, It was all base on track repair and safety.  So I told my family member to pick up the passbook but now I'm hearing that whatever is in the book is not on the exam. I don't want to give the wrong info.

Tell him to save his money. Could be more than 1 test but the one I had didn't have anything but reading comp.

Tell him to save his money. Could be more than 1 test but the one I had didn't have anything but reading comp.

hi there, my exam is on 4/6/2013 Is it true that only read comp only? Whatever about the tools or wages question? I am desperately search for the book that is related to the test though.....