Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

StevenNYC thanks, and congrats to you too and everyone that got into the Feb 22 & March 28 classes. I'm sure we'll run into each other within the coming months. I also commend you for the information you share, very helpful.

newyorkNYC11, I would wear something casual, comfortable and warm too, just incase they have us step outside and mess with some tools lol.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey just some observations

1. Track workers talk/gossip about each other like dogs, so it imperative to keep your business to your self as much as you can
  2. There may appear to be some equity/equality issues with female track workers.May seem unfair but i guess human nature
  3. track school is nothing like on the job
  4. favoritism, may appear to be rampant, again human nature in a large organization
  5. Senior track men will either help you /educate you with work or do something that appears to be work but really isn't. The point is that unless it favors them, or they just good people, the most senior guys expect u to do more.
  6. Transit does not tell you your leave balances or display them on ur pay stub like most government jobs, you have to ask for it from management.
  7. Hardest part is carrying tools, avoid countless tripping hazards on track. working under/between train traffic is a lil annoying as well
  8. just because you pick a job doesn't mean you will end up doing that.
  9. finding your place, is basically finding something productive  to do without a foremen specifically telling you do it, it eases peer pressure and annoyances of ur peers- a standing around perception
  10. maintenance- a lil everything but mainly plates, rails- changing repairing rails,cleaning =track cleaning, different culture and days off from each other
  11. days in the street, is transit terminology for a suspension
  12. sick abuse causes alot of probation extensions and failures, avoid any ammunition that a superintendent can build up on you
  13. school seniority is based upon ur civil service list number in that specific class
  14. RTO and track have a poor relationship, it works to a trackmans favor in reality and  reliable Train service should be the most important
Edited by cptjcz

cptjcz, whats up dude...bout to start track school on monday.

I know ill find out soon enough, but hows the scheduling work? is it a 6 day or 7 day working week.  Also how are you assigned?  after school do you get like a home yard, and you report within that vicinity or how does it work.  Thanks dude for this info, and what youve already provided.

Also, do they provide you with a uniform check, or give you any gear? thanks 

Edited by newyorkNYC11

cptjcz, whats up dude...bout to start track school on monday.

I know ill find out soon enough, but hows the scheduling work? is it a 6 day or 7 day working week.  Also how are you assigned?  after school do you get like a home yard, and you report within that vicinity or how does it work.  Thanks dude for this info, and what youve already provided.

Also, do they provide you with a uniform check, or give you any gear? thanks 

they give you safety gear in school. there is no uniform or uniform allowance , in track just safety ware. 5 day work week. 2 days off. at school u  get a mini pick based on class seniority. u get called  to pick a location,one at a time. the number of choices match the number of student. the locations may vary from class to class.  a location which could be a yard or a employee facility underground. the instructors will usually help find the track quarters(facility/locker room). Mini picks are temporary job assignments until u get the general pick and ur competing for permenant jobs. general pick involves the entire track dept picking  a job based upon thier track seniority number

they give you safety gear in school. there is no uniform or uniform allowance , in track just safety ware. 5 day work week. 2 days off. at school u  get a mini pick based on class seniority. u get called  to pick a location,one at a time. the number of choices match the number of student. the locations may vary from class to class.  a location which could be a yard or a employee facility underground. the instructors will usually help find the track quarters(facility/locker room). Mini picks are temporary job assignments until u get the general pick and ur competing for permenant jobs. general pick involves the entire track dept picking  a job based upon thier track seniority number

Got you.. thanks man...By safety gear, does that include boots? If not, i gotta go grab some red wings.

They give you boots. Save your money. Boots bought on your own need to be transit approved and need to meet a bunch of specs before you can wear them on track.

I agree 100%....a few years ago, thanks to the NY Transit Museum, I was on a tour of one of the IRT shops/yards in the Bronx. While in the break room, I saw a sign of approved footwear for the Conductors, Train Operators and Train Service Supervisors, in which I briefly recorded the information. After doing some research, the only product the company makes to this date is this type.

In addition, a family friend of ours got me a pair of approved TA boots over 10 years ago. Although the manufacturer, Lehigh Safey Shoes doesn't make them anymore, I did some research to find a pair or two which, in my opinion, are the most similar to these. After briefly looking through over 400 different kinds, the ones that I felt were most similar can be viewed at http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/mens-safety-shoes/dickies-challenger-steel-toe-waterproof-boot/DW7525.html?dwvar_DW7525_color=01 and http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/mens-safety-shoes/knapp-backhoe-steel-toe-work-boot/KN5025.html?dwvar_KN5025_color=01.

Now since I have received about 3 different pair of boots from the family friend, I just want to emphasize some of the things, which, in my opinion, that they will look for immediately (in addition to the other specifications):

a) The boot has to be either 99% or 100% all black. The pair I got over 10 years ago is 100% all black with the exception of the yellow and white Lehigh Safety Shoes logo on the tongue, respectively.

b) The boots have to be steel toe.

I did a brief search for "Red Wings Boots," and if you do purchase one of those, you'll just be wasting your money.

Feedback? Thanks in advance...

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

I agree 100%....a few years ago, thanks to the NY Transit Museum, I was on a tour of one of the IRT shops/yards in the Bronx. While in the break room, I saw a sign of approved footwear for the Conductors, Train Operators and Train Service Supervisors, in which I briefly recorded the information. After doing some research, the only product the company makes to this date is this type.

In addition, a family friend of ours got me a pair of approved TA boots over 10 years ago. Although the manufacturer, Lehigh Safey Shoes doesn't make them anymore, I did some research to find a pair or two which, in my opinion, are the most similar to these. After briefly looking through over 400 different kinds, the ones that I felt were most similar can be viewed at http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/mens-safety-shoes/dickies-challenger-steel-toe-waterproof-boot/DW7525.html?dwvar_DW7525_color=01 and http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/mens-safety-shoes/knapp-backhoe-steel-toe-work-boot/KN5025.html?dwvar_KN5025_color=01.

Now since I have received about 3 different pair of boots from the family friend, I just want to emphasize some of the things, which, in my opinion, that they will look for immediately (in addition to the other specifications):

a) The boot has to be either 99% or 100% all black. The pair I got over 10 years ago is 100% all black with the exception of the yellow and white Lehigh Safety Shoes logo on the tongue, respectively.

b) The boots have to be steel toe.

I did a brief search for "Red Wings Boots," and if you do purchase one of those, you'll just be wasting your money.

Feedback? Thanks in advance...

The specs you saw are for RTO only.

Track dept. (MOW) is it's own world with different rules officially.

Because RTO are in the public eye management wants a consistent look with RTO employee uniforms (all black shoes.)

Track dept does not care what color your shoes are since we are not in the public eye as part of our job. As long as they meet the specs any color or style is fine.

I myself have Brown red wings. Another co-worker has pull on boots with no laces or zipper.

Steel toe or fiberglass is acceptable. 

Later I can upload a copy of the memo outlining the specs.

Hytest is the new boot though most guys are partial to timberland Pros or redwings. I also have a pair of "Thorogood" boots in brown I wear that meet the specs.

When wearing your own boots you carry a little piece of paper listing the boot name, model and color authorizing you to wear them in place of the TA issue.

Edited by dp142

The specs you saw are for RTO only.

Track dept. (MOW) is it's own world with different rules officially.

Because RTO are in the public eye management wants a consistent look with RTO employee uniforms (all black shoes.)

Track dept does not care what color your shoes are since we are not in the public eye as part of our job. As long as they meet the specs any color or style is fine.

I myself have Brown red wings. Another co-worker has pull on boots with no laces or zipper.

Steel toe or fiberglass is acceptable. 

Later I can upload a copy of the memo outlining the specs.

Hytest is the new boot though most guys are partial to timberland Pros or redwings. I also have a pair of "Thorogood" boots in brown I wear that meet the specs.

When wearing your own boots you carry a little piece of paper listing the boot name, model and color authorizing you to wear them in place of the TA issue.

Thanks for the info dp142, I was curious about this myself. It's good to know I can get a note, and wear boots that my feet have been used to for years. I've worn Carolina 508's with the external met guard. They're made in USA and comfortable as hell. Timberland used to make good boots, but they're not the same quality as they were 10+ years ago. That's my opinion anyway. For anyone who's interested here's the link below for the Carolina Boots, they're a bit pricey, but worth every penny. These come in 6" and 8" if you need the extra ankle support.

http://www.carolinashoe.com/Product?stockNo=508

We don't wear steel toe on track. The last thing you want with steel toe is a 1200 pound rail dropping on your foot. It'll cut you toes clear off and that's a standard rail we call it a stick. Or you don't want conductive material on your feet around 1200 live volts. These boots go through hell down in the hole. You get issued 2 pairs. The choice of 6" or 8" high. Mix and match or the same choice is yours or may not be depending on availability at the time. We use composite toe on track. Don't go getting crazy buying ppe before it is issued to you. The TA frowns upon you having non transit issued equipment unless it is authorized by the TA in writing. Also if you are wearing non approved ppe and something happens to you, the TA will try to get out of paying your compensation for not having a specific issued piece of ppe. By the way ppe stand for personal protective equipment for thos of you who are unfamiliar with the term.

We don't wear steel toe on track. The last thing you want with steel toe is a 1200 pound rail dropping on your foot. It'll cut you toes clear off and that's a standard rail we call it a stick. Or you don't want conductive material on your feet around 1200 live volts. These boots go through hell down in the hole. You get issued 2 pairs. The choice of 6" or 8" high. Mix and match or the same choice is yours or may not be depending on availability at the time. We use composite toe on track. Don't go getting crazy buying ppe before it is issued to you. The TA frowns upon you having non transit issued equipment unless it is authorized by the TA in writing. Also if you are wearing non approved ppe and something happens to you, the TA will try to get out of paying your compensation for not having a specific issued piece of ppe. By the way ppe stand for personal protective equipment for thos of you who are unfamiliar with the term.

Nothing personal, but I love the steel toe myths, unless you know someone personally that this has happened to, and introduce me to this person, it's absolute bs, and it's been proven many many times. Steel Toe boots have been rated in arbor press testing with a rating of around 6000 psi before failure. I've worked in heavy union construction for 14 years, I've seen lots of horrific injuries, and a few people who've died. Never once have I ever heard of someone loosing their toes because of steel toe boots. In any event 1200lbs hitting you feet, doesn't matter what you're wearing, your feet will be f**ked regardless.

Also the 3rd rail is 625 volts, not 1200. But again it really doesn't matter, because you'll be cooked well done in a matter of seconds anyhow. But I get your point and appreciate the info on how the TA is in regards to the issued gear. Since the boots are free I'll definitely try them, and who knows I might like em. When I'm at school I'll get the 411 on what they want in regards for the boot specs. Also the metatarsal guard, whether external, or internal is designed not only to prevent damage to the top of your feet, it's also designed to prevent any instance of cap shearing.

Here's a link below in regards to the ANSI steel toe ratings. Bottom line if steel toes weren't safe they wouldn't be on the market for sale. Also your feet should never be under something, such as a 1200 lb rail in the event something catastrophic could happen, it's called situational awareness.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5385169_define-ansi-steel-toe.html

Some transit facts and figures, also mentions the power of an energized 3rd rail.

http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Subway_FAQ:_Facts_and_Figures

I've the 2 page PDF file regarding the boots.

I'm unable to upload or even cut and paste a copy of it.

If anyone likes feel free to message me an email address and I'll send it to you if you know how to post it.

At one time we had the external metatarsal boots but they were getting caught on the ladder rungs on the bench wall and deemed a safety hazard. The specs however do not mention internal or external but I believe a memo came out stating internal. No one has external anymore but I'll try to get a copy.

As for the toe it can be either steel or composite. If you get hurt or killed you'll be blamed either way.
A 3rd Rail maintainer was electrocuted in the summer of 1998 when he fell on a uncovered live rail. Management went thru his locker and tried asking the wife if he had the second pair still in the box somewhere and blamed his death on him wearing his boots longer then he should have.

As for rails on your boots when I first started I walked right into a third rail (contact rail) that was being placed on the ground. They weigh 150 lbs. every 3' and are 39' in length. The rail landed on my boot with the steel toe. It wasn't dropped but lowered quick. The boot was fine and my foot swelled up like in a cartoon and hurt for a week.

Well I found this surfing about. It's a TWU100 memorandum in regards to the process of getting your own shoes and the requirements. It's from 2011, not sure if anything has changed, but again when I'm in school I'll ask the instructors.

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/alternative_safety_boots_ohs_form_12_20_10_current.pdf

@dp142

It's just says metatarsal, no specific external or internal requirement, ( shrugs ) I'll ask around when class starts. But again my feet might like the transit issued boots, so I'll give those a go regardless. Thanks again for the info as always.

Edited by SteveNYC

Well I found this surfing about. It's a TWU100 memorandum in regards to the process of getting your own shoes and the requirements. It's from 2011, not sure if anything has changed, but again when I'm in school I'll ask the instructors.

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/alternative_safety_boots_ohs_form_12_20_10_current.pdf

@dp142

It's just says metatarsal, no specific external or internal requirement, ( shrugs ) I'll ask around when class starts. But again my feet might like the transit issued boots, so I'll give those a go regardless. Thanks again for the info as always.

That's the exact memo I was trying to upload. Glad you found it and shared it.

In all honesty the issued boots were always fine with me. I'm not sure if they were good for my feet in the long run but they were comfortable.

The ones issued within the last two years were wide enough for my feet and I was happy with them except every time I took a step I could feel the edge of the composite or steel toe cut into the top of my foot. It's the only reason I went through the hassle of getting my own.

Track has a private FB page and guys post what they are wearing. Many are buying the Hytest boots which have the contract now but a better boot than the one issued.

Your aloud to get new boots and I highy recommend you buy your own boots I've got my paper work in the process a dude in my gang just picked up a pair a timbs and said it's like walking on air compared to the ones you get from transit plus he said his back doesn't hurt anymore after about 2 weeks in his new boots. This forum is mostly opinions and I'm just giving mine you will all figure your way down here what works for you. Take what you want from what people say but only you know what's best for you that goes for how to work as well. Everyone down here is an expert and had a better way to do things like swinging a jerry or slotting etc... Some things may work others won't but I assure you there's nothing to worry about down here so don't over think everything and enjoy the job it is def a lot of fun. Good luck and congratulations to everyone coming in next class

So got my email to come down for processing Friday and everything went good.

List number 500-520

Passed all medical and got sworn in for the March 28th class. 

Got there around 7am and didn't leave till 3:15pm. It's def a all day process so bring lunch. I made the mistake of just drinking orange juice in the morning and by 12 I'm starving but didn't want to leave in case I missed my name being called for anything. 

As someone posted earlier .. Once you get there you get your number and they collect a few documents then you go behind the blue wall and wait for them to call you. 

• You will go to computer and answer a ton of med questions about health and also respirators (found that one odd).
  • Once done docs will call you into another waiting room to start the test.
  • Hearing test was first (standard press button everytime you hear a sound. Recommend you listen to no music or headphones on the day so as to not mess with your test.) After done back to waiting room to wait for next test
  • After hearing went and did pee test for blood in urine, excess sugar etc. That was quick .. then back to waiting room.
  • Next up was EKG 
  • Then after that you do a lung capacity test.

Once you do all that you go back to outside to the main waiting area and wait for doc to call you to do the standard rundown.

• Squat
  • Touch your toes
  • Walk to the wall on your tippy toes
  • Walk backwards on your heels 
  • Rotate your arms in 360 circle back and forth
  • Stethoscope, cough ..deep breath etc 

Once you pass that back to the main waiting area where you submit your docs and wait to be called for interview. Get sworn in.

Once that is done, if everything goes good, send you to get your pic taken for badge

Fingerprints 

Home. 

Thanks to everyone who initially told me to go down there and sort stuff out when I got my letter a week late because they sent it to the wrong address.

My one question is that on the green paper they give you with instructions on where to show up for training on the third day I am reporting to BK and it says wear good solid shoes (preferably work shoes) until NYCT provides required work shoes. So wear office shoes until I get boots ?

Edited by Marcel876

Congratulations Marcel, it's nice too see the majority of the members on the forum, in the track thread doing well, and getting though medical without issues. That's the biggest thing. I was done with medical by like 11:30am, but wasn't interviewed till around 2:30pm. I didn't get out till like 4:30pm, the fingerprint waiting took forever, and there was like 6 ppl left in the whole place.

Also what they mean by work shoes, is wear your boots until you are issued ones by the TA which we'll get on the 3rd day. You don't have to go crazy, just dress casual for the 2 days of orientation. But I would say from the 3rd day on (PS 248), dress like you would if you were going to a job site.

Anyway I'll see you the 28th, I'm wondering what the class size is. I asked my interviewer, and she wasn't certain, even though I was the first one sworn in for the March class.

Also @ at any current Transit members, preferably long time employees:

I've been hearing, and reading about this MCU Bank. From what I understand is you get paid 2 days early with direct deposit. But I've been also reading mixed reviews everywhere. Some say the bank is great, some say avoid it like the plague. Though they do have decent interest rates. By today's standards anyway lol. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Also @ at any current Transit members, preferably long time employees:

I've been hearing, and reading about this MCU Bank. From what I understand is you get paid 2 days early with direct deposit. But I've been also reading mixed reviews everywhere. Some say the bank is great, some say avoid it like the plague. Though they do have decent interest rates. By today's standards anyway lol. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

First, MCU is NOT a bank - it is a credit union. With that said, generally speaking, there are several advantages/disadvantages of a bank compared to a credit union. One advantage is the interest rates, however I am unsure if it is covered under the FDIC (click on the link for more information).

Regardless if it is a bank or a credit union, there are several advantages of direct deposit: Your net pay goes directly into your account (when this takes place depends on the company), you don't have to worry about losing your paycheck, depositing your paycheck and waiting for it to clear. Next, since the money goes directly into your account, you will be able to use the money immediately to pay bills, other expenses, etc.

Regardless if it is a bank or a credit union, there are several advantages of direct deposit: Your net pay goes directly into your account (when this takes place depends on the company), you don't have to worry about losing your paycheck, depositing your paycheck and waiting for it to clear. Next, since the money goes directly into your account, you will be able to use the money immediately to pay bills, other expenses, etc.

I understand this part very clearly, I've been with Citibank for 16 years, and have had direct deposit with a few companies that I was employed with. But I'm also looking to get away from Citibank, because quite frankly they suck. But I do know that MCU is for only city, and governmental employees, or people related to such members etc. I was more or less looking for reviews, as to whether this place is worth my business or not. As I said, I've read mixed reviews, but most are fairly old. I was just looking for more of an updated view. But thanks as always for the input.

Edited by SteveNYC

GOOD OL MCU. Well it's true you do get ur funds two days earlier. Better loan rates in general (home car). Also some other services. Now for the bad. Limited branches and atms. Also if you like the DMV works. Then this is bank/credit Union is for you and don't get me started on the customer service. All in all you get better perks than the bigger banks but sacrifice customer service and multi locations.

GOOD OL MCU. Well it's true you do get ur funds two days earlier. Better loan rates in general (home car). Also some other services. Now for the bad. Limited branches and atms. Also if you like the DMV works. Then this is bank/credit Union is for you and don't get me started on the customer service. All in all you get better perks than the bigger banks but sacrifice customer service and multi locations.

Thanks Bob, I've pretty much have read the same as you said in regards to the customer service being horrendous, in person, and on the phone. As far as a branch, the closest one for me is Flatbush and Nostrand, which is convenient because I take the 2 or the 5 everyday into work, and pretty much for everything else. But I'll probably give it a shot, and see how it goes. As long as I don't get hit with mysterious fees etc, I don't think I'll have an issue. Getting paid 2 days early is an incentive, and a selling point for me, besides the better interest rates.