Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard about the boots thing, I have a question about that. Should I get those boots a half a size bigger to fit insoles in them? And 2, what is this structure I keep hearing about. If anyone could post a youtube video or a google images link of a picture of this structure that we walk on because I'm driving myself crazy here picturing walking on six flag nitro or some shit haha, I'm not the most comfortable with extreme heights but I am okay on minor heights if that makes any sense.

I've heard about the boots thing, I have a question about that. Should I get those boots a half a size bigger to fit insoles in them? And 2, what is this structure I keep hearing about. If anyone could post a youtube video or a google images link of a picture of this structure that we walk on because I'm driving myself crazy here picturing walking on six flag nitro or some shit haha, I'm not the most comfortable with extreme heights but I am okay on minor heights if that makes any sense.

I believe that structure refers too upper level (outdoor)trains tracks aka the L

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

And 2, what is this structure I keep hearing about. If anyone could post a youtube video or a google images link of a picture of this structure that we walk on because I'm driving myself crazy here...

Click here, here, here, here & here. If you go here and scroll down 3/4 of the page to 8912 & 8913, it says "In the summer of 2004, cars 8912-13 were taken the Tiffany Street Iron Shops, a training and fabrication facility for el structure maintainers, in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx. They are part of a elevated structure mock-up that stretches about 180 feet, with station and platform included."

I believe that structure refers too upper level (outdoor)trains tracks aka the L

It's similar, but it's not the real thing, that's all. If you look carefully, the subway cars are stationary.

Lol..I hear you on the scared oh heights but I'm more scared of not having a career...So with that said..I will have to suck it up and not look down..lol

So you got a full book as a Cement Laborer, 6A is a good job. I was a Local 40 Ironworker for 15 years, but I'll be honest with you, you will make less as far as an hourly rate here. But in the long run you'll be making allot more, and it's consistent. Plus you have a city pension, and lifetime health coverage. The construction unions aren't what they used to be, right now the building boom is good, but it's going to slow down, and when it does it can last for years. My best year as an Ironworker I made over 190k, the following year I barely broke 50k. With Transit you have stability, having peace of mind in this day in age is what you want over anything. I still pay my dues and maintain my Ironworker book. I was hesitant to leave as well. But in the end you do what makes you happy.

Thanks for the input Steve! I've started looking into it and am still undecided. Once I find out the details of this job hopefully I can compare correctly and make the right decision for me. Ironworker is a tough job so I definitely respect your opinion. How would you compare the physical labor from local 40 to a track worker? Also where can I find the details of the pension, annuity, health coverage for this position so I can compare it to my book benifits I'm receiving now? Thanks again.

Just a update guys, went to Livingston today got there at 7:30 was done by 11. It was pretty packed but most of the ppl there where there for bus operater. I Handed in my paperwork for the job history waited a few did my drug screening and it was a rap. Thought I would be there till the afternoon but it moved faster then I thought. Told me to keep a eye on my email and sent me home, pretty simple! #95x on the list

Just a update guys, went to Livingston today got there at 7:30 was done by 11. It was pretty packed but most of the ppl there where there for bus operater. I Handed in my paperwork for the job history waited a few did my drug screening and it was a rap. Thought I would be there till the afternoon but it moved faster then I thought. Told me to keep a eye on my email and sent me home, pretty simple! #95x on the list

Nice..I go in Friday for the same process #111*

Did they give you a 21 page packet to take home and file out??

I wear 10 1/2, got mine in 11. 

You will get a chance to try them on before you decide what size to take. 

However the Timberland work boot insoles are pretty good, you can find them on Amazon. Price is around 20-30 bucks per pair. 

The structure is referring to the elevated subway lines that run in the outer boroughs.

See below for an example of it.

P1120786.jpg

Thought any hires after 2014 would max out in 5 at around $35 per hr?

If I remember in orientation they said 6, however could be 5. Still a long wait for max pay regardless.

Thank you everyone for elaborating on my questions and posting the pictures of this so called structure. Ill worry about it when I have to. I have heard the odds are pretty good that ill be on overnights in maintenance where they never work on elevated structures, so we will see. Anyways, I go in to tomorrow for medical and final processing. This will be my 2nd medical, unless of course I go in and just go straight to final processing if my other medical is still valid. There was some confusion about it when I asked because I was called for medical in mid July which means by the 90 rule my medical would be expired by the start of the next class, however it was august when I finally made it in with my doctors note and was cleared and the people I asked were not sure what date they would go by. Regardless I have all my paperwork from last time and a brand new note from my doctor that I picked up today so there are no issues when the same EKG abnormality comes up tomorrow. So here is to a long ass day at Livingston tomorrow, Ill keep you guys posted on whatever I hear/see.

Hi new to the forums just starting with transit. I have to go for my screening on friday

I was wondering for any new people and some more experienced members if they have any tips when it comes to field work what kinds of clothes are durable for track work: pants, shoes[or insoles for the TA boots], shirts, Brands and item numbers are appreciated. what kind of stuff is good to wear in the winter to keep warm thermals ect. Can i bring my own gloves flashlight as a backup or if transit`s equipment isnt as good? what kind of items am i required to keep with me at all times besides my helmet pass gloves and flashlight?

What is difficult about this job tedious/ heavy lifting grease gunk ect getting on your hands and hard to get off. I dont mind any of it i just want to be prepared.

Thanks

Went to my medical and final processing today, I begin orientation on Oct 31st. The medical typically includes a vision and hearing test, ekg, breath capacity test, and urine test in which they test blood sugars and such. I had a completed medical from July and only had to take the vision and urine test again. After that you will hand your certificate stating you have passed your medical to the woman in the front and hand in your paperwork. You will be called in to an office where someone will go over all your paperwork and make sure its in order. They will give you your books and orientation information as well as your employee pass number. Then you go in to the pass office to take a picture for your employee pass which I am told you will receive on orientation day. Afterwards you are fingerprinted and handed a receipt of completion which you hand to the guy who completed your paperwork and you are free to go. Good luck to everyone, I will see some of you in the next class.

Went to my medical and final processing today, I begin orientation on Oct 31st. The medical typically includes a vision and hearing test, ekg, breath capacity test, and urine test in which they test blood sugars and such. I had a completed medical from July and only had to take the vision and urine test again. After that you will hand your certificate stating you have passed your medical to the woman in the front and hand in your paperwork. You will be called in to an office where someone will go over all your paperwork and make sure its in order. They will give you your books and orientation information as well as your employee pass number. Then you go in to the pass office to take a picture for your employee pass which I am told you will receive on orientation day. Afterwards you are fingerprinted and handed a receipt of completion which you hand to the guy who completed your paperwork and you are free to go. Good luck to everyone, I will see some of you in the next class.

Congrats! Please keep us posted...

Went today to 180 Livingston for the first part of this process. We signed in went up to the fifth floor and signed in again.They looked at my paperwork [invitation letter, job history packet, ss card, birth certificate and driver license] gave us a 21 page packet to complete at home and some other paperwork to fill out there for past employment and a background check. We were called based on the order we signed in. When everything is in order they send you to the laboratory to get a urine sample. You get a receipt afterwards I just showed it to the people who handled your paperwork and we were free to go. They didnt do vision hearing breathe capacity. We didnt get any books or equipment or a pass number. We also didnt get fingerprinted. Is this everyones experience for track worker? Do we do all those things after the sample is analyzed and the background check comes back clean?

Thanks,

Kevin

Finally got out after hours of sitting..Took my lab around 12:30.. The lady that called me to hand in my paperwork wasn't informative on next process or what to expect...Seems like some of these people are miserable with there jobs..But in any case was given a 21 page packet to take home... I guess I should be waiting for a email for the next process.. #111*

Went today to 180 Livingston for the first part of this process. We signed in went up to the fifth floor and signed in again....

This is everyone's experience, not only for Track Worker, but for other titles as well (Bus Operator, Conductor, etc.) because if your drug test comes back positive, then they're not going to bother with the medical nor the pass #.

Mind I ask what your list # is? (Please hide the last digit or two in order to hide your identity.)