Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

Hello all, Today was the last day (8/8) to submit an application for the track workers test in april. Ive submitted my application online and I guess I wait until i get a letter in the mail to get the exact date of the test. Now being unemployed and ''Uneducated'' according to a piece of paper known as a diploma I am very anxious for this. Id like to know a few things: what does the exam consist of? Is it general knowledge or stuff youd have to learn from a manual and if so what kind of manual is it and wheres the best place to begin studying. I also would like to know if the waiting period is very long once you take the test will you be running through hoops for a few weeks months or years even? I am very hopeful and would love to hear your guys input. Thank you and be safe out there LD

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the previous Track Worker test back in '06 or so and if it's anything like the one that I took, it's basically a reading comprehension multiple choice test. I remember it also asked several questions about tools(they'll show you a picture and you have to choose the correct one). No book will help you for this exam. They don't expect you to know the stuff beforehand, so there's no need to study for it(maybe brush up on your tools, but that's about it).

If you've never taken a civil service exam, it's all about patience. It takes years to be called after taking the exam, assuming you did well enough to be called and the hiring needs for the position. I waited almost 6 years before I got a letter to start the hiring process for Track Worker. It took 6 years becuase there was a hiring freeze. In that time, I took another MTA exam, scored much better on the test and now I'm working in a different job title. Even that one took about 3 or so years from taking the exam to being sworn in and on the job. I'm pretty sure that if there was no hiring freeze during that period, I would've been working as a Track Worker.

So in the mean time, try to find another line of work. Always have a back up plan. Once it's time to take the exam, relax and don't stress it.

Edited by Tricknologist

I took the previous Track Worker test back in '06 or so and if it's anything like the one that I took, it's basically a reading comprehension multiple choice test. I remember it also asked several questions about tools(they'll show you a picture and you have to choose the correct one). No book will help you for this exam. They don't expect you to know the stuff beforehand, so there's no need to study for it(maybe brush up on your tools, but that's about it).

If you've never taken a civil service exam, it's all about patience. It takes years to be called after taking the exam, assuming you did well enough to be called and the hiring needs for the position. I waited almost 6 years before I got a letter to start the hiring process for Track Worker. It took 6 years becuase there was a hiring freeze. In that time, I took another MTA exam, scored much better on the test and now I'm working in a different job title. Even that one took about 3 or so years from taking the exam to being sworn in and on the job. I'm pretty sure that if there was no hiring freeze during that period, I would've been working as a Track Worker.

So in the mean time, try to find another line of work. Always have a back up plan. Once it's time to take the exam, relax and don't stress it.

Thank you very much for your reply, I've worked construction off the books for about a year. Its hard to keep a steady job. Im hoping this will turn into a career with room for advancement.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

"This e-mail is to inform you that we will be holding a 1 day class in Queens sometime in march 2013 (before the exam date) at Christ Lutheran Center 85-15 101 Ave South Ozone Park for the Track Worker Exam 3600. I had taken taken the class that was given for the 2613 bus operator exam and it was well worth the $60 I paid. If your more than interested in scoring a few extra points on your test to get the job you should benefit from taking this class. I will get an update on the information you will need and post it as soon as possible.

Edited by 64cavemen

I know it has been a long time, however mind if I ask what your list numbers were, since you had to wait 6 years, which included the hiring freeze?

They obviously made a mistake, either way if the exam is on March 23rd or on April 6th of next yearwe will be notified 10 days in advance. I never heard of a promo and open competitive exam being heldon the same day.

Not true. DCAS always did promo and open competitive exams on the same day. When I took promo C/R exam in 2008 my wife was taking the O/C exam. Samething for the T/O exam the following year.

I got the email is said

nyctatrackworkerclass@gmail.com

1 day class Classes Date SATURDAY March 16TH
Location-Classes to be held at 85-15 101 Ave Christ Lutheran Church in south Ozone Park Queens 10416
Doors open at 9am Pay at the door, NO Credit Cards Cash or Money order
Instructor has 30 years Experience with NYC TRANSIT
Our students score 25% higher! And get hired sooner!

All LESSON PLANS WILL BE SUPPLIED - All you need is pencils, pens, calculator and a note book.
$75.00 covers all A small price to pay for a $30.00 an Hour Career
E-mail us for information on how to register or call AL - 718-219 2323 10am to 9pm

Ok guys... as I promised to get back to you with some updated information for the track workers 3600 exam class. As for me I use these guys and went to their preparation Class for the 2613 bus operators exam and I could say it was very helpful and well worth the money!

Ok guys... as I promised to get back to you with some updated information for the track workers 3600 exam class. As for me I use these guys and went to their preparation Class for the 2613 bus operators exam and I could say it was very helpful and well worth the money!

can someone please tell me where I can get the study guide for the track worker exam 3600? .my usual book store closed and i'm stumped on how to study for this exam..thanks for your time

Taking the class would be your best bet...like someone else said, there is no 'study guide' for this exam...