Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

26 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I know I have to wait, however what I'm expecting to happen is for the HR Department to "get their act together" and try to keep it together as far as losing people's paperwork, "screen" errors, clerical errors, communicating with each other, the physician's misdiagnosing certain medical conditions, etc., especially with the "false" letters that most of us got in late September, and when we were expecting to take a drug test, we not only got turned away, but also were told to go back to DCAS to restore our name to the list for an error that was not our fault. Gees...

That's what I'm personally expecting to happen. If not, then, IMHO, incoming President Andy Byford should definitely get involved.

Please stop bumping the thread/topic...just be patient and someone will reply shortly with an accurate response...

Ok...Don't get your hopes up. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I know, at least for the short-term, a.k.a. the next couple of months.

My last comment was in regards to hoping the system gets better, not getting hired. Hopefully they'll continue with the hiring frenzy and you'll be in here in no time. All the best and good luck. 

10 hours ago, rskbreaker said:

My last comment was in regards to hoping the system gets better, not getting hired. Hopefully they'll continue with the hiring frenzy and you'll be in here in no time. All the best and good luck. 

My apologies for the misunderstanding...on the other hand, thank you so much!!

18 hours ago, moussaberte said:

How is the class how hard is the test? Can you be kicked out if you fail?

Flagging in general isn't hard at all. If you passed the Trackworker exam, this is just another common sense test. Passing is 100%, you must get the questions all correct on the written exam. You'll see when you get to flagging school, the instructors go over everything enough as to where you should get 100% without even second thinking a question.

3 minutes ago, SteveNYC said:

Flagging in general isn't hard at all. If you passed the Trackworker exam, this is just another common sense test. Passing is 100%, you must get the questions all correct on the written exam. You'll see when you get to flagging school, the instructors go over everything enough as to where you should get 100% without even second thinking a question.

Oh alright thanks and I wouldent know about the trackworkers exam I got hired for electrical helper 

1 hour ago, SteveNYC said:

For those of us that want to get a head start, do you think it's a good idea for us to be familiar with the Flagging Rules contained within Chapter 3 of this download, or should we just wait for the Flagging class?

Thanks in advance for your input...

13 hours ago, +Young+ said:

For those of us that want to get a head start, do you think it's a good idea for us to be familiar with the Flagging Rules contained within Chapter 3 of this download, or should we just wait for the Flagging class?

Thanks in advance for your input...

Just wait for the flagging class. That rule book posted is outdated, the latest one is the June 2016 edition. The flagging book also was updated as of January 2016. Without going into too much detail, no one here will have a problem in flagging school. Everyone that's going into school will have no problems passing the course. Test is multiple choice, and very straightforward as long as you pay attention. You guys will also get track safety certified before you go to flagging school. When I finished training, I had a 3 week wait before my flagging instruction began. Having the track safety card allows you to enter, and work on the roadbed, you just can't flag, or setup lights.

Edited by SteveNYC

On 12/1/2017 at 11:17 PM, moussaberte said:

How is the class how hard is the test? Can you be kicked out if you fail?

The class is 9 days.

Day 1 you will be instructed by a Schoolcar TSS (If I'm doing a double, it could be me). That's where you learn the basics.
Day 2 you report to Chambers St. Flagging and learn some more. 

Day 3-8, I don't know what you do besides post.

Day 9, you come back to Schoolcar, where once again you will be instructed by a Schoolcar TSS. We collect your paperwork, and it's a review day. When I do the class, I do CBTC Flagging on Day 9.

The Final is 100% for passing. I'm not telling you any more. Yes, you can be kicked out if you fail. I take this class seriously; your lives depend on it.

As long as you study and ask questions, you will be fine. 

Once you are a qualified Flagger, you must be refreshed every year. It is an 8 hour class at P.S. 248, either 0700-1500 or 2200-0600. I teach the midnight class. 

One thing I will stress:

ALWAYS SHOW UP WITH YOUR PROPER PPE, INCLUDING FOOTWEAR. If you don't, you get thrown out. 

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR TRACK CARD ON YOU AT ALL TIMES, INCLUDING IN CLASSES. We check for them. Per Rule you are supposed to have it on you when at work. Not in your locker. That includes in classes. If you don't, we can throw you out of class.

SHOW UP ON TIME. DON'T RETURN FROM BREAKS LATE. I assure you, if you do this in my class, YOU WILL BE THROWN OUT. And my boss will back me up 100%. 

This job is yours to lose once you're in. 

Edited by mediccjh

2 hours ago, mediccjh said:

Day 3-8, I don't know what you do besides post

Day 3-8 is where you go to post, you'll get that information in Track School. You could be sent to one of a few places.

East New York Yard

East 180th St Yard

38th St Yard

Queensboro Plaza

From these locations you'll be sent out with a maintenance gang, either on the structure or open cut. You could also be flagging in one of the yards. Here is where you'll go out with the flagger in the gang, set up flags, full and adjacent, in the proper sequence, distances, etc. Once all the flags are set up you place the red, and then the gang can go to work. You'll use either a whistle, or air horn to notify the gang working of a train coming, where they'll have to clear up, or you'll have to hold the train until they get the track safe for the train to proceed. They'll signal you to either hold the train, or let it proceed. Their life is in your hands remember that. You'll have paperwork that the MS1 will have to fill out everyday you post, which you'll have to bring in on day 9, which is your final.

If any of you guys should get Queensboro Plaza you'll either be flagging on the N or the 7 line. I was mostly on the 7 line except for one day. You'll get plenty of practice on the 7 line, it's CBTC, and the trains come every 2 minutes. You'll definitely have to hold a few trains for the gang to get any work done. But again it's good practice.

Hello, two questions

1. When will the list close?

2. It was sometime last year that medical informed me that I have abnormal EKG, took stress test, heart was fine, then they informed me I have elevated number for diabetes. Anyway, how long do I have to reopen my list position? I heard I had to do it in 30 days; it has been over a year, can I still be considered for employment?

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

Hello, two questions

1. When will the list close?

2. It was sometime last year that medical informed me that I have abnormal EKG, took stress test, heart was fine, then they informed me I have elevated number for diabetes. Anyway, how long do I have to reopen my list position? I heard I had to do it in 30 days; it has been over a year, can I still be considered for employment?

For your first question, according to this link, the list will close on December 17th, 2018 (type "3600" in the box on the top right). The list might get extended for another year or two, however nothing is definite as of now.

As far as your second question is concerned, you have until the list expires to reopen your list position. Since it's been over a year, you will probably have to restore your name to the list. As far as how to restore your name to the list via e-mail, which is the easiest option, click here and scroll down to post #4804. According to the prior post, #4803, your name will be restored to the list within the same week. Next, you just have to wait for 180 Livingston Street to invite down the next "batch" or "group" of prospective Track Workers to their office to begin the pre-employment process. For you @Thomas, you will have to start the process from scratch, since the drug tests are valid for 30 calendar days, and the medical exam and the pre-employment paperwork are good for 90 calendar days.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

9 minutes ago, colin said:

Hello, my list number is in the upper 2800s Anyone know when i should hear about medical/drug testing

thanks

You probably should have taken your first drug test already since I've seen people on this forum in the same range as you had already taken an initial drug test. Medical probably going to be a little bit longer. I'd give them a call and ask about your status 

7 hours ago, colin said:

Hello, my list number is in the upper 2800s Anyone know when i should hear about medical/drug testing

thanks

First of all, welcome to the site!!

Second, did they mail you a notice in September inviting you to come in on September 29th for a drug test? Even if you still have it, and you didn't go to Livingston Street back then or if you did and they turned you away, you can go down now to hand in your pre-employment paperwork and take the first drug test. With a list number in the low 2800's, that's what I did, and I was able to take a drug test back on November 7th.

As far as going back for a second drug test, to re-hand in the pre-employment paperwork (since it lasts 90 calendar days) and/or for the physical, hopefully we'll hear from them by next Spring. According to post #2771, they're up to # 2121 on the list, so they're not that far away, plus those with lower list numbers who have re-instated themselves to the list.

Edited by +Young+

anyone in the 22xx range get a reply yet? i had called and they said they are up to 2121, however yesterday marked my 90th calendar since my pre-employment day on 09/06 so maybe soon? 

Edited by +Young+
Typographical error...

4 hours ago, nycFin said:

anyone in the 22xx range get a reply yet? i had called and they said they are up to 2121, however yesterday marked my 90th calendar since my pre-employment day on 09/06 so maybe soon? 

Im in the 22** range and still havent heard anything. Been trying to reach out everyday for a status update with no luck. 

1 hour ago, Patrick88 said:

Im in the 22** range and still havent heard anything. Been trying to reach out everyday for a status update with no luck. 

i had went in person a few weeks ago and called frequently just to make sure everything is in order. They told me over the phone and in person that they're not up to me yet just keep an eye out for that email.

People I'm in the current class for track worker. They are not done hiring, they are hiring around 50 at a time, there's another class apparently at the end of December.   And they gonna keep hiring 50 ish at a time for future classes. The list should move fairly quickly. 

With thst said it seems like some classes are exclusively for cleaning gang. And others are mixed  . For example last class, apparently it was a class that was going to cleaning gang mostly . With my current class only  a little less than half of all the picks were only cleaning picks. Most was  maintenance picks.