Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

If you think you were skipped you have to call them. I never got my second letter to come down for a drug test it just never showed up. I saw on here someone after me got called in and I called up. They let me come down two days later with my original drug test paper and I got hired from that.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ extending past the 4 year cycle, yes. Gentlemen who hired me said 100% going to last longer then that. Said we need more track workers and that they haven’t even been hiring them off the 3600 list for that many years. He said every year the city try’s to stop them from extending list but they always succeed 

@ the not getting a letter. ME TOO!!!! I didn’t get a letter for my physical, I just kept calling every Monday to get a status update. One Monday I called and they told me I was supposed to come down a few days before for a physical and that they sent me a letter which I never received. So guys call ‭(212) 669-1357‬ with your list number as much as possible and ask about your status

One thing I’ve learned in this entire experience is your going to have to fight for your job. Literally have to make getting hired by the MTA a daily thought. I made it my job to call them at least once a week and get an update

As far as the list number there up to. I’m list number 3,6xx. The last few days I went down there it was a ton of guys getting hired after their medical and finale processing. I feel like a lot more people are going to get hired between them planning to push the list back and getting a bigger budget for the tracks

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys, today was the first day for many of us! We had a total of 200 new employees. Conductors, operators, track maintainers, structural maintainers and track workers etc. 40/200 are working on the track. Everyone who comes in says the same thing “you guys picked the best job.”

So far we’re covering the benefits which are amazing. You get 3 different retiring systems. 401k, another number one, and the one MTA gives you. Life insurance, whole 9. 

The instructors seems mad cool and so do my other 38 brothers and 2 sisters. Everyone (except one dude who keeps asking the worlds dumbest questions) seems to have good vibes.

For you guys with a record or a troubled past, don’t feel bad. We got a few gentlemen with felnonies who are in the class. Just be honest from the beginning and transit will hire you. 

I’m not sure the actual list number there up too. But it’s somewhere around 3,56X. The instructor said they already have a September class being drafted. Good luck to all! Don’t forget about the guy behind you when you get hired! Show love and kindness and God will always bless you and your family!

Edited by MTAtookMeOutTheHood

Instructor said today in class that the September class will be the last class for this year. Everyone in the September class already received there letters 

he wouldn’t elaborate if that meant it’s gonna be a freeze for a couple months like this summer that just passed or what

level 2s who have all the administraton pull never really politic with reg track workers. Unless you buying breakfast you not getting the drop. He wouldn’t speak in details about the topic 

Thx 4 the update 

Hope it's not true

But if u go back in this thread u will c that statement from a level 2 

Over and over again

I was n the nov 2017 class and the school teacher then said our class could b the last 

We just had a pick and after everybody picked 

There were still a lot of open spots

I mean a lot there not enough track man to fill all them open spots

Just asked another level 2 today in Coney Island if September was the last class and he said theirs gon be 1 more after. I’ve gotten conflicting stories from 2 different level 2s so I’ve come to the conclusion they truly don’t know what the other hand is doing

just stay positive and call Livingston everyday 

1 minute ago, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

Just asked another level 2 today in Coney Island if September was the last class and he said theirs gon be 1 more after. I’ve gotten conflicting stories from 2 different level 2s so I’ve come to the conclusion they truly don’t know what the other hand is doing

just stay positive and call Livingston everyday 

That's a big fact, honestly no one knows what's going to happen period. They schedule classes on a demand bases, so they can't really know what the deal is unless they have a demand for track workers.  Although from what it looks like I doubt they will extend the list past this cycle as there is no reason to. What will happen probably is once the list expires in December the promotional list will be established, followed by 8600 around June 2019ish. (Most of this is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.)

The list 100% doesn’t expire in December. The list expires SIX YEARS AFTER THE FIRST PERSON OFF THAT LIST IS CALLED. Not when the test was given or anything like that. They just started calling people 2-3 years so my estimate is the list has a minimum of 2 years left

id assume they just gon freeze like they did before after the next 2 classes till a white hat decides to open the budget for something new which will trigger the hiring process again 

but like the guy above me and I said, no one truly knows shit. All you can do is believe half of what you hear and try to figure things out from talking to upper management who truly doesn’t have an idea of what’s going on. Like the guy above said, they hire off the needs of the track. Rn transit wants to modernize everything because were in the technology era, may work in everyone’s favor. The average score of everyone called rn is 90-92. People scoring that low on a city exam and being called back a miracle in itself with the job crisis amongst us 

No problem at all man. I was just like a lot of you guys, checking this shit every couple days trying to get some info. Told myself when I started I’d give all the info I could to potential hires 

Just gotta continue to be positive and stay in Livingston heels. I met a ton of guys who didn’t get calls, mail; drug test when they were supposed to. Transit makes mistakes too, and with a job this good you don’t wanna lose out on they mistake. Lot of guys were supposed to be in the April or May class got pushed to the August class because of errors on transit or their own behalf 

So far my job experience has been amazing. The job is great, the checks are even greater. I would say 80% of the people you meet are making so much money and OT the last thing in they mind is being a dick. Then you got the 20% who feel you should carry there PPE and bring them lunch because they’ve got 15 20 years here. Environment can be rough if your not use to it. Just gotta stand ten toes down, show up to work, leave all the drugs and alcohol alone and be where your supposed to be. And don’t date any females in transit. Dudes have gotten written up and days on the street for looking at a female coworker too long. It’s just not worth it. All in all I stick to myself and 2 gentleman I came in with. We cover for each other, give each other heads up with OT and other things and just mind our business 

8 hours ago, MTAtookMeOutTheHood said:

The list 100% doesn’t expire in December. The list expires SIX YEARS AFTER THE FIRST PERSON OFF THAT LIST IS CALLED. Not when the test was given or anything like that. They just started calling people 2-3 years so my estimate is the list has a minimum of 2 years left

id assume they just gon freeze like they did before after the next 2 classes till a white hat decides to open the budget for something new which will trigger the hiring process again 

but like the guy above me and I said, no one truly knows shit. All you can do is believe half of what you hear and try to figure things out from talking to upper management who truly doesn’t have an idea of what’s going on. Like the guy above said, they hire off the needs of the track. Rn transit wants to modernize everything because were in the technology era, may work in everyone’s favor. The average score of everyone called rn is 90-92. People scoring that low on a city exam and being called back a miracle in itself with the job crisis amongst us 

Amen to the quote in bold. 

The list expires after four years. The list was established Dec. 17 2014 and expires Dec. 17 2018

This is the information given when you call the DCAS automated line. 

Edited by rskbreaker

I know that’s what DCAS says but anyone who works for transit knows it’s a million technicality bs that happens. I was told 2 things directly from an hr rep 1 the list start day begins when the first person is called off of the list and not when the test is taken and 2 that every year transit fights with the city to extend the list because they need more time to call people and and the city pushes back but they ultimately reach an agreement with an extension 

im not saying the information given to me was 100% true because everyone here talks out they ass. But hopefully it is, just trying to give some of you guys some hope. Want all of you to make it and change your life like I did

this job is truly the best thing that’s ever happened to me (don’t tell my wife). Helped me change my situation. I was stuck in lower middle class working a dead end job before this. I know can provide for my kids in a way I thought wasn’t imaginable. Especially with all the OT they throwing at us

• 3 weeks later...