Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

Hey guys you are going to get called. It's just going to take the time it's going to take. Gotta be patient. While you wait to get called make sure all your stuff is in order. Training is going to be 6 weeks. They are still trying to put together an available job list for the 30 in my class. Track is always vacating positions due to retirements, transfers and promotions. If you guys were to see the training facility you would understand why they take long. Classrooms only hold about 35 roughly and not just track workers get trained here. All divisions of track get trained here and there are a lot! Other job titles also. So don't think that this is a track worker only facility. Plain and simple there is just not enough space to accommodate everyone. Hope this helps.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys you are going to get called. It's just going to take the time it's going to take. Gotta be patient. While you wait to get called make sure all your stuff is in order. Training is going to be 6 weeks. They are still trying to put together an available job list for the 30 in my class. Track is always vacating positions due to retirements, transfers and promotions. If you guys were to see the training facility you would understand why they take long. Classrooms only hold about 35 roughly and not just track workers get trained here. All divisions of track get trained here and there are a lot! Other job titles also. So don't think that this is a track worker only facility. Plain and simple there is just not enough space to accommodate everyone. Hope this helps.

Well that just gave me some hope lol

Flagging school not yet. I hear it's 9 days of training. Walk and Spezz. Good cop and bad cop. Lol. They are great instructors. They are very informative and keep you on your toes. Glad I have them as instructors!

Edited by Filterdnoiz

Have you been issued boots yet?

You have the option of getting your own (they have too meet TA specs) by having your Dr. full out a form the TA gives you stating you need to buy your own. They put you through a lot of hassle with it as far as Paper work goes. Not necessarily in justifying you needed them. You have to take them to safety to ok the boots and a trip to Livingston st. If you want to be reimbursed for a portion them.

It's well worth it to buy your own quality boots though maybe wait till probation is over in a year.

I just got the boots they gave us. They are heavy and insulated. They feel comfortable so I'm just going to stick with those plus I don't want to get the wrong ones by mistake. The boots have to have a special electrical insulation as well. You get 2 pairs so I'll just keep these for now.

For the last 22 years the boots they gave worked out ok for me.

These new ones hurt me. I got the paper filled out to buy my own that meet the TA's specs.

Do not go past a year with the same boots. Should something happen that will be one of the first things they look at is how old are your boots.

Edited by dp142

For anyone still following this forum who are already in class how are things going and where is the class held. Any body receive a letter to go for a medical recently or has that come to a complete halt. Keep this blog alive any kinda feedback is good feedback

I cleared my medical hold on Thursday feb 12. Was informed that there are no vacancies at the moment. Now it's a waiting game for the next class

I was also informed that medical and drug tests are good for 90 days from date of test. So if there isn't a class before May, I will have to do drug tests and medical again, as informed by hr

Im also on the waiting list for track workers also my list number is in the early 300. Im wating for this and I also sent in an application for the structure B mason exam. If the first class has 30 people I wonder how far up the list they went. also how many people although they didnt make the first class will be called for the next class. It seems like although they only need 30 people they still call up to 100 plus at a time. good luck to all and to everyone thats in that first class, I  guess its safe to say they made it...

When you call the DCAS automated line to find out the progress of the list numbers and it says "the list number of the last eligible certified" what does that mean? Because for this exam it says that, that list number is 756.

Ok so training is approximately 6 weeks. Training center is more or less in Gravesend/ Coney area. Class size is roughly about 30 ,but that depends on the vacancies available at the time of the next class so it will be more or less the same. The name of the game is SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY! So if that gives you a clue, that's more or less what you will be doing in the beginning of training. You learn a bit of tools and equipment as the class/training progresses but just enough to get your feet wet. Everything revolves around SAFETY. Without compromising anyone's info. The highest list number in the class so far is in the 160's. Keep in mind I'm trying to share some info with you guys without divulging anyone's personal info or getting too specific with the practices. Track workers did get a new contract and when you get called you will find out more on the discrepancies of that. As for the guy taking the structure mason test, good luck with that. That is a great choice. They start at about $10 dollars more an hr. Just so you are aware their examination is practical not written. I came up with some of those guys in the beginning of our training and those guys have a good gig!

When you call the DCAS automated line to find out the progress of the list numbers and it says "the list number of the last eligible certified" what does that mean? Because for this exam it says that, that list number is 756.

So I also called DCAS, and as of 2/15/15, out of 12,000 + people that are on this list...

...the list number of the last appointed is 156.

...the list number of the last certified is 756.

IMHO, the definition of "the list number of the last eligible certified" means that the HR Dept. of NYC Transit is up to this list number as far as calling in candidates for the first drug test, receiving the 21 page 'booklet' to fill out for final processing, etc. Now, I think this is good in a way because although the drug tests expire after 30 days, the HR Department can eliminate those candidates who fail the initial drug test, which means that they can move through the rest of the list quicker, depending on vacancies.

Hope this helps.

So I also called DCAS, and as of 2/15/15, out of 12,000 + people that are on this list...

IMHO, the definition of "the list number of the last eligible certified" means that the HR Dept. of NYC Transit is up to this list number as far as calling in candidates for the first drug test, receiving the 21 page 'booklet' to fill out for final processing, etc. Now, I think this is good in a way because although the drug tests expire after 30 days, the HR Department can eliminate those candidates who fail the initial drug test, which means that they can move through the rest of the list quicker, depending on vacancies.

Hope this helps.

That's the same thing a friend of mine said and he's a TO so hopefully that is the case. Thanks a lot.

Ok so training is approximately 6 weeks. Training center is more or less in Gravesend/ Coney area. Class size is roughly about 30 ,but that depends on the vacancies available at the time of the next class so it will be more or less the same. The name of the game is SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY! So if that gives you a clue, that's more or less what you will be doing in the beginning of training. You learn a bit of tools and equipment as the class/training progresses but just enough to get your feet wet. Everything revolves around SAFETY. Without compromising anyone's info. The highest list number in the class so far is in the 160's. Keep in mind I'm trying to share some info with you guys without divulging anyone's personal info or getting too specific with the practices. Track workers did get a new contract and when you get called you will find out more on the discrepancies of that. As for the guy taking the structure mason test, good luck with that. That is a great choice. They start at about $10 dollars more an hr. Just so you are aware their examination is practical not written. I came up with some of those guys in the beginning of our training and those guys have a good gig!

not to stray away from this post. but the guys from the structure B mason that you were in class with. do you know if they where called from putting in an application for exam 5603 or from the provisional ( temporary) openings mta had on their website? I know about the practical test. but before that you have to be qualified through education and experience before the practical. and the exam 5603 just came out in NOV of 2014.I never heard of Mta putting people on so soon even from a skilled traded exam.

thanks for your info. also,its  well appreciated  

Sorry I'm not sure about what application number they came off, but I do know that they are permanent appointees. Also they told me they took a practical exam, and no written one. They are structural maintainers. Not sure if they are similar to structure B mason in the hiring process.

IMHO, the definition of "the list number of the last eligible certified" means that the HR Dept. of NYC Transit is up to this list number as far as calling in candidates for the first drug test, receiving the 21 page 'booklet' to fill out for final processing, etc. Now, I think this is good in a way because although the drug tests expire after 30 days, the HR Department can eliminate those candidates who fail the initial drug test, which means that they can move through the rest of the list quicker, depending on vacancies.

Hope this helps.

I can honesty tell you that my list # is in the early 300 ( less than 350) and I have not heard anything from MTA through mail or phone call about a medical or drug test.  when i called the automated system today it said the certified # is 775. I dont know what that means but I know it dont mean thats the last person they contacted for a medical because I wasnt contacted as of yet. Could I be wrong absolutely but I doubt it. reading through some of the other topics in this forum it seems like HR has different numbers to handle different departments. does anyone know whats the HR # for track workers? If so that would be the best choice to find out info. IMHO. Be patient and take every civil service exam that you can. even if your working for another department and " tracks " call you, you can give it a shot and still keep your pension and retirement time. so keep pushing everyone!

Sorry I'm not sure about what application number they came off, but I do know that they are permanent appointees. Also they told me they took a practical exam, and no written one. They are structural maintainers. Not sure if they are similar to structure B mason in the hiring process.

@ilterdnoiz thanks for the input, if its not to much to ask and you run into them again can you ask if they are from the 5603 mason exam title or not ( structure has multiple positions ex. b, e, g etc.) it would be nice to know. once again thanks for your input its more then I was able to gather up online in the last couple of weeks.

thanks again,

Does anyone know whats the HR # for track workers? If so that would be the best choice to find out info.

(347) 643 8229, 8230, 8231, 8232.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Hope this helps.

I am in the 400s and haven't gotten called or received any mail about coming in for a drug test. In another forum i saw they said being eligible certified means that they have gone over your information and you are now eligible to be called in when they reach your number. But there are other forums too with different answers for what eligible certified means. I also called DCAS today and they said number of last certified is 775 and I called the 347 MTA number and the guy said they are up to 157 now so maybe someone dropped out.

Edited by Bobert