Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't estimate how fast they are moving only what # they are up too. Patience is what we all need.

I agree, that's why I emphasized in my note towards the bottom of my post that the rate was only an educated guess and nothing official.

According to Ms Robinson, they are up to list #243 in medical and final processing as of yesterday. She sounded like I was annoying her, so I didn't inquire further as to how many more she needed to fill the next trackworker class. I also wanted to ask if they notified people who failed the urine test and how soon notification would come of such a failure. As a former employee, I recall it taking no more than three days for urine results to come back from lab. I don't expect people with urine test failures to report to this thread, although I respectfully wish they would. I smoked my last joint back in february of 2010, so no judgements here.

Bad news for me at #31*. But I'm a sure bet to make the next class, whenever that happens. Just gonna have to pee again probably. I have the 21 page booklet filled out already, so it's just a matter of patiently waiting. Now to figure out how many people made the class. The last list lasted 6 years, due to some hiring freeze. Since there wasn't a quitting, firing, or resigning freeze, they have two years of catching up to do. From reading these  threads, I learned that the MTA must lawfully and contractually have a minimum number of track workers on payroll based on the mileage of track in use. And with the 7th Ave extension and the 2nd ave line coming soon, there will develop a need for more track workers. The 3600 test was easy and short compared to the last exam. 775 people scored perfectly out of 

12000+ eligibles on the 3600 while only 49 people scored 100 out of 7000+ eligibles on the last list. 

My conclusion is that many more candidates than expected should be hired from this list. Good luck folks.

Edited by +Young+

So how many people that are still active in this forum got called for the may 18 class? Congrats and good luck to you guys. Dont forget to keep us updated on how things is going and what not. I would like to know how many people are in this class, im sure we will find out soon enough although i cant see it being more than 30 ppl. For the rest of us just stay patient and take care of any tickets u may have and get all the info. They have been asking for...

Ps. For those waiting, this is Probably a good time to work on your CDL permit.

According to HR, today, the have filled up all vacancies for the may 18th class. Last person hired was 261

So how many people that are still active in this forum got called for the may 18 class? Congrats and good luck to you guys. Dont forget to keep us updated on how things is going and what not. I would like to know how many people are in this class, im sure we will find out soon enough although i cant see it being more than 30 ppl. For the rest of us just stay patient and take care of any tickets u may have and get all the info. They have been asking for...

Ps. For those waiting, this is Probably a good time to work on your CDL permit.

Why all the talk on having a CDL?

The only difference having a CDL or not makes is if during your mini-pick after Track school there is a driver's job open that requires one. Other then that at the normal pick its strictly by seniority. No preference is given too anyone for already having a CDL. You could go to APEX Technical school, become a licensed Welder but if you don't have the seniority to pick a welders job then that's the end of it.

The only time It may be beneficial is if the driver is out for some reason and even then they have a second driver as back up.

The TA will pay for your CDL along with any other training necessary (including the crane & heavy machinery) for a job you "pick" based on your seniority.

Why all the talk on having a CDL?

The only difference having a CDL or not makes is if during your mini-pick after Track school there is a driver's job open that requires one. Other then that at the normal pick its strictly by seniority. No preference is given too anyone for already having a CDL. You could go to APEX Technical school, become a licensed Welder but if you don't have the seniority to pick a welders job then that's the end of it.

The only time It may be beneficial is if the driver is out for some reason and even then they have a second driver as back up.

The TA will pay for your CDL along with any other training necessary (including the crane & heavy machinery) for a job you "pick" based on your seniority.

I mentioned a CDL beacuse i know alot of people that took exam 3600 also took the sanitation exam ( which the cdl is required). So imho why not get your cdl while waiting, even if MTA does not work out your opportunities will expand.

And i understand it cost money also but for me i would rather have a cdl at hand when im qualified rather than have to train for it later.

Edited by bkdirect

It all depends on what he went to prison for. You have employees with felony convictions here.

He may be able to have his name re-instated if the last is still active.

As for uniforms boots will be issued. If they are not comfortable and hurt your feet you can have a Dr. fill out a form stating you need to purchase your own and you will be reimbursed a percentage of the cost. It's well worth it to keep your feet in good shape. Don't worry about being on probation.

Most guys are getting Timberland pros (TA gives you a paper with specs they have to meet) for just under a $100 online.

As for pants most wear jeans or overalls.

Shirts by the rule should be long sleeve even in the summer regardless of working Days or Nights when working around live rails. Some guys wear T-shirts and RARELY does anyone (supervisor) say anything about it. Most just wear long sleeved anyway to stay clean and keep their arms protected.

Nothing too flammable obviously.

Is training also on Saturday/Sunday?

I've been through Bus Operator training and NOT track worker and training was Monday to Friday unless there was a snowstorm or very inclement weather and then it was made up on the weekend. I am assuming the same for Track Worker training, especially since the Track Superintendents need to be at the various G.O. sites on the weekends.

Wassup guys been following this forum forever and couldn't figure out how to post finally got it lol basically went to 180 Livingston about 5 times getting the right paper and stuff number 18* and got into the class starting may18th a few questions

1.what do we wear to orientation

2. As a father and head of house hold is the pay the same for the 6 weeks training as it is for when we actually start working on the tracks

Thanks in advance

Track workers don't wear uniforms. I don't expect you to hit the tracks the first week of training. I chose track work because I didn't want to wear a uniform nor did I ever want to wear my hair in any way but my way. Dress casual for orientation and early training. When you go out into the field, you may want to dress protectively; eg. Long denim pants and long sleeve shirt. As someone mentioned earlier, you may want to stay clean and be protected from the live electrical currents surrounding you. I certainly don't intend to get too dirty, so I'll pick maintenance if I get a chance. I'll pick capital after I have a couple of years in and/or when I reach top pay.

As far as pay goes... You are scheduled to start class May 18th. That means you are a Transit employee and you are on their payroll. It is very likely that you will earn $20 an hour through training and for the first year.

By the way, track workers have to wear hard hats. The color of the hat will determine the title of the wearer.

By the way, track workers have to wear hard hats. The color of the hat will determine the title of the wearer.

All Track Workers wear a blue hard hat. The newer hard hats that came out a few years ago are baby blue and a different design than the older ones. That's the one the new/newer guys are assigned.

All Track Workers wear a blue hard hat. The newer hard hats that came out a few years ago are baby blue and a different design than the older ones. That's the one the new/newer guys are assigned.

Do you mind telling which trades wear what color hard hats? I recently seen a pic on a mta forum and guys in the pic had on red hard hats. I also seen another pic where guys had on grey hard hats. Just curious..