Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

didn't get mine yet. I'm in the 340s. What about you. What range are you in. Hoping to get mine ASAP so I could leave my current dead end job for something worth my time. It will come soon. I know because I'm on the current certification list for the upcoming class. Didnt know if that will be mid august or mid september. But it will be mid september at the latest according to how they have been scheduling the classes. Hopefully they will stay on their current hiring pace. I really need this.

Im in the 410s im hoping I get lucky and they reach my number with the next class but most likely the class after that. I might be wrong but I think they reached 150 in the first class and 270 in the second. If they do 150 people like the first class I should get called.

Im officially off of certification list according to DCAS message.  That means the next class was filled before my number was reached.  Good luck if you got in.

if you got in please give details on when class is scheduled to start.

Im officially off of certification list according to DCAS message. That means the next class was filled before my number was reached. Good luck if you got in.

if you got in please give details on when class is scheduled to start.

I'm off the cert as well gonna call today to see what is going on list 32* hopefully the system is just screwed up

On the notice of result paper it says if you have a change of name or address submit it to MTA NYC Transit, Examinations Unit at 180 Livingston Street, Room 4070, Brooklyn, NY 11201. It also says to include your name, new address, social security number, exam number, and exam title in the letter.

Im hoping its a mistake dunnlick and i believe it is because the list number of the last person hired is still 272.  That's what it was when the last class was filled.  Had they filled the current class that list number would have been higher.  So I hope to hear a change in the announcement soon or even better I hope to get a letter soon.

Im hoping its a mistake dunnlick and i believe it is because the list number of the last person hired is still 272. That's what it was when the last class was filled. Had they filled the current class that list number would have been higher. So I hope to hear a change in the announcement soon or even better I hope to get a letter soon.

I hope you do too see ya on the tracks I spoke with the guy dealing with the exam his name is Charlie and he said I just have I wait til they start hiring then I will get a call so it seemed as if being on cert or not doesn't really matter as long as you are on the list

Im hoping its a mistake dunnlick and i believe it is because the list number of the last person hired is still 272. 

If my memory is correct, this is according to DCAS and not NYC Transit's HR Department.

Not true. If you contact MTA HR or HQ at Livingston they will also tell you that the last person hired was 272. I had the MTA job hotline number but recently got a new phone after my old one broke. As soon as I can get the info off of my old phone I will post the phone number. 272 as the last hire to date is accurate but I will post the phone number so that anyone can confirm this information ASAP. MTA will give out this information very freely but is extremely tight lipped about when upcoming classes will be held. In addition to this I have been at Livingston plenty and have spoken to hiring agents as recently as today. They checked their computer records and confirmed as recently as today (8/17/2015) that the last hire is 272.

Not true. If you contact MTA HR or HQ at Livingston they will also tell you that the last person hired was 272. I had the MTA job hotline number but recently got a new phone after my old one broke. As soon as I can get the info off of my old phone I will post the phone number. 272 as the last hire to date is accurate but I will post the phone number so that anyone can confirm this information ASAP. MTA will give out this information very freely but is extremely tight lipped about when upcoming classes will be held. In addition to this I have been at Livingston plenty and have spoken to hiring agents as recently as today. They checked their computer records and confirmed as recently as today (8/17/2015) that the last hire is 272.

1 (347) 643-8229

1 (347) 643-8230

1 (347) 643-8231

1 (347) 643-8232 these are the numbers for the folk at Livingston and this one 1 (347) 643-8484 is the number for the gentlemen that had to answer my question about being on a outstanding certification I left a message and he returned my call within the hour he assured me the last number called was 272 and that they aren't hiring at this time and that I should be getting a call when they do start hiring again, we'll see what happens but as we have all come to learn this is a very long process just gotta wait

I think they are actually starting to look for people now because if I remember correctly when they were calling for the first class It said I was not on an outstanding certification. But when they finished it said I was on an outstanding certification.

Don't worry Dunnlick...they ARE hiring.  Current trackworkers can testify to the ridiculous amount of overtime they are getting.  That overtime is coming primarily because they are understaffed and desperately need more people.  The current understaffed situation is mainly the result of the hiring freeze after the 2008 financial crisis.  Since transit didn't really hire people for almost 7 years a lot of work that should have been done during that 7 year time period has been neglected .  Now they are playing catch up and they won't catch up anytime soon so they will continue to hire more people.  Add to this the fact that a lot of guys are finally retiring and I would say to you that anyone who tells you transit is not hiring trackworkers right now is a stone cold liar. 

As a matter of fact I saw a news report earlier today about how much work needs to be done to the subway system.  They were saying something like " some of the E, F, and other subway stations will be closed for months for repairs"  maybe someone could clarify because i was almost sleeping when it came on the TV.  In addition to all of this we are coming up on the holiday season.  It is going to get cold and it is going to snow.  That means more overtime and more hiring to try to stop the bleeding and to get the work done.  For people like you and me who are waiting it seems like it is taking forever, but trust me they are hiring and when we get in we will be getting overtime simply because we will be coming in just before the holiday season.  We will be in very soon.  Im sure these people in the office are tired of getting harassed.  Telling anyone who calls that "we are not currently hiring for that position" is the best way to get you to stop calling.

Good luck again.  Trust me I feel the same way.  I've decided to stop looking for that letter when I come home from work everyday and I have started a countdown to help me stay patient.  This is week 1.  That letter will come either the 1st or 2nd week of September so that we could be processed for the mid September class if there is one.  I have 2 more weeks after this Friday left.  That's not a long time to wait.  If I look at it any other way I will be pulling my hair out in frustration.  2 more weeks after this Friday (and a lot of drinks in between then and now).  Thats not a long time to wait.

Edited by UPO 1

Don't worry Dunnlick...they ARE hiring. Current trackworkers can testify to the ridiculous amount of overtime they are getting. That overtime is coming primarily because they are understaffed and desperately need more people. The current understaffed situation is mainly the result of the hiring freeze after the 2008 financial crisis. Since transit didn't really hire people for almost 7 years a lot of work that should have been done during that 7 year time period has been neglected . Now they are playing catch up and they won't catch up anytime soon so they will continue to hire more people. Add to this the fact that a lot of guys are finally retiring and I would say to you that anyone who tells you transit is not hiring trackworkers right now is a stone cold liar.

As a matter of fact I saw a news report earlier today about how much work needs to be done to the subway system. They were saying something like " some of the E, F, and other subway stations will be closed for months for repairs" maybe someone could clarify because i was almost sleeping when it came on the TV. In addition to all of this we are coming up on the holiday season. It is going to get cold and it is going to snow. That means more overtime and more hiring to try to stop the bleeding and to get the work done. For people like you and me who are waiting it seems like it is taking forever, but trust me they are hiring and when we get in we will be getting overtime simply because we will be coming in just before the holiday season. We will be in very soon. Im sure these people in the office are tired of getting harassed. Telling anyone who calls that "we are not currently hiring for that position" is the best way to get you to stop calling.

Good luck again. Trust me I feel the same way. I've decided to stop looking for that letter when I come home from work everyday and I have started a countdown to help me stay patient. This is week 1. That letter will come either the 1st or 2nd week of September so that we could be processed for the mid September class if there is one. I have 2 more weeks after this Friday left. That's not a long time to wait. If I look at it any other way I will be pulling my hair out in frustration. 2 more weeks after this Friday (and a lot of drinks in between then and now). Thats not a long time to wait.

Yeah you are right if that's all we gotta wait hope that's it that would be awesome just gotta stay optimistic

For anyone already on the job what time did training start and are there different times for classes? Also once you are established and increased seniority can you pick your shift and is there a 4 p.m to midnight shift available. Thanks in advance for any input

For anyone already on the job what time did training start and are there different times for classes? Also once you are established and increased seniority can you pick your shift and is there a 4 p.m to midnight shift available. Thanks in advance for any input

I think school(training)is from 7am - 3pm, Mon - Fri. As far as I know this is the only time and days they hold classes. Someone who has been through it recently can verify this. There are no 4pm - 11pm shifts. There are some 3pm - 11pm tours in ERT(emergency response team)and a few 3:30pm -11:30pm jobs in work trains. Getting a CDL will help with getting some of those jobs.

Thanks for the info, what shifts do they have for track worker?

6am - 2pm(linden shop) 7am - 3pm(linden shop, ERT) 8am - 4pm(maintenance days, capital days) 3pm - 11pm(ERT) 3:30pm - 11:30pm(work trains) 10pm - 6am(maintenance nights, capital nights) 11pm - 7am(maintenance nights). These are all the tours(shifts)for track workers.

The 10pm-6am shift would allow me to keep my current job which I really do not want to leave, but it doesn't have the benefits the MTA offers. Would the MTA have an issue with me keeping my current job as well as working for them?

You would have to fill out a dual employment form, and mta still have to approve it..

Still no letters yet? Hope they get a class started soon. Been reading the other forums and people in other crafts are starting class this month. Don't know how that would affect the timetable for track class. I don't know how much space they have to train more than one craft at a time.

Still no letters yet? Hope they get a class started soon. Been reading the other forums and people in other crafts are starting class this month. Don't know how that would affect the timetable for track class. I don't know how much space they have to train more than one craft at a time.

What crafts are these? And they shouldnt affect a track class. There are always multiple classes going on at once